Billo
Years ago

USA v Puerto Rico

Oh my goodness.

"PUERTO Rico upset the United States 92-73 at the men's Olympic basketball tournament today, the first loss at the Games for the three-times defending gold medallists since 1988.

The US never led after early in the first quarter. They were down by 22 points at half-time and by 17 points after three quarters.

Utah Jazz guard Carlos Arroyo led Puerto Rico with 24 points. Tim Duncan had 15 for the Americans."

It's one thing if they go down to Argentina, but Puerto Rico......

Topic #415 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Pretty huge result.

If they've been thrashed by PR, there's no guarantee of them beating Greece (all players 6'5"+) or Lithuania.

Australia fared no better against Greece. 2 assists for the entire game!

Reply #3093 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

"Men : GINOBILI and Argentina stun world champs 15 Aug. 2004

ATHENS, August 15 - A replay of the last World Championship final lived up to its billing on Sunday, 15 August, when Emanuel GINOBILI (ARG) hit a midair shot on the final buzzer to give Argentina an 83-82 victory over Serbia and Montenegro in preliminary Group A.

After Dejan TOMASEVIC put Serbia and Montenegro ahead at the foul line with 3.8 seconds left, Argentina raced the length of the floor before GINOBILI fired his shot off the glass and through the hoop as the buzzer sounded.

GINOBILI led the Argentines with 27 points, while Andres NOCIONI added 12 and Luis SCOLA 11.

Vladimir RADMANOVIC led world champion Serbia and Montenegro with 21 points, Igor RAKOCEVIC scored 19, Dejan BODIROGA 16 and Milos VUJANIC 15.

GINOBILI scored 17 of his points in the first quarter, among them four 3-point strikes, whilst RADMANOVIC and VUJANIC hit three 3-pointers to finish the first half at 49-39 to Argentina.

Serbia and Montenegro attacked strongly in the third quarter, when RADMANOVIC and RAKOCEVIC sparked a 9-0 run that put the score at 51-48 to Argentina and by the end of the quarter, the difference was down to a basket, 61-59.

The lead went to Serbia and Montenegro early in the fourth quarter and went back and forth until consecutive drives by RAKOCEVIC and a cool 3-pointer by BODIROGA put Serbia and Montenegro in front, 78-75, with 2:35 to play.

Argentina seemed defeated until GINOBILI reemerged with a driving lay up and was fouled with 16.4 seconds left to tie the score at 81-81.

TOMASEVIC hit one of his two free throws to put Serbia and Montenegro up by a point, but 3.8 seconds gave GINOBILI enough time to exact revenge for Argentina's overtime loss in the last World Championship final."

just proving he is one of the most clutch players in the world.

Reply #3200 | Report this post

X_factor  
Years ago

Get used to it guys....this ain't no dream team. I've said it all along, the USA will not win a medal in mens basketball. No shaq, no medal!

Reply #3201 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saw an article on ESPN yesterday detailing all the players who turned down the chance to represent their country, and their list of excuses (weddings, resting, etc).

I liked Shaq's excuse best: already got a gold -- time to give someone else a chance.

That ain't what Thorpe said after the false start...

Reply #3217 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Highlights of the game were on after Roy and H.G last night. The Jazz point guard killed the US guards and Casiano put on an unbelievable shooting display.
A couple of observations about the US.

1. They have no shooters (Drewy Gaze was calling Jefferson a shooter during the call. Don't think so)
2. Teams know to beat this US team to play zone
3. There was a lot of whinging from the US when a foul was called on them.
4. The Puerto Ricans were much more relaxed than the US.

Would have been good to put a couple of bucks on the US NOT to win the gold...

Do the aussies have a chance to beat them Thursday?? Possibly, but I think the Boomers have their own problems to sort out first.

Reply #3228 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

Unfortunately I think the Aussies are just about the only team that don'y have a chance against the Americans. They play similar styles, Americans are just better.

Aussies arn't used to playing much zone either, as was seen against Greece.

Reply #3249 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

USA looked completely rattled...like spoilt kids not getting what they wanted.

Arroyo for Puerto Rico killed them! How good was that steal and lay up.

I did hear Gaze call Jefferson a shooter, that was a bit embarrasing. He pronounced Arroyo differently every time he called him too!

Reply #3252 | Report this post

Carlos Cosme  
Years ago

I was surprise wathing Carlos Arroyo put on a great showed. Arroyo crushed U.S. the whole game. United State did not had a key on how to Puerto Rico Olympic Team. Puerto Rico basketball had just begun

Reply #37398 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754