SteveK2
Years ago

Lisch to miss 8 weeks

Very likely they will bring in an import. Ray Willis jr?

Topic #41960 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Call me crazy, but this might help in the long run... Get an import PG, throw Humphries in the middle with Blanchfield/Leslie as 6th man and I think we might be able to turn things around.

Reply #651101 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Lets say the Kings bring in a good PG and stays, then lisch comes back and slots in perfectly back in as SG.

They have Cadee and Thoseby and to me Leslie becomes excess of requirements and that slot is needed up front.

Reply #651102 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I agree. I said last week that Lisch can't shoot anymore, and so far this season he is again under 40%. More shots for Newley and Leslie.

I will be interested to see what Cadee does starting at point this week. If Lisch does indeed come back later in the season, Id rather he be 6th man. Way too many mins for him at his age the past 12 months. Might be more effective against others' 2nd units.

Reply #651104 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He's only 31 years old

Reply #651108 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A lot of miles on his legs though, four years in Perth, a full season in Puerto Rico, a year in France, a year in Spain, a year at the Hawks, another offseason in Puerto Rico and now second year at Sydney.

Reply #651109 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Lisch can shoot fine, the problem is the shots he's getting... A lot of long 2s he's creating off the dribble and contested 3s low in the shotclock. This has been consistent since he came to Sydney - our offense just doesn't create anything for him, and I think he would benefit more from a natural PG next to him than anyone else on the roster.

Reply #651110 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

He misses open 3s as well as contested. Newley, on the other hand, is a bit older but plays to his strengths, and reaps the rewards. Ive seen enough from Lisch in 30 something games of sub .400 FG to know he should be used more efficiently. He is a good passer, tremendous handles but we see not enough of that.

Him scoring 11 or 12 on better shots would be fine.

Reply #651112 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Unfortunate injury for Lisch but this is Sydney's opportunity to get it right.
Sign import and keep for remainder of season.
Lisch returns but in a bench capacity and they let Garlepp go.

Reply #651113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should see if that Blake guy from last season is available.

Reply #651119 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

An opportunity to get Powell (brainsnap) back !!!

Reply #651122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a PG who can create some shots for Kev and problem solvered. Having to create 100% of your own shots is enough to wear anyone down

Reply #651124 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Highly unlikely but Deron Williams.
Getting $1.4m from Cavs but available to play.
At 33 he fits the Kings mould of NBA veterans, he would be significantly better than Steve Blake.

Reply #651125 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Jerome!

Reply #651127 | Report this post

Lawsy  
Years ago

Realistically- I think we need a big. I think we can cover Kevin, let's be real he hasn't set the world on fire, but height is what we are lacking... an import big, put perry at the 4 would be deadly- as no one can guard perry in this league

Reply #651128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could actually turn out well for the Kings, if they get a good PG import replacement and then keep the PG and move Lisch to SG.

As others have pointed out, Lisch's efficiency is down because of his role, not because he's past it.

Reply #651133 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

There are still two great needs and it's the Kings initial recruiting that have put them in this position...

It's incredibly frustrating to have Gaze hint at reasons at why they only went with two imports and then spin it into a positive when if he was truly concerned that if one of our guards, especially Kevin, (who was coming off an injury/surgery, so it's really very reasonable to take this into consideration) would go down, they should have recruited someone who was a proper PG in the first place... Like so many of us were screaming for...

Now we're still light on in the front court and they're going to burn an import spot that if Kevin DOES come back, we'll have one too many guards and STILL have the weakest front court in the league and getting overrun in the paint...

Part of the spin when Leslie was signed was that he could handle the ball as well... I had my doubts and nothing he's done so far has reassured me... I think it's possible to bring in an import PG AND strengthen our front line, as Maric is apparently back and considering retirement... Sure he's at the tail end of his career, but his experience and talent is worth so much more than Pineau and Singh, even in limited minutes... Will give Isaac a big body to bang against in practise as well and it's not like he doesn't have a wealth of knowledge to pass on to the youngster...

Just have to weigh up the options for Aussie vs import talent... If we can get Maric back (please please please please please) it will be easier to being in that import guard...

Otherwise, still bring in a workhorse import big (like Hammer described), which the team seems to have been SUPER reluctant to do for some mysterious reason that Gaze eluded to in the press conference, and manage for 8-10 weeks (in reality) which is at least 13 games (our most concentrated part of the season) with Jason and others stepping up...

Which is the lesser of two evils and which is the worst path for the Kings to most likely choose in the end?

Reply #651136 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

@Shano76 LOL btw Randle tweeted:

I pray my boy @kevinlisch gets better and have a speedy recovery

Is he getting antsy about late payments? As novel an idea it is, unlikely IMHO.

Matt Logue also relayed that JVG and Gaze had a meeting a few hours ago to discuss the import situation. Lisch is projected to return around round 11, give or take depending on his recovery. That's pretty much half the regular season, a bit more than half perhaps.

I imagine there would be robust discussion about what type of import to bring in. Do you bring a big name star that may end up staying for the season or more of a roleplayer to hold the fort until Lisch returns?

Smart money says you bring in a point guard, but they are cuckoo enough to end up with another swingman complete with the argument of getting the best available talent. I know Josh Childress is waiting out there, he's already responded to an SOS tweet from a fan.

Reply #651139 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Utah just cut Joel Bolomboy. 6'9, 235. You could do far worse, and he will be paid for another 2 years by the Jazz, so essentially is just looking for top-up money.

Sydney saw first hand what he can do when getting the ball in the right spots in the 4th qtr.

Reply #651143 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Cant help but hope it is someone associated with the Utah Jazz, keep the lines of communication alive and next year perhaps have more of a working relationship... but isn't the Kings owned by the same consortium that owns the Lakers?

Reply #651144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A lot of this discussion about the Kings reminds of some Adelaide supporters, who when there are a couple of losses look to their team's offence for a fix.

Sydney are averaging 95ppg, shooting 48%, getting 25 FTA and have a 2:1 assist-to-turnover ratio. And that's despite taking the ball out of the net a lot.

Their ability to defend and rebound are the key areas to taking them from an OK team to a good one (as well as time to gel).

So any talk that they are struggling without an import PG is off the mark, unless of course that import PG is Gary Payton brought from the mid-90s in a time machine!

Reply #651145 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see what they do now though, whether they go for an import for the rest of the season, or a replacement until Lisch is back, because you would imagine those would be two different players.

Do they go for an import PG? Do they look for an Aussie replacement and go for an import big? Or do they split the difference and go for an athletic SF who can rebound, handle the ball and defend multiple positions?

Reply #651146 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Trey Burke will be announced shortly by the Kings as an injury replacement....just finalizing the length of contract as initial discussions around 4 weeks not the 6-8 as now being reported

Reply #651151 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings have gone with Aussie PG Jeremy Kendle, which leaves a spot for an import centre.

Reply #651153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeremy Kendle is American.

Reply #651154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality, you seem to be out of touch with reality.

Reply #651155 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Kendle is not confirmed yet. He's currently being assessed at training.

Reply #651160 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Based purely on NZNBL numbers, Kendle looks alright.

Reply #651166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to win a Championship, which is the goal, Kendle is not the man to get that done. Casper will bust his ass.

Reply #651167 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If I was Gaze and JVG, I'd be giving strong consideration to taking Kendle on to help with PG duties- along with Cadee and Leslie- for the next 8 weeks.

Sign a gun import big to fill out the roster later.

Reply #651172 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Kendle been training for a while...if the Burke deal doesn't get done it might happen but Burke deal is very close!

Reply #651174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they want a decent replacement, why don't they go after Nate Tomlinsahahahahahhahahahahahahha

Reply #651176 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@paul has hit the nail on the head. Kings need defence, there offence is fine. I do think that means they need an import PG, though. Mostly because Cadee is an open gate, defensively.

I agree with @Wookie that Leslie has not shown he is up to the task of being primary ball handler, so it seems an import PG would be the go. The question then becomes what to do with the bigs department, and includes whether or not Leslie stays.

Has Leslie shown enough to warrant playing him as the starting 2 guard and maintaining the small-ball lineup of Newley at 3, Blanchfield at 4 and Ellis at 5? That would allow Cadee to come off the bench at either 1 or 2, and Thoseby's role to continue to be limited.

If they sack Leslie to make room for an import big, then Cadee has to start at 2 (until Lisch is able to return) and Blanchfield comes off the bench at 3 or 4, with Ellis starting at 4, and the new import at 5. This would also reduce Pineau's role somewhat, which may not be a bad thing.

Knowing the Kings, they'll sign an athletic 3.

Reply #651178 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Now this: Sydney have announced on their official Instagram account that Jeremy Kendle has been "brought in to Sydney Kings training as the team looks to find an injury replacement for Kevin Lisch.
Kendle is arguably the best player in SEABL and played a starring role for the Australian side that took on China in the offseason.
Plenty more to come... stay tuned."
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaU44YJlh9q/?taken-by=officialsydneykings

Reply #651180 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

It would seem he qualifies as an Australian then, if he played for them?

As for the hoards saying cut Leslie...yeah, great idea, cut the guy who has been shooting well, and start the process again of getting players used to one another. The team is just starting to build chemistry. If Leslie isn't worthy, then 90% of the imports in the NBL aren't either. We're 3 games in.

Reply #651184 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

He's not Australian.

The Aussie NBL team also had Randle, who is also not Australian.

Reply #651186 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Well they'd better get someone better than him. We saw how well the Garrett Jackson injury replacement went. Sydney has missed on Trice, Ware, Dillard, Randle, Cotton. I'd love for the Trey Burke rumour to be true. He would be at a minimum the equal of those above, although his attitude is not brilliant. He was not a cancer when he was banished by Snyder though - his negative comments came after being dealt to Washington.

Reply #651187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baron Davis has just tweeted that he'd be good for 20 mins a game in the NBL.

Reply #651189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a team who specialize in washed up ex NBA players I think the Kings need to jump on that!

Reply #651190 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Big chance for Caddee here.

Im sure he's not happy about being 6th man.

Im still not sold on him. Take's way to many 3's for someone with flawed technique.

Needs to try and penetrate more and accept he's not the Australian Steph Curry.

Will be a big audition for another team next year...

Reply #651196 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This is really starting off as a real frigging nutbag of a season and for the Kings, that's really saying something...

I just can't see what the hell the Kings are doing, bringing in the "best player in the country that is available" even though he doesn't actually fill a need properly... So no doubt, if he DOES get signed (and teh Kings restraint on at least trialing how he will go with teh team is admirable, surprising and not like them at all), he'll get cut when Lisch comes back, or before and they go back to playing Lisch out of position and STILL being too light up front, so if they go for an import big THEN, it will be too late for him to gel quick enough and/or make much of a difference IF he gets in the required games for an unlikely run at the playoffs (which is the reason that you'd spend that money in the first place).

Which all might be a moot point if they leave acting too long and the Kings are so off the playoff race and in the cellar that the only point would be to avoid another wooden spoon...

*helpless shrug*

Reply #651199 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Even NBL.com.au is chipping in with suggestions

5 NBA cuts the Sydney Kings should sign

Reply #651204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JPG had it under control as always

Reply #651206 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Even NBL.com.au is chipping in with suggestions

Sort of reminds me of playing family trivial pursuit with my 6yo on the weekend... seeing them struggling to find the answer and giving them little hints and pushes... and then just cutting the losses when they just couldn't figure it out...

Reply #651208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they want a decent replacement, why don't they go after Nate Tomlinsahahahahahhahahahahahahha

Bwahahahahaahaha. Nice.

Reply #651209 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Even trailing Kendle suggests winning is not the goal this season.

Reply #651210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like in the article how it says under the tutelage of Gaze, lol

Reply #651218 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Its pretty obvious from the interview with Andrew Gaze that they won't be getting an import from abroad anytime soon.

Reply #651219 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Would anyone actually be surprised if Sydney went cheap/Seabl option.

Reply #651223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not me

Reply #651224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendle was pretty good in his stint with the Bullets last year, wasn't he? Not a bad pick-up at all.

Reply #651243 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In his 7 games with the Bullets last season Kendle averaged 11 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 2.4 apg shot 47% from the field and 28% on 3pt.

Reply #651245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic seabl player. Not NBL calibre.

Reply #651255 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Kendle was pretty good in his stint with the Bullets last year, wasn't he? Not a bad pick-up at all.

He's in to replace Lisch... Two time MVP and DPOTY... Kendle is a 3rd string import, not at the level that the Kings need...

Reply #651256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

according to this its done deal

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/king-kendle-rekindles-nbl-career/

Reply #651264 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I have to agree that Kendle is not the best fit here. Still not confirmed but I believe he's still training with them today for this week's games, so high likelihood he's in.

Kendle would be able to cover for Lisch's offense and ballhandling but not comparable on defense. He's an ok defender but Kev is on another level entirely and the Kings sorely need that.

Kendle will probably be released when Lisch returns but in the event that he becomes a key component, someone has to go. I doubt it'd be Leslie, most likely Garlepp or Thoseby.

Reply #651265 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With Cadee presumably slipping into the starting 5, Kendle gives us bench scoring which is definitely important. He doesn't address our biggest needs, no, but he's an NBL-calibre scorer who got better game-by-game last season who should be able to contribute immediately off the bench... Not ideal, no, but we could (and have...) done worse.

Reply #651268 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Well he has offically signed with the Kings.

Very underwhelming and rushed.

Reply #651270 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

The Kings should just throw open the doors and let everyone watch games for free. Charging punters who think they're coming to watch professional sport is taking money under false pretences

Reply #651275 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Not the right type of player and it smacks of being a rushed, knee-jerk reaction to try to cover poor vision and initial recruiting...

Very underwhelmed with this decision, especially after Gaze said in the video posted last night that because it could take a couple of weeks to get someone in, Jeremy could bet that couple of week stop gap...

Crap decision after crap decision after crap decision... Much more of this crap and I'll be asking for a membership refund...

Reply #651284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last season they need a guard and they brought in Jackson, this year they need a 5 and they bring in a guard. They have enough guards to cover the loss of Lisch, no rhyme or reason to what jvg does, feal for Gazey.

Reply #651293 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Gazey is a grown arse man who would be able to use his position as the best male Aussie basketballer ever to impose at least some of his opinions on the team if he wanted to or had any good ones...

He's not who people should be feeling sorry for...

Reply #651295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"feal for Gazey."

Seriously? FeAl???

Reply #651298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze no longer head coach for the melb Tigers in the seabl. Shame it's not the Kings as well.

Reply #651300 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If the Kings can go .500 for the time Lisch is out I think this wouldn't have been too bad but its a big risk as we know from last season 1 game meant potentially slipping 3-4 spots on the ladder.

Reply #651303 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

With Cadee presumably slipping into the starting 5

This might make life a lot harder for Ellis defending the 5. Cadee's on-ball D will likely allow more penetration.

I wonder why not rely on Daly a bit more with Newls and Leslie playing spot minutes at point. Daly has shown flashes that he will be a good player.

Finding an import 5 with good defensive instincts and shotblocking skills would have helped more than Kendle. It would help cover Cadee/Daly's mistakes and free-up Ellis to focus on offense as well as mitigate Humphries' inconsistencies.

Reply #651324 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Spot on, Steve... How can we oust JvW and get you in there?

I thought Daly proved enough during the pre-season that he was worth a chance, at least in the short term, and why he was given a DP spot in the first place... I didn't even click about the specific effect it would have on Ellis, but if Lisch was letting opposition players into the paint and having their run of the place, Cadee will be gift-wrapping it for them...

It's surely not rocket science to figure all this stuff out, it baffles me as to why the Kings have persisted with their head in the sand dickheadery this season...

Reply #651371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:14 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754