Anonymous
Years ago

2nd Adelaide NBL team .... name suggestions

I think it has been spoken about in the past, I was interested what ideas people had for a name for a 2nd Adelaide NBL team should one ever begin.

I think Southern Stars would be a good one.

Topic #4148 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

we could not support two teams, we are having a hard time with one at the moment. How about the 2nd class'

Reply #48152 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

What about Adelaide Turnups?.
They will never have a crowd 'turn up'. Time to put this idea to bed.

Reply #48153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about if they were to offer season tickets at half the price of the 36ers?

Reply #48155 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Cant see anthor team ... Surviveing
how ever if they did manage to become cheaper then the sixers and iron out some of the major problems the sixers have ....

But really putting a competive team on the floor would be the main reason...

Cant personally see it happening

Reply #48160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great points DC

Reply #48180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not? Basketball is great in your state... you all love it. In vic, compared to footy basketball as a spectator sport is a non event, you guys pack out that bad boy of a gym every night for your teams.

Reply #48191 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Maybe the Adelaide Chicks!

Reply #48199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt Sabres.

We could take all ofour junior players and coaches back and make a competitive team.

Reply #48226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Sharks ????

Reply #48229 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

With the new development at the Port, there's plenty of room for another stadium, Docklands style.

Give the Bearcats a licence I say.

Starting 5 2007

PG - Brad McKinnon, fresh out of rehab for a fairytale comeback

SG - Mike McKay - returns to NBL purely to taunt DC. Wins inaugral 3 point shootout at All-Star game

SF - Paul Bell - As CEO, Captain and Coach, Belly puts himself on the perimeter, only using the drop step for game-winners.

PF - Shane Crothers - he wanted to play, and no one had the guts to say he couldn't. Peter Ali off the bench

C - Big Willie Simmons. Every team needs a player with goggles.

Sponsored by Allan Scott

Reply #48231 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

We are definitely running out of 'good' electricity related names for another Adelaide team.

Can't do Power, Lightening, Force...

How about the Port Watt's?

Other potentials are the Port Capacitors, Southern Resistance (could work, its nearly as lame as the Force or Power), or Northern Generators (I think we already have some of those at Port Augusta).

Reply #48240 | Report this post

fudgeman  
Years ago

i like the sound of sturt sabres, what a great name

Reply #48284 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As much as I am a Woodville person, having Sturt as a second team entering the NBL isnt that silly. They have a lot of the facilities and infrastructure in place already, they would just need to get used to doing it in a bigger version. Question with that though would be what would happen to the 99.9% of the 36ers who are Sturt people??)

Reply #48314 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Who would the Sixers pick their squads from ? LOL .. would there be a club of origin rule ?

see if Isaac bites ?

Reply #48317 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

i got 3 names that i reckon would be good:

Southern Spooners (for the wooden spoon they'd be getting)

Southern Scrubbas (for the only people that the team could afford when the NBL keeps cutting salary cap)

Southern Smackheads (for the people who think that a 2nd team in a town as small as adelaide would be financially viable)

Reply #48339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not always about making money.

There are other ways to profit from a basketball franchise then just the ticket sales.

Reply #48356 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh there sponsorship, they can get it from a cutlery company.

The Southern "Spoons R Us" Spooners

Reply #48361 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

By the way, you say its not all about money, but without money, sports teams dont exist. Especially for new ones, they need big money to get something running, theyd need massive sponsorships and big ticket sales.

Reply #48362 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or just someone with money to play with.

Reply #48368 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Let's stick to the one team, put all our resources into it and make it one great team instead of two mediocre teams. It would not do justice to Adelaide to have two mediocre teams that would never win a championship. If you are to have a 2nd NBL team, you need to make it NBL calibre. That may take away from the team we already have. You would also have to apply the same salary cap which Adelaide is not equipped to cope with at the moment. Without the same salary cap, you wouldn't attract the players that would make it competitive.

Reply #48378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think a new team could spend the full salary cap and also look after their players.

Time will tell whether Adelaide will embrace another team and whether the NBL let them.

Reply #48387 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Why do people want a new team? Are you that indifferent towards the 36ers that you could just desert them for another team.

Having another team here would suck. It would never draw the support away from the 36ers, it would just dilute the ever diminishing resources of basketball in the city. And it would fail.

Sorry guys, I couldn't think of a worse idea.

Reply #48401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a worse idea would be to create a womens team called the adelaide fellas....
ITS BEEN DONE

Reply #48525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

call it norwood,u could have jenni clarkes picture on the unifom.they make $40,000 out of the easter carnival ,that will help with funding.

Reply #49433 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:24 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754