Isaac
Years ago

Will Magnay signs 3 year deal with Bullets

Anyone know much about this guy?

Topic #41873 | Report this topic

Bear  
Years ago

He was touted as a promising junior a few years ago, big body and very strong, I saw him at 2015 u/18 Nationals I think it was, he slipped and lost his balance going for a lay up and did his knee right in front of me the poor kid.

Since then he has had a US College scholarship offer at Tulsa and had some time at the AIS, but I don't know much of the details there.

It's great for him and I wish the kid luck, if his body holds up he will be a decent power forward in the NBL, potentially.

Reply #648615 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

He actually broke his leg in the warm ups in the story above. Was a big set back that could have been a reason to give up but Will pursued his goals.

A great kid; softly spoken off the court but he's a beat on the floor. Couldn't be happier for him to get this opportunity with his hometown Bullets.

His brother plays for the Qld Reds too so a talented family.

Reply #648616 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks DJ Rod, yes I wasn't sure but I know it was just a freak accident, he was a huge kid in a young body, he will be a very strong young man and obviously the family is very talented.

So many great stories out there of kids who come back from serious injury, adversity and coaches that give up on them to make good with determination and high character, which he must have in spades.

Reply #648617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know, will he?

Reply #648618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Left college a few years early to sign this deal so either they were big on him or he was homesick and looking for an option in Australia.

Reply #648620 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

6'10" (208cm) and 235lbs (106kgs). He's a big body, and should help Brisbane's forward stocks in the short term, with Jervis carrying a finger injury and Young out with glandular fever.
He signed a three year deal the first as a DP, then will move to the full roster.
To replace Peach?

Reply #648636 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

I'd assume they know one of Peach, Bairstow, Kickert or Jervis wont either be there or wont be as effective in a year or 2.

From Will's perspective, his choice would have been staying in College, getting a degree and then seeing what his options are but realistically, it would have been a low level Euro contract or the NBL, so you may as well start making money now instead of putting it on hold for 3 more years.

He's a big athletic body, very good back to the basket and can stick a mid-range shot but will have to work to spread his range to the 3 if he needs that. Defensively, very strong but quick laterally and a great shot blocker! Long arms and a gets up quickly.

Reply #648652 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

DJ Rod, do you see him as a future possible Australian Boomer?

Does he have that kind of potential?

Reply #648657 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

That's a good question. He'll be borderline on one of the Asian Cup Boomers teams in 3-5yrs.

Reply #648669 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754