Sorry to steal from others but here is my list from tonight

Hot

• The Sixers won and the game was great
  • The big screen's potential
  • The big guys potential
  • Paul Roger's got booed, but probably not enough
  • Half time entertainment

Not
  • The PA System - it sound like anyone who talked was talking with a sock in their mouth, I wanted to come down and slap you music man, but I decided against it
  • The scoreboard - dont know who scored or got fouls - and it was a new computer. During the off season the old 286 from the Apollo was replaced with a brand new computer - it didnt work, it seemed to work fine at the preseason game.
  • Pre-game farce - the video was good, having the lights out was good, but where was the entertainment, I couldn't hear the announcer - see PA bit above, the army dudes didnt come down - not that that would have added much, the follow spot at the North Eastern corner was not bright enough. Was anything else supposed to happen cos what I saw tonight does not exactly count as pre-game entertainment - can I take you to court for false advertising.

A few other points, where is our mascot, the 24-second clock at the eastern end has a broken digit on the southern side. I couldnt hear the 24-second siren, actually I dont remember hearing any sirens.

Some ideas on the screen, run ads for sponsors, sponsors love nothing more than seeing their brand in lights (so to speak). I heard the City Mazda - I managed to hear it despite it being very muffled - why not have the TV ad up on the screen - not sure if you are planing on doing that sort of thing. Running through the players at half time was good, but it would be great to see some stats from the game - perhaps entered into a powerpoint presentation - have the head shots ready to go and insert key stats for each player.

Dont get me wrong I had a great night but the delivery left a lot to be desired. I am willing to put my hand up and help out with a few things even. My email address is [email protected].

Well thats my thoughts on tonights game, I am sure I will got shot down in flames but I am a big enough, and ugly enough to take it.

Topic #4198 | Report this topic

• brazillian wax  
    Years ago

well called - tell it as it is

facts are facts and lets get it right

Reply #48721 | Report this post

ashman  
    Years ago

Forgot one thing and its probably the best bit - the Army band miming the national anthem, I am sorry to everyone around me, but I couldnt stop myself from laughing - I thought it was a Saturday Night Live joke and I was waiting for Ashlee Simpson to come out and join them :>

Reply #48725 | Report this post

yogee  
    Years ago

I thought tonight was a fizzle...the ideas were there, but need fleshing out.

Is that style of intro going to be every week? Hope so...was so much better...would have been great if we could have heard Bonz actually introducing them.

Big screen...why didnt they have the pictures of the guys as they ran out...rather than wait till afterwards?

All of this would be so much better of they fixed that damn sound system. Music sounds fine (apart from some of the girls music which sounds like they taped off the hot 30 on wednesday night on their old radio shack cassette recorder - perhaps sound system issues again?)

BSS seems to be on board now as a sound/vision sponsor...cant they give us new speakers??

The ideas tonight were great, just need more fleshing out.

Reply #48727 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
    Years ago

You guys gotta remember originally they wouldve had another day to iron out some of these problems. Its not an excuse, but it may be part of the problem.

Reply #48730 | Report this post

Thomo  
    Years ago

its a start but i agree with ashman miming the national anthem pathetic

still at least its a start and thats the main thing

Reply #48734 | Report this post

Dana  
    Years ago

I agree with most of comments. I don't know about anyone else, but the biggest disappointment/annoyance for me was the &$*(%)(%#@(!! scoreboard not working yet again. I automatically look at it when pretty much anyone scores and every time I did that tonight, I was reminded that it didn't work & that really p***ed me off.
    I shout, whistle, clap, etc.for most of the game, but not knowing who has what detracts from my enjoyment.
    This is something that is BASIC and should be checked, checked again & rechecked before every game, and certainly the season opener.
    Even when it is working, often the names on the board are not who is on court. That annoys me too, given the number of people on the score bench.
    Good effort to rev things up to Paul Bauer & Co. Maybe a few production problems, but that'll come with practise.
    Well done sixers.
    Paul Rogers deserved the boo for the 'screen' on Willy. But Reesy did a beauty not long afterwards which shows how it SHOULD be done. Funny though!!

Reply #48735 | Report this post

yogee  
    Years ago

Remember, our scoreboard is one of not many around the country that actually gives player scores.

Go to Sydney, or Melbourne and you dont get it.

Reply #48742 | Report this post

Dana  
    Years ago

I didn't know that. Maybe because it's not CLIPSAL powerhouse anymore, the scoreboard doesn't get the attention it needs?
    I guess we've been spoilt by getting player scores? But having gotten used to them for so many years, it's frustrating when they aren't up there.

Reply #48743 | Report this post

Fair Dinkum  
    Years ago

you are hypocrytical wankers go suck yor selfs im pissed and had enuf im a beARCAT GET STUFFED
    F

Reply #48745 | Report this post

EC  
    Years ago

Doesn't matter that its not Clipsal Powerhouse anymore, Distinctive Homes would have many electrical contractors for the houses they build, perhaps they can call one of them down to fix the scoreboard. It is a privilege to have it but when you have become accustomed to it, its very hard to live without.

Reply #48746 | Report this post

supporter  
    Years ago

Dana
    For the record, it is not the scorebench who insert the names for the cube. There is a separate operator for this. The new computer should make this easier and therefore more accurate. It worked perfectly in the practice game.

Reply #48749 | Report this post

Isaac  
    Years ago

My comments:

- the speakers are crap and all are aware. Replacement costs are very, very high. i.e., they need to find an alternative. The AV guy is looking for a way to fix things more efficiently, so hopefully he can pull that off. Unfortunately it made Bonz's improved player announcements hard to hear, etc.

- the screen got installed on Tuesday and I spent last night and this morning throwing together the player screens and the promos re next game, etc. There will certainly be additions to the screen in the future - more ads, we're looking at live replays, I have an idea regarding getting stats up there.

- mascot -- gone, unfortunately.

- the big guys (Navy Seals): I hope people liked these guys. They're big fans. Bizzy, from the Hoops SA leaderboard was out there tonight and other forum posters were also. They're great people and will surely have an expanded role in the future. Good on them for making some noise during Perth free throws, etc.

- player intro screens: yes, they were run a bit late. We'll get them run at the right time next time.

- pre-game: I actually agree in a sense that it was a bit of a fizzle, but in the sense that perhaps peoples expectations were too high? (In my case, I was watching with a critical eye, so couldn't stop to enjoy it!) I look at it as a first step with obvious areas for improvement. Only one thing from a presentation perspective went "wrong" during this period, and it was covered with an effective save (abseiling army guys came down 15 minutes late or something, but ended up delivering the match balls!). I'd like to see the intro video tightened up mostly.

We're looking to add some highlight reels before the game and more promos on the screen. Live replays are being looked at, as well as stats on the screen.

I would say that the next focus will be more on the game itself (quarter time/half-time breaks, etc). The club has now had a chance to run a blackout intro and put a new screen up and get something basic showing on it, so that's a decent foundation.

Reply #48757 | Report this post

Bake  
    Years ago

My only gripe was that the entertainment was advertised as starting at 7.30. I arrived at 7.27 and missed the singer.

Reply #48761 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
    Years ago

As we all know, tonight was only the start of the season, so if the teams performance and the presentation continue to improve, we are in for a great season.
    What was the official attendance?

Reply #48763 | Report this post

Music Man  
    Years ago

Thought i might throw some perspective on the PA system for you.

It is known that the PA needs addressing, the cheapest quote so far to fix what needs to be done is over $400,000.

As a fan i can apprecaite wanting the system to be at its best but also realise that $400,000 at the moment is a huge amount to the club that can be spent on other areas for the greater good of basketball in the state.

Having said that there may be some good news coming as soon as next game so hold on we are getting to it.

Reply #48766 | Report this post

yogee  
    Years ago

Isaac

is the blackout intro now the "norm" or was that a once off trying to hook new people?

Reply #48774 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
    Years ago

Great work to Isaac and co for the replay screen.
    The rest of the pre game ent was average at best.
    I told my friends to get to the game early,gee were they pissed at me!! They kept on saying'is that it?'
    Maybe next time they should hold a practice run through?

Reply #48781 | Report this post

wak  
    Years ago

and my two cents worth...

I haven't been to a game since choosing not to renew season tickets back in 2003, and went there with high expectations.
    The 'staleness' of game presentation, the departure of big names and cost were the reasons I chose to give up my tickets.

Last night it was good to be back and I saw some definite improvements in the 'staleness' of recent seasons that I had attended...

The ticket price was tolerable, having bought 'zone 2' venuetix tickets after reading the hype here, only to discover a sparsely filled stadium. I wasn't to worried about this but I felt a sense of sadness to come back after a couple of years to see all those empty seats.

The presentation was a real improvement with the blackout and floodlights happening, but the 'helicopter' and 'machine gun' sound fx riding over the top I thought a bit inappropriate. How about some drums to get the crowd pumping? (thinking back to U2 concert at Football Park about 10 yrs ago and their opening drum barrage).

Speaking of drums, the Defence Force half time drumming was great. How about using them for introductions instead of the flash back to the tour of duty in Nam?

Nothing like some good percussion to get the adrenaline going - except maybe a plethora of bagpipes!

When I finally realised it was there, the video screen was a welcome addition and this holds alot of potential for future games. The presentation was good to see and I thought well put together, was inspiring.

Another improvement was the music - if there HAS to be music at a game then thank God John Farnham snippets and the like have been turfed. I was really dreading going back to a live game and hearing that old crap regurgitated again. Well done to those in charge, got some inspiring stuff there too.

The game, of course, I also enjoyed - was great to see the team live again. The detraction on that was the crowd - not enough voices, not enough involvement. Can't see them carrying the team over the line in a close one. Hopefully in time this will come with the improvement on presentation.

And the 'Navy Seals' - why this name I don't know, maybe it ties in with the choppers from Nam - were entertaining and hope to see more of that. Can't go wrong with these guys getting more of the spotlight.

The cheerleaders were tolerable - nice outfits - but some of there music was poor. But this I can live with.

What I really found annoying, and I know this has been mentioned plenty of times already, was the poor quality PA system. Could not understand a word that was said! Coupled with the fact the scoreboard wasn't happening really got me going. I found this to be very poor considering the importance of the game and the time during the off season where these issues could have been addressed. I know reasons for this have been addressed already but from my perspective with those in charge trying to lure the masses back, poor organisation re presentation comes to mind. This really detracted from the experience.

And my last gripe, which I thought planted the initial doubt in my mind about the whole show - the lone guitar dishing out a boring, old rendition of that dated Barnesy Khe Sengh. Get with the times guys! This stale opening act really put me on the wrong foot for things to come. Did tie in with the Nam choppers though ... unfortunately. I really can't see who would have thought to put this guy out there right at the beginning to 'rev' the crowd up for the main event. Drums anyone? A bit of fanfare perhaps?

Overall, was good to see the improvements (and the win!) and I can see the potential for future games. Really thought that posters on this forum have been listened to and their 'positivity' acted upon. For those on here that had a hand in it all - good work.

Reply #48788 | Report this post

Kriss  
    Years ago

some good points made BUT it is the first game and NO DOUBT the entertainment will get better!

How about you try and support with ideas instead of stupid comments some people?????

Reply #48794 | Report this post

Isaac  
    Years ago

There's value in these comments whether they're negative or not. Better to know what people didn't like than make assumptions.

The intention was for an army theme night, based around Smyth being The General. Perhaps it wasn't obvious enough. War-style intro song and video, army in attendance, etc. The Navy Seals name spawned from that, and from the fact that some have a bit of blubber and that the colour ties in with the Pura Milk blue of the Sixers.

I'm only one person of 6 or so people putting together ideas for game nights, but I will put my thoughts down yet again. The pumping of a "pre-game show" may have been a wrong decision, but the last thing we wanted to do was to bother getting in spotlights and going through the blackout procedure only for 90% of the crowd to show up at 7:58 and miss it. I think that it might be better to have "Doors open 7:30, Tip-off at 8" but make sure that people are aware that something will be happening in that half an hour, even if it's not Gwen Stefani putting on a 30 minute show (hopeful, but not going to happen!). It could be the dancers, intros, giveaways, exhibition game, etc.

I'd like to see the intros tightened up. Keep most of the intro video with historical footage. Cut out the siren/chopper/guns (this would have seemed far too long to people only because something was supposed to happen in this period and didn't -- oh well, they came good later!) Maybe play that video after player intros during final warm-ups as a precursor to the game?

I think with better sound equipment (on the cards, I believe), the scoreboard working correctly next time (should be feasible!), intros tightened up (possible), more use of the screen (being discussed), and maybe the return of something like the slingshot and so on (easy), nights at the Dome will be a significant improvement on the past, and done very efficiently.

Reply #48799 | Report this post

joshuapending  
    Years ago

Yeah all the problems were pretty big to me and a let down but i'm happy that they are putting in more of an effort and they should get better.

Reply #48802 | Report this post

cavalo  
    Years ago

Issac - I sent an email through to Phil Sanders when he called for constructive feedback etc and told him how I thought the current MC is quite ordinary. Coming from both a basketball and DJ/MC background, I just don't think ke is good enough. I know we have been treated by good MC's in the past (Cozzie? seems to be a favorite?), but he just does not seem to know much about basketball and how to 'talk' or 'communicate' to the crowd. Is he contracted for this season? Is Cozzie available again? Can the current MC be replaced with someone who knows basketball better - hopefully coupled with an improved sound quality from the microphone, this aspect would be critical game nights.

Reply #48805 | Report this post

cavalo  
    Years ago

Issac - I sent an email through to P. S. when he called for constructive feedback etc and told him how I thought the current MC is quite ordinary. Coming from both a basketball and DJ/MC background, I just don't think ke is good enough. I know we have been treated by good MC's in the past (Cozzie? seems to be a favorite?), but he just does not seem to know much about basketball and how to 'talk' or 'communicate' to the crowd. Is he contracted for this season? Is Cozzie available again? Can the current MC be replaced with someone who knows basketball better - hopefully coupled with an improved sound quality from the microphone, this aspect would be critical game nights.

Reply #48806 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
    Years ago

is it possible for the screen to have like a live stream, like a big screen. Maybe just for the live foxtel telecast games.

and the half time marching band went on for like 20 minutes too long. i thought woodville warriors abl team where meant to be presented to the crowd at half time

Reply #48807 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
    Years ago

How about a ska band playing during the night.(e.g "Reel big fish" in the movie BASEketball, obviously just a local band tho) That would be awesome, it would give a cool vibe to the night. and its pretty easy listening stuff mostly, people cant realli dislike the music.

thoughts??

Reply #48811 | Report this post

ashman  
    Years ago

Ska band would be awesome, offer different bands to come and play for free but be able to sell their merchandise to a potential audience of 3-6000 people. I think quite a few bands would be quite interested in that. Get them to play at quarter time, half time etc, down the west end of the court when the stand retracts, retract it back in by a few rows.

Also what has happened to the cheersquad has that died, because I didnt see anything that resembled a cheersquad last night.

Personally I think that the club should give 30 people tickets to the games for free and supply them with some trumpets drums and flags and tell them to go there hardest. I understand that the old cheersquad in previous years had to pay for their tickets - perhaps not the best idea. Maybe the 36ers could even speak to the crows and organise some of the crows cheersquad members to come along and enjoy our great game.

Reply #48816 | Report this post

Thomo  
    Years ago

cheer squad was there but they spent most of the night selling hudson maher foundation bands and doind other volunteer jobs during the night

Reply #48818 | Report this post

Isaac  
    Years ago

There are a few photos online from opening night, including the dancers under spotlights, the big screen, the army band and the guy delivering the match balls by abseiling from the rafters.

Reply #48835 | Report this post

Isaac  
    Years ago

Oh, and the Navy Seals!

Reply #48836 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
    Years ago

Which one's Bizzy?

Reply #48839 | Report this post

Isaac  
    Years ago

The guy with the dreads on the left.

Reply #48841 | Report this post

EC  
    Years ago

I don't get it, was the Blue Seals the result of the search for loud people. I was under the impression that the loud people were to help the cheer squad make a lot of noise throughout the game. Seems I got it all wrong or just focussed completely on the game itself and noticed nothing else. Somebody please explain.

Reply #48842 | Report this post

Lucy  
    Years ago

about the ska post: 1 of the best local ska bands would have to be Travelling Sacks, with their extremely catchy tunes they always put on energetic and overly fun shows, i could organise them to approach the club

Reply #48844 | Report this post

EC  
    Years ago

Another idea for entertainment is in the school holidays when there is a circus in town, it would be good for 1 or 2 acts to be performed at the Dome. They may be willing to do it for nothing as they would be selling their show to the crowd. I can just see it, the lights turned down low and 2 or 3 spotlights focussed on the trapeze artists hanging from the rafers. Clowns would be good also.

Reply #48847 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
    Years ago

You did land, now combine sea and air!

How to do it? Two words: TOP GUN!

Reply #48863 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
    Years ago

Maybe the 'Matt Ryan megamix' could be played at he next match!! Mix together all the songs from his list!!
    The Navy Seals made abit of noise,showing money bags to Rogers!
    Very funny ,stupid funny.

Reply #48879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
    Years ago

Not - more people going to the soccer where NO TEAM SCORED A GOAL!!

Lets face it guys, basketball has a lot of work to do.

Reply #48881 | Report this post

ashman  
    Years ago

I think the NBL needs to run an advert along the lines of, DO YOU WANT TO GO TO A GAME WHERE NO ONE SCORES OR DO YOU WANT TO SEE THIS (in the background have people looking heaps bored) - then have a stack of dunks, big blocks, crowd going crazy etc.

Not a bad idea I reckon.

Reply #48895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
    Years ago

thing is those who go to the soccer aren't bored there is a lot of tactics and exiting moments in soccer.

even if it is a scoreless draw

it has to have excitement - otherwise 11,000 people would not go each week

Reply #48896 | Report this post

EC  
    Years ago

11,000 people who have not explored other more exciting options.

Reply #48898 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
    Years ago

Is the guy in the photo doing the handstand Leith Marston??

Reply #48984 | Report this post

FMJ  
    Years ago

:o

Reply #49035 | Report this post

Doctor E  
    Years ago

The Navy Seals were excellent. The only disappointment was they only got to show off their dance moves once during the game. People didn't seem to know what was going on at first but soon got into it and by the end of their routine they were loving it. Now that people know what they do I think they will be very popular.

The money bags were quality too.

Reply #49052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
    Serio: Tourism photography and videography
    Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:43 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754