Anonymous
Years ago

Isaac Humphries signs with the Sydney Kings

Isaac Humphries signs with the Sydney Kings, according to Olgun Uluc.

Link: https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/australian-bigman-isaac-humphries-signs-with-hometown-sydney-kings/news-story/8d858b945987eb5d1f4e612934473fa7

Topic #41568 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Official email just received.

Reply #641227 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Wise decision by the young man, this way he is guaranteed the minutes in real competitive environment to develop his skills. Workouts and practices are poor substitute for real court time in a very physical league. Absolutely happy for him.

Oh and hey if you're lurking around Wookiee, grab a pillow to scream into before you scare the neighbours ;p.

Reply #641232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be good to see what he can really do with a few minutes sure to come his way. Maybe he learnt a lot backing up the bigs at Kentucky and will be able to show us a bit

Reply #641236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still 3 years of draft availability for him.
Great signing for Sydney

Reply #641239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't feel he will have much of an impact at 19, in fact (I could be wrong, but) I feel a guy like Matt Hodgson will do more than him.

Reply #641243 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Still 3 years of draft availability for him.
Great signing for Sydney"

Are you sure? I though a player could only enter the NBA Draft once?

Reply #641244 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"I don't feel he will have much of an impact at 19, in fact (I could be wrong, but) I feel a guy like Matt Hodgson will do"

Don't underestimate Isaac. With good court time, he will be very, very effective.

PS I also think Hodgson is in for a breakout year.

Can't wait for the season to start !!

Reply #641245 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"Still 3 years of draft availability for him.
Great signing for Sydney"

No he doesnt he entered the draft and was undrafted. You cannot enter again...

Reply #641246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He can't enter the draft again as he did and wasn't selected. Would've been a different story if he'd withdrawn and just decided to play NBL but not the case

Reply #641247 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Young and capable 7 foot Aussies don't grow on trees so it was a great signing to make. Even if he just stands in the paint and looks a bit scary he will be of some value to the team. However I think he will develop in the NBL and continue to push his Boomers and NBA cause.

Reply #641259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Benno I stand corrected on him being eligible to enter future drafts.

Reply #641264 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I haven't seen anything from him that suggests he'll have too much of an impact in the NBL just yet (I'd be happy to be proven wrong). In 3-4 years once he has grown into his body and improved his footwork he could be a solid double-double guy in our league.

Reply #641292 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

LOL not quite yelling into a pillow worthy Steve, but have to admit that it was great news hearing that the Kings had finally snagged this young fella...

I agree with those saying that it would be better for him to develop his game in a tough league playing against grown men instead of riding the bench in college, especially with the Kings being so keen on him, hopefully he avoids the usual treatment bigs have been getting from Gaze and we can hang into him for a couple of seasons and see his game develop before he heads off overseas...

Slightly concerned though that the Kings seem to have been waiting on his signature to then move ahead with the rest of the team, especially imports... Now they're going after "the best available" instead of focusing on a legit big... I have big hopes for Isaac, but I can't see him as starting material just yet, surely? They're still really light on in the bigs, with only Ellis who seems to be a straight 4, and Tommy, who has been inconsistent (a lot due to inconsistent minutes). Dane would be lucky to get any minutes, so can't really count him...

Very glad we have the Hobbitses on board, but still a lot of work to do...

Reply #641301 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, definitely agree. I think he's a great prospect, but I'm not sure we want to roll him out as our starting 5 man in his rookie season. Maybe he'll blow us away out of the gates, but it's a pretty big risk.

Reply #641302 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Surely Humphries will start? He had offers from countries all over the World and I'm sure he talked to the Kings about wanting ALOT of court time?

Reply #641308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie, you're basing it on what that Dane won't play? Have you ever seen him play FIBA style basketball? Isaac Humphries averaged what in college?

Reply #641341 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Considering his deal is only 1 season with NBA out, I highly doubt he signed on to sit on the bench. If that was going to be the case, he'd pick Europe where he most likely will sit on the bench but have more NBA scouting exposure and possibly a bit more money.

Its hard to assess where he is actually at in terms of capability due to limited court time at Kentucky. From the brief flashes, rest assured that he can do things that most starting bigs in the NBL would struggle to do. Translating those flashes into something consistent would be one of his goals. Sadly once that happens, we may never get to see him play here anymore.

Reply #641372 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm assuming you mean me, Anon? I'm basing it on Gaze's track record of playing his bench players at all, let alone fringe NBL level forwards *cough*Hill*cough* although that's not taking into account the "son of ex-teammate" factor...

It all makes sense the reasons that he would be expected to start (the one season only thing is concerning for me, I was hoping if he had outs, it would be at least a 2+1 deal) but it's still putting a LOT of eggs into this 19yr old basket... I'm super keen to see him do well and I think he will be playing some really decent minutes, but I still can't put that ahead of what would be better for the team, and that's not relying 100% on him, especially when we're full up at the SG and SF spots with some quality back ups and Gaze et al have been pretty vocal abotu not thinking that they need an import PG, and we already have Ellis, and now they're going on about now being able to go after the best import available... where else is he going to slot in? Ellis isn't a 3/4, plus we have Blanch already backing up Newls at the 3, unless they're going full mental, starting Kev at the 1, moving Newls to the 2 and then plsying Ellis at the 3 and getting an import 4/5?

It all just doesn't make sense... Isaac will be going up against the likes of AJ, Kickert, DJ, Knight(?), Nana/Jawai, Jervis, Hodgson, etc, it's not going to be a case of him coming in and owning the league...

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's just the usual antsy time when teams are filling up and the Kings don't even have a locked in starting 5 yet... It took us forever to get a full team last season and we ended up just going with Prewster by default... I love that the Kings front office have big plans and have locked in some really quality players, but it's like they peak too soon and then can't follow through, and I just don't want to see that happen again...

Reply #641502 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Wookiee, relax. It's happening again.

Reply #641571 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I've just got to get used to it, Freethrows, but it's hard having high expectations of people and them not following through... Hell, even having low expectations and them not being met is frustrating... #KingsFanLife

Reply #641730 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Don't worry too much. I have watched Isaac since he was 13 years old. He has matured very quickly. He may be 19 but has the mentality of a 30 year old. He feels zero pressure, trust me. The talent is certainly there. He will be a huge upgrade on Truck, in that he will be consistent offensively and defensively. He is hungry and will deliver. Just watch and see.

Reply #641804 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

^^ RTFS (Rich Team Fan Syndrome). You know you might get lynched in Cairns if you make that complaint mate? What they would give to have Lisch, Newley, Blanchfield, Humphries and Ellis in their team.

I think by the time the roster is completed and regular season rolls around, we'll hear the same outcry of buying championship, shady salary cap gymnastics and the usual hullabaloo about the death of the league, etc.

From what I see so far, the Kings have upgraded their roster for the most part. You could see it as Ellis for Whittington, Blanchfield for Moller, Humphries for Maric and a rested, healed Lisch instead of a buggered one with a bum knee. Pineau for Hill is just swapping for more defense and rebound in certain situations.

The replacements you're still waiting are for Prewster, Powell and the three-headed abomination that was Bryson/Blake/Jackson. If they do pick up Singh, I don't think that would be a major downgrade for replacing Powell. You have to admit Josh started out hot but was pretty terrible near the end and Singh can certainly provide the same physical presence, 5 fouls and the occasional bone-headed plays every now and then.

Prewster was a bad fit last season. you can replace him with anyone and I doubt that you could do worse. If that Thoseby kid can nail an open 3 like he did in China, he'd easily be an upgrade. In fact as revolting as it may be to some, even Tomlinson would be an upgrade over Prewster here.

So that leaves the best available import within their mysteriously flexible budget. I reckon couldn't do much worse than the aforementioned three-headed abomination. Of course I could be wrong and they pick Bryson 2.0 just to stress you out :).

Reply #641814 | Report this post

Wobsy  
Years ago

Kings biggest problem last year was they did not play hard enough

Reply #641828 | Report this post

Green34  
Years ago

It blows my mind that they decided to sign Pineau over Hill. Hill's college record was much better than his ever was. Hill had no opportunity to prove himself and when he was given an opportunity, he performed well. Pineau only singed because he's a Gaze boy.

Reply #641983 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

HA! yes, I am fully aware that I am complaining about a team with a combination of ex and current Boomers and Boomers B level talent that a lot of the smaller teams would be jealous of, but in turn, I am jealous of the way that their teams are put together with balance in mind, not an open cheque book...

I agree with you that there are some upgrades, Blanchfield being the best. Humphries is still yet to prove himself an upgrade for Truck, although I think that the numbers will be an improvement and if we could rely on him for 2-3 seasons, it would be a very worthwhile investment... I was never a fan of Powell on the court (off court he was great) and I grew sour on Whittington the sookier he got, so fingers crossed that Ellis is truly the upgrade... Thoseby looked good in China, but I would imagine that Hooley would be ahead and a better option...

The team below has quality but also some big gaps...

??? / ???
Lisch / Cadee
Newley / Blanchfield
Ellis* / Garlepp / Pineau
Humphries / ???

So it all depends on how they fill the gaps... If they get a starting 5 import (r at least an experienced one) & get great minutes blossoming into starters minutes out of a promising youngster VS if they rely on a 19yr old as their starting centre and an unproven big in Singh... If they get a quality starting PG and have Lisch play his more natural role that he managed to earn league MVP in twice VS forcing Lisch to be our primary ball handler and bring in two other guards who don't really have the skills to contribute enough so languish on the bench...

It will be a very interesting month or so ahead (hopefully) especially now with the drawcard of being a key player playing against an NBA team and also with the pressure of putting up a good fight and having the personnel to do that...

Reply #642003 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think with JVG, you need to avoid looking at roster construction in the traditional way of positional starters and backups. Unlike a coach where you might just focus on talent at which position, he'd also be looking at $$, value out of said $$ and managing playing time/player ego.

Lisch, Newley, Ellis and Humphries will start no matter what. Significant $$ and playing time promises to secure their signatures will guarantee that but their talents ensure that they will start anyway. I bet those four will take up at least half of the available playing time of the roster. Possibly more.

Less than half of the playing time is going to be divvied up between the second import, Cadee, Blanchfield, Garlepp, Pineau and the last two spots. Doesn't look like there will be enough minutes for everyone does it?

The way I see it, Cadee, Blanchfield and the second import is going to gobble up most of playing time outside the starting four. If they sign Singh, the second import is almost certainly a guard but it may not be the facilitating PG type you had in mind. It'd be someone similar to Brandon Paul that they were keen on last season.

If you look at Lisch and Cadee, you'd understand that the Kings would need an athletic, larger guard to complement them. Preferably someone who can bring the ball up the court, good defender and rebounder for a guard. I had no doubts that they'd spoke to Paul again in Vegas, but he has signed with the Spurs since.

If they don't trust Singh then they'll have to find a backup 4/5 as you said but that leaves their backcourt still as deficient as last season with Blanchfield maybe serviceable occasionally playing the 2. You're right though Wookiee, it will be interesting in the coming weeks and that NBA pre-season game is definitely a drawcard for quality imports. I can already see Ellis and Humphries perking up for that game with a chip on their shoulders.

Reply #642167 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, all very good points, and especially right about the spread of minutes... It will be tight to get everyone what they've been promised and what their talents would demand, and it might be different with a full strength Lisch, but we saw what happened when Gaze only played 6-8 players max last season when the arse fell out of the 2nd half... I know part of that was Whittington dealing with the passing of his father, but he really went off from his start of the season, and Powell, well, pass on any polite comments, and still, Lisch averaged the most mpg last season and when we needed the bench to step up, they didn't have hardly any game time under their belts to make a significant contribution...

So maybe overplaying the starters and promising certain people big minutes might not be the right way to go... Maybe the focus needs to be on what is best for the team... Look at Rotnei Clarke last season... Bevo benched him and did he go off and sook about it? No... They ended up making the playoffs...

I know there is a realistic side to the game, but the best, most successful stories are from proper TEAMS, not collections of individuals...

If you look at Lisch and Cadee, you'd understand that the Kings would need an athletic, larger guard to complement them. Preferably someone who can bring the ball up the court, good defender and rebounder for a guard.

People are going to get sick of me saying this, but you just described Jesse Sanders, who I've been talking about for months... He'd fit this team perfectly... A great facilitator, team first mentality and tough defender... Great guy off the court and ticks every single one of the boxes... Plus he won't go anywhere near breaking the bank, either...

But there's about as much chance of that happening as there is of Bogues suiting up for us to start the season to play over in Utah ;)

#ImpatienceIsNotAVirtue

Reply #642206 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I remember Jesse Sanders, he was all class. He was classy when he got cut, and he was classy when he returned.

However, athletic he was not, he was a decent player but not enough for a contender team to be honest. I really liked the guy for the way he handles himself and his team first attitude, every team needs a guy like that, BUT a serious contender needs something more from that position.

Reply #642207 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Jesse Sanders would be great if you could have 5 imports and if you were likely to play him off the bench. And Jesse Sanders would be in the league if he were an Australian. The problem is neither of those situations are reality and when you need a top quality starting point guard to compliment a team like this you dig a little deeper than Jesse Sanders.

Reply #642209 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They already have two top quality starting point guards in Lisch and Cadee.

Reply #642211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*reads Wookie and Steve posts*

Luckily I'm a speed reader.

Reply #642216 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Speed reader and typer but not a proof reader ;) EE...

Pre-submit edit: Buckle up anon, this is another big one...

They already have two top quality starting point guards in Lisch and Cadee.

Since when have they been point guards? Barely even combo guards...

I agree that there are much better players out there, that also come with a much higher price tag and possibly other "I'm king shit" baggage (which is always a risk when you're bringing in players of a high calibre *cough*Randle*cough*) but I disagree with him not being athletic (he's not a flashy player, but the guy would run most people off the court) or a good fit... The Kings don't need scoring power, they need someone to get the ball to their existing arsenal and in the right spots... Lisch, Newls, Cadee, Blanchfield - all capable of dropping huge numbers... Ellis and Humphries, from what I understand, function better in certain areas as well, but will that work when you've got ball handlers that also need to get their numbers and into their own prime locations?

Also, the Kings will most likely spend up big on their first two imports, as well as what others have mentioned in regards to already having a top Aussie core of players that they would have shelled out a fair amount of dolleridoos on as well... Also add to the mix that Gaze and JvG have been persistent in their line of probably not going for an import PG, so being cheap, willing to play a role and make the most of your minutes, would be high on the list, surely? Just trying to keep expectations rational...

As for needing someone of a higher calibre to be a contender... Let's look at the teams that got to the playoffs...

Hawks: Martin and Norton... Neither are super athletes or the top players on their teams... rotnei was hardly the facilitator that he was when he first came to play for them, either...

36ers: Randle led the league in assists (by default, being the highest average standing) but his real value was actually scoring points and after him it was Sobey and Creek... Still don't think this is a tick on either side, cosnidering how the 36ers won most oftheir games...

Cairns: Travis Trice... is he really such a tough measuring stick? Gliddon and Weeksy didn't really light up the stage either...

Wildcats: Well, there's no measuring up to Damo, but then who else is there? Kenny? A servicable player, but again, not setting the league on fire...

As for the rest... Gibbo/Bruce, Woodside/Stockton/Dillard/Tueta/Illi/etc, Ware/Tomlinson, none of them are either exceptional and/or took their teams to great success...

I'll stand by my opinion that either him, or someone in his mould would be a perfect fit for teh Kings...

Reply #642247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love your work wookiee, please keep it up.

Re point guards for the Kings I think Nate Tomlinson should be looked at, has limitations but gets the ball in the right places, smart player and minimum cost.

Reply #642253 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I waffle, I understand that, but hopefully there are some gems occasionally if people can get through it all :D

I thought about Nate as well, and it would be good to sort of go full circle with him, but he got benched for Adnam last season and he ended up with something liek 20mins game time? Straight out of college Nate, I'm on board, but dumped futher and further down the ladder Nate, I'm not so sure...

And to bring it back to my originally blabbing... Is he a better option than someone along the lines of a Sanders? Start Sanders, bring someone like Hooley on board, get a bit more fresh blood in there to keep the oldies like Lisch and Cadee on their toes, I reckon could be good...

Reply #642263 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Since when have they been point guards?
The start of last season.

Reply #642309 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Very unhealthy obsession with Jesse Sanders there... bordering on man crush level...

Seriously though, at his best Sanders was very similar to none other than Kevin Lisch! Sure they have their differences with Sanders having a bit more of a passer mentality but I didn't see anything serious that suggest Lisch wasn't proficient at running the offense. What Gaze ran last season didn't encourage a lot of drive and dish style of game.

Last season's roster was also ill-equipped to run the chosen offense. Opposing teams did realize that the Kings didn't have enough shooters to run it and you saw the end result. Based on who they've recruited so far, I'm pretty sure they're going to run something similar again but this time with more suitable players and that's also why I believe they're not too interested in the style of import PG that you crave Wookiee.

Reply #642355 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

lol... yeah, it seems a bit that way, doesn't it...

I guess you're right, and if it works this season, that's all well and good, I just don't think it will... I'll book in either my "I told you so" or "ok, fine, I was wrong" now... But I know which way I'm leaning (and no, not towards cuddling with Mr Sanders)

No matter how we slice it though, we're still down at least one import and at least one starter level quality player and there is no clue where that player will fit in due to the Kings still being so unpredictable...

Reply #642402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes the Untied have Hooley and Adnam now. That's a good thing ;)

Reply #642415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:20 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754