Years ago

Taipans v 36ers Thursday 12th October

Cairns Taipans v Adelaide 36ers

Where: Cairns Convention Centre

When: Thursday October 12th 7:30pm Eastern Standard Time

Tickets and Membership: taipans.com

Television: Foxtel, FOX Sports 503 www.foxtel.com.au

Streaming: NBL.tv

My thoughts: I think the 36ers size will be too much for the Snakes. Will be an interesting game though

Topic #41926 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cairns have done well to start the season 2-0 without their best import and only one half of Jawai. At the same time I don't think the Breakers are a playoff team but the Hawks almost certainly will be.

Despite the great start the Sixers usually play pretty well up in Cairns not sure if the new import will be playing but still think Adelaide have too much firepower.

Reply #650022 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Without Jawai the Cairns front court won't be able to throw its weights around

Reply #650024 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

reckon you're on the money Zodiac. And if it's a shootout we're in trouble. But if we get them in the grind, we'll get there.

I don't think Wiggins is playing.

Reply #650025 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Wiggins won't play until Saturday.

I think the Sixers will get up by 8 or so.

I expect Gliddon to have a big game, Sixers perimeter is usually pretty bad.

Reply #650027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The winner of this game will go to the top of the ladder because they will have played three games.

Reply #650029 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Scoochie,Gliddon & McCarron Vs Shorter,Sobey & Moore. Should be a great match up,I'm tipping Snakes in OT.

Reply #650048 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sixers to win

Reply #650049 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if the Taipans will again be playing Camel's man Stevie Weigh at the four or not tonight.

Reply #650052 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Weigh will be the starting 4 until Carrera comes back, unless Evans suddenly steps up to a new level.

Reply #650056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans are about to get piped by a gang of shrikes

Reply #650057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's as if the game wasn't on...

Reply #650064 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well I'll be damned , the league's most versatile player.

( If more than 9 people look at nbl livestats it
crashes...)

Reply #650065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the scoreboard on the TV has crashed....im about to start a Thread on it...the worst thing ever on TV

Reply #650066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the towel man for the 36ers? Big unit with tats.

Reply #650067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score update? Can't get to a TV & live stats crashed.

Reply #650068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half Time
Cairns 43
Adelaide 49

Reply #650069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson is useless in this team

Reply #650073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score?

Reply #650075 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

56-75 Adelaide, 9:40 in the 4th.

Reply #650076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with all these techs?

Reply #650078 | Report this post

BN  
Years ago

What was the last technical ?

Reply #650079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was too easy.

Reply #650081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

96-70 FT

Reply #650083 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Sixers looked several classes above there. You are in trouble when Huier(?) is clearly your best player.

Reply #650084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has there are ever been a bigger losing margin in Cairns? I mean apart from the amount of weight Jawai lost this morning...

Reply #650085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not leave DJ in for a career average?

Reply #650087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*best sorry

Reply #650088 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

When DJ is playing like that he's a pleasure to watch.

This 36ers team in better without Randle.

Creek is seriously underappreciated.

Shorter seems to get a lot of hate, but he seems to fit in exactly where he needs to.

We played like poop.

Reply #650090 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why not leave DJ in for a career average?

What's the point we play Melbourne in less than 48 hours?

Reply #650093 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This 36ers team in better without Randle.

I said the same thing Podge before the season yet all the bookies had us outside the Top 4.

Taipans biggest ever loss at home tonight?

Reply #650094 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

last tech was another game delay I think.

Well done Sixers

Reply #650095 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Why not leave DJ in for a career average?"

"What's the point we play Melbourne in less than 48 hours?"

Agreed and also professional players could care less about beating their personal best.

This game was the perfect reason why the Sixers don't bring in a super talented import (Nor do they have money for it spending the money on quality Australian players). We already have a super talented team, you bring in a player that will compliment the team not one that will kill the chemistry and/or take away from the other players.

A great sign by the team was Sobey had a quiet scoring game and it didn't matter as everyone else stepped up.

The offensive movement looks fantastic. A credit to coach Wright. A credit to him also for keeping onto the core Australian players.

It will be a tough game against United but a great win tonight.

Reply #650096 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Hodgson is useless in this team"

Probably the same clown that thought Shorter should be replaced....

Reply #650097 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Zodiac: 3 biggest under Fearne i think. We chalked up a few 40+ losses back in the day.

Reply #650098 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Jawai would never have changed the outcome of that game.
Makes Melbourne's R1 win seem even more impressive.

Reply #650099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Brunson I'm a 36ers fan...

In 3 games he has been really poor.

Reply #650100 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Just "one of those games" for both teams tonight, on opposite sides of the gradient. Not reading too much into it for either side - Sixers are good, Cairns are not quite as good but still good.

Reply #650101 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I think Adelaide scored more points in the hoop than the Taipans.

It's funny actually, you add both teams' totals and that was Nate Jawai's weight coming into last pre-season.

Reply #650102 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

We were a shambles tonight. Full credit to Adelaide for some great offence. Cairns were awful. Not one player can hold his head high... maybe Stevie Weigh. Heuir at least had some enthusiasm, but failed to make much of it, and missed too many from the stripe.

Scoochie completely lacked the aggression he showed in NZ. Gliddon and McCarron might as well have not been there. Weeks never appeared to know whom he should be defending. Egwu had a shocker, even passing the rock to an opponent under the hoop. Loughton made a lefty hook and then seemed to think he should put up a hook every time he got the ball, but didn't want to know who Daniel Johnson is.

Two good things came out of the game: Adelaide didn't make it to 100, and Kuany got his first points. I love the guy, but why is he on the roster if he's not going to play?

Reply #650103 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

We're not going to win very much if:
i) Damon Heuir damn near outscores all the imports combined
ii) Stephen Weigh is your top scorer and your only player in double digits for most of the game

It was just one of those games though. Nothing was going down and having Jawai around wouldn't have changed anything. That said, they're going to have to figure something out because Melbourne are going to eat them alive otherwise.

Reply #650104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naive Fearne. Your sludgeball won't work especially now with the points of emphasis calling for fouls to make the game more offensive.

Reply #650107 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Not much Fearne could have done last night. He's encouraging the guys to get to the hole, but there's no ball movement, no movement off the ball, and guys were just leaving the ball behind when they did try to drive.

Reply #650108 | Report this post

Chewie  
Years ago

Good game by the Sixers. Depth of scoring in this squad is under appreciated I think in the media still.

I'm finding the new travel rules interesting and their interpretation. The zero step interpretation in particular. The refs still appear to be adjusting to the rules themselves, as last night there were a number of situations where the zero step was allowed, and a couple of times it was still called as a travel.

It will be interesting to see who starts using the step back rule change (think James Harden here) with their jump shooting to create space.

Anyway, good job Sixers. Their brand is entertaining to watch on offence so far, and their team defence has been pretty solid watching them switching from man to 2/3 and 1/3/1. They seem pretty connected. Loved them mobbing DJ post game. Really looks like good chemistry.

Reply #650112 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Agreed Chewie and Zodiac. I too am one of the ones who called that this 36ers team will be the real deal. Those dudes were going hard for all 40 mins, even up 20+. Each and every player looks focused and hungry. Shorter is proving his worth - 3 point shooting and decision making can be suspect, but the guy competes on both ends hard. The scary thing is this 36ers team blew the snakes out and Sobey was pretty much chilling. No one played over 30 mins either, which is good because I have them to get their revenge on Melbourne in a few days.

Reply #650113 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

A good system and a good coach can only get you so far. Cairns are bereft of talent, relative to most other NBL teams right now without Jawai and Carrera.

Reply #650118 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Exactly LV.

"Naive Fearne. Your sludgeball won't work especially now with the points of emphasis calling for fouls to make the game more offensive."

You know who pays attention and who doesn't. A team that moves the ball quickly and cuts a lot, using the shot clock, isn't sludge ball.

His style worked quite well last year with tight officiating, and already this year they are 2-1 despite missing two starters.

Reply #650119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns did not look like a team that won their last two games.

Reply #650122 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

For the record I don't think Cairns are shite... always had a soft spot for them and it is only because of Fearne's system that they have over-achieved in recent years. Remember, this is the team that were minor premiers with Wilbekin not too long ago. I just think Adelaide will be really good this year.

Reply #650124 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

Aside from missing Jawai and Carrerra last night, that was also the Taipans 3rd game in 7 days, which included an away game in NZ. 2 of the 4 "free days" they had in this period were largely used up in travel to and from NZ so it was not totally surprising they weren't all that great in the 2nd half against Adelaide. Up to half time, they were going ok. The news of the extent of Jawai's injury may have also dented their morale a little. As well as that, they were playing a team that is looking very good.

It's going to be tough going for the Taipans from now on although they get a chance against Brisbane next Friday, given Brisbane are now in the US. Hopefully, Carrerra will make some difference when he returns otherwise it could be a very long season for the Taipans.

Reply #650126 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Perth are still the benchmark, with Melb close behind. But damn, if the 36ers can consistently put that style of basketball together, sweet baby Jesus.

It'll be interesting to see how the new import compliments the pieces already on the table.

Reply #650130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Taipans really missed Jawai and his ability to throw his weight around on the inside

Reply #650132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"His style worked quite well last year with tight officiating, and already this year they are 2-1 despite missing two starters."
NZ are a spud team who made them look good.

Reply #650141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd figure anyone?

Reply #650176 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Twinkle toes, it was also the Sixers' third game in 7 days in three different locations , and they were in the road. Not sure travel is a convincing excuse.

Reply #650178 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

It was the Sixers' third game in 8 days (not 7). The Sixers' played their 2nd game on Saturday night. The Taipans were travelling to NZ on Saturday after having played Friday night, played Sunday in NZ and then travelled back from NZ on Monday. The travel too and from NZ is not a direct flight for the Taipans.

I was not using it as an excuse for losing. I was making the point that I was not surprised it was a blowout given the tough schedule they had and I also feel the extent of Jawai's injury may have dented their morale a little.

I acknowledged Adelaide were very good and I think Adelaide were the likely winners even if the Taipans had a couple more days of rest, particularly given Carrera and Jawai were out for the Taipans.

Reply #650189 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

I agree Twinkle - it's possible to chew gum and walk at the same time.

Reply #650194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd: Not yet published.

Reply #650247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, which is pathetic.

Reply #650248 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

About 3.5k I expect

Reply #650286 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754