Anonymous
Years ago

Mens SEABL Finals

The SEABL finals are fast approaching.

It seems Mount Gambier are dominating having only dropped 2 games for the season to date. They have locked in top spot in their conference and would seem to be short odds to make it back to the championship game for an astonishing 5th time in a row. Nunawading have pushed them in both games this season so they are no certainty to get out of the conference but definite favorites.

Dandenong now lead the south in a very tight conference. they have beaten mount gambier and i would think are the most likely to trouble the pioneers. they have beaten them once and pushed them on their home court. ballarat can go off but seem to lack a bit of consistence. hobart are perhaps in a similar boat.

interested in the thought s of others

Topic #41560 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers play MtG twice in the next 2 weeks and have beaten the Rangers once. Things heating up. Miners only danger and possibly the Spectres.

Reply #640986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong whack spectres by 20. Chargers go down by 10.

Reply #641444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat win the south and mount gambier wins east in men's.

Best season in years. Finals start next weekend.

Reply #642583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers?

Reply #642584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers 2nd. All 4 Tassie teams in the finals.

Reply #642602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Attended my first SEABL game last night Kilsyth vs Mt Gambier. Very classy outfit Mt Gambier will be very hard to beat. Well coached and play hard.

Reply #642605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MtGambier were in the hunt Vs Chargers the other night and I would expect Chargers Vs MtGambier again.
A 3 way tie sees the Miners get 1st spot in the south. Braves miss out losing to the Tigers last night.

Reply #642617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braves wouldn't make it even if they won last night, had a very poor year. Mount gambier favourites Hobart probably 2nd, miners could surprise but defence of their guards has to improve and playing more team first could help.

Reply #642618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This weekend's game at Geelong looks like it could be a full house, go Supercats!

Reply #642989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers are expecting 100's of Northerners to make the trip tomorrow night. Should be a great game with the Southerners hoping to get a 3 peat over the Torns this season.

Reply #643006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two great seabl finals, Dandenong and Ballarat winners. North west tasie gone. Mount gambier and Ballarat get week off.

Reply #643380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hows those refs in dandenong had the thunder import on 4 fouls in 6 minutes of game time.

Reply #643382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its hard to watch when a quality player is getting soft calls called against him ruins the game for me .some of those refs should be doing netball they like to be involved all the time instead letting big boys play ball.

Reply #643383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is probably more a reflection on the person who appointed them rather than the referee themselves

Reply #643385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller on Muo defensively and King Davis on Garlepp worked very well for the miners, good coaching move there, probably the game winner. Sam Short also playing great, top team effort all round.

Reply #643404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

pioneers continue the winning run at home. high quality game. cant see either geelong or nunawading upsetting them in the conference final. pioneers even got a mention in federal parliament yesterday. while obviously good for the club and league probably more important issues to be raised by the local member.

Reply #643733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why were they mentioned?

Reply #643735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you look at tony pasin mp facebook page he has uploaded a video of himself speaking about the pioneers in parliament. sorry i dont know how to add link.

Reply #643757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt gambler is one of the Ice capitals in Australia I would reck9n. Significant social issues there.

Reply #643798 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Devastated to hear that Demarcus Gatlin has to have surgery on his foot and is out of the finals, makes it tough for the Supercats now!

Reply #643814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart gone, Ballarat v Dandenong next week.

Reply #644120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dandenong putting a run together. is moller playing next week? without moller my money is on dandenong. if moller is playing on think ballarat get the w.

Reply #644127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mollers is out, still think Ballarat will win this if they play D, this is where the loss of Moller could hurt though. Still very surprised that Hobart went out so meekly.

Reply #644128 | Report this post

charon69  
Years ago

Nothing from Hobarts bench. No young talent on the rise either.

Reply #644150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats minus an import lose badly.

Reply #644173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No moller how come?

Reply #644205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is at the Universiade/World Uni Games.

Reply #644236 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Actually anon #173, Supercats were decimated also losing Ma'alo Hicks with a collapsed lung just days prior to the game, so the Geelong guys were not just down an import but also their starting power forward and I dare say no where near their best mentally for a final.

Sadly, the Geelong SEABL men had their legs taken out from under them just at the worst time possible, not taking anything away from the Specters, they are a solid outfit and good luck to them, but they would not have expected to win that easily if they were up against a full squad.

Reply #644287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Season over.

Reply #644288 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yup, but Supercats SEABL women won and are still going...

Reply #644289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers all hype, talked up so much during the season.

Reply #644292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mount gambier for me from the east conference, the south is a toss up but without moller and the form dandenong have found at the right time i think they will get the win.

Reply #644436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers with the talent they had should have won it all. Not overhyped at all. Disappointing end with nothing from the bench. Time to rebuild financially stable now. Better imports and better ausdies and they may not be so many Tasmanian next season.

Reply #644442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So not hyped just epic failed?

Reply #644443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hardly. Several losses by small margins on the road. Lost one regular season only. Beat Mtgambier at home. Fail no. Far from it. Remember their budget was probably half of some of the power teams that didn'tmake the finals. Almost 100k debt now cleared and next season more to spend on players.

Reply #644490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Understood.

How were crowds at Derwent like?

Reply #644507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few know the team or program budgets of their own club let alone other clubs. Uneducated speculating does more harm than good.

Reply #644511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would guess maybe average 1000+. If you don't know your own clubs spending you aren't even in a position to comment. It's been made clear previously what's clubs spend.

Reply #644523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assuming 1000 people at $5 profit (maybe a stretch at DEC, I don't know), two home games could pay for a good Aussie SEABL starter. In fact, two home games would go close to paying the salary for a lot of the imports in the league.

Even with the reduction to possibly 10 home games in 2018, revenue from Hobart's home games would make a good dent in their player payments.

Good on them. Great to see basketball on the rise in Hobart.

Reply #644549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not all about the money. Chargers ran cl8nics camps etc for 11000+ kinds. I doubt anyone is doing that anywhere else in Australia. All sponsor boxes sold. Finally fully integrated into all South clubs and also running clinics for BTad. BA behind the as Well. Front page article in The Mercury yesterday and an editorial on why the Nvm push is well ahead of schedule.

Reply #644559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grand Final night livetstats fail.

Reply #644848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks l8ke seabl forgot about SA time.

Reply #644860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs swallowed the whistle big time on swetalla's three on the buzzer to force OT. Got fouled clearly by BOTH defenders. Didn't want to make the tough call.
Neutral observer.

Reply #644863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seeing a still pic of the 3 point shot on the buzzer. All I see is one body on the right all over Swettalla. FOUL. Rest assured fail againby the refs. Probably the same refs that ref nbl and aren't up to it.
Hopefully they will be dropped game 1 and 2 and 3 next season. Hopefully Nunawading will lodge a formal protest. Was there a vidoe review as is required?

Reply #644864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Non of the refs on tonights game were NBL referees.

Reply #644866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even it was a foul who is to say he would have made all three free throws. Plenty of calls went to the protected species of conn and MacDonald all year. Seabl bought in there refs from Melbourne for both finals so no home cooking by a long shot. Hopefully the spectre boys and coach don't disgrace their club when drowning their sorrows after this years conference loss as they did last time they lost one to mt gambier.

Reply #644867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even the one eyed Pioneer fans saw the foul. Would've received a few weeks suspension in the AFL for similar contact. Gotta love some home cooking!

Reply #644868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes who says he would have made all three, but you would bet it would easier to cop the L if free throws were missed.

Reply #644879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A great game pity there had to be a loser!!

Reply #644880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha dry your eyes. Home cooking from the refs especially flown in from Melbourne??? five in row. Too good.

Reply #644883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess them that explains why they aren't reffing NVM. No home cooking of course that's simply a stupid stated bt someone who knows nothing about seabl or probably basketball in general.
Make no mistake about it thete are plenty of refs in the seabl that aren't liked by teams and I am sure the feeling is mutual.

Reply #644886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 of the refs should be heald accountable on that blatant miss.And with 2 minutes left conn was hacked on the arm for another no call.when conn has a 10 foot jump shoot that goes 5 foot I would say he got hit.btw I don't follow either team and have huge respect for the pioniors

Reply #644888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not as if they are down 1 with 3 freethrowa to win it.easy call for the refs it would of only sent it to ot

Reply #644889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it was a foul shouldn't the referee call it? Regardless of the situation of the game.

Reply #644899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't there but I read from a mate who was that it was the last shot in the game. Don't know how to post the pic sorry. Looks like the usual refs uck up.

Reply #644900 | Report this post

Hespect  
Years ago

Skip to around the 1hr45min mark

Not sure why Nuna choose to use Steel as a decoy in the corner.

Mt Gambier players looked to be straight up and the Nuna import tried to game some contact.

Not the most inventive of plays coming out of the time out.

Reply #644906 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Really hard to tell for the ref then and there. Even frame by frame, I had to flip back and forth a few times but it looked like a foul, there is contact before release. Anyways, what's done is done.

Reply #644921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat gone in OT by 8, had the game won, choke is a bit harsh but boy they crashed when they should wrapped it up. Moller would've made a huge difference.

Reply #644922 | Report this post

Greg evans  
Years ago

Congrats DP. No Moller no miners. Wasted season.

Reply #644928 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Chargers are fully integrated in the south and have the support of all. You are kidding. They have done a great marketing job and the crowds have been awesome. The starting 5 for the men were all imports (American or interstate) and they achieved nothing more than the past few years. How does this support local basketball? Most coaches in the league would have gone all the way with this group.

Reply #644961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so who gets it done? Mt gmabier after reaching the final for an incredible fifth straight year or dandenong who have put a run together at the right time of the year? It was dandenong who beat mt gambier in 2013 which was the first year of their 5 straight appearances. DQ going off for 46. they will be keen to get one back on dandenong.

Although dandenong beat the pioneers at home this year it was after the pioneers had played geelong the night before while dandenong sat in waiting. i think that dandenong have also added jackson and page since that game.

for mine the pioneers will get it done. there experience in these games and there cohesiveness in pressure situations will show out. i expect a big game offensively from alexander who has had two quiet offensive games in their two finals to date. burdon has also been quiet in the two finals but has shown year after year in these finals he can consistently hit the big shots when required. they will be the two x factors for the pioneers. for the rangers i expect the pioneers will struggle to contain tim lang with his size and strength advantages over the pioneers. it is about the only obvious weekness for the pioneers in there inability to cover a big 5 player ie conn in their two finals games. pioneers in by 7 in a close one.

Reply #645043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wish i had a bet on the exact winning margin. great season by the pioneers, only 3 losses for the year well deserved 'ship.

Reply #645664 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:35 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754