TokotoRulz
Years ago

Where in the world is Tom Garlep

He hasn't seen much minutes at all from the Kings?

Is he injured? What's the go?

Topic #41969 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

He's out of the rotation.

Reply #651292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not injured.. I guess just out of favour with Gaze.
Silly IMO.
Should be playing way ahead of Pineau, Singh, Daly!!

Reply #651294 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Look in the direction of the "Hollywood seats" at the next Kings home game.

Reply #651296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taking the money baby!

Reply #651299 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If true the rumours about the Kings wanting him out then its a real shame.

OK he is not the best but he developed a decent mid range and a fade-away jump shot the last two seasons. He is service-able and was the captain too.

Is this how the Kings treat their ex-captain?

Reply #651301 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

To consolidate discussions from elsewhere, there are a few different options...

Apparently Tom got told that he wouldn't be part of the rotation this season and he was free to look elsewhere (he had a year left on his last 2yr contract), so...

Either he didn't get any other offer worth taking and decided to stick it out; or

The Kings refused to pay him out of his contract and are hoping that with no minutes he will give up and leave.

If it's either of these or somewhere inbetween, it's an ugly situation that I don't think I've seen before from a professional organisation to this degree and it's embarrassing as a Kings fan that my team is caught up in a situation like this with an ex-captain...

To have Pineau and Singh getting minutes ahead of him is just stupid and detrimental to team chemistry...

Reply #651302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookie, maybe Singh, but to say Pineau is way off. Dane is a player for the future, who is playing a solid role now. He is also a different position and way better defensively than Garlepp. I know you'll say Garlepp is a 4, but is he really? He's in immobile 3, that turns back to the basket every now and again.

Reply #651304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it's an ugly situation that I don't think I've seen before from a professional organisation"

Thats because the Kings aren't a professional organisation.

Reply #651305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp has played 4 all his career, is still better than Pineau who also is 4. Would Pineau have been taken up any other club except for Sydney because of the Melbourne tigers connection. Pineau might be Sydney future but should not be playing ahead of tommy.

Reply #651310 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yup, #651310 has it right... Opening up with "maybe Singh" ruined any credibility that the rest of your post had...

In the NBL, Garlepp is a 4 and over the years has filled in at the 5 for the Kings... Pineau may have a longer wingspan, but that doesn't make him better defensively, and I've seen him getting beaten a lot in his limited minutes...

I'm not saying that Garlepp is the answer or even one of the key players, but even disregarding his experience and his leadership, he is still a better player than Pineau is at this point in time...

If they wanted to play the son of an old teammate of Gaze more, fine, but do the right thing and cut Tommy, pay him out and let him explore other options, but STILL get another import big (or even better, don't let Maric leave) and let Pineau get limited minutes and learn on the training court like nearly every other young player that hasn't been the son of an ex-teammate of the head coach has had to do...

Reply #651314 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

The last time Tom was pushed out of the rotation this far was in his 2nd or 3rd year with Perth where Fisher was pushing Dowdell as a star of the future.

Reply #651328 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell, now that's a name I haven't heard in a very longtime.

Reply #651334 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Wookie, you have it absolutely right, from my point of view. Pineau is barely serviceable at the moment, and needs to spend a lot of time on the practise court learning the game. He may become a decent NBL player; I can not see him becoming a star (famous last words).

Garlepp is never going to be a star, but he is a decent role player. He also deserves the respect from the Sydney Kings franchise to actually be cut, if they are only going to play him in garbage time.

I think Garlepp's biggest failing has been that he is a bit of a black hole on offence. Yes, he has developed a fade away jumper over the years. That's a shot I've always thought should be a last resort, unless you are at the level Michael Jordan took that shot in the latter stages of his first iteration as an NBA player. Teams know Garlepp is unlikely to pass, and can often pick up a cheap a turnover or an easy rebound and transition by closing him out on defence.

It's clearly becoming a big issue of trust within the Kings organisation, and they really need to do something about it, or they will make themselves look even worse than they currently do to future players.

Reply #651337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBLPA should sort this out. What have they done?

Reply #651339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would NBLPA do? They can't force the Kings to play Garlepp. What they are doing is perfectly legal although it seems like a real dick move imo.

Reply #651341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant ABA, Australian Basketballers Association. Yes true, but should be there if something goes wrong.

Reply #651345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garlepp will tough it out and take their money. As a long time Kings supporter the treatment that Garlepp has been put through in the off season is deplorable. Take the FF points mate. Fuck them.

Reply #651349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dane is a much better defender than Garlepp! You're dreaming. Dane also gets up the floor much quicker.

Reply #651359 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I can't imagine Dane being a worse rebounder than Tommy and furthermore, how do you trust Tommy, he doesn't go for rebounds unless they fall in his lap and he looks like he barely cares when he is running up the court... I don't like his attitude (seen live in person at many games) and maybe this attitude is why he is in the Redhage spot from last year?

Reply #651376 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754