Cut it short
Years ago

Shorter set for short season

He is not without game, but he is not what we need this year. A mid-range shooting point guard with terrible shot selection. Those jacked 3s in crucial moments of the game from a guy who was bought in to get the ball moving and being a level headed point guard were infuriating.

We need support for Sobey's heavy workload, and we require someone who can space the floor and finish when he gets some easy looks. Seems harsh, but if the results are similar against Lisch and Cadee on Saturday it would be good to cut the cord early.

Topic #41881 | Report this topic

Nutsy  
Years ago

Settle down... he's not going to score like randle but he defends and was our best rebounder. I though his passing was solid. He come with a report card of a streaky shooter.
Have a big that can rebound we win.

Reply #648838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry isn't he a fill in?

Reply #648839 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

But is he better than Ebi Ere?

Reply #648841 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sobey had more than double the amount of rebounds Shorter had but he had 14p, 5a, 4r, 2s 5-13 fg 0-3 3pts. He'll fit in nicely given time had a dominant game in the Merlion Cup form memory.

The problem tonight was rebounding no Roberts, Hodgson had 6 and DJ 5 boards, to go with 4-12 fg he needs to lift.

Reply #648842 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

36er fans have forgotten what it's like to have a PG run an offence

Shorter is more than capable in the league

Giving up 23 offensive rebounds is the bigger issue

Reply #648843 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Anyone care to share their thoughts on why Deng only played 3 minutes. He racked up 2 quick fouls but was lively with a bucket and a block.

Did he mess up some sets and/or fail to make adjustments on d?

Joey can be brutal on the young bigs so curious if he fell foul of Joey's instructions or just couldn't match up with the physicality of United's bigs.

Reply #648847 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

It was a strange game. Adelaide had all the running and were playing with hustle and intensity but they lost all of that after half time. Shorter was good in patches. He is in my fantasy side and his shots were pretty ugly at times but most shots that miss are. Rotnei Clarke was ordinary for the 1st month of last year and came good. You have to give someone of his experience a chance.

Reply #648848 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Shorter didn't run the offense though . His positioning , tempo , over handling , poor timing and execution in passing all were well below what i would expect for an import PG . His long ball is horrendous and his D patchy and rather loose . He showed a few glimpses but i do not think he lasts long .

Reply #648850 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

You muppets, he lead the team in assists and had one less than Ware with 8 minutes less court time = he didn't run the offence lol you people are funny

Reply #648857 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Getting assists isn't the same thing as running an offence.

Reply #648858 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

An assist is a measure of getting people the ball in positions to score, which is what he did

Reply #648859 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Curious if you watched any of the Singapore games? He was pretty darn good in those. He will be fine, considering we were down an import I thought we were pretty decent, got a lot closer than I was expecting pre game.

Reply #648865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeez you Adelaide fans are funny.
A guy puts up 14-4-5 on 0 turnovers, has a +6 on the court and you're calling for his head.

Reply #648868 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ahhhh give 'im a chance

Reply #648874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A guy puts up 14-4-5 on 0 turnovers, has a +6 on the court and you're calling for his head."

Exactly plus 2 steals as well. With those stats he'd be Top 3 all time Cairns Taipans.

Reply #648880 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Our team loses and we're looking for heads, It's the Adelaide way.

I went to the singapore matches - the problem about dominating is you're playing against a bunch of kids save for Frankenstein in the semis. Players who dominate there won't necessarily dominate in Australia especially where you may be a tad slower or less athletic it will show in the NBL opposed to playing Asian sides where you tower over them and are like a physical freight train

Reply #648883 | Report this post

blanketyblanks  
Years ago

Congrats on a thread designed to pull-down fabric builds a season.
I found a lot of good things from Shorter and Moore.
This head-hunting really is a heap of shit. Be supportive, have constructive criticism but crucial moments come in all shapes and sizes. Perhaps you failed to see other players putting up for 3 in the last few minutes also? Maybe yeah? Where is your criticism on that? Start a thread, have seriously valid points and you get heard. But come up with dribble and ity gets shut down.

If you want Jerome back, help the club by forking out his 300k + salary per year and then let talk.

Its game 1 of 28, and Mr negativity is in the house

Reply #648891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

0-2 possibly by end of round. Not an ideal start what so ever.

Reply #648893 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

300k for Jerome? You only want half a season from
him lol

There is a reason no NBL team picked him up

Reply #648896 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

0-2 possibly by end of round. Not an ideal start what so ever.
Yeah, if this continues they'll go 0-28. Changes need to be made.

Reply #648897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Losing a big in the lead up is exactly what they couldn't afford to do, especially coming up against a team with a sizeable front court. Left Adelaide with DJ and Hodgson and that's about it. Creek has strength but not size and Drmic has neither playing in the paint.

Their glut is at SG and SF.

Meanwhile, Melbourne have Boone, Majok, Andersen and Wesley. Then guys like Prather and Barlow are strong forwards.

Reply #648906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play Hodgson or deng more then, seemed poor coaching.

Reply #648910 | Report this post

Bobby  
Years ago

Giving up a 13pt lead at home is very disturbing. They lack the big men in the paint. Giving up so many offence rebounds is a joke, and when a guard (Sobey) gets most of the rebounds then that says how the big men are travelling.

Reply #648912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The offensive rebounds they let Melbourne get cost them the game, cutting Roberts might have just cost them the first game

Reply #648935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how many of you were sooking in the first quarter and a half when Adelaide were ramming it down Melbournes throat playing small ball. Vickerman adjusted and went mobile while still playing big and it worked. Joey just didn't counter counter adjust he just kept rolling with Creek at the 5... Stayed quick but got molested on the boards. The 131 zone was pretty good as well but got holstered after half time?

Reply #648939 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

I saw a lot to like last night, including Shorter, but was sadly reminded of several realities, like the fact that Johnson gets more rebounds when he is actually in the front court when the ball hits the ring ... a reality reinforced by the fact that Shorter gets rebounds because he works to get to the boards and moves his feet to position himself.

However, I was confused about why Hodgson, in particular, wasn't on court in the closing couple of minutes when it was obvious the 36ERS were looking to take outside shots. If he was injured, fine. Otherwise I'd suggest it was a coaching failure. I realise they were also looking to pressure, but it seemed to me that in the 'end game' it was lack of rebounding that cost.

Reply #648941 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Cutting Roberts didn't cost them the first game, he wasn't fit to play anyway.

Reply #648971 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

According to him he was! ;)

Reply #648982 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-nbl-coach-joey-wright-rejects-import-ronald-roberts-claim-he-was-not-injured-when-released/news-story/17ec5b9c25917569824015b22c25f84a

Joey says he was injured.

Reply #649035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Joey never lies so it must be true

Reply #649036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey just might find out how good a coach he isn't this season. Here's hoping.

Reply #649458 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Didn't take long for the Joey haters. Why is he so hated? I think SS has been good. He's no Randle but defensively thats a good thing. Harvey alluded last night JR didn't get along with teammates. So chemistry will be better too.

Reply #649463 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He was impressive in Sydney. Took command down the stretch like he needed to against Melbourne.

Reply #649466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think all shorter haters just need to give it 5 games and realise the good thing that we have going with shannon shorter

Reply #649482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Didn't take long for the Joey haters. Why is he so hated?" Maybe because he can't coach!. Not as badly as A Gaze however but I wouldn't either coach, coaching my side.

Reply #649484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754