THE BEAR
Years ago

Chelsea gulls

Does anyone know what's happening out chelsea way.D1W PREMIERS,LOOKING AT GOING HIGHER,AND THE COACH LEAVES JUST DAYS AFTER PREMIERSHIP.

STRANGE GOING ONS

Topic #41804 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Not all was happy behind the scenes from many reports.

Reply #647259 | Report this post

THE BEAR  
Years ago

So are the top class ladies staying or going.they were hopeful of State champ level,but that appears to be off the table?

Reply #647262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets see how long it takes for someone to come out and bag the coach

Reply #647264 | Report this post

THE BEAR  
Years ago

Didn't overuse hie bench personnel.they are still pulling the splinters out

Reply #647266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach did a great job! Most of the players he recruited will leave if he is not coaching.

If there were bench player complaining, poor form on the club to not back the coach!

Reply #647271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hands down one of the best coaches I have played for. There is a reason he was been so successful.

Reply #647272 | Report this post

Q  
Years ago

Why was the men's coaching position not advertised?

Reply #647274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

win championship, complain about court time. That's character right there (sarcasm)

Reply #647298 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

Um if you win a championship you CAN NOT claim that the coach got it wrong with minutes.

I'd say that minutes were about right. Sometimes people just don't like it.

Winning the championship should be the ultimate achievement in basketball.

I feel for the coach

Reply #647311 | Report this post

THE BEAR  
Years ago

The men's team went down in grand final in3.not bad with average list apart from a couple of standouts.

With a little bit of movement,possible champions.
Why not stick with the current coach

Reply #647319 | Report this post

Truth  
Years ago

'THE BEAR' I think the point is why not stick with a coach that WON the championship?

Plus the Mens team had the best player in the league in Cory. That guy is amazingly good.

Reply #647320 | Report this post

THE BEAR  
Years ago

Hey,don't get excited.i didn't have anything to do with it,but,it appears he know he was out the door even before the title was won.it is a strange one,as that was a very good team,GOING PLACES.obviously,it has hit the fan.

Yes,Cory is the best player in D1M,but,I'm sure you understand one player cannot win you a title.take him out of that team and they would more than struggle.

Reply #647335 | Report this post

Hmmm  
Years ago

Regarding comment above about not using the bench. Just had a look at their seasons stats. Seems even the 10th player on the list averaged 13 plus minutes. Surely you can't complain about that at D1 level and winning a title ?

Even the two stars in Lucas and Jackson only played 30 per game.

Reply #647347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the exact same thing that happened at Casey in their Youth Mens? Is that another championship coach out the door too? They announced tryouts today with a different coach.

Those south-east suburbs clubs keep doing this?!

Reply #647377 | Report this post

Huh  
Years ago

Pretty sure that's three straight years Championshio coaches out the door at the Gulls

On a roll.

Reply #647392 | Report this post

Rex  
Years ago

WOW. Must be people lining up to go coach there now...

#1 KPI for new women's coach- keep all players feeling warm and fuzzy and don't put perform the men's team.

Reply #647395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This surely is a joke, sacking 3 coaches after winning BIG V Championships?

What more could a club ask for?

Reply #647396 | Report this post

Qean  
Years ago

Wrong

Reply #647406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After reading the post by 'Hmmm' I had a lot ok at the spread of minutes. I must say it is rare to see such an even spread of minutes across so many players in a championship team. Wouldn't have been easy for the coach to juggle that and keep them competitive. Well done!

Reply #647408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The decision not to reappoint the coach had nothing to do with minutes.

Reply #647409 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking to people at the club it had nothing to do with minutes and previous coach in 2015 had to move interstate otherwise would have still been coaching. As for men's I am good mates with a player there and he mentioned that all players loved the club and coach and would all be returning in 2018. Saying that Standerfer & Brasser are the Men's team as all teams rely on a couple of bug guns.

Reply #647411 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Probably should read Big Guns! But yes your right on the mark!

Reply #647413 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Seems it's another case for a coach of keeping your main group and rotation happy enough so that you’re successful and win games. While at the same time keeping the last 3/4 happy enough so that they don’t cause you issues.

Speaking to players and people at the club his biggest issue was not cleaning out at the end of last year and getting rid of the dead wood, should have brought up youth players into those spots.

Reply #647414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chelsea will be red faced if the women's coach wins COTY tonight. Good chance

Reply #647444 | Report this post

gelder  
Years ago

Just WOW, what happened to his assistant who brought Jackson with him and others? Did an issue with a junior coach go south too? Youth Womens coach moved on during year. Was he weilding too much power as he was assisting U12 Girls coach who also took over youth womens. Was this percieved as a threat to the DOC?
Or is it that they are embarassed that Womens program has shot past the Mens at a million miles an hour or that they don't want to spend the money on the womens program because they will need every cent to put into Mens to get a couple of more Imports once their import is naturalised so they can have a shot at getting to SCM?
Personally i thought he was alright, junior/youth girls could train with his team so my belief was that he was there to win AND develope the youth for the future, but you cant have youth who at best have played only Met 4 in jumiors moving up against D1 Women. Let them develope. gain experience in Youth for an extra season.

Reply #647469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon now, I'm sure the management at Chelsea have done their due diligence and thoroughly thought this through....to get rid of a championship coach, coaches juniors, even helps out in the canteen. Think they also realise that the guy was a foundation member of their bigv program, been at the club since 2001 or so, came back after elsewhere and dived right in to being involved with everything. Surely they gave him a chance to talk about the seasons with the board about their decision to back a few end of bench players that weren't up to the growing standards and achievements.

Surely?

Hope the players involved step in and pick up the slack around the club that will be there now??

I need a sarcasm font.

Reply #647474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it even the case he was sacked?
I've heard that he's not back as he's after a college coaching role somewhere.

Reply #647477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did Standerfer win coach of the year for the men or just MVP?

Reply #647481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting

Reply #647567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is hilarious
If you seriously think chelsea would sack a coach for not giving players court time then I don't know what basketball world you are watching!
It's not my story to tell but the true reason to why the coach was sacked after the championship game will eventually come out and it will mind blow you as to how a coach can act like that!
90% of the team will not play under him again even though the championship was won! And in all seriousness... they wouldn't have been there if Geelong and Werribee were at full strength!!!! I hear it was one thing after another from the start of the season!!
If you knew the reason to why the coach was sacked you will 100% agree with the club and their actions to step him
Good luck to the ladies and their new coach! Hopefully he's mature and professional

Reply #647575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell us what it was.

Reply #647609 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

A number of Players, club officials and the coaching staff were not on the same page with future direction. All parties have agreed to go in seperate ways to pursue other opportunities.

Reply #647611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That means nothing. What really happened?

Reply #647617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey you sure he was sacked. He was at the Big V Presentation Night.

Reply #647646 | Report this post

THE BEAR  
Years ago

So the family club has fallen apart.what happened to his very good assistant,left mid season,strange goings on all round

Reply #648017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Families still playing and one person does not mean the end, grow up! All women or most anyway want to come back apparently as they appoint the new coach

Reply #648253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Billie Lucas looking to sign elsewhere in Division 1. Who would take her/need her?

Reply #648256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Inappropriate.)

Reply #648275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In speaking to someone close to the club all is well, a couple of unhappy campers still feeling the need to cause issues and stir trouble. maybe find something else to occupy your time people, my kid is heading down to try outs there so if the same people run the club there then I'm happy, growing every season must mean all is going well. Coaches come and go, move on I reckon!

Reply #648430 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754