Pennywise
Years ago

Early Power Rankings

How does each team look at this point? Just my opinion btw.

1. Melbourne United
(yeah, this was obvious, same as last year before the season. A Potential Starting 5 of (Insert Name here) possibly Randle/Ware????, Goulding, Prather, Anderson and Boone is going to send a shockwave through the league.)

2. Sydney Kings

3. Perth Wildcats

4. Adelaide 36ers (best looking team - depth wise)

5. Illawarra Hawks (need to follow up with a good PF/C Import.)

6. Brisbane Bullets (Great signing in Holt, Buford looking like the weakest import signing so far...)

7. NZ Breakers (Haven't really added any wow factor from last year, hopefully can re-sign Akil Mitchell.)

8. Cairns Taipans (Sorry Snakes' fans but Egwu wasn't the best of imports to retain, Scoochie looks good but this roster is still looking the weakest on paper)

Topic #41647 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think had Adelaide not performed last year, people might look at this new roster and have serious doubts about how it could work out. Especially given the import uncertainty over bringing back known quantities (I'm not really counting Moore).

Reply #643244 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

No way are Kings in the top 4 of that... Still not complete and missing key positions with a serious lack of depth in the front court...

Did Adelaide as a team perform well last season, or for the most part was it just stand out performances from Randle and/or Sobey?

Reply #643246 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

I think it's extremely well balanced and better than last year, if it clicks it could easily contend. We know enough about each player to see what they can bring and we know what we (expect) the two imports to bring.

with Randle you lost out big-time on defense and the rotational abilty (he could not play any other position). That's now gone, you now have 3 players capable of running the point to a certain degree and you can play a combination of Sobey/Moore/Shorter to suit the situation. Sobey may take the best defender and draw the attention but Adelaide have covered that by adding Shorter and Moore, who won't shy away from making teams pay for not covering them.

you've also now got Roberts who is a massive upgrade over Jacobsen. Coming off the bench he'll cause havoc in the paint and allow the sixers to space the floor, can't help be excited when gets the opportunity for putbacks...

Reply #643253 | Report this post

Pennywise  
Years ago

Kings have so far added Humphries, Perry, Leslie and Blanchfield with one more import to go. They've more than covered their need for bench scoring that's for sure.

Adelaide performed well as a team. They got contributions all around the board. Especially in throughout their win-streak. Also the experience of the Summer League for Sobey and Creek is only going to make those two better players.

Reply #643255 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Before I rank Sydney, who is their starting Centre?

They lost JK and Maric, will Humphries be the starter here?

I think its too early to rank anyone. United have not finished their roster yet.

Reply #643259 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

I think it's easy to overrate Melbourne at this stage.

On paper they look good, but how will it all work out. While Prather is a big get, their success will depend on their PG import.

I think Adelaide will improve and Ronald Roberts maybe the "must watch" import this season.

Kings need a PG.

Hawks will sneak into the playoffs again.

Reply #643262 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Melb seem like a short odds favourite so far, but depending on how some of the new imports perform it looks like it could be another close season. I'd agree that Breakers/Taipans/Hawks in some order look the weakest right now, but any of them could finish 2nd and I wouldn't be shocked either.

Reply #643267 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I think Melbourne's biggest upgrade could be in the HC position. If anyone can bring talent together and make it work it's Vickerman. Time will tell...

Reply #643270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne will need two balls, who gets the shots, Goulding,Prather, Anderson, Ware, Wesley, none of these are scared of putting it up, not certain it'll work.

Reply #643277 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kings need a PG.

Understatement of the century... But it looks like they will be relying on Lisch and Cadee to be running the point this season... At least with what looks like more scorers and better defenders to back up Lisch, it won't all be on him this season and if properly healthy, that could work out better, who knows... (I do, it won't work out...)

@LoveBroker - unless they change their mind, it sounds like the Kings will be keeping an import slot up their sleeves just in cases and going with a local as the last big spot... Big mistake, but that's another "I told you thusly" in the books... Humphries, Ellis*, Garlepp and Pineau is not anywhere close to being a proper front court and they seriously need another starter level big to be able to contend... Gaze keeps on about needing to improve rebounding... that front court isn't going to do that, even if they get Singh and he goes all Rodmanesque on the league...

Reply #643292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I'm not so sure about Sydney being rated so highly.
1. Melb
Perth
Adelaide
Sydney
Illawarra, Cairns and NZ I can't place just yet, Brisbane for the spoon.

Reply #643307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ADL & PER
MEL (maybe - will the $ finally bare fruit?)
ILL
------------------------------------------
CNS
NZB - don't seem to have done much? What happen to their shit hot recruiting from years gone by? Seem to have gone cold.
SYD (LOL)
Daylight
BNE

Reply #643313 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Can't properly rank until everyone finalizes their roster. Don't be surprised if you see Ellis play the 5 for brief stretches in the NBL if paired with a rebounder/shot blocker. Tremendous lower body strength will let him check/box even Jawai defensively. I've seen quite a few big 7 footers in college tried to back him down and failed miserably.

Reply #643314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 Perth - Cotton for a whole season and while Walker isn't as talented as Prather his shooting could be a better fit
2 Melbourne - Better coach AWESOME starting 5 bench doesn't appear to be as strong?
3 Adelaide - Shorter/Moore/Roberts will produce more than Randle/Ferguson/Jacobsen + improvement from their youth.
4 Illawarra - Similar to last year
5 Brisbane - Frontcourt looks a little weak. FAR stronger backcourt though
6 Sydney - If Humphries performs will be in the 4. However their lack of experience in Humphries/Pineau could be crucial. Lots of Depth 1 - 3 however.
7 New Zealand - Don't appear to have improved from last year unless their last spot goes to a strong player.
8 Cairns - Will overachieve and finish higher but on paper look the worst.

Reply #643316 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Starting 5 will prob be Leslie, Lisch, Newley, Ellis, Humphries. Bench will be Cadee/Daly, Thoseby, Blanchfield, Garleep/Pineau, Acouth/Singh, respectively.

Reply #643335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Acouth?

Reply #643339 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Deng Acouth is one of the South Sudanese kids from Chagai's stable in Mt. Druitt, western Sydney. Spindly 7'1" shot blocker with some 3pt range similar to Majok Deng.

Reply #643368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the best addition/upgrade to any club would have to be Vickerman. Finally United might live up to their name. In their history (not counting tigers) have they had at least a competent coach for this leave. If he can mesh the talent together they should be top two.
And despite the Kings player additions, will they have any impact if Gaze stays with the shuffle. Humphries will be totally wasted and signing with kings will be up there with decision to go to Kentucky.

Reply #643371 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Bullets are going to go well this season I believe. One struggle last year was having players who can create their own shot, Beal couldn't do this and often Gibson had to bail out the team late in the shot clock. Strong guard rotation and good big men.

Only weakness is the SF position with no Craig and hopefully TeRangi doesn't get as many minutes this year.

Reply #643412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:29 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754