Anonymous
Years ago

U14 Nationals

Any results or stand outs from the games so far ?

Topic #41853 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?client=1-4101-0-462162-0&pool=5&action=ROUND&round=-1

Reply #648311 | Report this post

Years ago

see some teams have 11 or 12 - be interested in peoples thoughts - i think it is good given the workload for them as long as the players and families understand playing time conditions.

Reply #648361 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

I think you'll find those teams with 11-12 have either brought in bottom age players to get exposure for next year or have been hit with injuries.

Reply #648366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few girls and boys missing from there teams. Only 9 players on the roster.

Really talented boy from Rockingham and a takented girl from Forestville.

Reply #648446 | Report this post

Years ago

well done to the clubs that are streaming games

Reply #648478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's streaming?

Reply #648483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Define talented. Does that mean, they shoot it every time they catch it?

Reply #648487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno. who you referring?

Reply #648489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern tigers streaming. Not sure who else..

Reply #648500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's looking like it could be a Bulleen vs Dandenong final in both boys and girls.

Reply #648578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that's possible in the boys? They will meet in the semi?

Reply #648584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys Semis
Dandenong vs Sydney
Eltham vs Hawthorn

Girls Semis
Dandenong vs Gold Coast
Eltham vs Bulleen

Credit to the Dandenong and Eltham associations for making both semis.

Reply #648799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This looks like a slightly higher standard than the last couple - has anyone been at a few in a row to comment?

Reply #649003 | Report this post

Years ago

so to clarify -

SA teams in girls -

Sturt playing off for 5-8 place

Fville for 13-16th

Tigers 17-20th

?

and boys

Norwood, sturt and north 5-8 ?

Reply #649029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sa basketball dropping fast?

Reply #649030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above poster. Seems ok to me? What are you comparing it to?

Reply #649031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The standard of vic.

Reply #649037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$15 bucks for entry to watch u14s basketball is a nice rip off.

Reply #649039 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

where are 2018 u14s - announced yet ?

Reply #649045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers vs Forestville for 15/16 tomorrow.

Reply #649050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong vs Bulleen girls final.

Without a doubt the 2 best teams in Aus in this age group.

Reply #649051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney vs eltham final in the boys.

Sydney back to back I reckon.

Reply #649080 | Report this post

ball  
Years ago

the near perfect season for dandy iin the boys but but
1st in the VC comp
1st in the classic
3rd most likely in nationals
easily the best club at their age group in Vic
followed by Eltham imo
2nd in VC
3rd in the classic
1st/2nd at nationals lets not take away how good they have been this year to

Reply #649096 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

North Adelaide v Bulleen for 5/6 spot.

Norwood playing.... off for 7/8 spot.

Wouldn't be saying the standard is dropping off at all. Two SA boys team in top 8. Also, please factor in the amount of invites each state gets...

Also in reference to 2018 u14 team, if you mean those who will go to nationals that won't come out until may after state champs.

If referring to southern cross state teams they trial for u14 & u15 teams in late October and play in Jan.

Reply #649149 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why do teams that finish 13/14th get medals when there are 9 other teamswho have worked harder to finish where they did and above them that get nothing but a place in top 12.
This is rediculas.

Reply #649350 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

It's just life these days anon. Can't have the also rans getting hurt feelings now can we? Won't be long before everyone gets a medal
Don't get me started on the times I've seen clubs trumpeting their "success"in the "Shield finals"

Reply #649361 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yes duke Fan,agree with the trumpeting that goes on about a mid ladder finish.
I am at an Association who won the Shield Division one year and the way parents carried on you would have thought they won the world championships.
They reckon their child was the best.

Reply #649363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So propose something better. It's pretty tough if you've got two top-4 teams in your initial pool, to spend the week playing for a spot no higher than 13th. In fact, it's pretty rare that the team that finishes 13th wouldn't have been very competitive in the 9-12 bracket. I'd be all in favour of the shield being an all-or-nothing proposition: you get a gold medal for 13th but no silver, bronze for 14th, 15th. It is overdone, and the clubs or parents claiming it's a national championship gold medal I think are failing to respect its value and purpose. But until it's set up so that going 6-2 with your only two losses coming to top 4 sides gets you better than 13th, I think having something to play for in the bottom half is worthwhile.

Reply #649370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't give rubbish awards for the 16s or 18s. Why do we need a new system? Just use that one.

Reply #649376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I said "propose something better," which you haven't done at all. 16s and 18s are 14-team tournaments that play two pools of 7 and then crossover quarter finals. To win the damn thing, you only have to finish 4th in your pool. The absolute worst-case scenario for an u16 team capable of finishing 5th is that they get the 4 best teams in their pool and finish 9th. If you're good enough to win a medal at 16s, you are guaranteed a chance to play games to prove it. That's not true at 14s. For 16s/18s, at least two thirds of the games they play are in competition for 1st overall. For the 14s, it is one quarter.

An u14 team capable of finishing 3rd could get the two best teams in their pool and finish 13th. So no, you don't need an award for the team that comes 9th in 16s/18s. They had plenty of opportunities to finish higher than that. For a bunch of 12 and 13 year olds at their first national tournament, maybe parents who want to whinge about medals for 13th are just as much a problem as parents who think coming 13th makes their kid some sort of superstar. I don't like the system. I don't have a better alternative. You haven't presented one, either.

Reply #649385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is winning a national 16s/18s coming from 4th in their pool. If you're not good enough to finish top 2 there, you're not winning it either. The 'opportunity' to get demolished by a Vic Metro in the cross over 1 v 4 only gives you the illusion that you're a chance to win a medal.

We don't need medals for 13th and 14th at a nationals level. Its ok to not be the best. I don't understand the need to reward mediocrity.

The teams that were unlucky to have Eltham and Sydney in the boys pool this year weren't good enough to beat the best teams in their state to get into a better pool. They were massive underdogs coming into the competition, just like every team from every non Victorian state that squeaks into the club nationals.

Reply #649395 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Why does there have to be something better? Kids need to learn that sometimes no matter how hard you try your team isn't good enough. What's wrong with getting half way through the week and knowing that, then teaching the lesson that you go out each game, exchange gifts with the opposition, play as hard as you can then shake hands after the game no matter what the result. Learn what you can, make some mates, then go home proud knowing that you made it to Club Nationals, did your best, finished 13th (or wherever)

Reply #649414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754