Anonymous
Years ago

American recruits in Premier League?

Where do teams look at getting imports for premier league, is it a case of players approaching clubs or vice versa or is there an agency that represents prospective players. With not much money to offer I'm assuming most wouldn't have an agent but would be looking for an experience playing ball overseas with expenses paid and maybe a call-up to seabl later or something for their resume. Would assume that someone like Oldham and Davis have proven themselves and would be good commodities for the next level.
So is it a matter of networking with colleges and seeing who's available or is there a company out there that can do a one stop shop for budget imports, budget meaning they probably wouldn't be nbl standard.

Topic #41688 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one company, many. You're not making it clear as to why your asking. If you're a prospective coach, just ask.

Reply #644175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simply a general hypothetical question and interested with the influx of imports into premier league, where do they get recruited from. A big variation of talent so just asking what the procedure is, nothing covert, if you not can you just provide an answer instead of the cloak and dagger.
For example lets just say I'm a new premier league coach looking for a good guard and wing player, where do I go?

Reply #644177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the minimum payment for an import, I'm hearing it's $30g ??????

Reply #644207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, not 30k, many of them are on working holiday visa with no minimum wage per game. The get recruited from the thousands of agencies around the world and one or two adelaide people who have contact with American players/agents. Not much money to be made though. More for the love of the game.

Reply #644209 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Working holiday visa with maybe a free rent or low price board agreement in place. If you want a good name, throw in some work they can do in between basketball. Something easy or pays very well. That way the player leaves happy and the agents tend to look after you.

Free players are free for a reason. However Australian league is good for the resume for a paid position in Asia or the U.K.

Reply #644231 | Report this post

Jayden K Smith  
Years ago

word of mouth with the right people

Reply #644232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a coach in the PL

There are 3 ways to source players, Agent, Tour Groups and Word of Mouth. This is in the order of cost as well. Players with agents have fees that come with using an agency. Tour Groups and Word of Mouth are generally cheaper.

As for cost
There are a few VISA's you can use but the most common (and easiest to work with) are the Working Holiday and Tempory Activity. Working Holiday mean the player can work for anyone in Australia. Tempory Activity VISA means the player can only work for the sponsor (the club). The VISA has changed recently meaning the cost committed is not as high.

As for 30k, from my experience I wouldn't spend that on 4 Americans, it would be half that if not less and the players wouldn't see all of it as there are other costs involved. Most players are desperate for the opportunity.

Reply #644247 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Just under $30k that you refer to above is for a Sports visa import where there is the Fiba minimum, Seabl imports generally on those visas and the temp and holiday visas are the lower division imports.

Reply #644267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754