Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats now have 10,616 members

Leading the way again in Perth, the Wildcats are aiming for 12,000 members this season.

Sadly, its the reason WA will never get a preseason blitz or all-star game.

With this many regulars, hopefully the RedArmy recaptures it's glory days of games at Challenge Stadium. That intimate crowd of 5,000 was always more fun then the arena games.

Topic #41787 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Challenge was better for atmosphere even though it was a dive.

PEC also was better, too bad that couldn't be renovated to up the capacity from 8K. They tear it down and build the ugliest building ever.

Ah well.

Reply #646855 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Well done Wildcats.

Anyone have any idea how other clubs are going?

Reply #646858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This can't be true. An anonymous person here said that it was a sinking ship and thats why Nick marvin left. There is no way that anon was talking shit!

Reply #646860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United have apparently nearly sold out their silver reserve section for members. Not sure how many seats that is? Anyone know?

Reply #646861 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Well done to Wildcats again. They definitely se the standard in the NBL as far as "how to run an elite sporting club".
They have had huge benefit of strong financial backing for a long time and playing in a new city based venue in recent years has given them a great profile and credibilty.
Last season they showed again that they wil do what ever it takes to win and we all know that everyone loves a winner ( except the rest of the competition)
Having said that I reckon if 36ers played out of a new stadium at Memorial Drive ( for example) they would probably find it much easier to get 8k to 10k members too.

Reply #646862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers should play at the AEC. Capacity for basketball is around 9,000-9,500.

Reply #646863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's as simple as "better stadium location in the CBD = more people".

I think a lot of credit has to go to the grass roots work, the community programs players must do as part of their contracts, as well as the game night presentation and effort to target families and market wholesome entertainment.

From a corporate sponsorship side they've also done very well to make the brand seem like an exclusive club for those in the know.

While I don't agree with all their execution, they have built a solid empire both on and off the court.

Reply #646864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United were at 5,000 members a month ago. Anyone know other clubs?

Reply #646865 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"While I don't agree with all their execution, they have built a solid empire both on and off the court."

Just out of interest, what part of their execution do you disagree with?

Reply #646868 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne almost sold out the lower bowl of Hisence Arena with memberships. Brisbane has a target of 2000, same as last season but prices have risen so might be tough.

Very well done to Perth, seems like the traditional AFL markets in Perth and Melbourne have a 'membership culture' unlike traditional NRL territories like Brisbane and Sydney which prefer walk up tickets.

Reply #646869 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Very well done to Perth, seems like the traditional AFL markets in Perth and Melbourne have a 'membership culture' unlike traditional NRL territories like Brisbane and Sydney which prefer walk up tickets.

Not sure if it's as much a culture as it is necessity if you want to watch Eagles games!

New stadium next year should give it a true reflection of membership demand though.

Reply #646870 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Side note: went on the Wildcats website and they seem to be the only club that hasn't updated to the new NBL website template.

Reply #646872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just out of interest, what part of their execution do you disagree with?"

For me -

Poor quality/designed fan gear, much of which is over priced jerseys.

Membership prices which are backed by "fluffy" value adds. Personal gripe is getting a free polo with my captains club membership, but not being able to swap it for something else like a jersey.

Insisting on playing music on every Wildcat offensive possession followed by some form of defence chant every time. And then there is the actual playlist which needs to be updated.

Nova suit men.

Dunk team - it's great, no other team has one, but the kids lack a little attitude. Clearly gymnists.

Marching band needs better/cooler uniforms. They just wear black pants and red t-shirts. Looks cheap. But at the same time, what other club has a marching band on pay roll.

The dancers - over using the "haka" dance. Dressing them too conservatively and limiting their gyrations. I agree there is a line when it comes to this sort of thing, but they star as far away from it as possible.

Reply #646874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ I second that.

Reply #646875 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I can't comment on all the other items as I have never seen them, perhaps glimpses only on NBL TV.

But the Dancers, I can only guess they are marketing themselves as a family club / event, and having tight shorts and plunging necklines may rub some the wrong way.

Reply #646877 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Melbourne United were at 5,000 members a month ago. Anyone know other clubs?"

I don't think you are right there.

They set a GOAL to reach 5k but I don't think they are anywhere near there yet.

Can anyone confirm?

How about Sydney?

Reply #646878 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

"Side note: went on the Wildcats website and they seem to be the only club that hasn't updated to the new NBL website template."

Good, I hope they keep it that way. The new design takes twice as long to load and is less user friendly IMO

Reply #646879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Aussie Melb Utd said last month they were just under 5,000. Maybe if you think that is wrong you should tell them that... LOL

Reply #646880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats being at 10616 members could all be three game memberships. Therefore not that impressive. You don't have the full extent of the stats and yes I do understand that could be the same deal for other clubs. And yes AFL clubs do this to boost their stats as well

Reply #646881 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"@Aussie Melb Utd said last month they were just under 5,000. Maybe if you think that is wrong you should tell them that... LOL"

Oh ok, my mistake mate.

That is good to hear. Hopefully they get over 5k before the season starts

Reply #646883 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wildcats being at 10616 members could all be three game memberships.
None of them are three-game memberships.

Good, I hope they keep it that way. The new design takes twice as long to load and is less user friendly IMO
The old design is literally impossible to navigate on mobile because the menus are inaccessible.

Reply #646884 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Have always hated Perth, BUT I love the fact they have such a large fan base and keep the league alive. I love there's a team or two that when they come to town it feels like a grudge match. I hope their memberships keep growing.

@koberulz
Agreed. Tried checking out the NBL website schedule from my phone today, was incredibly frustrating, could only imagine how difficult it would be to use for a less tech savvy person just wanting to check out the NBL.

@aussie
A Melbourne native myself. From day to day conversations I'd struggle to believe there's much interest in many more memberships, particularly with A-League being a more exciting option for most being played on the other side of the street.

Reply #646886 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"@aussie
A Melbourne native myself. From day to day conversations I'd struggle to believe there's much interest in many more memberships, particularly with A-League being a more exciting option for most being played on the other side of the street."

Makes you wonder how many schools and Associations they are visiting.

I thought basketball was huge amongst kids in Melbourne?

Perhaps more just prefer the NBA?

Reply #646888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah check out the single game tickets now, lower bowl all classed as diamond and at captains club price. Must be 90% members there to change the pricing structure like that.

Reply #646890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah members all in lower bowl.

Reply #646891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"None of them [10,616] are three-game memberships."

Source?

Reply #646892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They only offer 7 game or full season memberships on their website

Reply #646894 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Even the seven-game memberships aren't available in a couple of sections.

They do have a handful of non-seated options, though - infant and pet memberships and the like.

Reply #646911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha the pet memberships, forgot about those. Got to work every angle to boost numbers.

Reply #646917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz please cite source

Reply #646922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the update Dazz

Reply #646960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz and KR, who cares, Schmucks

Reply #646962 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thought it was a case of different teams offer different membership structures and prices and Perth don't do 3 games but United have done the 3 for a while.

I'm not sure if other clubs have those or not.

Adelaide are sponsored by a nursing home, they aren't including those people in the homes as members (I think I read 200) that certainly helps with numbers if they did.

As for Brisbane wanting 2000 but charging more than last season, what's others opinions, is this a wise move if you are trying to sell the club? Cheap memberships with lots going sounds more appealing than the exclusivity of being a bullets member to potential buyers.

Well done to my Wildcats and I like Perth Arena, I just wish we could be more on top of the court than we are as it feels so far back and I'm in gold seating and you can clearly see space that should be filled with seats

Reply #646966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth do small memberships too, just not at the start of the season. They will start introducing smaller and smaller ones towards the end of the season. Didn't they do a 1 game membership at the end of last season?

Reply #646970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They do a one game membership so you can get the renewing members prices for the following season. That probably explains some of the surge in members at this point of the pre-season.

Reply #646998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One game memberships? Well then let's call all walk ups to one game a season members too!

Reply #647017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're a country member.

Reply #647018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mum and brother got a 3 game membership again this year, so I'm sure those numbers are a little bloated

Reply #647021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see for the game. Even if they are three game membership it's better then nothing. The same things happen in the AFL as well.

Reply #647749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754