TokotoRulz
Years ago

Tribunal Hearing/Results Discussion

This is all speculation as I have no idea what's happening other than the NBL is looking into it.

Perth Vs Cairns

Tokoto - "headlock" on Weeks
Carrera - Elbow to head of Cooke Jr
Weeks - "Spear tackle on Tokoto".

Outcome guess
Tokoto - Fine/suspended suspension
Carrera - Fine/suspension
Weeks - Fine/suspended suspension

Bullets Vs Hawks
Jervis - unruly physical intimidation
Conger - unruly vocal intimidation

Outcome guess
Jervis - fine
Carrera - fine

Topic #42025 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carrera to write an apology letter. Needs to learn how to do that in cave painting first.

Reply #652869 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bullets Vs Hawks
Jervis - unruly physical intimidation
Conger - unruly vocal intimidation

Outcome guess
Jervis - fine
Carrera - fine

Seems like a pretty bad guess to me ;)

Reply #652875 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

ZING!

Reply #652879 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shouldn't we know the findings by now?

Reply #652884 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Any minute... probably hour now I'd imagine

Reply #652885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually enjoyed it, no harm in letting of a bit steam in the push and shove, hope they don't go to hard on it. As long as no punches or elbows a bit fire is ok.

Reply #652891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There were reportings? Didn't even know.

Reply #652892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL Game Review Panel is reviewing a number of incidents arising from Round 3 of the 2017-18 Hungry Jack's NBL Season.
The panel will look at incidents from the third quarter of the Super Sunday game between the Brisbane Bullets and Illawarra Hawks and the fourth quarter of the clash between the Cairns Taipans and Perth Wildcats.
Under the system players can be subjected to suspensions and fines which can be reduced be accepting an early plea. Clubs have the option of contesting charges at the NBL Tribunal.
The panel will release its findings and charges arising from the games tomorrow once its review is complete."

Reply #652894 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

I hope nothing comes out of it.

I think it adds to the marketability of the league. The league will definitely use the footage to promote future match ups.

A light fine and a slap on the wrist is all that is needed.

Cooke Jr's reaction to it all was the best.

Carrera maybe emotional crazy, but DC has that stare like he's super cray cray.

Reply #652896 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Carrara suspended for one game for an incident the refs didn't even assess a foul on him - after reviewing the incident several times?!?! Spare me

Reply #652898 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Carrara suspended for one game for an incident the refs didn't even assess a foul on him - after reviewing the incident several times?!?! Spare me

Reply #652899 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Michael Carrera - Cairns

Unreasonable contact with the face. Intentional / Medium impact / High = 2 games suspension down to 1 game if accepts early plea
For incident immediately preceding the melee in the 4th Period.
Engaging in a melee / brawl = $500 fine down to $375 if accepts early plea
Jarrad Weeks – Cairns

Engaging in a melee / brawl = $500 fine down to $375 if accepts an early plea
Nnanna Egwu - Cairns

Engaging in melee / brawl = $500 fine down to $375 if accepts an early plea
JP Tokoto – Perth

Unduly Rough Play. Careless / Low impact / High = $750 fine down to $500 if accepts an early plea
Engaging in melee/brawl = $500 fine down to $375 if accepts an early plea

This really begs the question how the supposed two best referees in the league called a common foul on Cooke jr and an unsportsmanlike on Tokoto....

I guess the Wildcats were favoured right LV

Reply #652900 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Wildcats V Cairns

Carrera

Unreasonable contact with the face. Intentional/medium impact/high = 2 games suspension down to 1 if accepts early plea - for incident immediately preceding the melee in the 4th period!

Everyone else gets monetary fines for engaging in melee/unduly rough play.

Reply #652901 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Snooch, I think that demonstrates that the referees messed up not the other way round.

Pretty sure a child could have worked out Carrera was to blame.

Reply #652903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TO me all of the refs in the game who viewed the footage should be repremanded and sent to their local specsavers for eye tests. The NBL picked up exactly the biggest culprits in that brawl - Carairar , Eggwooh and Weaks !

Reply #652904 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This sucks.
Wish they could have just got it right on the day. Suspension should not have been necessary IMO.

Reply #652906 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yep, crazy disparity between what the refs called after reviewing footage vs what the tribunal ruled...

Reply #652907 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

All monies raised goes to the League's Salary Equalisation Subsidy Scheme Fund which is current sitting at zero balance.

Reply #652908 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Isn't the rule an auto USF for anyone being the second one in to discourage this exact situation?

How does Carrera not get a foul yet get suspended ? I've looked at the replay a number of times and am hard pressed to see Carrera make contact, clearly by Cooke's lick the lips reaction he did but gee whiz 2 games and no foul?

Reply #652909 | Report this post

Lost In The Sky  
Years ago

Agree with J, The referees messed up by not calling any fouls on Cairns players.

All three should be stood down for a few weeks for their poor handling of the situation.

Carrera should really be forced to serve that suspension when Cairns next play Perth.

Reply #652911 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Dome rat raising and or throwing it is worthy of a usf alone, contact is not required. At least last time I did a ref course refresh

Reply #652912 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

when did I say it wasn't?

Reply #652914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Carrera deserves a suspension the filthy grub.
The whistle was called, you continued to wrestle for the ball then throw an elbow. Go back to whatever dirty league you came from!

Reply #652915 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How do the umpires with video replay come to their decision but the tribunal come to this.

What a joke

Reply #652916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Dome rat raising and or throwing it is worthy of a usf alone, contact is not required. At least last time I did a ref course refresh"

Correct, J.

You certainly implied it, Dome Rat!

Reply #652917 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

To be clear I am confused how someone who didn't get penalised with a foul has ended up getting suspended for 2 games. I never questioned what a USF was.

Reply #652918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the refs stuffed up.

Reply #652919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it is a lot easier to go through the footage thoroughly when you have all day in a stress free environment than when you have a shitty monitor and are under pressure to get on with the game ASAP

Reply #652923 | Report this post

Henry Snow  
Years ago

So Kickert and Buford got unsportsmanlike fouls but their names didn't come up at the tribunal.... what a surprise.
The refs watched those replays for 15 minutes. I’m not usually one for ref bashing, but that’s incredibly incompintent.

Reply #652925 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Anon two of the supposed best referees failed to apply the rules of the game. There is no excuse for how wrong they got it.

Reply #652928 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Christ alive, what is with the spelling in this thread?

Reply #652929 | Report this post

Henry Snow  
Years ago

Quite ironic that I spelt incompetent incorrectly

Reply #652932 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

There's no way a player should be suspended for that. It's farcical. An usf at the very most - 2 of the most experienced refs in the country thought it was nothing!

Reply #652934 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No penalty on Weeks? He came charging in and tackled Tokoto.

Reply #652937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And those refs got it wrong, snooch. You can't try and hit someone in the face because he out muscled you for a rebound.

Reply #652939 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

spelling aside, I'm really disappointed in the lack of scorching hot takes on this thread.

Reply #652941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pingkodge

Reply #652943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha cairns fans are going apeshit on twitter

Reply #652948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Curry gets $50,000 for tossing mouthguard

Reply #652951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got video footage or want to upload to youtube?

Reply #652959 | Report this post

WillT  
Years ago

League has a big problem with these decisions on the Taipans v Wildcats game.
The League's 2 top refs Vaughan Mayberry & Michael Alyen ( both full time professionals) made decisions after reviewing footage that the Review panel has now deemed as incorrect. This would now seem to put both ref in a situation where the panel has declared a lack of confidence in the refs, and has declared them incompetent. They should be considering their position, look to tendering their resignation. If they do not resign, what penalties will the league impose on them for their sub-standard display. Fines? Suspensions? (A serious talking too).
If i was Cairns in this situation, i would appeal the finding and call both Mayberry & Alyen as witnesses. This would make the league either back the tribunal decision and sack Mayberry and Alyen, or realise they look like idiots and clear the Taipans Players.

Reply #652964 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

That the Tribunal may add penalties to reinforce Referees' on-the-spot decisions I can understand.
But to effectively post-penalise a team, as with the Taipans decision, contrary to the adjudicating Referee assessment, makes no sense whatsoever.
It totally traduces the time-honoured independence and absoluteness of refereeing decisions, and imposes an arbitrary ex-officio process between supporters, players, and referees.
This is League-damaging move that ought be widely condemned.
If you smugly imagine your team has escaped unscathed, you're bloody wrong, pure and simple.

Reply #652967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Aylen and Mayberry really full time now?

Reply #652970 | Report this post

WillT  
Years ago

Another thing to come out of this "incident" is that at least the Cairns Players had each others back, Three of them rushed in to back each other, poor old JP Tokoto looks like he was left on his Pat Malone, maybe the Cats players only talk the talk, and let the refs do the walk.

Reply #652971 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Every sports league reviews video and suspends players according to the rules irrespective of the call made in the game. AFL, NRL etc do it all the time, often when a free kick was not called during the game. Your outrage is misguided and lacking in logic.

"Time honoured" what cliche are you living in? NBA announces publicly if the refs made the wrong call in the last 2 mins, just finding they made not one but two mistakes that cost OKC a game.

The issue here is that our two full time referees looked at replays and royally fu#$*d up the interpretation of the rules. As stated above raising an elbow alone is worthy of an USF.

Post penalise? they won the game, there are consequences for breaking rules, this is one of them.

"League damaging move", no that was only suspending josh childress for one game for a flying elbow as well as the collection of jaw breaking non penalties that happened that year.

Prof leagues do not like fighting, they will penalise it heavily to discourage it.
Frankly I can not understand why you would start shit when you are up 22 against the defending champs with 6 mins to go, you absolutely pulled there pants down then you pull this stunt, why?

Reply #652976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was clear as water that Carrera's forearm to Cooke's face was what started it all. He deservedly received the harshest penalty. What confuses me though, is that the referees, after viewing the tape, deemed him worthy of no punishment yet gave an unsportsmanlike foul to Tokoto.

They have some serious explaining to do - either they were bias, or incompetent. Either way, they should face some sort of repercussions.

Reply #652977 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Even Boti can acknowledge the refs blew it, and he really doesn't like the wildcats "The GRP did seem to reflect the situation in Cairns more accurately than the officials caught up in the heat of the moment,"

Reply #652980 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Aylen really hates the Wildcats, always have always will. Shame that Mayberry didn't want to upset the apple cart (Aylen) but instantly agreeing to what Aylen wanted after watching the video call.

Reply #653004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mayberry is a massive wildcats hater and continually umpires at a very poor standard considering he is full time. The league needs to look further into who they are handing out these full time gigs to and then who is training others because it clearly isn't working.

Reply #653012 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Carrera has been given 2 weeks for that incident.
Lets hope all players appeal the verdicts to embarrass the NBL into making a decision.

And they call this comp HARDBALL. geez

Reply #653016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think all this shows is that every ref can get caught up with the home crowd advantage. I have seen Aylen and Mayberry give favourable calls to the Cats at home so them doing the reverse away from Perth is nothing to be outraged about.

Reply #653022 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

I think everyone should be fired for making a decision that had no impact on the final result of the game........

Reply #653024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not about the impact on the game, a player was elbowed in the face and a mini melee ensued. Standard practice in any sport is to review and hand out the appropriate fines and suspensions.

Reply #653033 | Report this post

Daniel Kickert enjoying a couple of glasses of WHINE on Twitter about these sanctions.

Reply #653047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, that kid doesn't learn.

Reply #653048 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

It was only 2 years ago you could break a mans jaw in the NBL without penalty.

Reply #653057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball.com.au @bball_au
1h

BREAKING | Both @BrisbaneBullets players charged (Gibson and Jervis) have appealed, tribunal set for Thursday morning #NBL18

Reply #653076 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hope that means they can re-visit Jervis role in it all and get it right. He was the "angry man" in that altercation, just like Carrera was in the Cairns/Perth one.

Reply #653077 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

So the next United game with a bit of push and shove will result in fines? Like Hell!!

Reply #653081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find another appeal from higher north as well.

Reply #653083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Cairns should just get used to Carrera missing games this year because it won't be the last time it happens.

Reply #653085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the Illawarra/Brisbane game, Conger copped the biggest penalty. But the video I saw was Jervis push him in the back after Gibson fouled Kay, then Jervis going after him.

Maybe from the charges laid, Conger did something else in the game that made Jervis angry. He seems to have been charged for something that didn't happen in the melee. But does the fact that teh NBL laid lesser charges against Jervis mean that they are accepting provocation means it's OK to look for payback?

Hmmm

Reply #653136 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Hahahahahahaha.
Hahahhaahahahahahahaaaaahahahaaha.

This season just gets better and better.

Reply #653154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I want to subscribe to NBLtribunal.tv

Reply #653161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754