Anonymous
Years ago

Inner West Melbourne Girls programs?

Looks like I have two girls that are really keen on playing basketball. Both are going to be quite tall an athletic , not great experience playing yet (aged 9 &11) though.
Does anyone in the area recommend or know which may be the best association to take them to ? If they are going to commit to playing, I would like to see them developed for the commitment involved. Have researched the locality of associations and Westgate is our closest, are they good? Should I be looking around more ?

Topic #41891 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Altona

Reply #649093 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne or Altona

Reply #649094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If your close to Westgate.
Melbourne tigers iare the best club in that area for young girls.

Reply #649097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So may be Altona is the go?
My concern with Melbourne would be they are placed in a 7th side and coached by a parent with minimal knowledge ( nothing wrong with that) and not developed as my original post said.
Anyone familiar with Altona's coaches/ program?

Reply #649171 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Having been involved with both Altona and Melbourne Tigers I can assure you there is no comparison. Altona are a much smaller club and so only have a couple of teams in each age group. While your girls may make a 2 or 3 team at Altona they will probably be placed around the same level as a Tigers 5 or 6 team. Not many Tigers teams have parents coaching, but you are correct in saying the bottom team might have one. However the same goes for Altona in their 2 or 3 teams. Overall my girls have had a much better experience at tigers than Altona and I know a couple of other parents that would say the same thing. Keep in mind that most club tryouts start tomorrow, Tigers definitely do and they have announced who their coaches are for each team already. I am fairly sure there are no parents named as coaches at this stage anyway. It should be on their website or at least Instagram. You could always try out at both clubs and get a feel for them and then make an informed decision rather than one based on what others tell you! Good luck!

Reply #649197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Tigers program win u12 state champs?

Reply #649203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Toby,
Thanks for responding, I did not realise try outs were so soon!!,
So by your response you have had experience with both clubs? I may have Miss written what I meant earlier, the team doesn't bother me that they are selected in, their development does concern me. I would like them to get better AND have fun

Reply #649249 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

I really think having fun is the most important factor, if they enjoy it the improvement will follow (as long as they get good guidance from the coach!). I just checked and Tigers tryouts for under 12 and 14 are at MSAC at 8-10 am tomorrow and the following 2 Sundays. Go and have a look and make your own mind up!

Reply #649276 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754