Yinka Dare
Years ago

Lonzo Ball A Bust?

In Lonzo Ball's first summer league game he had a shocker. Had 5 points on 2/15fg including 1/11 3fg. Most of the other top picks have put up good numbers so far. Is he a potential bust? Pressure get to him? Just a bad game? Why is he shooting so many threes?

For all the hype his dad gave him I expected more. LA Lakers and Magic willl be hoping for a big improvement in his next game.

Topic #41493 | Report this topic

Sen dog  
Years ago

LOL just slightly premature.

Reply #639265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call, one summer league game often foreshadows a career.

Reply #639266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delete this thread haha

Reply #639267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, I could not live with a dad like that. The guy is hella irritating.

Reply #639270 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It's one of the worst summer league performances I can recall for a top pick. Won't end up meaning anything in the long run, but I'd be a little concerned if I were a Lakers fan given how good Fox, Fultz and now even Smith have looked so far.

Reply #639273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without changing his shooting form, he's going to have to get really crafty about using screens. The fact that he's only an off-the-dribble shooting threat in one direction is a massive concession in the face of NBA-level defence.

There are other concerns, like that his college FT% was so poor, and that's historically been a better predictor of NBA 3P% than has college 3P%. And that he may struggle to defend NBA PGs.

I actually think he seems like a pretty switched on kid who should be receptive to coaching, making adjustments, and just doing what he needs to do to be successful. The problem with his dad, though, is what that does to the expectations of a fan base who might give him a pretty hard time if he takes longer than expected to be effective.

Reply #639275 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

A lot of his shots were wide open shots too, maybe too anxious? Couple of times he looked really hesitant on PnR, opting to pass instead of driving hard with the lane open so that's a bit worrying. Could be Magic making sure they don't injure themselves by pushing too hard or aggressive in SL. He put his foot down and said no when Ingram wanted to go back in after he went down.

Reply #639279 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Triple Double today. Think he will struggle early on in his career maybe in a similar way to Simmons might but he sure is fun to watch when he is on. Just has something. Also loving this pick by Ainge, Tatum is going to be great.

Reply #639287 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

You don't lead the country in assists over a college season if you can't play. Yes he does unfortunately have ADHD (absolute dick head dad) but hopefully the Lakers can put the right guys around him so he doesn't have to be shooting it too much. The other aspects of his offensive game are good. He sees people ahead on the court and rewards people for running the floor. Could be a great NBA PG.
And yes the Celts have got a real good one in Tatum. He'll be an all star sooner rather than later. One of my favourite players in the short time he was at Duke. Just wish he'd gone to another team. As a Lakers fan and a despiser of Ainge.....yuck

Reply #639290 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Hopefully you guys covey that pick to us this year, i'm sure Lonzo will be able to get a good education watching Tatum compete in the east playoffs ;-) I just pray to god James does not go to you guys next year as that would be all levels of wrong in my world.

Reply #639294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 2nd game a triple double...facepalm

Reply #639312 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd still like to see him knock down some 3s at the NBA range - just 1 from 5 again today. Michael Carter-Williams put up some pretty great point/rebound/assist totals in his first couple of years in Philly.

Reply #639316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm confused, first he's a bust, now hes Russell Westbrook. Hmmm, I might wait till season starts now before listening to predictions.

Reply #639319 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The first post saying he was a bust was just tripe. I don't see anyone suggesting he's Westbrook (he's a very different type of PG anyway). He's potentially a very good player, with things to work on.

Reply #639327 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I managed to watch some of his 2nd SL game and found myself liking how he went... Wanted to dislike him because of his Dad, but can't really hold that against him... Pulled off some really nice passes and obviously ended up with a great stat line, so the potential is there, but will be good to see him play against proper strength teams... Just wish his Dad would STFU... Funny watching Magic being interviewed and saying that he was cool with Lavar, but he's got to understand that Lonzo is a pro now and he's got to sit back...

Reply #639332 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Dickhead dad is not going to be shutting up any time soon. Don't forget there's 2 more boys coming through that he's going to be talking up as well.

Bottom line is if Lonzo delivers on the court, everyone can hate the stupid old man as much as they want, it won't matter. If he's not performing then it does place a lot of pressure on him if Dad doesn't cool it.

Reply #639335 | Report this post

Years ago

Lavar is the man. Supports his sons 110%. Constantly behind them.

Many NBA players don't even have a dad.

Reply #639337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to give credit though, Lavar has made himself into a celebrity and only 1/3rd of the way through in relation to his sons being drafted into the league.

Effectively in addition to his three sons he has effectively created a name for himself which will probably mean $$$ down the track. Wouldn't rule out media projects for him in future.

Reply #639340 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I have no problems with him supporting his kids, just wish he'd cut the stupid crap like "I could beat Jordan 1 on 1" etc etc. Some would say "marketing genius" and I guess he can count his dollars and laugh while everyone thinks he's a douche

Reply #639342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically yes.

Reply #639344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol @ 1/3 of the way through getting his sons drafted. The next one, LiAngelo, is not going to be an NBA player. And the youngest, LaMelo, might be, but he has a long way to go to get there and doesn't seem as level-headed as Lonzo.

It is 'marketing genius' from Lavar but it's pretty depressing how little intelligence is required to qualify for marketing genius these days. Find some idiot reporter and say something outrageous and next thing you know you're ESPN's biggest story. All the stupid crap he spouts is only worth something because they keep reporting on it. Why can't the 'journalists' realise that Lonzo's a pro now and they don't have to report on his dad? They're the stupid ones, not Lavar.

Reply #639348 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

"Many NBA players don't even have a dad"

Genetically impossible.

Reply #639350 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I didn't say the other 2 were even the slightest chance of getting drafted. I said he'd be talking them up :)

Reply #639353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The media seems to be promoting the other two as NBA players too. Probably due to the BS generated by Lavar's publicity. Well played.

Reply #639356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duke Fan, you're not the only other person on the thread. Anon 340 said Lavar is only 1/3 of the way through getting his sons drafted.

Reply #639384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LaVar is 1/3rd of the way through. Irrespective of whether the other two sons are NBA quality or not his mission is to get them drafted as well. Something Anon #348 failed to comprehend.

Reply #639394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... which then was followed up by Duke Fan's reply showing how he thinks the world revolves around him which was described well by Anon #384

#cliffsnotes

Reply #639395 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Hahaha. Anonymous tough guys. Gotta love em

Reply #639426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha. Duke Fan tough guys. Gotta love em

Reply #639435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754