Reply #651316 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Did the Kings do an "extensive" search for a replacement haha

Reply #651321 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Did the Kings do an "extensive" search for a replacement"

They go to the NBL stats page and start from the bottom.

Reply #651322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ding ding ding
We have a winner
Above post wins

Reply #651323 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think having a 1-2 opening with plenty of early road games to come and your star player down have put them into a panic mode where they quickly grab anyone passable that may slow an ugly losing streak.

They know there is a growing negative vibe from some of their fanbase. Pressure, pressure, pressure...

Reply #651325 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Just another cheap cost cutting measure by the Kings.

Reply #651326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be time for JVG to have some KPI's applied to himself by the Kings ownership group. Yet another wasted season on the way (again). Gaze too.

Reply #651327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It speaks to how this team was put together in the first place. The stupidity about Lisch at the point, the lack of a third import, the signing of Singh as a marketing exercise, poor bench depth...it's just been one stupid decision after another. Can't believe that if the whole thing goes pear shaped like it looks like it will that AEG will put up with Gaze or JVG much longer.

Reply #651331 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Can't believe that if the whole thing goes pear shaped, like it looks like it will, that AEG will put up with Gaze or JVG much longer.

I just had to add a couple of commas, to make it easier to read. Good post, though!

Reply #651333 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Thought this was a reasonably good move? Kendle ticks off plenty on my accord:

- fit and ready to play now (been training with Brisbane I think)
- familiar with league
- showed last season he can go
- inexpensive

If Sydney decides they need height and haven't turfed one of the other imports by the time Lisch returns, Kendle is released and the Kings sign someone else for the run home.

Reply #651335 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

When assessing the Kings on the 'F__ked Up' scale, please remember that they had Moose Robilliard coach 2 seasons (the first of which was the all important re-entry in the NBL) then stood him down to be CEO.

All this seems par the course now.

Reply #651336 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

@ben With lots of teams cutting fringe NBA players. Most of the good players wont be available in 8 weeks. Its a rushed and stupid decision by the kings. No way they can compete with United and Perth with that squad

Reply #651342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Yeah to be fair, the previous ownership group takes pole position as the worst bunch of amateurs this league has ever seen. Robilliard is the worst coach in franchise history, closely followed by Heal and the towel waving imbecile. Hasn't been a great 7 years, that's for sure.

Reply #651351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG and the coaches travel to the Us and pick chumps.
Kendle isn't a chump but not the answer.
JVG uses the words "my team" Quote. He's said that openly.
Well guess what Jeff. Time is up.

Reply #651353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The previous Kings organisation were budget organisation, heal got the Kings to the playoffs with a dud team, Connelly did well considering Childress was out most of the season.
The new Kings organisation spend in a week what old Kings spent in season.

Reply #651363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great point re: money. What a joke this lot are, sirely AEG will dumb WrongAgain now.

Reply #651364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great point re: money. What a joke this lot are, surely AEG will dump WrongAgain now.

Reply #651365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trouble is I suspect that the Kings ownership group believe the JVG spin. He does it so well.

Reply #651368 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Ben, Benno has it spot on... Now was the time to pick up the cream of the cut crop, even if the Kings DID go with a PG, at least it could have been a PROPER PG! I'm not sure those boxes are all of what should be ticked for the replacement of Lisch, even though he does tick them...

Another scoring guard that we don't need (we have Cadee and Leslie already) so what's the point? Signing an import of this quality and in that position means that he will just be discarded when Lisch comes back and if he doesn't come back (Gods forbid), he's not good enough to contribute over the course of the rest of the season and then we're stuck STILL without a proper quality big, which has been a serious need all along...

Another stupid decision by people who SHOULD know better... I thought we had finally discarded shit management that could finally have some proper backing behind them to make the right choices and build a team that can make the playoffs and in a couple of years challenge for a championship... But how many new faces this season? How many wrong recruiting decisions? This is just a long line of knee-jerk reactions that will be proven to be a mistake to the detriment of the team and coach and management will spin it again to be "oh, we were so close, but just didn't get there".

Reply #651370 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

JVG is the spin master, he may start to distance himself from Gaze in case a hard decision needs to be made and the owner wants change, JVG will push Gaze out the door to save himself no doubt in that.

JVG would be like Francesco Schettino

Reply #651378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings should have signed an import big instead if Singh. I can handle Lisch at the point if they did that. Gaze actually picked up two good imports in Perry and Travis. Losing Maric and replacing him with Singh is the main issue.

Reply #651380 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Not a great signing!

JVG will distance himself from Gaze because its obvious Gaze & Henare are leading contenders for the worse coach award with daylight in third!

Reply #651382 | Report this post

jumpshot  
Years ago

I didn't realise JK is taking up an import position. JK must be pretty good, cause Gaze and JVG said they were choosing "the best available player", not the "most available player".

Reply #651409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who should know better Wookiee. The clueless gaze or JVG who doesn't know anything about recruiting yet recruits "his side" in his own words.

Reply #651415 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

CJ Massingale just missed the cut

Reply #651417 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Well and good to say the Kings should've waited to see what shakes out of the NBA, but would any worthwhile player from those cuts bite at a two month offer? There would be a competitive market for their services and I'm thinking they'd rather go for something with longer term / more cash.

Agree with anon, main issue here is Singh having replaced Maric causing roster imbalance.

Reply #651428 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So who should know better Wookiee. The clueless gaze or JVG who doesn't know anything about recruiting yet recruits "his side" in his own words.

Yes... If it's as clear as day to a simpleton like me so early on and others here have agreed, then if Gaze sees a side getting recruited that is shit, he should speak up... He shouldn't be talking up a player that is slow, lumbering and complimenting his 1 block or whatever he did... If I can see it, it's really struggling for me to understand how someone can have such a different train of thought that is proving and will keep proving, them wrong...

@Ben - there was discussion about going after a higher profile PG import and then when Lisch came back, keeping the import and moving Lisch to the SG position which is his more natural one... It still leaves the Kings light on up front, but I've been saying over and over again that they should bring back Maric, so that would fix that problem to a degree...

But since they're going with a guard import ANYWAYS they're not able to sign an import big until they ditch another one, or Kendle when Lisch comes back, so if they wait until then, the available players will be the lesser quality that haven't already picked up a gig...

The way they've done it now, is settled for a low quality guard (no offence to Jeremy, but if he was worth a 1st or 2nd import spot, he would have been signed already) which has stopped them being able to pick up a top quality import for ANY position... So why not take a week, demand Cadee, Leslie and Daly step up, go big now and get the RIGHT player and be in a better position in the long run?

Reply #651434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754