Anonymous
Years ago

NH: The 2017 AFL Grand Final Thread

So, it's the Crows vs the Tigers. Any tips?

Cotchin has been cleared to play, which I think is a decision influenced by the magnitude of the game.

Topic #41816 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Richmond by 20

Reply #647509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide by 8.

Reply #647511 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cotchin & Ellis both super-lucky to be there.

Seems to be the Tigers' year of destiny. I'll say Tigers by 29. I don't think Richmond are that much better, but GFs are rarely close.

I'm an Adelaide fan this week though. Carn the Crows!!

Reply #647512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon it was a soft decision by the panel let Cotchin go. But the AFL is probably the most subjective game in the world so there will always be a way to make an argument for any decision.

Reply #647540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Richmond don't win all the individual awards then fail to win the flag like the Sixers did last season

Reply #647565 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The flag is the Crows to lose.

Richmond rely too much on Dustbin Martin. The big three of Martin, Conchin and Houli create the run and opportunities, but then the team drops away.

Adelaide are more fluid in their movement, and protect the ball more in defence. The Crouch brothers and the Rories are quiet achievers, and will prove the difference between the teams.

Looking forward to a high scoring game. Would be great to see a goal fest

Reply #647580 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I must admit, it's great to see all the Tiger supporters come out of the woodwork. One thing I didn't realise is that they seem to be Collingwood supporters, but with slightly better dental hygiene.

Reply #647581 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@jack toft... did you honestly put houli in Richmonds big3? Please stick to basketball thankyou

Reply #647583 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

@Benno, I couldn't think of a third best player.......had to name someone

Reply #647586 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

As a Cats fan I have seen both teams towel us up, so I think this grand final will be close. Overall I think the Crows may have more talent and scoring, but the Tigers have the class defender in Rance and will have a big home field advantage.

If the Crows can handle that massive pressure that the Tiger's crowd brings, maybe stay with them and even be in front going into the final quarter, they can get up.

The Crows small forwards and Sloan in the middle will be a key, I think we could even have a draw, but can't pick a winner.

Go Storm!

Reply #647599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gotta be the Tigers by 17

Reply #647753 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Been a long time for these teams in a grand final and none of the players have ever played in a grand final , so , I find it pretty good.
Kinda think Daniel Rioli will kick the most goals...

Reply #647780 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I read it was the first time since 1898 that no player from either team has ever played in a grand final before.

Richmond 35 years since, Crows 19 years since.

Reply #647783 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice start from Hugh
Go Crows!
#RedArmy

Reply #648122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man, sports teams from Adelaide are really good at choking on the big stage.

Reply #648128 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thought the big question would be, could the Crows handle the big time pressure the Tiggers will bring, along with this massive home crowd advantage'?

That question was answered too early in this game, what a shame it was never a contest after half time!

That said, I think the result would have been very different if the Crows play this game in Adelaide, however the MCG is where it is at, well done the boooooos...

They bloody boo everything these low IQ mob, don't they!!?

LOL

Reply #648129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams that play for one another beat teams of individuals, well done tigers. Ex basketballers Jenkins and Greenwood were non existent.

Reply #648142 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Rance was not made accountable, Martin wasn't tagged and too much was left to too few as far as the Crows were concerned, but the Tigers tackled well and really outnumbered the Crows at the contest after quester time, great team effort really.

Reply #648145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sucks to be from South Australia

Reply #648155 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Man up Crowsooks. You were disgraceful & need to own it.

Reply #648172 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Just one last thing on this topic, goes towards all sports and how a team gets to that highest point in such a tough and competitive competition.

The character of those people behind the scenes, the culture of a club and the astute selections, strategies, and cooperative sacrifices made by key people along with the players buying into the whole system makes all the difference.

Yes, the Crows couldn't stand up to the pressure on the day, correct, but I will point to one person employed by Richmond FC that just straightens things up from the football department, who I believe those in the know actually respect in the highest regard.

Neil Balme, this guy came to Geelong FC and made key changes in the club's culture and whole football department, along with other key decisions to select the right players and put the pieces together, he was the missing element for the Tigers.

Balmey will go down as the unsung guy behind the scenes, trust me when I say his appointment was the difference, everything else fell into place after he got to the club IMHO...

Same will go for the NBL this season, look towards the best organisation, on and off the court to win it this season, not just the best team on paper!

Reply #648186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL has just spent the last 10 years proving that the path to victory as a front office is to throw fairness out the window and ignore every rule that is intended to maintain an even playing field across the league. I'm not sure why this season would suddenly be any different. You can argue about how professional the AFL is and how fair it is that it is Melbourne centric but at least the rules there are actually enforced for all teams.

Reply #648193 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It was Sloan vs Richmond. Had no help

Reply #648308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacobs in the ruck was by far crows best player.

Reply #648354 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Good comment, Bear. Carlton and Melbourne played that infamaous 'TANKS for the memories' game circa 2006 and look where that attitude has (not) taken them - last year Carlton played a game or two wherby they fielded four #1 picks & two #2 picks!

Wasn't Balme at Collingwood too at the start of this decade when they played Grand Finals?

I sometimes wonder if some of the other NBL clubs have even noticed that Wildcats & Breakers are two teams who play with hustle and roll around on the floorboards for loose ball.

Reply #648356 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Crows were definitely outsmarted on the day.

Australian Football is an "offensive" game. It is basically first to 100, or who can score the most. It's not like soccer, which is a "defensive" game.

In a game of AFL, about 200 points are scored per game. The Tigers scored 108 points, Crows a woeful 60. During the minor rounds the Tigers average score was 90.5 to 76.5. Crows, 109.8 to 80.7.

The Tigers scored 119% of their average score, whereas the Crows scored a mere 55% of their average score. I think that speaks volumes of the defensive pressure placed upon Adelaide by the Tigers on the day.

Some of the things that stood out for me was the performance of #1, Nick Vlastuin. I thought he dominated the defence and got a lot of ball possession off the Crows. Betts, Jenkins and Ottens were non-existent on the day.

The other area I thought the Crows were outsmarted was in the ruck. Adelaide won the hitouts 55 to 28, but there were a lot of times in the Tigers offensive 50 where the Crows ruckman was the only man up. That gave the Tigers an extra man on the ground and as a result they were able to steal possession.

Forget about the free kicks. 19 to 24, but the significant stat was 2 frees inside the forward 50 for the Crows, 6 to the Tigers. Yes, Betts was held, but at the end of the day, good teams get over it. Poor, biased umpiring is to be expected in the VFL, so don't let it bother you.

Reply #648364 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@AshT ,well on Carlton I think their problems started more recently when they sacked a decent coach Brett Ratten for a short cut to glory by then chasing Malthouse who cam in from arch enemy Collingwood as an abject failure.

They have been rebuilding since then, oh and the sanctions placed on that club by the AFL for indiscretions too.

I agree that if you take a hard look at Perth and NZ Breakers you will also find very good assistant coaches and people behind the scenes, not just a great head coach.

I believe one of the best moves this season will be justified when Melbourne United win the title, that will be vindicated by the hiring of Vickerman, just my humble opinion. Also, a big improvement by Cairns where O'Loughlin reuniting with Jawai may prove a master stroke and Perth's loss...

@Jack, I want to ask you (and any other SA footy fans in the know), how did the Crows let their junior champion Jack Graham go to the Tigers, what the hell were the selectors thinking in that draft not picking him up as a local boy?

Don't dare tell me they didn't know how good he was and is going to be!

Reply #648437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will they repeat or copy the dogs

Reply #648448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:21 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754