Ball
Years ago

AJC championships U16 thread and stream?

Hi all just starting a thread for discussion with the nationals starting tomorrow also will the games be streamed and if so where ?

Topic #41489 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only gold medal games streamed again which is pretty pathetic.

Reply #639252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys favourites sa m already upset by nsw c.

Reply #639257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld N were boys favourites, IMO. But NSWC over SAM definitely a massive early upset.

Reply #639274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Metro boys still favs with QLD Nth. Don't forget they're kids it is a long week and plenty of time to recover.

Reply #639276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAM boys 37 turnovers! Wow

Reply #639295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And NZ announcing themselves as title contenders up 40 in the 4th v NSW Country. Wouldn't surprise me if 3 of the top 4 are from that pool

Reply #639296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Early on, final 4 looking like
Qld n, vic m, wa m, nz Boys
Vic m, sa m, vic c, nsw m girls

Reply #639298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ a very athletic and physical unit for 16's. Across the board there doesn't look as much talent as Kilsyth last year.

Reply #639304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Pretty down on talent this year.
I still see a few players making Asian champs though.

Reply #639307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely Wigness in the boys, a couple may make the squad of 18 but not the final team.

Reply #639328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 centres will also.

Reply #639349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How far off are the listed heights? I'm guessing the kids listed sub-160 are generally mistakes but are there a few genuine bigs kicking around? Based on the published team lists, only SAM, Vic Met, and WA Met have one kid each 6'8" or taller. If that's accurate, it's a pretty small age group in the 4/5 spots.

Reply #639351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No comparison to Kilsyth with some unbelievable winning margins that are completely mind blowing! BA what is going on

Reply #639399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 best Aussie post players currently in u16s
Vic m C 6'8
Nsw c C 6'5
Wa m C 6'5
Qld s C 6'7

Not very big at all.
3 months from Asia qualifiers and Another year until worlds.
Some may grow another inch by that time but assuming some of these young blokes will be chosen to represent Aus, we will be very small compared to last u17s where our front line was 6'10, 6'10, 6'8, 6'7, 6'7.

Reply #639402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 01 group ain't that big either.
Some good Pfs at 6'5-6'6 but no real stand centres.

2 guys at 6'6-6'7 who both played u16 last year and u18 this year.

Reply #639403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand is going to begin out qualifying our boys for both wc's soon.
U19 did not make it, scraped through on last second shot the previous time.

Reply #639412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed #403 no standout 01 bigs at 18's. Two 01 guards in top five scorers for the week and a forward fourth in rebounds. Some decent talent but it's at shooting guard or small forward. This may be ok for the Asia champs but some work needs to be done before the worlds in the 4-5 spots.

Reply #639415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the info on heights, I was surprised reading the program. Will be very interesting to see how they select the squads given the lack of size in the front court. Taking a 6'8" guy to Worlds to play the 5 doesn't make much sense to me.

As for the margins, 50 has not been an unusual gap between top and bottom, historically speaking. It's really just NT with the two losses of over 70 that are crazy, and that happens every now and then with the territory sides because there's so little depth. And it was foreseeable with this NT group after Darwin and Alice finished 22nd and 24th at Club Champs.

Reply #639425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel incredibly sorry for NT basketball. SAC just beat them by close to 70 and SAC have already had two 50+ defeats?
You need them in the competition but this team is by far the worst ever!

Reply #639445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon they might be splitting nz into north and south in the future.

Reply #639449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good for NZ, and I reckon it's good for us, too.

Reply #639456 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NSW Metro Men go down to Tasmania in what would be an upset result.
Could mean now they may finish outside of top 4 and who they crossover against for Quarters.

Reply #639465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys top 4
A-nz, qld n
B-vic m, qld s

Girls top 4
A-Vic m
B-sa m, nsw m, vic c

Reply #639469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think by this time next year you'll see some decent growth spurts.

Imo we will end up with a front line of 6'9, 6'8, 6'8, 6'6, 6'6.
3 from 01, 2 from 02.

Sfs-6'6, 6'6
Sgs-6'5, 6'3, 6'3
Pgs-5'11, 6'1

Last u17 team..
6'0, 6'1, 6'1, 6'4, 6'4, 6'6, 6'7, 6'7, 6'7, 6'8, 6'10, 6'10
In comparison
5'11, 6'1, 6'3, 6'3, 6'5, 6'6, 6'6, 6'6, 6'6, 6'8, 6'8, 6'9

Not a huge difference really.

Reply #639474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

talent is the difference

Reply #639480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair to say the hosts have under-performed, particularly the much hyped Metro Men. Could be an all QLD Gold Medal Mens game, as South have slipped under the radar a bit with all of the focus on the star studded North lineup. Vic M & NZ for the bronze I reckon.

Reply #639485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz vs vic m grand final

Reply #639486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ, VM, 2 QLD teams and a weeks worth of daylight

Reply #639495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best WA Country team in a while. Have the potential to knock off NSW Country tomorrow, which could play a big role in finals placings.

It could be an all-Qld gold medal game, but I think the odds favour NZ-Vic Met with the Qld teams playing for bronze. There's still a lot up in the air, though. Results in pool B could still see SA Met finish 3rd, and despite the game 1 result, they're a better team than NSW Country. That gives Qld South a much tougher matchup in the QF and could certainly see them miss the medals. If SAM finish 4th, though, I think the top 2 from each pool will go to semis.

Talent might be down but it makes for a more interesting event when finals placings aren't determined halfway through pool play.

Reply #639496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If potter has a bad game, are vic metro women beatable?

Reply #639497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next years talent is real good in the women's for those born 03/04.

Reply #639498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents lol

Reply #639500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a parent but have seen futures squads in 4 states.

Reply #639502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ toughness double day of the tournament with Qld Nth and SAM.
$ still on a NZ v VM gold game.

Reply #639506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Yes and have to wonder what impact that will have come finals. VicM and QldS both yet to play a single digit game, almost all players sitting between 15-25 minutes a game. NZ, SAM and QldN all have kids playing massive minutes in tighter contests.

Reply #639523 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really pleasing to see how well SA metro girls are performing, their ladder spot of 3rd only on percentage doesn't really reflect how well they have been playing. I predict they will medal if they beat NZ today. The Metro boys doing quite well too sitting in 3rd currently in their pool.

i find it perplexing that there is such a focus on height in threads about under 16's, these kids are 13 - 15! boys growth only really takes off from 15 generally.

Reply #639529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, have you observed the growth of our elite junior boys from u16 onwards? A kid who is 6'8" at 15 years old is almost never going to see his growth "take off" after that point. Amongst the guards there might be a lot more differentiation now, with the 180 kid who's done growing a totally different prospect to the 180 kid who ends up 195.

Yes there'll be changes to the size of the age group. But these kids are so far off the growth chart that suggesting their growth patterns follow that of the general population is silly.

And size matters when it comes to matching up at international events, which is what some of these kids are about to be selected for.

Reply #639537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL at stressing over kids' heights... relax parents

Reply #639546 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To the above - yeah mate, some kids (yes even really tall elite basketballers) grow steadily and thinking we are doomed at match ups in the future is a bit much. Calm down! Also, don't think for a second there isn't a few kids who didn't make these state squads who aren't waiting in the wings and working - who says this lot here is the be all and end alll.

So much obsession with height.

Reply #639578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some good guards that never made state squads also.

Reply #639579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How bad are Vic Country in the boys? Just played Tassie and got beaten by a Tassie team that arent big or all that good! Could drop as low as 14th considering we were silver medalists last year in Kilsyth. The standard of competition is nowhere near last either.

Reply #639666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah worst vic country team in some time.

Reply #639711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The talent right across the board is down from previous years U16's. Wont be to many of these kids apart from Wigness being named in the Asia squads.

Reply #639713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the two leading rebounders will make the team along with Wigness.
The other 9 from 01.

Reply #639714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with the above, worst Vic Country result for some time and a massive drop off from last year, although last years team may have been a bit of a one off.

Reply #639725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to the vic country pf that didn't make the team last minute? Injured?

Reply #639731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game of the tournament coming up...
Vic m vs sa m.

Reply #639763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Semis

Boys
Nz vs qld Sth
Vic m vs qld nth

Girls
Nsw m vs vic c
Vic m vs sa m

Prediction
Nz vs vic m final boys
Nsw m vs vic m girls

Reply #639776 | Report this post

Jayden K Smith  
Years ago

SA M and Vic M - 1 round too early

Reply #639788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vics have looked a class above so far in the boys, but Qld North seem to be trending the right direction while NZ look tired. I think the boys' top 4 goes Vic, Qld N, NZ, Qld S on ability but they can't finish in that order. I give whoever wins the Vic/Qld N semi the best shot at gold, and whoever loses it the best shot at bronze.

Reply #639795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty pumped to see a all queensland final! we were robbed our of state classics and this has proven many doubters wrong! Go queensland south!

Reply #639882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why robbed, what happened?

Reply #639885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

robbed? who got robbed?

Reply #639886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Queensland U16 state classics was cancelled due to floods in mackay.

Reply #639887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One hope, one quest, wigness the fitness

Reply #639888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Championships got cancelled because of cyclone Debbie

Reply #639889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the people who got "robbed" were the victims of the cyclone and floods rather than those affected by the cancellation of a basketball tournament.

Reply #639892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No evidence in that final that anyone was beating Cairns at Classics anyway

Reply #639903 | Report this post

Doggr  
Years ago

What a great game to both Vic country/metro girls. Kudos to all involved. What a game watching from home didn't bother me who would win but basketball was showcased tonite. Be rep ready this Friday cause we're all keen again after the break.

Reply #639907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final standings-boys

Qld n (gold)
Qld s (silver)
Vic m (bronze)
Nz
Sa m
Nsw m
Wa m
Nsw c
Tas
Sa c
Vic c
Wa c
Nt
Act

Surprises..
An all qld final
Nz top 4
Some peoples Favourites sa m 5th
Highly touted wa m 7th
Last years runners up vic c 11th
Nt not finishing bottom

Reply #639910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Final standings-girls

Vic m (gold)
Vic c (gold)
Nsw m (bronze)
Sa m
Nz
Nsw c
Qld s
Wa m
Tas
Qld n
Act
Sa c
Wa c
Nt

Reply #639911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Oops vic c (silver)

Reply #639912 | Report this post

jboogie  
Years ago

WAM and VCC have to be the two most disappointing performers on the male side. WAM on home soil showed they weren't close to top tier teams and VCC showed no signs of life until the last game against perennial cellar dwellers WAC. Hopefully next year they can both bounce back, more parity to push the likes of VCM and both QLD teams that have dominated AJC's recently on the men's side.

Reply #639916 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NSW results not that great either except for Metro women.

Where were Seebohm and Kirwan.

Too busy on a US Tour instead of being there watching the players who they are suppose to be making better through SPP and the the other so called programs.

Reply #639943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WAM 7th was pretty solid considering they played half the week with 8!

Reply #639949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few stand alones for both girls and boys and should make upcoming Aus rep camps.

Pretty sure it will be an all Victorian gf in the girls next year.
Nsw m vs vic m in the boys.

Reply #639950 | Report this post

jboogie  
Years ago

Maybe so for some of their games but WAM getting blown out by 30 to QLDS with a full team should they are still way off from the better programs such as Vic and QLD

Reply #639973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give credit where it is due , the population bias to the larger states makes it almost impossible for regions such as ACT, NT, WA ,SA and TAS to compete at the top level.
I saw some great talent from Tassie ,WA and SA over the week but certainly the lack of depth affected these teams , both metro and country. Tassie stood out to me as the State who punched above their weight at this carnival . SA metro also performed well , girls always seem strongand boys were ok given they took some time to get it together.

Reply #639980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would add Qld going 1/2 in the boys is an amazing effort , knocking out Vic M and NSW m is huge !

Reply #639981 | Report this post

Bigballer  
Years ago

SA Metro Boys and Girls finishing 4th and 5th, great achievement and as touched on above, considering SA is drawing from a very small pool of kids this is awesome and a testament to the work being put in at NITP, Futures and the clubs.

Reply #639983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QLD North batting well above average then if you're talking population bias. They have nowhere near the player base to draw from. How do they win 2 golds in 3 years with completely different players and coaches?

Reply #639990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The trend shows that "country" teams in general are faced with an absolute massive challenge to both prepare and then to compete at this level. Metro teams have a better Network of coaches and more sound systems. The odd team (Qld N and VC) for example in both boys and girls manage to challenge but it is due to 1-2 outstanding players and some old fashioned grunt. Imagine how good some of these players could be with better coaching and greater opportunity??

In saying that well done to both Qld Nth and VC for their unbelievable achievements, the respective State HP coaches should be very proud indeed.

Reply #640000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would have to agree Qld is doing a great job ! I spose we should be considering participation rates as much as anything.
Also agree we should be praising the country programs a bit more considering the extra challenges they face.

Reply #640006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somebody fark this weird spammer off.

Reply #640391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He may be a spy communicating in code.

Reply #640396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754