Matt
Years ago

NH - Best ever grand final in Aussie rules history

Was this years 2017 AFL GF the best grand final you seen ever, and that includes everything not just the match but the whole experience from the killers to up there cazaly to riewoldt singing with the killers, to richo handing the trophy and crying in the 4th quarter to the whole day in general, what a day and night it was with richmond breaking the drought.
There have been some classic SANFL GF's and WAFL ones and ACTAFL.
1989 VFL GF was the best experience i had, but this eclipsed that the 2017 GF was a GF for the ages something else. I always enjoyed the 91 GF at waverley as it was so unique to hold a GF there and waverley all the wooden seats so old school and angry anderson blasting away... But yeah 2017 AFL GF best GF I seen ever in aussie rules..

Topic #41948 | Report this topic

Years ago

try including 2005 and 2006 as some of the best ever - that sydney west coast rivalry for a few years was sensational

Reply #650754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless you are a tigers fan, I thought this years GF was pretty boring.

I don't really care what Molloy or Richo are doing in the lead up to and during every 5 mins of the game. Killers were good but I'm there for the game.

2005 was a personal favourite- in modern AFL times.

Reply #650757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be in the top ten , unless I was a Tigers supporter

Reply #650768 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As a neutral fan, this GF was an anticlimax. No way will it be considered a classic.
From a Richmond POV, sure, it was amazing. Though IMO last year's Bulldogs still eclipses it, but very similar "team of destiny" type storylines with an awesome ending for the team & its success-starved fans.

Reply #650770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney Kings against the West Sydney Razor Backs in game 7 was absolutely superb.. It's summer now f..k the afl.

Reply #650774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Kings-Razorbacks 2004 GF series was epic. Also 20080Kings-Tigers when it looked like Kings had it in the bag but Tigers came through. Both series went to five.

Reply #650782 | Report this post

Fool  
Years ago

Lol.

It was a pretty poor game overall. Methinks the OP is a tigers supporter. So based on that it was probably the best gf in at least 37 years.

But to anyone else it wouldn't even be in the top 20-30 mostly because it was a shit game.

Reply #650825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best Grand Final in history for mine was the draw between Collingwood and St. Kilda.

Reply #650879 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

1984 SANFL GF Norwood beat traditional rivals Port Adelaide.

Norwood from 5th spot came out of the blocks early and at Qtr time it was Norwood 27 to 8. Port are never down unless you hammer a wooden stake through their heart and burn the carcass with napalm. They kicked 10.9 to 7.5 to squeeze ahead of the Handbaggers from the Parade by 3 points at 3 quarter time. It looked like the fairy tale of Norwood becoming the first team to win from 5th was gone, but Rocky Roberts, who had stabbed my beloved Eagles in the back and changed clubs "so he could win a flag" kicked truely in the 4th and the Redlegs picked the Magpies pocket to take out the game by 9 points.

Reply #650915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2012 Hawks Vs Swans was an absolute belter of a game. Still gutted the Hawks lost that one, but probably fueled the next 3 so I can't complain!

Reply #651039 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Matt, Matt, Matt, why you trolling with such a nonsensical thread, that game isn't even in the top 100 of best games let alone grand finals.

Reply #651058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a reply to the A-League threads. Someone was feeling threatened.

Reply #651059 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Haha Richmond loving op

As far as gf go it was infinitely forgettable. Adelaide didn't rock up, Carlton could have beat them that day. Richmond played well, but not great. Any one of the grand finalists from around 2002-2007 would have beaten Richmond like a red headed step child.

The AFL is paying for its expansion. The league is pretty weak right now with all the top teams dropping away and the mid tier teams staying pretty mid tier thanks to the AFL handing 500 draft picks to organisations just learning how to be a club much less how to develop players.

Predicting Richmond dive similar to dogs, maybe not as bad but likely don't hold up.

Reply #651091 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

1st 2018 (not sure why no one above has even mentioned it?!)
2nd 2010
3rd 1977

1989 was memorable for some events and the wounded winners but the game itself was a free scoring bore-fest. The one mentioned at Waverley in 1991 was a good one.

Reply #710402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1st 2018 (not sure why no one above has even mentioned it?!)
Probably because nobody above has posted in this thread this year.

Reply #710409 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

For once I liked the entertainment, BEP and Barnsey.

Game was good too.
And whilst any result is obviously the culmination of the whole game,its kinda special when it has its own iconic moment. Dom Sheed will never pay for another beer.

Reply #710513 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

AshT you've just chosen Collingwood games

2005 and 2006 are pretty unbeatable tbh

Reply #710514 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I'm not corrupt nor a Collingwood supporter, just that they're my honest picks.

'77 was very stiff not to get my main nod. First ever televised GF and just one anmazing game, with North storming home from -27 at 3QT. '05 & '06 were great too, scraps are some of the best games IMO.

Reply #710565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754