Aussie
Years ago

Aussie bigs need to add 3pt shot to their game

The way the game is going globally, I believe it's an absolute must, that Australian bigs add a 3 point shot to their game.

Does anyone know if players like Isaac Humphries, Matt Hodgson, AJ Ogilvy, Angus Brandt, Jock Landale etc are working on this area of their games?

Especially those who have an NBA dream. To have a chance, they have to be able to knock down the trey, along with their low post skills.

Are our junior bigs being taught this, in their teens? (IE At ADC camps)

Topic #41863 | Report this topic

Blow-By  
Years ago

"The way the game is going globally, I believe it's an absolute must, that Australian bigs add a 3 point shot to their game".

This is a fun thing to entertain but I dont see it as an absolute must.

Have you ever hear of Andrew Bogut? Or Aron Baynes? These skilled traditional big types are a great combination to have on the floor with a stretch type that you are talking about.

Reply #648538 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It is something that has had more emphasis over recent years, yes.

Some bigs are of course better than others, natural shooters that is, but what you are asking is happening at COE and college level.

Reply #648540 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

"Have you ever hear of Andrew Bogut? Or Aron Baynes? These skilled traditional big types are a great combination to have on the floor with a stretch type that you are talking about."

True but Bogut is by far the most athletic big we have ever produced. Length, rim protecter, awesome passer.

Baynes is an absolute unit. No other Australian big is built like him (the big banger) plus he is pretty athletic.

These two are pretty rare.

A lot of 7 footers can hit a 3 these days. Without the 3 ball, people are much less likely to sign you to an NBA contract.

Reply #648542 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

Aussie.... Bla, Bla, Bla- your post had no point and was just stating the obvious

Reply #648544 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Thanks champ. Well done

Reply #648545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie is a respected poster.
Grapevine is a troll

Reply #648551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussie is a respected poster.....bahahahahahahaha

Reply #648564 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hoops is a much more fun place when you imagine every anonymous poster is the same dude, with schizophrenia.

Reply #648565 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

AJ hit 2 3's in a row against Brisbane last week.

Reply #648570 | Report this post

Grape Vine  
Years ago

Sorry Anon- but if you read Aussies' post you will see what I am talking about... This post is about Aussie stating 'it is an absolute must' for the bigs to hit 3's.... I'm not trolling when I say 'no it isnt a must' and then go on to say that two of the most successfull bigs to come out of the country arent perimiter threats...

Reply #648625 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Quit it with the barrage of personal insults. Let's talk about basketball.

It has been an increasingly popular thing for bigs to be able to step outside and shoot 3s, for some time. It was part of Axel Dench's game, for example, for the Hawks back in 2001. On the other hand, lots of coaches love having their bigs in the paint, collecting boards, and working in the post.

Range is definitely a bonus for ALL 'ballers, however, and I find it interesting that not many guys are prepared to shoot the ball from about 15 - 20 feet; this increasingly being the case since the introduction of the 3pt line. Witness how effective shooting consistently from that range has been for guys like Randle and Trice, and more particularly, Knight, in last season's final series.

Reply #648638 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Sorry Aussie, I have to disagree a bit there. Its a desirable skillset but not an absolute must. For a 5 in the modern NBA, strength, speed, wingspan, athleticism, offensive rebounding, offensive efficiency and passing skills would still be valued more than 3pt.

For an NBA 4, its looking likely that you must have some range offensively but still depends on your offensive schemes.

Reply #648695 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754