Anonymous
Years ago

Overseas players as locals for premier league?

With the sixers having an Indian player as a development player, does this mean he can play as a "local" here and does this mean asian/new Zealand qualify as well or is that only for Nbl?
Not sure if this has been raised before and I've only had a quick look, appreciate if anyone knows the ruling.

Topic #41695 | Report this topic

Jayden K Smith  
Years ago

good question !

Reply #644524 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Years ago

I assume that the rules for imports/overseas players in the Premier League are the same as all the other leagues in Australia....... If that's the case....

- The Indian guy would be still classed as a restricted player/import in the PL, as he would be in the SEABL, SBL, QBL etc. Just because he's a DP at NBL level doesn't change anything.

- New Zealand players, and in fact any players from countries in FIBA Oceania (Fiji, Guam, Tonga etc etc), can play in Australian leagues as 'locals'. This rule has been in place for 4 or 5 years now.

Reply #644530 | Report this post

Jayden K Smith  
Years ago

I think that was part of the question has Oceania rules translated to Asia, seeing Aust played in that group.

Reply #644532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good question. Anyone?

Reply #644540 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Premier League has a separate designation for restricted players to the NBL. Max of 2 restricted of which only 1 can be foreigner. Download the pdf for PL by-law here, section 14 or 15 I think:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi%3Fid%3D3472046&ved=0ahUKEwjd08ueqezVAhUEk5QKHfAJDMMQFggqMAY&usg=AFQjCNHjaL6lhmoOkkFA_KeCjVi9ou_g2g

Reply #644547 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Sorry section 3.5, I got the right pdf link but reading a different one. Also not sure if that's the most current version, could be a more recent one out there.

Reply #644551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Current version here

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36073010

Reply #644555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754