Big Ads
Years ago

Josh Childress next Sixers import

Just announced at game

Topic #41996 | Report this topic

XY  
Years ago

Nice if he can stay healthy. Could be a missing piece for a team that is already seriously athletic.

Reply #651980 | Report this post

Joga Bonito  
Years ago

Keep getting them checks Chill.

Reply #651981 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Can't help but think Sydney should have grabbed him once Lisch went down, would have helped their rebounding and playmaking deficiencies.

Adelaide scary good now if he stays healthy, as much talent as Melbourne, Perth and NZ.

Reply #651983 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Told you

Reply #651984 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They are one SCARY prospect now.

Also, I love the fact that it was first announced at the game. Makes you feel special for turning up to the game

Reply #651986 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I like that too.

Nice pickup.

Reply #651987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, manage minutes and he could be guy that puts us over top!!!

Reply #651988 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

NBL's own death lineup:

Shorter
Drmic
Sobey
Childress
Creek

Reply #651989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pick up great team player and humble guy.

Reply #651992 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Great signing for Adelaide if he stays healthy. Happy to see him in the league again, even if it's not with the Kings.

Reply #651995 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Hopefully he has calmed down a bit.

Any ideas what he can still do? Haven't seen him since his Sydney days, Wikipedia says his last stint was Japan and before that d-league.

Reply #651999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Massive signing, well done Sixers!

Reply #652010 | Report this post

Lonzo4Life  
Years ago

Was over on the Nuggets training camp roster and Big 3 league so obviously can still play. Very good pickup for the Sixers imo. Question is, why was Wiggins signed in the first place cos we could have just waited to sign Childress once rosters were finalised instead.

Reply #652017 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

FAAAARRRRRQQQQQQQ

Squeeze him into the Sixers. What a pickup!
And a big Hello to Jesse Wagstaff too.

Reply #652022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How could the Kings not sign him considering they need him the more so than Adelaide!?

Reply #652027 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

How could the Kings do any of the things the Kings do.

Reply #652034 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

How could the Kings not sign him considering they need him the more so than Adelaide!?

The Kings didn't want him, so I'm SO looking forward to him giving them the big middle finger I TOLD YOU SO...

Great signing by the 36ers... Joey finally got his man...

Reply #652076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Adelaide.

and even bigger wow to Sydney for not picking him up again.

Reply #652082 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sydney either caught napping, or Childress not interested in the Violet Crumbles

Reply #652096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He may prefer Crunchies as I do.

Reply #652103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very happy with this signing. Shouldn't have beat around the bush with cheap options to start with. And he must clearly be a great man of character or Big Joe wouldn’t have allowed this signing.

Reply #652107 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

Love the signing, puts us down as a serious contender and gives us that excitement factor.

Reply #652128 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Sixers might now be able to beat Wollongong in the Gong.

Reply #652142 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Wow. At 34 he'e a veteran and might need some management but wow and if he's really fit double wow! So athletic!

Joey's gunna love this!

How many playing minutes could he cope with? Who will have to surrender their court time?

Sixers now have depth with the only weakness being to cover Shorter if he's injured. I think in that case Sobey has to be given more of the main job.

Can't wait to see him in action but so long until next home game.

Loved tonight's game so fast, Sobey on fire!

Reply #652143 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Jack - The moment they went after Ellis, they announced their lack of interest in Chill... Another huge mistake and one that will bite them in the arse...

Reply #652147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Adelaide as well he doesn't have to carry them like he did in Sydney, but when needed he can. To get training camp invite etc his body must be OK, and hearing about his community work in Sydney will be great for us. And I reckon he'll have something to prove, depending on chemistry, have to be title favourites.

Reply #652156 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Title favourites is going too far. But they are in a class of three with Melbourne and Perth.

Reply #652159 | Report this post

Pretty happy with this if he can stay on the hardwood. By all accounts is a real standup guy off the court, and we've seen what he can do on it. His experience will be invaluable to some of the young Aussie talent on the roster too.

Reply #652173 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He had a shock run with injuries when here last but I think he was healthy since being here, and he should be okay on the sixers because he wont be accepted to carry the team on his own, despite the fact he probably could. This is a massive signing

Reply #652178 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

He's as great off the court as he is on it, the 36ers have got a steal, no matter what he cost...

Great team guy, veteran, all-round all-star talent, really capable of pulling a team together... Exactly what the Kings needed, so of course...

Reply #652180 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Game changer for sure! Was not expecting that- Childress wouldn't come cheap.

Reply #652184 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Good pickup if he can stay healthy, but I'm not a fan of this smallball craze patterned after GSW. We don't have the talent in the NBL for outstanding two-way players with perimeter shots to play 4/5. Europe or the NBA have a tendency to nab those guys.

They way we have the game refereed, smaller court dimensions and player spacings are not conducive to this style of play.

Compared to the Kings, at least the Sixers have decent bigs in DJ and Hodgson to switch to a more normal offense if smallball doesn't work.

Reply #652186 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth and Melbourne are - on paper- two of the best teams in NBL history. Now you can add Adelaide.

Reply #652188 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Good pickup if he can stay healthy, but I'm not a fan of this smallball craze patterned after GSW."

NBL teams have been playing this style for a long time now, well before the NBA and Europe, with guys like Jent, Brooks, Timmons, Cattalini, Mackinnon, Freeman, Powell, Barlow, Redhage, Worthington etc all having success at PF here.

Reply #652205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth and Melbourne are - on paper- two of the best teams in NBL history. Now you can add Adelaide."

A team that starts Lucas Walker is one of the best in history?

No.

Reply #652211 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice pickup for the Sixers. He certainly adds all-around talent to the team. The only things that concern me are that he wasn't able to stay healthy for the Kings (18 games in 2014-15 and 13 in 2015-16) and that he isn't a true big man we can rely on to defend the basket when Hodgson is off the floor.

I hope Joey keeps his minutes down and saves him for finals which is when he might really make the difference. For Sydney he was playing 33 plus minutes per game.

Overall I'm pretty excited to see how he fits with this Sixers roster though. I'm happy to see that the Sixers owner hasn't gone with a cheap option this time either!

Reply #652212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Childress was who I was referencing in that other thread where I thought he might overlap with the SF glut, but still be a good signing, handy on the boards, etc. I'd heard he was a chance, so was surprised that the other guy got signed.

Reply #652216 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

NBL teams have been playing this style for a long time now, well before the NBA and Europe, with guys like Jent, Brooks, Timmons, Cattalini, Mackinnon, Freeman, Powell, Barlow, Redhage, Worthington etc all having success at PF here.

I should clarify that the current smallball style I'm referring to is a further recent evolution on using those guys at the 4 paul. We've used 3 or 3/4 tweeners guys for import PFs for a while since we can't afford the bigger fellas.

If anything, we start to see bigger players available within our budget now since the NBA revolution, but we eschewed that and instead we put tweeners to play 5 in Ellis and even Creek.

I can't recall but I wouldn't be surprised if there were instances where Jent was slotted into the 5, but I'm willing to bet that it would be for a very brief period. I can't imagine the Giants starting him against Dorge back then.

Reply #652227 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Now I see what you mean. Still, Brisbane won a championship with Rychart at the 5, Gold Coast played Petrie at the 5, South Dragons used Vukona there as a back-up.

Then there was Wilkinson at the 5 for NZ which is a bit different but still that really offensive C, DJ being similar in Adelaide.

I'm not a fan of what the Kings are doing though, Ellis is alright to play there at times, but to ask him to defend genuine centres from tip-off is strange, especially without another PF at the 4.

I suspected something was wrong at Sydney when Boti echoed lines from them in the off-season that the days of the true centre were over. There have never been so many true centres in the NBL!

I wonder whether JVG thought he was getting ahead of the curve by copying GSW?

Reply #652236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The true 5/NBL situation reminds me of Chris Burgess at the Taipans. True big man who was gone after the first season but stayed for a second as he had signed a two year contract. Left because obviously way more momey abroad for 5s.

Reply #652241 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"so was surprised that the other guy got signed"

Boti's blog post on this states "Childress...was released eigth days ago by the Denver Nuggets...His management renewed talks with the 36ers this week, talks which stalled during the off-season"

Maybe they tried again before Childress was cut by Nuggets and got knocked back before signing Wiggins.

Reply #652422 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Two more sleeps until the 3 step spin move returns hey!

Reply #653082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is now legal Thunder Jam

Reply #653084 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:59 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754