Aussie
Years ago

NBL Television ratings

Kings v 36ers on SBS VICELAND 20k.

Ouch. Don't know what the ratings were on Fox though.

Topic #41904 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

What do shows on Viceland normally get on a Saturday evening?

Reply #649380 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Not great, but there'd be a few factors to consider.

1. Kings had a good attendance of over 7,000 so maybe not too many fans left in Sydney to watch on TV?

2. Fox and NBL.tv would have absorbed a few of their viewers.

3. In WA the broadcast time is 2:30pm, which is probably a tough time for many people to sit down and watch a game (people are out shopping, doing other things etc). Plus a majority of Perth fans would be preparing to head out to the Wildcats opener too.

4.Season opening round, maybe not everyone knows the league has started yet?

5. SBS isn't a high rating channel anyway.

Despite, that ratings should have been higher though. 20K is quite low, but was it unexpected?

Reply #649386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly... How many people actually know what SBS viceland is ??? I never knew about it untill 2 days ago so I'm sure that would contribute to a low count

Reply #649408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'More importantly... How many people actually know what SBS viceland is ??? I never knew about it untill 2 days ago so I'm sure that would contribute to a low count'

Fair point. It's probably my favourite FTA channel though

Reply #649412 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

What is a Viceland? Should of just called it SBS 2

Reply #649413 | Report this post

Daltonfor3  
Years ago

It is not great but compare it to AFL ratings, GWS games for Sydney audience average about 16k and networks persist in showing it. Very limited publicity, I watched it on Fox and didn't even know SBS was an option. Hopefully improve as season progresses.

Reply #649438 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Wilbures - SBS Viceland replaced SBS2 in November of this year. The US cable network Vice, joined SBS in a joint venture, hence the rebadging. They claim to be targetign younger viewers.

paul - I don't know what Viceland would usually rate on a Saturday night but I imagine it wouldn't be much. Some of what seem to be Viceland's higher rating shows rate >200,000 but they're on week nights and in prime time, not on Saturday night at dinner time.

By comparison, One got a metro-only audience of 84,000 for A-league on Saturday night. That also was simulcast with Foxtel. I'm not sure if that was the early game (same time slot as the NBL game) or the later (started shortly after the NBL game ended).

By comparison, the NBL coverage on Viceland got a metro-only audience of 15,000. That also means there was about a quarter of the NBL audience in non-metro areas.

I found this stuff from a search of some commercial blog sites that talk about tv ratings. I don't know how to locate the source data.

Reply #649448 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Nice work, PeterJohn!

Reply #649449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PeterJohn said "Wilbures - SBS Viceland replaced SBS2 in November of this year" No.
Almost a season old ;)

Reply #649486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The A-League game was the marquee matchup of the entire season, though.

Reply #649518 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It was Bathurst weekend and in Perth the game was on during Bathurst top 10 shoot out, after that was over I watched a bit on Viceland and then jumped on the train for the Wildcats game and watched it on NBL.tv.

Also remember that Bathurst race was on during cairns vs breakers game so look next week at ratings closer when all the revheads aren't focused elsewhere

Just wondering if the live Saturday game on Viceland will do much better than the ABC Friday game on delay at 11pm

Reply #649529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Haz, you mentioned the game was on at 2:30 in Perth and people would be out shopping, I thought shops closed at 12pm on Saturday in Perth or is that just pubs

Reply #649556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, terrible burn!

Reply #649557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha #649556 trading hours on Sunday were changed in Perth... recently. #WaitAwhile

Reply #649575 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

lol very good...

Reply #649709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's still #WaitAwhile though - good luck trying to buy something after 5pm on a Saturday or Sunday. Plus no daylight saving time because "the curtains will fade".

Reply #649713 | Report this post

Cool Howie  
Years ago

The ratings are fine man smh. Run at me if you don't like it

Reply #649724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754