ChairmanOfTheBored
Years ago

Creek In Or Out?

Does anyone have any word about whether Mitch will suit for the 36ers this season? I assume he has a Euro/NBA out-clause?

Standing down as captain was disappointing, I had him pegged as a future captain a few years ago and to only last a season was a shame. The excuse that he was concentrating on his NBA aspirations kinda made sense, but when you think about it they could have held off on the call until they found out if he had any interest. There's probably not of offseason work for the captain that can't be picked up by other club leaders while he was OS.

There has also been some social media promos lately that don't feature Mitch on them. That's surprising as he's a crowd favourite, former captain and a long serving 36er. But then the other day an image surfaced with him on it.

If Mitch is out, who is in??

Topic #41583 | Report this topic

Sixers Fan  
Years ago

I was really disappointed that Creek lost the captaincy, he was a great leader and motivator. With another interruption-free season under his belt he could become an all-NBL level player. I've never been a huge fan of Teys, doesn't seem like a strong vocal character.

Reply #641602 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Mitch is in, calm down lol.

Reply #641604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek had to lose the captaincy. He was not mature enough off court with some really dumb decisions to be the captain of team that attaches #36ersfamily to anything even remotely basketball related.

Teys is a soldier, he is a unsuspecting leader and the group respond to him. This was actually one of the better decisions the 36ers have made this off season.

Reply #641612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The group respond to Teys? Please provide an example? Teys is an introvert, and other than being a straight edge type of guy, he isn't actually a leader at all. In fact he is one of few captains ever to be lucky to even have a deal.

Reply #641622 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

One point our captain was Maher, not it's Teys...somewhere along the line we lost our ability to have quality long-term stars who can lead

Reply #641637 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

My main problem is that the captain has to get minutes. No offense to Teys, but he probably should be at the end of the bench but gut feeling says that he will play a 6th man role that should belong to Moore(if rumours are correct). I get how his defender is better than others on our roster but he still isn't a ball handler and can't really shoot so is kinda a liability on the offensive end.

Reply #641638 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Being captain is over rated these days.

Creek will still be a leader in games, at training's and in the locker room.

The only difference is he won't be walking to half time to shake the other captain/s hand and hearing one of the refs pretend like they are competent. Instead he will be warming up focusing on the game which I think is more important.

It is a trivial difference and works out better for the team.

Reply #641639 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It is unfortunate that Creek lost the captaincy but it was necessary.

The last instance where he asked for people to take demerit points for him via social media was probably the last straw.

If you asked me who I would prefer as captain Creek or Teys, I would say Creek due to him being the face of the club now and being that exciting player is more marketable.

Given Creek's off court brain fades, Teys becomes the next obvious choice but I would if DJ was ever considered.

Reply #641649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teys although a battler is nowhere near being a starter or even steady role player in the league.

Reply #641659 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

It's a bit jarring for me to think that Teys is the team captain, mainly because he isn't particularly good.

Reply #641660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone at the club loves Teys. He doesnt have to play a massive amount of minutes or be s star or starter. The captain is the guy who is respected and leads with not only words but action. Teys is far from an introvert, he has had many great spurts that have helped turn games with hustle etc That sort of 1% stuff that lifts the stars to lift their own game. Creek has made some big brain fades mainly off court, so unless they were going to go with DJ, WHO IS an introvert, or a one hit wonder import, Teys was the best choice.

Reply #641662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Way of life really that you can't have great player as captain unless they're here to finish off career.
Would probably like to see announcement made just before opener and include imports, not really concerned they could be here for just a year. Want someone the rest of team will follow and it's really as described as above a honoury title. Can't see Teys being the one to sell anymore season tickets. Creek had to go with his boneheaded decisions off the court, was lucky not to have been stripped of it last year with the whole demerit points debacle. Wouldn't actually minded Sobey, but don't know how is percieved by rest of club and he could be on move soon as well. But that could be solved again with waiting for announce.

Reply #641672 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Its not cricket. The captain does SFA in basketball and is like the queen. Its just a figure head role and a bit of an honour for being recognised.

The coach pulls the strings and make the decisions and the leaders just set examples for others to follow in areas like effort and professionalism regardless of being a captain or not.

Reply #641678 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Can't see Teys being the one to sell anymore season tickets.
I know I always wait until they've announced the captaincy before I decide whether to get tickets.

Reply #641689 | Report this post

Bigballer  
Years ago

Teys is a good man and follows instruction. He is a quiet hustler and an introvert he is not, just not full of ego.

Creek's lobes are still fusing... He will be a great leader, just isnt mature enough yet.

Reply #641740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A Teys captaincy is probably a bit like Greer in the Tigers days. Some people didn't understand that, but it made sense to me. It doesn't have to be the most marketable player, it's often a great role model for the team. Creek has part of that in that he puts in loads of effort, but Teys is another. He wouldn't be beating out more skilled or athletic players if he wasn't what coaches often look for in role players.

Reply #641741 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754