Luuuc
Years ago

Webster released by Wildcats, wants to play overseas

Members First News

Webster granted release from Wildcats

The Perth Wildcats have agreed to a request from Corey Webster to release him from his contract with the club, effective immediately.

Webster originally signed a two-year deal with the Wildcats in March, but recently expressed the desire to break his contract and pursue his career overseas.

Topic #41515 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #639629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Overseas = NZ?

Reminds me of the CJ incident ;)

Reply #639631 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Webster released within hours of Cotton return rumours...

Maybe Cotton is returning.

Reply #639632 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Shame, I was looking forward to watching this whole thing blow up in the Wildcats' faces.

I'm sure they won't have any difficulty in finding someone else to hose down with cash in his place though.

Reply #639644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shame, I was looking forward to watching this whole thing blow up in the Wildcats' faces."

Like losing in straight sets after finish second? Never mind, at least Fearne got Jawai to lose 49 kilos this off-season...

Reply #639645 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

When is the jersey retirement ceremony?

Reply #639651 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

So is this what you get up to in the off season, Trevor?

Reply #639654 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@CT ha ha ha ha ha! Excellent appraisal of the situation vis a vis Trevor Gleeson. Love it!

Who knew that when you bought in with Webster and the Wildcats there'd be any sort of back door deals and shenanigans?! Ha ha ha ha! LMFAO.

I'm gonna laugh so hard if it turns out the 'Cats dumped Webster, he gets another gig elsewhere, then Cotton gets an NBA call up. Maybe they'll give JJ another go around (if HE doesn't end up in the NBA as well!)

Reply #639655 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

@CT.

If you are going to talk shit about another team, hoping they'd fail and accusing others of throwing cash around, then prepare for the equally negative responses.

Reply #639657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is the 9th straight year that I can remember non-Cats fans planning on "LOLing so hard at their demise."

How did that work out for all y'all?

Reply #639659 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Overall, it would have been nice to see Webster in the NBL fresh and back to his old self again. Not sure what the contractual arrangements are but credit to the Wildcats for letting him go.

Thankfully for them its early days compared to the Hugh Greenwood episode. I recall Marvin putting in place something to prevent Greenwood from re-entering the NBL for another team for 3 years, wonder if the same will apply to Webster for 2?

This would likely mean that the Wildcats are back to needing three imports instead of the 2 before. So there will be no import insurance for Matt Knight if he gets injured.

If the off-season has been boring, it is getting more interesting now for sure.

Reply #639660 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Seriously doubt Cotton will garner any interest. He has been atrocious in the SL, Mitch Creek is having a better campaign in comparison and even Mitch is unlikely to secure a training camp spot at this stage.

Reply #639661 | Report this post

B  
Years ago

I think it almost has to be Cotton related, I can't see them just letting him go for 'asking'. The club might have said something like:

"Corey, things have changed and we're bringing Bryce back now. This will move you to the bench and heavily impact your minutes. We'd love you to stay, but if you want to seek better opportunities elsewhere we understand and won't hold you back if you ask us to release you".

Reply #639664 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"If you are going to talk shit about another team, hoping they'd fail and accusing others of throwing cash around, then prepare for the equally negative responses."

Are you new here?

Reply #639683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what if the Wildcats keep winning year after year. Let's say they win the next ten titles. How does that stop opposing fans talking about them and heaping it on? The hate wold actually continue to intensify. Logic fail on that one. and LOL @ are you new here - exactly!

Reply #639687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think this is the 9th straight year that I can remember non-Cats fans planning on "LOLing so hard at their demise."

How did that work out for all y'all?"

So? Your opponents naturally want their competitors to demise. Winning year after year doesn't suddenly negate this most basic trait of rivalries in sport. #logic

Reply #639690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"So what if the Wildcats keep winning year after year. Let's say they win the next ten titles. How does that stop opposing fans talking about them and heaping it on? "

It means they don't give a shit that you enjoy seeing their dynasty crumbling because they just won ten titles!

Reply #639693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what?

Reply #639696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Cats win ten straight titles, do you think laughing at them if they win a wooden spoon in year 11 will matter? No, because they just won ten titles! #logic #spastic

Reply #639697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It means they don't give a shit that you enjoy seeing their dynasty crumbling because they just won ten titles!"

You interpreted this the opposite way to suit you. I'm talking about the opposing teams' fan's point of view.

It means opposing fans don't give a shit if a team wins, even if it were ten titles in a row, the "heaping" will continue no matter what, hence the "are you new?" comment above.

Reply #639698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If the Cats win ten straight titles, do you think laughing at them if they win a wooden spoon in year 11 will matter? No, because they just won ten titles! #logic #spastic"

If the Cats win ten straight titles, do you think opposing fan's care if Cats fans think it matters they are tsill being laughed at? No, because no matter how many titles won opponents will still have you. It's a basic principle of sport - rivalry. #logic #spastic #retard #moron

Reply #639700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I understood you. I am saying I don't care. Heap away, your team is shit.

Reply #639701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hate

Reply #639704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No I understood you. I am saying I don't care. Heap away, your team is shit."

Okay. But we don't care that you don't care. You assume we care if you care or not.

Reply #639705 | Report this post

DJ Muggs  
Years ago

No matter how many titles the Wildcats win, some of their fans will remain suckers and take any bait that is tossed in their vicinity. The cycle of suckers and tossers is the one constant of the NBL through all of its ups and downs.

Reply #639707 | Report this post

Sen dogg  
Years ago

DJ Muggs yes and one just got sucked in above you :D

Reply #639709 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Reading the comments to hear Cotton is coming firmed back... nope hoops.com.au never change

Reply #639715 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I love it. So much salt so deep into the off-season.

Reply #639733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. You'd think the Cairns fans would be over the drubbing they received. Did you hear they finished second?

Reply #639737 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Don't ever change, Trevor.

And I think I heard your voice go up at the end there..

Reply #639758 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I just think that Cairns supporters should be the last to hang shit on opposition head coaches' voices.

Reply #639781 | Report this post

Some quality blows being landed by both sides here

Reply #639784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really. I like the Taipans fans as they seem to be a funny and intelligent bunch. Whereas the Cats fans are just another batch of the usual ultra defensive emotional type we keep having to deal with. I thought by being so successful meant they don't care what the rest of us think? Guess not.

Reply #639787 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I'd really like to see Webster succeed overseas (hopefully NBA) as it will really help the league and New Zealand basketball. He isn't the best role model but he's certainly got personality and I look forward to seeing what he does next

Reply #639789 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:28 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754