ME
Years ago

Andrew Bogut wants in on Tokyo 2020 with Boomers

Both Andrew Bogut and Andrej Lemanis have indicated that they want Bogut to continue playing with the Australian team through to the next Olympics.

What do you guys think about that?

Personally, I think if he happens to be healthy at the time you'd be mad not to take him. Despite coming off of an injury Bogut was very effective for Australia in 2016 and he still seems to have some bounce in his step. And even if he loses some of his hops he will still have his most important attributes - his size, strength, passing, defense and basketball IQ.

Australia's depth at center looks be wearing a bit thin. With Anderson likely to retire before 2020, the only obvious options, as fantastic as they are, are Aron Baynes and Thon Maker. Would an aging Andrew Bogut coming off of the bench for 15 minutes be worth more to the team than a Jack Landale or a Isaac Humphries? It's entirely possible.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/andrew-bogut-central-to-boomers-tokyo-charge-says-coach-andrej-lemanis-20170719-gxe6fb.html

Topic #41535 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson at pf can be replaced by simmons, bolden and maker.

Bogut a little harder to replace defensively and iq wise but Landale and humphries are nice prospects. Who knows what they are like in 3 years.
Also got Baynes as an option. Mathiang too.

Reply #640226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three years from now is a long time.

Reply #640229 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is there another legit 5 coming through who looks capable of reaching that level?
If Bogut stays healthy enough then he's still in my best 12 until someone else steps up and takes over.

Reply #640235 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Agreed. There is no replacement for Bogut. We don't know what the future is for Humphries and Landale but neither look up to the part at the moment. Baynes will continue to be serviceable, and there's a chance that Thon will play spot minutes at center, as well as Cam Bairstow. But there is no chance that you replace what Bogut brings with anyone else just yet.

For what it's worth I am going to put my 12 down -

Delly
Mills
Simmons
Maker
Bogut

Exum
Broekhoff
Ingles
Bolden
Bairstow
Baynes
Sobey/Goulding/whoever the best remaining Aussie shooting guard is.

That's a tough team.

Reply #640241 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bogut's getting close to done now I wouldn't think he'd make a full strength Boomers team three years from now.

Reply #640258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally think Landale will surprise. He's no shot blocker but the guy plays hard and is probably more of an offensive threat than Bogut.

Reply #640262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers 2020 IMO

6'0 P.Mills 88 (31) CG
6'4 M.Dellavedova 90 (29) PG
6'6 D.Exum 95 (24) CG
6'7 R.Broekhoff 90 (29) SG/SF
6'7 D.Adel 94 (25) SG/SF
6'8 J.Ingles 87 (32) SG/SF
6'9 C.Moller 94 (25) CF or 6'8 X.Cooks 95 (24) CF
6'10 B.Simmons 96 (23) PG/CF
6'10 J.Bolden 96 (23) CF
6'11 J.Landale 95 (24) C or 7'0 I.Humphries 98 (21-22) C
7'0 A.Bogut 84 (35) C or 6'10 A.Baynes 86 (31) C
7'1 T.Maker 97 (22) PF/C

Reply #640263 | Report this post

Years ago

I've got the following starting 5:

6'0 P.Mills 88 (31) CG
6'4 M.Dellavedova 90 (29) PG
6'8 J.Ingles 87 (32) SG/SF
6'10 B.Simmons 96 (23) PG/CF
7'1 T.Maker 97 (37) PF/C

Reply #640266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got

Exum
Mills
Simmons
Maker
Bogut

Reply #640267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep him around for the Tweet beef with DJ Cambage.

Reply #640292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"7'1 T.Maker 97 (37) PF/C"

LOL!

Reply #640295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Andersen is likely to retire before 2020, why is he still making Boomers camps this year? Surely you'd be bringing through alternate options?

Bogut's passing and defense mean he could still be useful. Wouldn't be ruling him out.

Reply #640296 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Bogut needs to be on the team purely for culture.

That's what made our recent olympic team better than their on-paper ratings.

The belief and chemistry. If they can recreate that with the more talented younger core it could lead to a many, great things.

Reply #640304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally don't understand why Humphries is being rated so highly as a potential boomer just yet. I think he has suffered from his college choice and going to a place where he barely played. Would have developed much more going to a smaller school, playing more against good schools.

At this stage is he even better than Angus Brandt?

Reply #640306 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"If Andersen is likely to retire before 2020, why is he still making Boomers camps this year? Surely you'd be bringing through alternate options?"

Isaac, I think you will find that it's because the qualifying series are ultra important and Dave is still the best big man we have available to play.

He will be an important piece to help us qualify.

I watched the game between Melbourne and China and he still is playing really well (at the moment) with turn around jumpers and knocking down threes

Reply #640308 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

If healthy, Bogut is a definite tick. Defence, passing and IQ aside, you just can't go past his experience.

The biggest problems will be at 1 and 4.

Baynes can play 4 at international level, especially against Euro teams, which tend to be big in the power positions. I know there are huge raps for guys like Maker and Bolden, but the history of the Boomers says that if there are experienced guys available, they won't select an inexperienced international lineup.

For that reason, I don't see anyone other than Simmons starting (at 3), unless they've had previous Boomers experience at either Worlds or Olympics (maybe Commonweath Games?)

The jury is still very much out on Exum. I really hope he develops as a reliable 1, but we will have to wait and see. Delly and Patty will play major roles, and I can see Broekhoff playing some 2, but not Jingles. He's too slow to guard most international 2s now, let alone in three years time.

By position, I think we'll see something like:
Delly/Patty/(Exum, Sobey, maybe even Norton)
Patty/Broekhoff/(Exum, Sobey or Goulding)
Simmons/Broekhoff/(Jingles, Bolden)
Baynes/Bairstow/(Maker, Bolden)
Bogut/Baynes/(Landale, Maker, Humphries)

I think the first two guys I've listed at each position will go, which is seven guys, and the other five spots will be made up of the guys I listed in parentheses.

Reply #640310 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Anderson is a whole new level of player when it comes to international basketball. His NBL game is no where near as intense, dominating or reliable.

Bogut as one of two pure centres and mixed with 1-2 PF/C players will be a handy addition and give our team some good minutes to spread around and 12 to 15 fouls a game to give out before we start to lose players.

I don't see Baynes brain farts disappearing by then, so having a intelligent big will be worth it.

Reply #640311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen looked sick with Melbourne vs. China.

Why is his game so good internationally but a bit under done in NBL?

Reply #640313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dw about Bogut for tokyo. freeze david andersen in carbonite and wheel him out in 2020. the man morphs into another beast in green and gold.

Reply #640324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #640327 | Report this post

Years ago

It could be the best team Australia has presented at an Olympic Games. Other than the older Bogut and Maker, all the players are at a good age to compete internationally.

Reply #640328 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Not sure how exum fits in come 2020.

More than likely Exum is in europe or back in NBL based on his play (hoping this doesn't happen but likely)

As Exum's shooting is the issue as you need to be able to shoot in the international game and i feel a few others might have developed and gone past him by then.

Reply #640378 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Shooting is the single easiest thing to learn in basketball, all it takes is a gym, a basketball, and lots of time. If Exum has the motivation, there's no reason to think he won't end up being at least an average 3pt shooter. His stroke looked good in summer league - holding his follow through after the shot left his hand, you can tell he's been working on it. Still looks a little awkward shooting off the dribble inside the arc though.

Reply #640384 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Love to see Bogut still healthy and able by 2020. Its a a few more years of wear on his body, but certainly a good goal to have and great for the Boomers if he can acheive it. Hopefully he'd be more of a situational player by that time, but he'd be a great option off the bench. Thinking of games like the 96 Olympics where the team played well all tournament but got killed by Sabonis in the Bornze game. Having a genuine big defensive anchor could have made all the difference (we needed Luc for that one game but he was comentating)

Reply #640386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't remember '96 that well. Luc commentating instead of playing comment = ??? Surely not. Pathetic if true, wtf!

Reply #640397 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

He was injured.

Reply #640400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK that makes more sense.

Why not write it as "we needed Luc for that one game but he was injured" instead of "we needed Luc for that one game but he was comentating"? Odd!

Reply #640402 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

From memory he could have played but chose to have surgery to get ready for the nba season. Not saying it was the wrong decision for him, but it hurt us.

Reply #640436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh ok. Hate that. Country over club imo. Our bball culture lacks that sadly :(

Reply #640438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova, Exum
Mills, Adel, Sobey
Simmons, Ingles or Broekhoff
Motum, Bolden,
Bogut? , Baynes, Maker ( play some PF)
5 others who could make it
Goulding. Cooks.Moller. Acil. Landale

Reply #641045 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Is this Moller talk all the same guy? I've seen his name pop up a lot and not sure if it's a joke or not.

The guy has come along well, to the point that he is just now at an NBL bench player level, and he is being compared with the best players to come out of Australia?

Reply #641049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754