swish
Years ago

NBL uniforms for 2017/18

Looks like the NBl has gone 4 - 5 years retro with the uniforms this season, very generic. Kings and Tiapans stand out because of their "in your face" prime colour but a lot of sameness / lameness from design teams.

Looks lie a lot of stark white away uniforms too. Pretty disapointing from a game presentation view ( given the old NBL did this years ago and no-one liked it) and unnecessary give that nearly all teams have a viable alterrnate colour in their regular uniform ( except Hawks and Wildcats - both red and black)

Topic #41772 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

a lot of sameness / lameness from design teams.
Seems like this is the result of it shifting back towards one mandated design template for all teams, rather than decisions made by the individual clubs.

Still yet to find a decent balance between letting the clubs do their own thing and preventing teams from making an absolute mess of their designs.

Reply #646456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definite step back.

Same template for all clubs. Would love to know the reasoning.

Clubs had less freedom with the design this season.

Also with only 8 clubs, there shouldn't be double ups of colours.

Adelaide and Brisbane - blue
Hawks and Wildcats - Red
United and Breakers - dark blue/black

It's the one space that the NBL has neglected and it seems to be the easiest one to get right!

Reply #646462 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

League wide template never made sense for me. Hawks uniforms look like training jerseys this year. Having stitched jerseys like the NBA instead of sublimated jerseys would also help lift professionalism.

Reply #646465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eight teams yet reuse of the same colours really does suck.

Reply #646466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Training uniforms at best. Yawn.

Reply #646473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People consider NBL lame, e.g. NBA snobs. Having lame uniforms in 2017 LK era further exercebates the problem. We've got everything else up to scratch but this amateurishness continues. and those sponsor logos in different coloured blocks to the primary colour = NOOOOOO!

I guess LK amongst his hundreds of businesses doesn't have an apparel company...

Reply #646475 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They've made the NBL logo stupidly big

Reply #646478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The large NBL shoulder logo has made everything worse.

It's fkd up the alignment of the bumper sticker logo and then team logo.

Horrible decision.

Mitchell and Ness was supposed to make things better. Not worse.

Reply #646484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember this @Koberulz?

"Teams are not designing their own uniforms.
If they were, why do they all look so similar?"

"The only way that comment makes sense is if you've just woken up from a five-year coma and haven't seen any of the designs that were used while you were out."

Reply #646486 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Mitchell and Ness was supposed to make things better. Not worse.
Mitchell & Ness aren't designing them. Nor were ISC.

Remember this @Koberulz?
Yes, and things have obviously changed for this coming season now that we've seen all the uniforms. They've all looked completely different the past few years.

Reply #646487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why try and make out someone else didn't know what they were talking about?

Oh because they don't have a "handle" they couldn't know more than you?

Reply #646490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Busted. Again.

Reply #646493 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The claim that started the discussion in the first place was that M&N were a failure for their jersey designs thus far. Clubs were in charge of designs last year, and it seems the league is in charge this year, so blaming M&N is wrong regardless.

Clubs have been in charge since ISC's first year, IIRC, which was publicised at the time. Nothing was said publicly about designs after that until Illawarra's unveiling this year, which occurred after the discussion had started. There was no reason to believe M&N were designing anything.

So my information was six months out of date. Sue me.

Reply #646511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, but you write with 100% certainty on things you are just speculating on. Stop doing that, it's why people don't like you.

Reply #646513 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If I'm writing with 100% certainty it's because I have reason to.

Reply #646515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand what the fans want, when was the last time people were happy with the quality/designs of the NBL uniforms?

The NBL has to used sublimated uniforms due to the number of sponsor logos on the singlets and shorts if they used NBA style patches the jerseys will be heavy and not ideal to play in.

Reply #646528 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

LK thinks NBA are the model the NBL should follow. NBA generally has fairly plain uniforms, large bold team name / nick name across the chest and no sponsors logo's or bumper stickers

We can understand the NBL clubs need the cash from sponsors and so will sell the front of their uniform ( as many Premier League soccer teams do)but sometimes is just clutters the uniform.

It probably costs about $1200 to outfit a team in a uniform, surely they can create some options.
Can't be that hard to have some variety in font and side panels on singlets and shorts though.

Reply #646529 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

My thoughts on uniform sponsors is none of this huge sponsor on the front business. I think you gotta go NBL Logo and small sponsor logo on the shoulders and then the team logo and number gets the rest of the space.

On the back go with one small to medium sponsor logo beneath the number. On the shorts go one or two small logos. The teams are supposed to be the main brand.

Reply #646530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less is more when it comes to sponsor logos.

They are necessary, but they are executed poorly.

No effort is made to integrate them into the jersey (although the hawks did try last season).

They are just placed on like bumper stickers with no thought given to branding or design. That's where the error is.

Reply #646531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol Stitched jerseys are in the past. Everything is sublimated even the NBA jerseys are sublimated now.They have been for years.

Reply #646532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA jerseys are what now?

Reply #646533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with sublimation. It's the design and branding that is the issue.

Reply #646538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. And how are we still stuck with the bumper sticker problem? Very poor.

Reply #646546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If I'm writing with 100% certainty it's because I have reason to."

You'll never learn.

Reply #646550 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

It's all a money making exercise (which I don't like but can understand). I just wish they'd keep the same jerseys from one season to the next with maybe just a small tweak. NBA teams keep the same for decades (lakers, celtics) but as I said, money making.
Cats jerseys last year were my favourite for a long time (city skyline was great) would have loved that back this year with just a different colour number.

Reply #646568 | Report this post

36Boggers  
Years ago

Yes, each club this year was given limited design input, and had to follow the NBL rule of the Template design.

Reply #646571 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

2013-2015 Ennis/Daniels years Wildcats Kit were the recent best for me..

Reply #646572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although this year's jerseys at butt cheeks, all it would take is a slight adjustment to logo sizes and placements to make the uniforms much more palpitate.

Besides the NBA, most pro leagues don't have great uniforms either. They also suffer from bumper sticker mania. That said, it shouldn't be an excuse for laziness.

Reply #646573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't remember the last good NBL jersey.

90s jerseys were so much better than what we have now. Putrid.

Reply #646575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nba jerseys with sponsors looking good, especially Buck's and Harley Davidson, but they're paying ten's of millions for a bit bigger than postage stamp.
Problem for sponsors they have their own brand and design to make them stand out, if it's incorporated into Jersey design then no-one will notice.

Reply #646576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR is writing with 100% certainty that he is a wanker.

Reply #646585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are the dickheads that keep bagging him.

Reply #646586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks KR's mom. Clearly he gets it from you.

Reply #646588 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I really like the camo design from the wildcats last year that they wore for 2 or 3 games, it was pleasant to look at and the number issue was fixed, it also gave hope that we would see everyone else come up with some unique and fantastic designs.

Reply #646594 | Report this post

KR's Dad  
Years ago

Agree though, for every comment that KR posts that gets under someone's skin, there are always a couple of dickheads willing to jump on which is bad for the rest of us...

Reply #646598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully heritage round is actually the entire month of January this season. Which means better uniforms for at least four-five rounds... hopefully.

Reply #646608 | Report this post

Kings Fan1  
Years ago

Big fan of the heritage round uniforms!

Reply #646648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Link to heritage round jerseys for 2017-18?

Reply #646713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

went to check out the new Wildcats Uniforms and they are $110 on their webshop but other retailers like Kickz101 in Perth has them at $85. Are the Wildcats taking the piss?

Reply #648064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have and continue to.

Not long ago they didn't allow third party retailers like kikz101 to stock their merchandise until LK cleaned up that joke of a concept.

Reply #648071 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cost more than a NBA kit

Reply #648336 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754