Aussie
Years ago

Basketball participation numbers in Australia?

We have all heard that basketball participation numbers in Australia are booming. I'm curious to know, if anyone has the actual numbers, say as opposed to numbers, this time last year? (Especially interested if there has been increased number amongst kids, say 5-12 years old).

Apparently the Aussie Hoops program has increased by 30% on this time last year aussiehoops.com.au

How do we compare to other big codes nationally, like AFL, Soccer or netball?

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Topic #41714 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Football (soccer) is #1 basketball #2 no matter what the non-global sports purport to have in terms of junior numbers. They love fudging the figures.

Reply #644904 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Link to your statement?

Reply #644905 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The Australian Sports Commission has instituted a population tracking program, called AusPlay, to track sports and physical activities' participation in the Australian population. Latest published data I found are for the 12 months from October 2015 to September 2016. So about 12 months back. They were published in December 2016.

Based on those data, the participation rates among kids aged 0-14, for "organised out of school hours activities" were:

SPORT PARTICIPANTS % OF POPULATION
Swimming 1,378,967 30.0%
Football 674,094 14.7%
Australian football 366,462 8.0%
Gymnastics 341,200 7.4%
Netball 332,018 7.2%
Dancing (recreational)329,003 7.2%
Basketball 300,622 6.5%
Tennis 280,239 6.1%
Cricket 256,930 5.6%
Athletics (T&F) 203,873 4.4%
Rugby league 126,754 2.8%
Karate 121,877 2.6%
Dance Sport 106,901 2.3%
Hockey 76,922 1.7%
Touch football 76,039 1.7%
Lifesaving surf 65,986 1.4%
Fitness/gym 59,282 1.3%
Rugby union 57,429 1.2%
Taekwondo 49,261 1.1%
Martial arts 47,279 1.0%

So soccer was #2 and basketball was #7. If we focus just on team sports, soccer was #1 and basketball was #4, split by Aussie Rules and netball.

For boys' team sports, basketball was #4 behind soccer, Aussie Rules and cricket. For girls' team sports, it was #3, behind netball and soccer.

There's a separate table focusing in club sports for kids. I'll put that in a separate post.

Reply #644940 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Club sports' participation for kids aged 0-14:

Football 551,911 12.0% 28.8%
Australian football 328,540 7.1% 17.2%
Netball 271,559 5.9% 14.2%
Basketball 251,583 5.5% 13.1%
Cricket 203,168 4.4% 10.6%
Tennis 192,167 4.2% 10.0%
Swimming 191,038 4.2% 10.0%
Athletics, track and field 124,541 2.7% 6.5%
Rugby league 115,949 2.5% 6.1%
Gymnastics 109,802 2.4% 5.7%

So soccer still #1, basketball still #4, split by Aussie Rules and netball.

The AusPlay methodology is population sample based (20,000 adults in the sample, 3,600 parents of kids sampled).

Reply #644941 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Oh, the AusPlay data include adult data as well but the OP asked about kids. The relevant published reports can be found at http://www.ausport.gov.au/information/ausplay

Reply #644942 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

These types of numbers are tough to come across. The relevant governing bodies generally have more accurate info than the ASC but will generally only release it on their terms and in a way that makes them look good.

Reply #644950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks PeterJohn.

Those netball numbers can't be right being a one gender sport. They don't make sense.

With the Aussie rules data take away watered down auskick and numbers fall.

As I said football and basketball are no. 1 & 2 team sports.

Reply #644954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul from your comment I take it you suspect the basketball figures are too low/other sports inflated? Wouldn't be surprised.

Reply #644955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And just how do the netball numbers not make sense? netball is the number one sport for girls and it's a team sport , if you look at the gender difference in sports it's probably pretty accurate, whilst some girls do play soccer Aussie rules and cricket the amount is very small compared to the amount of boys who play those sports
Basketball would be the number two sport for girls after netball ( team sports ) and the ratio of boys to girls is only marginally bigger

Reply #644958 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

AFL charts things like school visits and Auskick as participating. They have been falsely pumping their data for years. Just because an AFL player kicked a ball at you at school doesn't mean you play AFL.

On the flip side Basketball has done an absolutely horrible job historically of capturing data. Perhaps it has suffered for being too honest.

Reply #644959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the other area that will show up inaccurate data in overall participation numbers compared to population numbers is in regional areas where kids play multiple sports, most country kids play netball/football in winter and basketball/cricket in summer.

Reply #644960 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

As noted these are numbers based on survey data. Other posters have noted the difficulties of numbers published by individual sporting authorities.

It's worth noting the sample sizes for this survey are good, as population surveys go. Also, the results, if I remember correctly, are consistent with the Australian Bureau of Statistics survey from 2-3 years ago. That suggests they're reliable population estimates.

"With the Aussie rules data take away watered down Auskick and numbers fall." Comparing the total and club sports' participation numbers shows just that difference for each of the sports.

"Those netball numbers can't be right being a one gender sport." The number of girls playing netball is almost the same as the number of boys playing Aussie Rules (324,000 and 320,000 respectively). I think that passes the sniff test.

"Basketball would be the number two sport for girls after netball ( team sports )" I assume you're saying the ASC numbers must be wrong. Those AusPlay numbers have soccer as #2 team sport for girls and basketball #3 (as per above post). FWIW, the respective participant estimates are 135,000 and 111,000, That 24,000 difference is much larger than the survey's margin of error.

An interesting question in my mind is whether there's a nexus between registration procedures and frequency of participation that could lead to multiple counting of participants. e.g., I've had a child competing simultaneously for two different teams/clubs in different "leagues" of the same sport - for one as a junior and another as a senior/open competitor. I've had this happen in team sport and in solo sport. Based on registration IDs, they'd have been counted twice by the sporting authorities concerned. If that phenomenon still exists and occurs materially more often for one sport relative to others, it would inflate participation numbers in a way that the AusPlay and similar surveys would avoid.

Reply #644964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Those netball numbers can't be right being a one gender sport." The number of girls playing netball is almost the same as the number of boys playing Aussie Rules (324,000 and 320,000 respectively). I think that passes the sniff test.

No, because:

AFL charts things like school visits and Auskick as participating. They have been falsely pumping their data for years. Just because an AFL player kicked a ball at you at school doesn't mean you play AFL.

Great summary Dome Rat, was struggling to explain myself but you did a great job of doing it!

Reply #644969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you not count Auskick , a weekly competition for 5 to 8 year olds ??

Reply #645002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Organised programs like Auskick and Aussie Hoops should definitely count. I did the predecessor of Auskick for seven years as a kid, I can tell you I was certainly a participant in Aussie rules.

Reply #645005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the same thing, stop kidding yourselves.

Reply #645033 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If a kid turns up for two hours a week to engage in an organised sporting program, I can't see how they're anything but a participant.

Reply #645067 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

There are really 2 different ways of delivering programs like Auskick and Aussie Hoops.

The AFL fund Auskick programs in schools during school time or after school. The AFL also run Auskick through junior AFL clubs on weekends. 1 method involves kids doing a program at school with no local link to club (weekend) sport. The other involves AFL staff working with a local club's "Super 8s" coach/es. I've been involved in both, and the weekend/Super8s gets kids more involved with playing after the 8 week Auskick program concludes. A lot of kids sign up for a "school" Auskick program, pay the $60 or so and get about the same value in take away freebies (bag, hat etc).

Also if the fee is around $60 most of it goes to insurance. The AFL do really well out of the NAB sponsorship money to pay for coaches and freebies. Local clubs do get a benefit if people identify the club when signing up for a home loan. I don't remember basketball ever having such a sugar daddy to sweeten the deal and get little kids having a go. You can earn a few $ teaching kids the basics in AFL, but there's no money in basketball. Another aspect is the school ambassador programs giving teachers free tickets etc for being the "ambassador". In a rugby league dominated area, the AFL simply put more effort and $ in to developing strategic relationships in schools. This really pays off in raising awareness of a sport, developing both players and consumers/ viewers.

If basketball had a more significant schools program (and registered all participants) then they would be able to claim higher participation rates. Without the $, it would mean club coaches and older juniors coaching little kids in primary school settings. This is getting harder to do with working with children check requirements. This could be a role for lower tier imports, with clubs selecting imports with some form of teaching or coaching background in college.

Reply #645208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about basketball being the #1 sport casually. Kids go to park etc - the sport played is always basketball because the hoop is there just show up with a ball and easy to play in confined area. The sport is bigger than any stats will ever show.

Reply #645210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said, from the LK article:

The game is also strengthening again at the grassroots level. More than a million adults and children play club basketball in Australia, making it the second most popular participation team sport in the country. Basketball is bigger in those terms than AFL or rugby, both of which are constrained by their geographic heartlands. Only soccer is bigger.

Reply #645570 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754