SteveK2
Years ago

Corey Webster cleared of punching charge

The 28-year-old Tall Black has been on trial, accused of pulling a man's beard and hitting another at the Takapuna Bar in late November, while celebrating his birthday with friends.
But Judge Alit Singh dismissed the allegation of punching at the North Shore District Court today, saying there wasn't enough reliable evidence.
That assault charge has now been changed to only allege Webster grabbed a man's hoodie.
Full story

Topic #41451 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have been surpised if he wasn't dismissed based on the horrible evidence. It's actually surpising it went to trial based on the prosocutions witness's.

Reply #638642 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Agree with above.

The prosecutions evidence (Namkung) was not credible in respect of the punching allegations. It seems strange, in my opinion, to then proceed on the other allegation based on the same (not credible) witness.

Presumably Judge Singh is erring on the side of caution and wishes to afford a fair opportunity for submissions first, prior to any determination.

I found it entertaining when the police prosecutor said his own witness was confused about recalling the brawl to which the Judge asked: "are you impeaching your own witness?"

If the second charge is also dismissed, I feel sorry for Corey. Whilst his contract was, as I understand it, terminated due to breaking team protocool, I personally think that the overhang of the charges were also a factor. Whilst sports stars should get their fare share if convicted of certain offences, you can't help but feel that they get a raw end of the stick (from an image standpoint, reputation and through their contracts/endorsements) just from going through the judicial system; even if later acquitted or where their charges are dismissed.

I'll reserve judgment until determination on the second charge, but I personally can't help but feel the prosecution were out to get a 'bigger fish' than your ordinary North Shore "Mr Smith"; the evidence was circumstantial. They already had the intent to injure charge thrown out; the shorts/trousers and the colour of the cap was misidentified. The other witness, the bar manager, could not "remember any faces" from the fight or identify the attacker. Again, I'll reserve my full analysis until after, but I'm bothered by this as a taxpayer.

Reply #638644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would Webster get legal fees reimbursed at all? Who pays that?
I'm assuming he'd at least get something back.

Who does the prosecutor answer to for such a poor job and a clear waste of public funds?

Reply #638656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who charged him in the first place is the issue.

Reply #638657 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754