TD15
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Devondrick Walker

D league Most improved player

Topic #41540 | Report this topic

leungtl  
Years ago

Haven't seen him play, but seems a bit underwhelming statistically in terms of rebounding for someone 6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan:

http://gleague.nba.com/player/devondrick-walker/

Reply #640403 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Who will be the superior Walker?

Reply #640404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a good replacement for Prather to me

Reply #640405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Based on the 2:50 video I just watched, he looks like a cross between Beal and Prather.

Reply #640406 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

I do like how he hit 12/12 3PT in a game once though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4rm31LhfQ

Reply #640407 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

The Perth Wildcats are thrilled to announce the signing of sharp-shooting American, Devondrick Walker.

A rising star on the global basketball stage, Walker has gone from strength to strength to become hot property this off-season.

At 196cm, Devondrick Walker is a highly athletic wing with an impressive 99cm vertical leap, but his outstanding perimeter shooting is what caught the eye of Wildcats scouts.

"He can handle the ball, he can get to the basket, he has the ability to push the ball in transition, but the fact that he can knock down that three-point shot is the big tick for us," said assistant coach Adam Forde.

“In terms of fit, he will free up Bryce and the rest of the team to create, and gives us another weapon on the perimeter.”

Walker represented the Utah Jazz at the NBA Summer League competitions in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.

In Las Vegas, he averaged 9.8 points per game in just 20.0 minutes of court time, putting him in the top 21 per cent of players in the tournament.

The 25-year-old earned his Summer League opportunity after being named the Most Improved Player of the NBA Development League for 2017.

At January's D-League Showcase, Walker put on the greatest shooting display the event has ever seen, going 12-for-12 from downtown - hitting 15 of 18 shots in 49 minutes, over two games.

He spent his most recent season playing for the Delaware 87ers in the NBA D-League, averaging 12.5 points and shooting at over 40 per cent from beyond the arc and 45.5 per cent overall.

He also picked up 2.9 rebounds per game.

Previously, Walker spent time with the Westchester Knicks and the Austin Spurs – where he played with 2017 Grand Final MVP, Bryce Cotton.

Devondrick Walker is from Garland in Texas and attended college at Texas A&M University-Commerce.

He will arrive in Perth next month.

Reply #640408 | Report this post

Bodega Owner  
Years ago

Interestingly, he played for Utah in the summer league.

This morning there was an NBL interview with 36ers GM. He said he was interested in players sitting next to Sobey and Creek on the bench.

Theory - Wildcats outbid D-von from the 36ers like they did Jaron Johnson from Cairns last season.

Reply #640409 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

I doubt that's who adelaide were after since they have pretty much signed Ramon Moore

Reply #640410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No email again. Sigh... is it really that hard?

Reply #640411 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

I think it was Julian Wright that he was referring to...

Reply #640412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 10/11 signed? That's pretty stable with 9/11 returnees.

Reply #640413 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No email again. Sigh... is it really that hard?
I got one. Might want to get in touch with the club if you're not getting emails.

Reply #640414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 1 more import spot to fill for Perth?

Reply #640415 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Deadly shooter ala Webster but defensively not at Prather's level. Not yet anyways.

Reply #640416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Members email came through about 15 minutes after Facebook announcement

Reply #640417 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I think we need to build on this latest signing by getting maximum value from the last, so I'd suggest someone like Tyronehemiah Sharpeters or maybe Jefferyleigh Williamcmasterscott

Reply #640418 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Just purely going off stats, it seems Walker is not the attacking slasher than Prather is.

Most of Walker's shots are outside and he goes to the line less than 2 times a game.

Prather's attempts are mostly inside and goes to the line 6 times a game.

But this guy seems to be a more reliable outside shooter of course.

Reply #640420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I got one. Might want to get in touch with the club if you're not getting emails."

I get some of the emails (e.g. Cotton signed) but not others (like this one). Weird. and no it's not in spam (using gmail).

Reply #640422 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Looks good, at least will have a few snipers. Need some high flying action to get the crowd going. Interesting to see how they go in the c position? Overall looks like a competitive roster.

Reply #640430 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

I got the notification over Facebook messenger hence why they put out all the info about signing up to it for player announcement.

Reply #640454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt everyone is a FB user. I would have thought email first?

Reply #640459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh well wait the extra 15 minutes for the email announcement then....

Reply #640461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps Perth are lacking a bit in rim protection now. Seems they don't really have any athletic front court players any more. Brandt was developing nicely, though got caught at times against more mobile opposition.

I wonder if DKD can earn many minutes with that back court. Hope he gets a chance to develop, or perhaps move on in a following season.

Has anyone seen much of Devondrick's interior game? He seems pretty opportunistic on his drives, rather than someone who breaks down defenders, creating opportunities at will. I wonder how much the driving game will effect Perth's offence. Cotton can score off the drive, though seemed to also let the game come to him, rather than make things happen. I'm not sure if defenders need to double team any Perth players at this stage, and it might be easier to cover the long range options, and make a switch on a cut.

Any thoughts?

Reply #640475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seems they don't really have any athletic front court players any more."

Lucas Walker?

They've lost Redhage, Prather and McKay, and have replaced them with Walker, Walker, and the third import to come. If its a similar player to McKay, they've probably broken even with their replacements.

Reply #640487 | Report this post

Scoot  
Years ago

Wildcats will spend big on their big.

Reply #640493 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

They have no one that demands a double team? I have a feeling Cotton may demand a double team. Trying to defend him in the pick and roll with dw spreading the floor will be a nightmare.

Cottons skillet in reality was probably harder to replace than prather, that sounds like it undersells prather, make no mistake he was amazing.

Reply #640505 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yes especially on the fast break. Prather's finishing was very good. He also developed his Euro step.

It remains to be seen whether this guy can do it.

They won when Ennis and Prather could push on the fast break. They lost when there was a drop in Fast break points when Daniels had no confidence on the drive nor the finishing skills.

Reply #640506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seems they don't really have any athletic front court players any more."

Lucas Walker?

I think Lucas Walker doesn't quite fit in a professional men's league. He is not big enough to be highly effective as a front court player, and not mobile or skillful enough to be a back court player. I would love to be wrong, and haven't seen him play much of the domestic game. My recent memories of him are being owned in international games.

They have no one that demands a double team? I have a feeling Cotton may demand a double team. Trying to defend him in the pick and roll with dw spreading the floor will be a nightmare.

From memory, Cotton tended to get single coverage, with a switch. It seems more common for a double team to come in the front court, which can create opportunities for other scoring options or ball rotation. Maybe a mismatch from a Cotton cut has a similar result. It just seems that their other options are more predictable to defend at this point.

I think it is safer for a defensive forward to provide help on a cut while Prather is not on the floor.

Reply #640515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are all dumber having read that....

Reply #640516 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Is Dazz back as an anon?

Reply #640530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha would make sense

Reply #640534 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

I was thinking the exact same thing!

Reply #640543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754