Aussie
Years ago

NBL Blitz this week

Can't wait for this but does anyone know why the games won't be streamed?

Last year was awesome with all games streamed live.

It just seems like a bit of a backward step from the coverage of last year.

Anyone know the reason behind no streaming for this week?

Topic #41743 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

$

Reply #645644 | Report this post

B.O  
Years ago

No streaming is purely dollars, and also a consequence of the NBL improving it's image.

If the NBL was to come out and say "yes, all games will be streamed", there is a standard to which they would want their production to held at.

The cost to do that for the 500-1000 people that may watch all pre-season games is just not worth it.

In seasons past it would be streamed, but now that the league has lifted its standards and production, it won't be done.

Reply #645650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has it been confirmed the games won't be streamed?

Reply #645653 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

nbl.com.au

Reply #645659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given the whole NBA preseason deal, the Blitz doesn't quite have the same cache it did in previous seasons and I think the NBA is obviously more of a focus for the league this year. Last year was all about getting the China market involved (even though the teams they sent were an embarrassment). But still very important to get that exposure for the league, and by all accounts it was outstanding and very professional coverage. This year, it's just the eight teams, it's in country Victoria, it's being paid for by the Victorian government and the additional cost of streaming to an audience of maybe 1500-2000 per game just isn't justified.

If the company that did the streaming last year was involved, I would think for the three days in Traralgon and the four games on the Sunday in different venues they would have quoted somewhere in the 40K-50K range to do it at the standard the league demands now. A reduced potential audience would make sponsorship of streaming a very hard sell and even though you could do it on the cheap, people need to understand LK has very firm ideas on how he wants his product to be perceived.

It's unfortunate no doubt. But as someone above pointed out, it's also the result of what we all want as fans, and that's for the league to be seen in the most professional light at all times, even preseason.

Reply #645666 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Traralgon seems a strange choice to host the majority of games.

Heading to United v Wildcats at Knox on Sunday afternoon.

Reply #646078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic government stumped up $$$ so they went regional.

Reply #646086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assumning ever there was TV lighting available (unlikely) why would you bother. Its pre season and again meaningless.

Reply #646092 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Assumning ever there was TV lighting available (unlikely) why would you bother. Its pre season and again meaningless.

The results are meaningless, the play itself is not.

Reply #646094 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I don't know what TV lighting quality is, but last time I was there years ago, it had better lighting than some of the smaller stadiums used in pre-season streaming recently. IIRC only has seatings for ~1k but it felt nice and new.

Its too late now, but we should've tried crowdfunding ASNTV to try and stream it. I don't know how much could've been raised from the community here alone but combined with social media such as re-tweeting, it might raise enough. Out of interest, how many of you would be interested to support something like that in the future?

Reply #646101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't put money into NBL Blitz even though I'm hardcore NBL. Not worth it, especially since it's in early Sep now not late Sep.

Reply #646108 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754