Anonymous
Years ago

Bryce Cotton to replace Webster at Wildcats

Could just be a rumor....

http://www.sportando.com/m/en/world/oceania/240946/bryce-cotton-will-return-to-perth-wildcats.html

Topic #41512 | Report this topic

SteveK2  
Years ago

Was reported by several Spanish journos so its the line he told Unicaja. In most cases a Spanish Liga ACB team would be able to offer a more lucrative deal than an NBL club can, but the Wildcats isn't exactly a poor team either. Unless someone offers something ridiculous, he is likely to return.

Reply #639605 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

I can't help but feel the "returning to the Perth Wildcats" could be a little of lost in translation journalism or messaging.

Or even Bryce's camp saying no thank you, mentioning the wildcats and then reports filling in the rest.

Wouldn't get my hopes up until there's a wildcats announcement or statement.

Reply #639621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sportando is pretty solid with stories.

Reply #639634 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

Webster 'asks' for a release, and it’s granted, plus the Sportando tweet - I think you can bet your grandmas false teeth on Cotton being back in the red.

Reply #639637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What kind of return could I expect from winning such a bet? After some careful deliberation I'm prepared to put my grandma's false teeth on the line only if the price is right.

Reply #639643 | Report this post

Trevor Gleeson  
Years ago

Unicaja will have to look for alternatives to Bryce Cotton. The American base that the club presented a Málaga days ago, has decided to repeat experience in the League of Australia , where this season was champion with the P erth Wildcats.

Journalist Chema de Lucas ( Giants ) advanced the decision this afternoon. For his part, the agent of the player, Ben Pensack, confirmed to SUR , that the player would return to Australia with a brief "Yes". Now it remains to be seen if the decision is final or if Unicaja can change the American base.

Thus, the whole of Malaga, who does not want to rush into a key decision, will have to look for alternatives to reinforce this position. The choice of Errick McCollum, next to repeat experience in China, also seems to be ruled out. The names of Pierre Jackson, Quinn Cook are on the table, and in recent days has come the offer of Phil Pressey.

Reply #639656 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't know much about Unicaja Malaga nor the league its in.

How much can the average import command in that league?

Reply #639658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious?

ACB is the second best domestic league in the world after NBA (Euroleague is continental).

The money would be good so the facts are either wrong, Cotton is holding out for more or Perth are really spending $$$$$$$$$$$.

Reply #639663 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

He's averaging 1.5 points, shooting 11%, 0.5 assists and 1.5 rebounds in 15min a game in the SL. I doubt he's had huge interest from overseas, and a contract offer in Spain after these performances might have not been for as much money as we think.

Even if they spend big on him, the Cats highest offer won't be as much as overseas. IMO though as long as the money is somewhat competitive, the overall package of their offer: Australian lifestyle, club success, team facilities, Australian culture, familiarity of being here already, English speaking country, chance to be a superstar here, Country safety, etc might be good enough for him to return.

Reply #639667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ACB is the second best domestic league in the world after NBA (Euroleague is continental)."

Thanks to the Raptors, the NBA is continental as well

Reply #639668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knew someone would say that... just barely.

Thanks to the Breakers, NBL is continental.
Thanks to Andorra BC, ACB is continental.
Thanks to AS Monaco, Pro A is continental.
and so on and so forth.

You know what I meany by continental, smartarse.

Reply #639669 | Report this post

smartarse  
Years ago

I don't know what you meany

Reply #639673 | Report this post

meany  
Years ago

smartarse

Reply #639675 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Salary in Euroleagues can vary wildly. The top players (not necessarily imports) can earn in the millions euro range. The 'scrubs' would be lucky to receive 100k euros.

Maybe they offered Cotton sub 250k euros, hence the GTFO response? I'd think if the offers are closer to 500k euros, it would be difficult to dismiss that?

Reply #639676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SteveK2 it seems to me also like they lowballed Cotton I would say. Otherwise doesn't make sense as ACB is up there for salaries in Europe.

Reply #639685 | Report this post

continental  
Years ago

One team from a neighbouring minnow basketball country makes a national league continental just like Euroleague!!!!1 DERPITY DERP DERP!

Reply #639686 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Quick interview of Cotton on the NBL facebook page. Got asked if he's had any progress in contract talks with Perth:

"Right now i'm still trying to finish this up (Summer League), but we'll see whats in store in the next few weeks"

Reply #639712 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Then he smiles and says "i love them (REDARMY) too"

Not the best poker face.

Reply #639718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed by Lachy Reid.

Reply #639722 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Lachie Reid (Channel 10 reporter/Wildcats game announcer) just confirmed Cotton is coming back on Twitter.

Replacing Webster.

Here we go!

Prather is a priority but a waiting game.

Reply #639723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Reply #639727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

;-(

Reply #639729 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've updated the thread title and bumped it to the top. Great for the league to have strong players like this returning.

Reply #639734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surely the money Cotton required was a part of the Webster release along with the reduced role he would have been given

Reply #639741 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

Posted this in the Webster thread, I reckon a convo like this definitely would have taken place:

I think it almost has to be Cotton related, I can't see them just letting him go for 'asking'. The club might have said something like "Corey, things have changed and we're bringing Bryce back now. This will move you to the bench and heavily impact your minutes. We'd love you to stay, but if you want to seek better opportunities elsewhere we understand and won't hold you back if you ask us to release you".

Reply #639744 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The day that the Cotton rumour comes out. Webster asks for release related? 100%

Reply #639749 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The Wildcats haven't even mentioned anything on their social media yet and Chris Robinson from the West Australian couldn't contact his agent for confirmation. I hope Lachy hasn't jumped the gun too prematurely.

If true its a great news to have him back. It will certainly drive the rest of the NBL to try either to counter his recruitment or up the ante. There must be emergency meetings in Hard Rock Cafe now :).

Reply #639753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats cant announce its official until its been approved by the league.

Reply #639754 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Well that was interesting, Webster gone and in comes cotton. Webster is a great player but cotton is a different level. Summer league stats would say different but he will get bums on seats and that what's all about.

Well done to Perth for getting him back if true.

Reply #639757 | Report this post

Hoot  
Years ago

Cats would be waiting on paper work and summer league to make an announcement.

They may have just settled paper work with cotton too and didn't expect the info to leak.

They may have planned the Webster news today as it would be buried amongst AFl news as it's a Thursday.

They'd also want to hold off Cotton announcement until a less filled sports news day too.

Reply #639767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cats cant announce its official until its been approved by the league."

Without fail this simple fact is forgotten about each and every time an NBL signing is made.

Reply #639769 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Sorry should probably clarify what I meant by Wildcats mentioning the signing on social media. I'm well aware that the official news announcement probably won't be until next week when it clears league admin. I was trying to imply that the Wildcats didn't do the usual tease that teams like to do on social media e.g. Guess who's back? or We got him, etc. etc.

Reply #639773 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Whilst Cotton's grand final heroics are probably still fresh in Wildcats supporters' minds, do you guys think this is that great a move?

Thinking about it more I think I would rather have Webster then have the 3rd import as an insurance policy for Martin and Knight. These 2 are becoming injury prone, especially Knight's concussion history.

Webster at his best is a low 20+/ppg player @ around .375 3pt, thats only a little less than Cotton. A Webster is great at the pick and roll which the Wildcats somehow mastered at the end of last season so I think Webster was due to flourish (plus being away from NZ).

I wish Webster the best and hope to see him back in the NBL with any team. He is a star, he makes mistakes but generally atones for them.

Reply #639783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #639785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker.....no

Reply #639791 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

What's that sweet smell in the air? I'm getting the scent of more Wildcats championship GLORY

Reply #639814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mock is LAME

Reply #639815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree Lovebroker. Webster last year was fairly average and a year or two removed from his best after his troubles in NZ. Still was going to be a great asset for the cats but to say he is almost as good as Cotton is a stretch..

Reply #639817 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Reply #639818 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Anon, I know, that's why I said 'at his best' which would be the year he returned from his first NBA tryout.

An asset like that and being a local which gives you that import insurance card I think is worth a lot.

Cotton is great, no doubt, but consider he could also leave at anytime to the NBA. The Wildcats were lucky last time it was a 10 day contract which he turned down. What if this time it was a 1 year contract? Even league minimum for a 1 year player is US$900k which is more than the entire salary cap in AUD.

Reply #639820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great picture of Cotton there, with McCarron, Jawai and Wortho standing in the background (you can't see Jawai because he got super skinny in the off season).

Reply #639821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton signing this early to Wildcats is because the ship has sailed on his NBA opportunity due to the poor Summer League showing.

Reply #639822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Correct, but we'll take it.

Reply #639825 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Confirmed

Reply #639826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Confirmed by club in e-mail.

Reply #639828 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Lovin it.

Reply #639832 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/featured-news/bryce-cotton-returns-perth-wildcats/

Reply #639833 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

@LoveBroker, agree Webster + a spare ipmport spot would have been good, and in terms of production on the stats sheet Cotton might not be a massive upgrade over Webster (at his best), but Cotton is just one of those next level players that if he's willing to sign to you do what you can to get him.

As for losing the spare import spot for injury cover, I'd like to see Brandt start and sign an import PF who can also play C. I think Brandt showed some good signs late in the season and also seemed to click well with Cotton. Knight can come off the bench with minutes at PF/C and not be relied on as heavily, meaning an injury to him won't stuff up the team structure much. Also having Cotton now will make it easier to cope with any Damo injuries.

Reply #639835 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great picture of Cotton there, with McCarron, Jawai and Wortho standing in the background (you can't see Jawai because he got super skinny in the off season).
Jawai getting in shape during the off-season is the NBL version of the NBA's "He's been working out with Olajuwon".

Reply #639836 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Spendat like Bendat.

Reply #639837 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

GREAT picture Ricky! Sour grapes from some anon

Reply #639850 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What's the likelihood Tai Webster plays NBL this season?

Reply #639881 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He said the other day something like if he doesn't make the NBA "the Breakers seem like a pretty good option".

Reply #639925 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Aww yis. I like that idea

Reply #639960 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754