Isaac
Years ago

76ers draft Jonah Bolden with 36th pick

Jonah Bolden
PF, 6'10", 225 pounds
FMP Beograd (Serbia)
Surely not a stretch to get an athletic big at this point of the draft? What are the criticisms of his game?

Topic #41433 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

Does this mean he gets a guaranteed contract for the coming season?

Reply #638320 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Main criticism is he is a swingman 'trapped' in a wonderfully long and athletic stretch four body. Allergic to post-play on both offense and defense.

Reply #638321 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Main criticism is he is a swingman 'trapped' in a wonderfully long and athletic stretch four body. Allergic to post-play on both offense and defense.

Reply #638322 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I think only first rounders are guaranteed.

But with NBA teams expanding to 17 rostered players next season it might be easier for a second rounder to stick.

Lots of 76ers fans are referring to Bolden as a sign and stash asset for next year.

Reply #638324 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Only first 2 years of 1st rounders guaranteed with team options for yr 3 & 4 and can only vary 80-120% of a set wage scale. 2nd round picks must negotiate their own terms but no set scale so may end up getting paid more than 1st rounders.

Reply #638326 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

He has 2 more years on his Euro deal, but has NBA buyout.
It may depend on how well he does in Summer League.
If he plays well they may want him to go to NBA straight away, even to play in the G League.

Reply #638348 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Reply #638360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feeling old seeing all these kids of players I grew up watching becoming pros. Good luck to them. Could have a good father/son game.

Reply #638481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, why would you start off the post asking for criticism of Bolden, instead of congratulating another Aussie being drafted into the NBA??

Reply #638567 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Because criticisms aren't always a bad thing, as highlights only show the very best of a player, knowing their weaknesses and what they still need to work on would give someone a better idea of their chances of actually making it onto the full roster of an NBA team, maybe?

Reply #638572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie- Agreed. I was trying to get a gauge on some of the drafted players, Bolden included and his highlight tape was basically full of dunks.

Dunks are great, but I get it, he is athletic! What else can he do? Stretch the floor? Create off the dribble? Play solid post and wing D?

Reply #638577 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, why would you start off the post asking for criticism of Bolden, instead of congratulating another Aussie being drafted into the NBA??
Saying I didn't think it was a stretch to grab him was complimentary. And I've seen videos of him playing that looked great, so I was effectively asking why he wasn't drafted higher. That ability/size/athleticism without flaws would be a top ten pick ordinarily.

Other than that, the thread is for announcement/discussion - it's not like he reads Hoops and there is much value in offering congratulations, right?

Reply #638579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:22 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754