Little Trevor
Years ago

Centrals - Can they survive?

With the head coach leaving, and many unsure of senior women playing numbers for the next season, will Centrals fall the way of the Raiders and have to pull out of district competition?

Basa rules stipulate both and mens and womens team must be entered, however if there is no womens team, the men can't play either.

Would a few years out of the senior ABL comp be good for their program, give them time to consolidate their junior program and grow from the ground up?

Or do they need a few core imports (other clubs, not o/s) to build a team around?

(Please keep this constructive, everyone knows their senior women are struggling, slagging them is not going to help).

Topic #4165 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is leaving from the womens centrals team

Reply #48391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: ABA Player Rumours (#48351)
Centrals are losing 7 juniors to north?

BabaLouie, 31/08/05

Reply #48404 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

well it woldn't be the first time North have picked up a load of Centrals girls for their program. Have a look in their 14s, 16s and 18s and you could count quite a few. Unfortunayely Centrals will continue to struggle if they don't have systems in place. Their area is the biggest in the State but money is short. I think if they could get a domestic competition going that doesn't have a lot of travel involved and it was cheap to play, then that may start thing going again. Their travel to most stadiums is enormous and I feel this is their biggest battle. It would take time, and unfortunately most people expect things will come quickly, and for this case it won't. If they are not carefull Centrals will be gone in a very short time.

Reply #48408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

names of players

Reply #48409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

in the know, perhaps they need to look at this club, and model their future on it.

Its worked for sturt (modelling their stuff on dandy).

Reply #48411 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

No maybe they should model it on West Adelaide Boys program as they are ALL their kids and they have worked hard developing these kids.

Some of the girls that are ex Centrals. Kirsty Williams and Mansfields.

Reply #48412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just goes to show that they shouldn't have put all of their teams in Div 1.

When players continually lose each week they will move clubs. rather than players who are winning each week in div 2 moving to them.

If they can't get their S**t together then get out and let the rest of us get on with developing basktball.

Reply #48415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from the site...

"Our Junior Domestic competition (played on Saturdays) provides for players from Under 8 to Under 18. This strong competition is the feeder for our representative, VBL and Big V teams. We are proud to have many ex-Broadmeadows juniors now competing at these higher levels. Our domestic competitions attract teams from the local area (Broadmeadows, Glenroy, Strathmore, Dallas, Gladstone Park, Westmeadows) as well as the more northern suburbs of Greenvale, Craigieburn and Roxburgh Park."

The success of Broadmeadows is due in large part to the success of their feeder domestic competition. At present, F/Ville and Sturt have their 'city south', yet i don't think many other clubs do this type of thing.

Reply #48416 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

The Southern Tigers also run a domestic competition: The Southern Basketball Conference.

Reply #48419 | Report this post

for-ur-info  
Years ago

Centrals struggle because of the socio-economic area the club is set in, many players struggle to pay fees. It wasn't helped by the move to Starplex (fantastic facilities but), Centrals have no income other than fees, other clubs have canteen and bar income. Starplex does not permit Centrals to sell any food (even though their canteen is often shut) nor can they run any raffles (not 100% sure on this last one). They would have been better off up grading the floors at the existing Elizabeth rec centre.

Reply #48427 | Report this post

for-ur-info  
Years ago

Reply #48428 | Report this post

concerned  
Years ago

It has been obvious since the mass exodous of Vicki, Brooke, Mel, Naree & Katrina, many years back that there has been no dedication to the Centrals women's team. The men's team is always better funded and beter resourced. By the way, Ricky does a great job. Attempts have been made to get in good coaches in the past but no results because the players, although they give 100% just aren't up to the standard required. Centrals women have always lacked a genuine big girl and point guard. The off-guard and forward positions have been well covered by existing players but not the above two mentioned areas. Recruting has got to be the key, buy a big girl and a guard and you will only need an average coach and success will come, hell, I think the girls would be happy to coach themselves if it meant money was there to buy some decent players.
The junior development is lacking because of quality of coaching staff, and they have to have teams in div 1, because how do you attract players if they can only play div 2.
A better marketing campaign needs to be conducted, visit local schools, run after school clinics, show your presence. Basketball is dying and we let it by not pushing it on to our youth, I think basketball has gone from the 2nd most popular sport in the 80's to 20th or more on the list.

Reply #48429 | Report this post

playersleaving  
Years ago

the tall lanky one I believe but out with knee injury anyway, and no huge loss. The yank goes back from import duty, thanks for coming!

Reply #48430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Concerned,

Players do not move clubs to play div 1. For every div 2 player that moves clubs to play div 1, probably 10 move for better coaching and better administration away from teams that are getting beaten week in week out.

Other clubs are actually expanding to the point where they have over 50 teqams in the Assocaition as well as a number of teams in there own competitions. This year both Sturt and Forestville will have probably over 60 teams all up.

I have said before that buying a senior mens team is not the answer for the club and I will say it again. Look at where the club is now compared to 2 years ago. No better.

Everybody from Centrals came on this site a told about how good it was that the senior men's team is winning. How they would get so many new players into the club because of it.

Not happening.

Reply #48436 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Lets not make this another uninformed centrals debate.

In answer to the original question, it will be interesting to see how the women go. I hope they can get a renowned,top coach. You would think with the facilities the club has, links to the school, access to fulltime resources, location - that will be the fastest growing in the state over the next 5-10 yrs, very little politics, the outstanding NRSA, challenge & opportunity to build a program from scratch and a team of people working very hard, it might be a tempting proposition for an outstanding junior coach to take the next step or a former successful ABL/WNBL coach that never got to build the program they wanted because of politics or lack of resources.

Reply #48441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nito,

Same stuff has been said for the last 30 years. And will be said at the end of the next 5 years.

If they are able to go out a buy a Senior Womens coach, and a couple of players. Who is going to pay for it?

The every decreasing juniors?

That way in a coulpe of years they wont have ANY junior teams due to the cost!

Reply #48443 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

48443, this time its different. In terms of attracting a coach there are more than one way to skin a cat. Now I dont have a clue and am only offering ideas. Maybe the coach works at starplex? Maybe the coach is a teacher and they organise a position for them at the school? Maybe the coach doesnt need the money, is loaded, and just does it for the challenge and fun?

Too many assumptions, too many guesses, too many possibilities to have an intelligent discussion but its and interesting one nonetheless...

Reply #48446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nito,

It has been different every year for the 30 years. Same results. After every good ABA year things go back to where they were.

Maybe they can get the first NBA coach sacked. he will not need to coach.

Maybe they can find a player/coach who runs bingo on Sundy night to pay for their recruiting trips to the Sudan.

Won't matter because they will still have a bad experience and will contiune to increase the cost for juniors and therefore decrease the number of junior teams and thus potential income.

Reply #48454 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Some good ideas there anon

Reply #48455 | Report this post

G -Train  
Years ago

Basketball in South Australia has to introduce new rules and regulations regarding recruitment of players from club to club. How many parents (or clubs) would be willing to pay $500 - $1000 to transfer clubs? In the SANFL junior system it seems to work and allows a player to change clubs if they are willing to go to them extremes, if not they will stay with the club. This system will allow a club like centrals to have complete control over the players they have and be able to develop to 8 or 9 year old kids that they seem to be able to attract but ultimately lose as a 13 or 14 year old to North, West or Woodville.

Centrals district have no affiliation to the Trinity College so an arrangement would never work as starplex is only ran by the trinity management not the education side of the school.

Reply #48459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G-train,

What you are essentially saying is that those players unlucky enough to live in the centrals area, will have to pay money to move away from a club which would rather spend money on their senior program than the juniors. That they should accept sub-standard coaching and accept that they will never play high level basktball with any success.

That instead of continuing to play basketball they might as well leave the sport all together and move to football or netball.

Plus, you forge tthat basktball is an Olympic/international sport with minimal investment, while football is a semi-Natioanl sport that has massive amounts of money. You would be better off comparing horses and geese.

Football thinking is exactly what caused the problem in the first place. Rather than working hard.

Reply #48460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G-Train, perhaps we could employ a rule where players in u16's or below must play for their 'area' team. Zone the city and ensure juniors are to play where they live.

Reply #48463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah anon #48463,

Lets really try to destroy junior basketball in this state.

Reply #48466 | Report this post

G -Train  
Years ago

AFL (VFL and SANFL) football less than 20 years ago was on the verge of being bankrupt, last time I looked basketball was as you said an international sport hence many, many more opportunities to sell the sport to kids and parents who are looking for a sport that may lead to representing their country at an Olympic games.

Yeah if a player who live in the Central District zone and is unlucky to do so and doesn't wish to play for that club, it should be bad luck (Football does it and it WORKS). If a family doesn't want to play for Centrals or a club say North Adelaide wants to poach (yeah it happens) a player for Div 1 will have to pay a transfer fee. Basketball has to have the confidence in its product that kids will ultimately choice the game over other sports such as football and soccer.

The perception is that Centrals doesn't have good coaches, but when players leave for success at some other club that doesn't help.

The game is bigger than any one individual or club and rules have to be put in place and monitored to allow every club a chance at success, not just the rich club stay rich and the poor club fight to survive.

Reply #48468 | Report this post

G -Train  
Years ago

The AFL put policies and procedures in place to protect grass roots football. Its about time the people who run the game in this country have a look at how grass roots basketball is going and implement a few rules and regulations to help save low income clubs from losing players to bigger more successful clubs like North Adelaide; they come in and shine the golden ticket to the family or player and say "come to North Adelaide and have a div 1 spot. How about a Sixers season ticket or and I know this for a fact heaven forbid " an Adelaide Crows season ticket"

Zones and transfer fees have to be implemented to help save club before it's to late. No club is bigger than the game and the objectives that should be in place are to have as many kids play the game as possible

Reply #48469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about the infamous $25 club fees for your first season, i think that practise is immoral. How many clubs are guilty of this?

Reply #48486 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Let the kids play where they chose. Clubs should be doing a good enough to attract the kids. That is the nature of a competitive environment and zoning just means the poor clubs will still be able to recruit kids. The competition is currently even stevens, all clubs are on an even keel because they can nominate teams where they see fit (not saying this is a good thing or not) but its the way it is. The best, hardest working clubs will get the most players.

Im not sure about how football works but I don't think zoning is a good idea.

Reply #48487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

back to the topic, Riverland Raiders had to pull out of the ABL due to a lack of a women's team.

What do centrals need to do to ensure this doesn't happen?

Reply #48488 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Whilst I am not involved in junior basketball in any way, I think the restricting of movement is essential to the grass roots of all clubs, in particular those who may not be as financial as some of the bigger name clubs.

I think it's wrong that a club can develop a player thru under 8i's/10's/12's etc....but come u14, the kid can move to another club for a div 1 spot, and the club who spent all the time and effort in developing the basic skills has nothing to show for it.

The idea of a massive clearance fee could work, as it would put a lot of people off, but obviously if the family can show that they have legitametely moved to a new area, and therefore a new club is more convenient, the move should be allowed without any penalty.

Reply #48492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was a softballer when i was younger and they have very strict rules about moving clubs. You have to put your case in writing, it goes through the Softball SA committee and in very rare circumstances usually resulting from a move from ones clubs zone to another are you able to switch clubs. No money was involved as far as i can recall, and it was just such a hassle to go through to move clubs most people didnt bother. This could be something that could be implemented rather than paying a huge fee.

Reply #48494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would rather management spend their time on getting programs out on time, than dealing with individual cases of gripes.

Great concept tho, but i don't think were ready for it.

Reply #48498 | Report this post

Go Lions.  
Years ago

yogee,

So by restricting movement, you are making 12 year olds play for a club they don't want to (for whatever the reason), or quit..... I wonder which choice they'll make??!!

Perhaps the child would like to move because the club is NOT developing their players to their satisfaction?? The club can then be as lazy as it wants, coz the kid cannot move to a more developing program (not suggesting Lions, just in general terms). Where is the incentive for the club to then develop better skills AT those junior ages?

And why would Centrals (or ANY club) want players who don't WANT to play for them? I'm sure they'd rather have kids who aren't as talented but love their club.

I thankfully can see why your not involved in junior basketball.

Players won't leave a club they are happy at...

Reply #48506 | Report this post

Out country  
Years ago

Isn't Centrals classed as being a "country" club, and therefore both the mens and womens teams won't ever be dropped from the ABL, as BASA needs a country club. Wasn't that one of the attractions for moving to Gawler (Gawler being classed as country)?

Reply #48513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its not a matter of them being dropped, but a matter of Centrals being able to field a womens teams. Should they not be able to field a team (as was the case with Riverland), then they will not be allowed to compete in just the mens.

Reply #48514 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Leave the central ABL and join the SEABL. No womens' team required here!

Reply #48522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

centrals have not been a district club for 30 years so how can the discussion been going for that long.

history will show you at times centrals have been a lot stronger than they are at present.

Reply #48535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a player of the Centrals ABA women's team I am confident we will get a quality coach for the 2006 season that will be able to draw players. While I do think the subject of this forum is a valid one, and has crossed the minds of a lot of people, I think it's been blown out of proportion. Once a coach has been appointed things will settle. I'm sure there are other teams in the league that have yet to appoint a coach. Why doesn't everyone focus on their own team, instead of bagging Centrals like they always do? Unless you play for Forestville women or Woodville men, you have a lot of work to do yourselves. Yes we haven't won an ABA women's game for 5 years, yes we are a struggling club with our juniors  why does this have to be constantly pointed out? Do you think we don't know this? It's easy to sit back and say what needs to be done, but who is willing to step up to the challenge? And I find it amusing that Gawler is considered "country". Are you serious? That's like saying Noarlunga is considered country. Gawler isn't in the Barossa! And that's half the reason why it's hard to draw players, because Gawler has that "country" label attached to it. It's 45 minutes from the city  big deal.

Reply #48578 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

I would just like to point out an excerpt from the BASA website about Aussie Hoops, a program which is already dedicated to grass roots basketball and increasing junior participation. I know from experience and hard work that this has helped a certain club reach great heights in this area:

The program is designed to:

Be safe

Gradually build confidence

Emphasize involvement

Develop healthy lifestyles

Develop a relationship between elite and grass roots basketball

Create a positive outlook on physical activity

Be enjoyable for players, teachers, parents and coaches

Be easy to implement

Adapt to any locality

Im sure with the last point, that then it should be able to starplex's locality.
Centrals need to start from the bottom and work their way up, instead of diving in and fixing the problem in the wonrg places.

Reply #48604 | Report this post

nito  
Years ago

Quiet one. its all happening buddy.

Reply #48605 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Nito- from what iv read and heard, it obviously isnt- apparently the former JDO didnt do a good job (mind you, the job needs to be completely separate in order to do it well) and junior member rates aren't skyrocketing either.
Iv been apart of a club since I started that has been through the losing streaks, bagged for being "shit" and "crap". It wasn't until programs like the one previously mentioned that were inplemented as part of the club itself, along with other intitiatives, that it began to improve.

Reply #48613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee, G-Train and others,

Sports are competitive. And taking away the competition for clubs is like saying that you are not there to win but to all sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbya.

If you and your clubs are looking to do that, fine. Enter into the local social comeptition and go for your life.

The rest of us are here to compete. Simple market theory shows that competition creates the best level of resource allocation into what is successful. While governemtn intervention (communism) creates market anomolies, and massive problems on all levels. The more intervention the larger the problem. our comeptition already causes problems, adding a restriction of movement would only increrase the division becasue some clubs would work harder, while other would work less hard. I will let you work out which is which.

Perhaps these clubs who are struggling should better look at what they are doing rather than trying to stop individuals from making decision about what is best for them.

And Yogee, making comment on something you have nothing to do with is showing ignorance at the highest level. Think about it before writing it..

Reply #48636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#48636 - That is a wonderful dissertation on the advantages of capitalism over socialism. Not greatly helpful here, but all your Liberal Party friends would be so happy.

Rampant and uncontrolled market economies always lead to the 'survival of the fittest' at the expense of the rest. So yes, if you think it is in the best interests of basketball in SA that struggling clubs fold then you are right.

But even from a societal point of view we have many many safeguards or 'safety nets' to protect people who are at risk or at a disadvantage. Take for example, the ACCC, the welfare system and government funded education to name just a few.

Yogee and others are actually making some sensible suggestions to safeguard struggling clubs. And they are perfectly entitled to their opinion. The suggestions do work and have worked elsewhere.

I find it extremely poor that you would criticise someone who has openly admitted that they are not involved in junior basketball. Someone from the outside will often have a fresh and different perspective to add and different life experiences to draw on. Without that perspective, things can and will stagnate.

To say that 'zoning' is a form of communism (by which I assume you meant socialism) is not only absurd but very naive. Competition in Australia is highly regulated to make the plpaying field fair. So before you go telling people that they should butt out, you might want to do a bit of your own homework first.

Reply #48676 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Anonymous 48636, while I agree with some of the things you said, I support Yogee, G-Train and others, to have their say and voice their opinion.

Reply #48680 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Yogee and G-Train are onto something. Before the SANFL zoned, they had 2 or 3 strong junior clubs and hence a very un-even comp. Now look at the comp. Any team has the ability to win in each junior age group. This years, each State Team had a minimum of 2 reps with a max of 6 reps. Is that the type of comp we are looking for? Even, close results, State reps from each club...

Reply #48822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rite,

How many Olympioans has the SANFL produced in the last 25 years?

anon #48676

We all live in a socialist society. We are not talking about a pure competitive model, without any rules. Rather, pointing out that the greater the government control, the worse it will actually be for these weaker clubs. Economic rationalism is actually a Labour produced system bought into our consiousness by Paul Keating. But yes survival of the fitterst is IMO the only way we can help the lower clubs. Give them a reason to improve rather than a slow painful death. They have been getting worse for some time. It is only a matter of time until it becomes a reality. And in the mean time all basketball isa suffering.

If Centrals were to actually spend the $40K that they spend on their senior teams on their junior program they would not need to have rules in place to help them.

Because the rules would only decrease participation levels ion the sport. Due to the fact that they would have no incentive to get better.

Melbourne had a competitive structure for years. During that time Dandenong has gone from a fringe div 2 club to a powerhouse? They are from a low economic area and had a low level of coaching. Through hard work and commitment to a long term goal rather than a short term quick fix they have because what they are today. During this period, Victoria dominated Australian Junior National Championships.

Recently, the smaller clubs thought that they would vote through a 20 teams competition rather than the 12 team they were working in. Plus only allow 2 teams from each club in this comp. The result has been the worst period of results sinmce junior age championships. As well as no change in the size or standard in the smaller clubs.

Why? Becasue no matter how bad your development program if you have a half decent kid with a bit of natural ability, you can qualify for DIv 1.

Now those States, NSW, QLD and WA who all have competitive models have improved their overall results at National Championships and SA and Victorian are steadily going backwards, and unless we as the clubs commit to doing something about it, we will not have any more good kids coming through our junior ranks that will be good enough to end up in our National League teams.

Reply #48830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ppl last time i cheked this was supposed 2 b about centrals abl women NOT there juniors im sik of readin about junior programs at centrals. and for the record obviously cantrals cant pull the good coaches needed 2 coach a div 1 or an abl team 4 dat matta so y would players that want 2 do well at bball stay there. if they had good coachs ppl would stay there bcos they would b developing there players therefore doing well so y punish players by keeping them at centrals where that cant forfill there potential (spell check) i no a few x cenral div 1 players that have left 2 play div 2 or 3 al other club doesnt this say somthin about the club. sorry dont mean 2 bag centrals but something need 2 be done and quickly

Reply #48859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

something need 2 be done and quickly with your written english!!
most of centrals abl women are juniors.

Reply #48862 | Report this post

Mustafah  
Years ago

I think we need an interpreter to decypher Anon #48859

Reply #48865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

48859 - I think you must be from North or Norwood (only jokes). You're obviously not from Centrals!

Reply #48867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rite,

I am NOT looking for State Reps from every club as you appear to be. I am looking for the best State team, regardless of which clubs the reps play at - to get results at National Championships!!

And just how did our junior State footy team do this year?? Oh yeah, that's right....

Reply #48938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 48938 - How did our State Junior Basketball Teams do this year?? Zoning is done in Vic and WA for football as well and how did some of those State teams go this year? Vic, WA & SA have zoning in football and they are the only teams in Div 1 at a National level.

I am not looking for State Reps for every club, what I am pointing out is that has worked in another sporting code so maybe we could explore that option? The current system has created and will continue to develop the stronger clubs and what does that do for the weaker clubs.

Reply #48960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does the current system do for the weaker clubs?
NOTHING - the same as some of the weaker clubs put in!!

Forestville and Sturt are within 10 km of each other, yet both seem to be thriving - why? Is it possible that to remain competitive with their near-neighbours they have to "up the ante"? Forestville have steadily improved their standings every year through hard work, and having good people (coaches, volunteers, JCDs etc) there. They made themsevles a "stronger" club - weren't reliant on the system to provide their players, they went out and found them and developed them themselves.

Although complaining does seem to be an easier option....

Reply #48968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

went out and found them? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply #49176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #49176

Yes, both of these clubs run successful Aussie hoops programs which they recruit from as well as getting out into Mini - Ball.

Anon #48960

Have you forgeotten that WA, VIC and SA are the only states that actually play Aussie Rules at any real level. If you got to NSW or Qld you will need to go a long way to find a Football field with 4 posts in it.

Or that 1 school (Sacred Heart) has produced more AFL players Than any of the clubs. I think that this say something about how much work the clubs do. None. The school system doesn't have zones and they produce more players than the clubs.

So what we really have here is not 9 strong junior clubs. But rather, 9 clubs bought back to the lowest common denominator, that of the weaker clubs. Exactly what we are saying will happen in basketball if zoning was bought into play.

Reply #49182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zoning is pretty sensitive for a certain club central in Adelaide as most of their good players live outside of what would be considered their zone.(If you used similar zones as the sanfl) Oh so they would have to develop kids that live in their area. That would be a novel idea!

Reply #50177 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

Maybe they wouldn't look so bad if we brought in a mercy rule so that when they are loosing by 15 points or more the opposition are allowed to play defence inside the three point line only.

Reply #51211 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

there are soooo many long threads on here, the ABA coach isnt leaving is he?? your talking about Ricky, right?

Reply #59457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fascinating....

Reply #365981 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754