CT
Years ago

Gordie McLeod leaving Taipans

Sad day, great guy to have around the club. Have no doubt that some of the plays he's drawn up over the past two years have pulled our arse out of the fire more than a few times.
http://www.taipans.com/featured-news/gordie-mcleod-moving/

Topic #41508 | Report this topic

Tiger  
Years ago

I wonder if Mark Worthington will be the new assistant coach then.

Reply #639528 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Makes sense, he keeps popping up in a Taipans t-shirt every chance he gets.

Reply #639530 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Perhaps confirmation that the head gig is Pearlman's after this season, as has been the talk previously.

Reply #639550 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I would have preferred to see Fearne leave and McLeod given the top job, but its hard to argue that Fearne didn't produce. He did well to get to 2nd spot.

However, the way Fearne allowed the Wildcats to dominate them is a major concern. Gliddon was ineffective. Nate, who supposedly loves to play under Fearne was disinterested (so much that Fearne started Egwu).

Trice was the only one on the floor consistently giving something but the number of times he lost Cotton on defence was concern.

Reply #639551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker, Fearne didn't "allow" the cats to dominate them. If individuals don't perform how can you put that on the coach?

Reply #639552 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"If individuals don't perform how can you put that on the coach?"

I see, so a head coach has no influence on players at all. My fault, sorry Aaron.

Reply #639553 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"He did well to get 2nd spot"...
Let's be honest there was one win diff from 2nd to second last. He/They were just lucky,hardly Fearne's wonderous coaching that got them there.

Pearlman head coach,thanks for that laugh Ben.

Reply #639557 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Nate had a hip injury for the last half of the season, and his shoulder was busted up bad in the last game of the season.

And no one contained Cotton the entire finals, he was the difference between the Cats winning the ring and not making the top 4.

Reply #639577 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Nate was injured often the season before for the Wildcats and had a terrible back injury where he was basically receiving treatment whenever he was on the bench.

Yet he showed up for the finals.

He wouldn't do that for his beloved mentor? Furthermore he was supposed to 'get in shape' for his mentor too, whatever happened to that?

Reply #639580 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Harken to the words of @Kingpodge, for his is the knowledge and the truth.

@Lovebroker, Nate could barely raise his arm above his head by the end of the season, which is why he had surgery, enough that he will miss a large chunk of the start of the season because of the recovery.

You may or may not remember that the Taipans overcame a horrendous start to the season to roar back into second place at the end of the regular season, a lot of which is down to Fearne. Not just his coaching on game night, but his decision to make the unprecedented move of sacking an import.

In terms of Nate "getting in shape" for Fearne: he lost 16kg before the start of the season, and was much more mobile on the court before his hip slowed him down than he had been for the Wildcats the previous year.

I hope to see Wortho in an official capacity as a Taipans coach this year. I strongly doubt that Pearl will get the Head Coach position. I think that's more likely to go to Mick Downer, if he can be prised from Andre Lemonass' clutches down in Brisbane.

Reply #639583 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not going to bash Jawai but his numbers last season back in Cairns were almost identical to the numbers he put up in Perth the season before that.

Reply #639586 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Freethrow, may the spirit of Phil Jones' jumpshot shine upon you.

Yeah i'd love to see Wortho on the bench with a clipboard in hand. I'll also be running a book as to when he get's his first bench tech :)

Reply #639590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yay, touch the hem of his fluoro orange morphsuit..

I'm almost certain Wortho will be there in some capacity. Frankly, I'd pay just to see him join the cheer squad every time out and just have him stand in centrecourt with his arms crossed, fuming, staring daggers at the opposition bench while the cheerleaders just kind of work around him.

Reply #639592 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

And put me down for Q3 on the 22/10 in your book, Podge :-)

Reply #639593 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha you're in the book!

Wortho the cheerleader. I'd pay JUST to see that.

Reply #639595 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Podge, you should start a new thread with that book on Wortho. It will go gang busters.

I'll have $20 on Q@, Sun 8 October in New Zealand.

Reply #639615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In terms of Nate "getting in shape" for Fearne: he lost 16kg before the start of the season, "

Between his time at the Wildcats, and the start of last season with Cairns, you're claiming he lost 16kgs??

Reply #639617 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Maybe Gordie is going to the Kings so again have a real coach in the group rather than Gaze and Copeland.

He would be a real asset to them.

Reply #639670 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Jawai takes a shit and he loses 16kg, what's your point?

Reply #639736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Um that he didnt lose 16 kgs in the off season...

Reply #639738 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

He actually lost slightly more than 16kgs before the season started.

Reply #639739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 16kg was body fat plus the "slightly more" being the turd he did?

Reply #639740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he was opening the season at around the 125kg mark?

Reply #639742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if he dropped 16kgs, why did he put most of it back on again as the season started?

Reply #639743 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I highly doubt Jawai with no pre-season training last year due to injury lost 16kg. He still looked pretty overweight last season I'd say 5kg tops.

His form last season has been explained away with injuries just like this upcoming season will be too now that he has another offseason injury.

This time next year we will be told he's lost 30kg and ready for a big contract year with the Taipans.

Reply #639745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just found a pic of Jawai in pre-season mode. Anyone want to tell me he didnt lose 16kgs??

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/af/88/3b/af883b1e971eeda0f9edf4e5222b21e3.jpg

Reply #639755 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

You win the internet, sir.

Reply #639760 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha pay the man.

The finger injury he got late in the off season didn't stop him from doing S&C work.

The weight loss figure i have comes from the guy who was weighing him, I'm pretty comfortable with it's veracity.

Reply #639765 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

p.s. when you're a unit the size of Jawai, dropping 16kgs probably wont show. You can remove a tonne of dirt from Mt Everest, and it's still the highest mountain in the world.

Now if NBL allstar weekend had a bikini and evening wear section, we'd probably all be wiser - albeit reasonably nauseous...

Reply #639766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course it will show. Anyone losing 10% of their body weight is going to look noticeably slimmer.

The weight you're suggesting he is at is the same weight as what he was when he was a rookie and when he was drafted, and there is no way he is that slim now.

Reply #639772 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

incorrect

Reply #639778 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Jawai takes a shit and he loses 16kg, what's your point?"

When all else fails, enact some childish toilet humour to deflect others' points.

Reply #639779 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

When you lose 16kg on a base weight of 140kg, thats more than 10%, on the balance of probabilities, you are going to notice that weight loss.

Nate was overweight at the Wildcats even the Wildcats conditioning team could not move those kilos.

Furthermore, Nate was also often playing injured. Anyone remember the Grand Final series? His back was so bad people were suggesting the Wildcats basically throw Game 2 by leaving him in Perth because he would not have endured the flight to NZ.

So Nate was overweight (140kg) and injured at the Wildcats, yet he played the same minutes as leaner (124kg) but also injured Nate @ the Taipans.

Based on the above, on the balance of probabilities, he did not lose 16kgs over the offseason. I'm not saying its impossible, but the indicators aren't there.

Reply #639780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"incorrect"

No, none of what was said was incorrect.

Reply #639790 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Lovebroker, you're assuming that Jawai came in at a base weight of 140kgs. That's not a fact. When he came out of te 2015/16 season with the Wildcats, he was 153kg. He lost 16kg in pre-season for 2016/17, coming in at 137kg.

Reply #639800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep shifting the goalposts, guys!

Reply #639805 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

And you know we'be got better things to do than make up how much weight someone lost - i’m Too busy lying about my own.

The facts don’t care if you believe them or not, it doesn’t make them untrue.

Reply #639808 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

In fact, he dropped double digits in the first 2 weeks of camp, before the finger injury.

Reply #639809 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

^ What???

Reply #639812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"And you know we'be got better things to do than make up how much weight someone lost"

...but then...

"In fact, he dropped double digits in the first 2 weeks of camp"

Reply #639813 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"..but then...

"In fact, he dropped double digits in the first 2 weeks of camp"

Wait...don't forget then the finger injury happened, which then shutdown all other cardiovascular functions of the body.

Reply #639816 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Freethrows; was my reaction too. But that's first hand from the guy weighing the horses.

Reply #639823 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

"So what did you do today honey"
“Oh you know, the usual, defended Nate Jawai's pre-season weight loss from anonymous people on the internet”
“A regular Friday then?”
“yep, pretty much”

Reply #639824 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

"Oh you know, the usual, defended Nate Jawai's pre-season weight loss from anonymous people on the internet"

Not only that, but on a thread about Gordie McLeod!

Reply #639827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should read "anonymous Wildcats fans"

Reply #639829 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Haha poor Gordie dont get no love!

Speaking of fitness, I reckon he'd still win MVp in most masters leagues around the country.

Reply #639831 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Respect to any man who signs his team poster with a picture of a stick man playing basketball. Class.

Reply #639846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now I want to know how Jawai gained ten kilos during his time at Perth.

Reply #639872 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

9 months of having caviar and foie gras spooned into his mouth by his butler ("assistant coach") I expect.

Reply #639899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much tastier than the horseshit we're being fed by the Cairns camp.

Reply #639919 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Whats Jawai weight loss or gain got to do with Geordie leaving Cairns.
Obsolutely nothing

Reply #639942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe knows

Reply #639947 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha Anonymous Perth poster continues to rail against reality. I can't believe this thread is still going.

Reply #639979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty standard form from Perth posters.

Reply #639994 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:48 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754