Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 5

Thu 2 Nov 4:00pm Sydney Uni Flames vs UC Capitals
Thu 2 Nov 5:00pm Adelaide Lightning vs Dandenong Rangers
Thu 2 Nov 6:30pm Perth Lynx vs Townsville Fire

Sat 4 Nov 12:00pm UC Capitals vs Sydney Uni Flames (Live on Fox)
Sat 4 Nov 4:00pm Bendigo Spirit vs Melbourne Boomers

Sun 5 Nov 1:00pm Townsville Fire vs Adelaide Lightning

Mon 6 Nov 4:30pm Melbourne Boomers vs Dandenong Rangers

Topic #42074 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

lightning really 5pm advertised as 7pm and as 7.30 pm. I am confused just when do I need to show up?

Reply #654405 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Shit ... sorry!!

I've inadvertently pulled a timezones of Australia violation.

WNBL.com.au formatting is a pain to copy & paste from, so I did it from the fixtures in the Basket Case tipping comp instead, but mine are set up for WA time.

ACTUAL ROUND 5 FIXTURE:

Thu 2 Nov 7:00pm Sydney Uni Flames vs UC Capitals
Thu 2 Nov 7:00pm Adelaide Lightning vs Dandenong Rangers
Thu 2 Nov 6:30pm Perth Lynx vs Townsville Fire

Sat 4 Nov 3:00pm UC Capitals vs Sydney Uni Flames (Live on Fox)
Sat 4 Nov 7:00pm Bendigo Spirit vs Melbourne Boomers

Sun 5 Nov 3:00pm Townsville Fire vs Adelaide Lightning

Mon 6 Nov 7:30pm Melbourne Boomers vs Dandenong Rangers

Reply #654410 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@WNBL

PLEASE NOTE: There has been a time change to @AdelLightning vs @JaycoRangers tomorrow night. Tip off is now at 7pm local time in Adelaide.

Reply #654412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks!

Reply #654422 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Any team or injuries news? Are we expecting the likes of Ebzery and Williams back for their respective teams?

Reply #654460 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Heard Williams is a strong chance for tomorrow night and quite sure I heard Cheryl Chambers last Sunday @Dand use the words "(Ebzery) left out as a precaution." So not sure whether all that tranlates into those two playing and whether or not strained ankle ligaments are normally mended in five days?

Reply #654464 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

... Jarry is cleared to play and also if Williams returns it would mean Schwagmeyer can't play (unless residency sudddly has come through). Laney's injury flared up after a session, just when she was a strong chance to play last game, so she'll be a watch.

Reply #654465 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

... Elsworthy out two weeks with a broken nose, although Seekamp & Clydesdale obviously have the mins covered.

Reply #654466 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Great reporting, thanks Ash.

Yeah hopefully Williams gets up. Schwagmeyer's PR also answers why Perth were going into the season with 9 people. From the paper article, it sounds like she'll get it "soon"

Reply #654468 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I think Megan Hustwaite said on the WNBL show that Williams was a 10-21 day injury and their round 5 game will be around 12 days post injury, so definitely in with a chance to return. iirc she also said Ebzery had a grade 2 sprain, if that's the case then I wouldn't be surprised at all if she missed this weekend too.

I'm looking forward to getting my first look at the Caps this season, how odd that Sydney/Canberra play each other twice in the same round though. I can't help but think Sydney will go 2-0 there, especially if they have Ebzery on the floor. If the Caps can't at least split the weekend IMO they'll have fallen a bit too far behind and will be out of the playoffs picture.

I have a feeling the Spirit may be a danger game for Melbourne especially if they can't turn their form around and get a bit more scoring going. Same goes with the derby although both sides generally turn it up for that one so it should be a great contest.

Reply #654470 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Yeah if the Spirit are to win against the Boomers then it's this match. Only one match this week, off a good break and the Boomers don't exactly have the best away form this year for some reason.

Tough to back them though.

Reply #654474 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Hey Melbfan,

Where can I see the WNBL Show? I couldn't find it on youtube or the main WNBL site.

Reply #654548 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The WNBL Show

Basket Case

Great news - the Sydney Uni Flames are live streaming again :)
Tonight's game vs Canberra

Fox Sports Live

Reply #654549 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

The WNBL Show is also available as a podcast if you search it in the podcast app :)

The Boomers haven't had the best road record for a few seasons now, wouldn't have a clue why

Reply #654634 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Great we get another live match. So thanks to Sydney for that. Sucks that they are the only ones able to afford to jump through all of Fox's hoops to get a stream running.

Reply #654643 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I don't get why Hooper is coming off the bench, IMO the Caps look so much better with her on the floor. 3-17 shooting isn't pretty though, I think it'll be a long weekend for them unfortunately.

Reply #654655 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ebzery got the start and is looking good. 6 points & 3 boards in the 1st Q, and the Flames already have a sizeable lead.

Reply #654656 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yikes, I think that play there just about summarises the Caps.. Jarry had the match up against Walmsley in the post but Scherf goes it herself and gets blocked by Hamson. 4th block by her early in the 2nd is pretty impressive!

Reply #654659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry is doing a great job complaining about every call so far.

Reply #654661 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Magbegor says NO

Reply #654664 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Great to see Ezi in the league for the first time - she's doing a great job out there so far!

Reply #654669 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Forget the basketball, that Flames mascot is hilarious! Can we have a little side cam for him/her!

Reply #654672 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I'd give the MVP to that band. They seem to flip between earnest and lackadaisical. Awesome

Rangers announcing themselves this season. Mijovic is hacing one of her hot games, going to be hard to stop.

Reply #654675 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Commentators curse? I say that and Adelaide go on a 10-0 run to take the lead back :D

Reply #654676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry is hot garbage

Reply #654679 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Some game by Sara Blicavs there - 15 points, 9 reb, 8 ast, 6 stl! Another overtime thriller, it's great that Dandy can get the job done when its tight though. Did Mijovic get injured? Only played the 18 mins and didn't come back on after midway through the third..

Williams is back in the starting lineup for Perth, it'll be interesting to see how that game goes.

Reply #654702 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

How about the statement being made over in Perth, I'm shocked at that scoreline.

Reply #654712 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Kunek taking the mantle over from Mijovic last season. Raining threes.

Huge win by Dandenong. They had to come back against a strong Lightning. Both them and Lynx making sure they're not out of the finals race.

Capitals really need to win their home leg of the Sydney double to keep up.

Reply #654714 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

Townsville looking like a repeat of last season imo.. stacked with talent but light on for hunger .. not surprised they're getting their asses handed to them after two straight wins

Reply #654715 | Report this post

Years ago

big win for Rangers - I reckon spots will be decided by splits at the end of the season - so balanced.

Reply #654719 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Wonder if the Fire will play any D in the 2nd half. Most of those 8 threes were wide open.

Reply #654720 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That'd be a yes

Reply #654725 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Nice win Perth.

Kunek has really hit some form and gone under radar.

Will be interesting to see how Townsville bounceback. Adelaide shouldn't need be going easy here either

Reply #654728 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Could nearly see it coming, Pickem, with Suzy preseason talking up how deep they were.

Reply #654732 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very nice win yeah :)
Townsville will be kicking themselves for that lacklustre first half though. I thought they were the better team in the 2nd.
Perth bring so much energy that if you don't match it, you can fall behind in a hurry. It's great to watch.

Reply #654733 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I'm pretty impressed by Perth holding on to that lead, it looked like the Fire came out of the break with a point to prove, but they just pushed it right back out. Kunek definitely is having a ripper of a season, I think she's actually leading the league in 3PM and is shooting them at 50% too. To be honest I thought she'd get a bit lost in a team that has Whitcomb, Williams and Standish but she's proven me wrong there.

Just looking at the overall team stats, the Fire and Boomers are the only two teams scoring below 70PPG. IMO that's not going to cut it come playoff time, especially if their defence isn't up to scratch. In terms of their scoring they have Suzy, Cayla when she's switched on and then well not much else. Also another interesting one is that the Boomers are sitting last for RPG at 35.86, I have no words for that one to be honest..

Also is Mia Murray injured? it looks like she's having a shocker of a season by her standards.

Reply #654762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers just like to shoot

Reply #654773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek has found herself in a team that want to shoot with a coach that doesn't stop them... good and bad about that but it suits Kunek at the moment
Molloy stifles players with his coaching style.... and Boomers are all about Cambage

Reply #654776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage is all about me. No role model
For the young kids following the boomers.
Sooks it up to many times. Boomers need to
Pull her in line but they can't beca she has her
Own rules. Love to no her tech count. I think she
Would be leading the league in that stat.

Reply #654781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^unfortunately Cambage has always been "all about me" nothing will ever change that... so you either have to learn to deal with it or not put her in your team... at her height most coaches initially will say they will live with it... eventually though it has to wear thin
Agree no role model which is a shame after all
The hard work Boomers put in promoting the women's game, though the hype tends to blind people of the bad attitude sadly

Did she get more techs last week , only know of the ones in her first game when she was ejected lol

Reply #654794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Perth last night and they were impressive. Wilson and Cox were so stressed by the speed of Whitcomb and Williams. Batkovic was her usual professional self but George well she was lazy and her attitude was bloody awful. Back chatted coach and sulked. Big challenge for Brassard there controlling such a massive ego.
But it was a great spectacle to watch, Perth when they are on are exciting

Reply #654810 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

When I watched Perth play Melbourne at SBC it like an imaginary line had been drawn down the middle of court and for the entire night Williams was prohibited from entering the West half and Whitcomb prohibited from the east. Does it still look like that?

Reply #654818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To a degree they have structure in offence but they generally hunt the ball aggressively in defence and attack whoever has the ball. Williams strip of Newley was special

Reply #654836 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think there's anything too unique about the way Perth try to space the floor on offence, so yeah, a lot of the time the result will be Courtney & Sami on opposite wings.

A couple of news bits I just came across

The Spirit will regain import forward Betnijah Laney after a minor knee injury kept her out last week but Laney will be on a minutes restriction as the team has a game next Thursday night.

O'Hea was expected to test out her calf and could return. If she returns this round it is unlikely she plays both Saturday night and in Monday night's Melbourne Cup eve showdown with Dandenong Rangers.

Source:
Bendigo Spirit coach puts heat on his starters as Melbourne Boomers come to town

Reply #654870 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Good that O'Hea is a chance to return this weekend, hopefully that will fix up a lot of the Boomers' issues.

Reply #654889 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I think there was discussion here around the time about the two together on the court getting sorted, Luuuc? Of coarse it's little different to Conneticut's track meets with Courtney and Jasmine Thomas on opposite sides. Was just wondering if it still looks as strict as it did that night.

Reply #654890 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

I'm tipping Boomers will struggle with "look at Me Cambage". How did she get a leadership roll? Can you see her encouraging the younger players, Yeah Right.
When you rely on one player and they don't perform, its too late to ask other players to step in when the coach has no confidence in you.

Melbourne must have spent double the amount on players compared to other clubs.
We'll see if it can buy you a Championship?

Reply #654902 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Cambage isn't performing in terms of her stat sheet outputs - she's averaging a touch under 20pts/10reb per game and is sitting at 55%FG. In terms of her attitude/behaviour on court, well yeah probably not ticking the boxes there.

IMO it's the other players who aren't stepping up due to Liz and/or the style of game they're implementing around her. Cole, Garrick and O'Hea are well, well down on their usual/expected scoring output this season, but at least O'Hea is really hitting the boards when she's actually fit to play.

The Boomers are apparently announcing a new signing on Wednesday, who will suit up for their first game against Canberra on the 18th. I'd assume it'd be an injury replacement import for Duever if the player won't be able to play until the following round.

Reply #655040 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

18th is a TV game. vs Canberra.
I'm tipping it will be a sellout.

Reply #655042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra have a better roster than the performance I've seen on the court.

Hooper, Bass and Magbegor off the bench is depth most teams don't have.

The consistent injuries to Jarry seems to have affected her development. Her skill level hasn't really improved since her early days in the league. Relies heavily on effort and athleticism although the athleticism seems to be middle of the pack in 2017.

Reply #655056 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Much better performance this half from the Caps. Two points up and a good chance to take revenge. Surely Hooper's form deserves a starting gig.

Reply #655060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ebzery is completely frustrating to watch as she is ball dominant pg that almost dribbles the air out of the ball on every Flames possession! Flames look better offensively when Ebzery is on the bench & Walmsley is the PG spot, at least the moves & swings on the offensive end. Watching Ebzery play makes the game of basketball look difficult!

Reply #655061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry is in Asia's head! Moffatt & Graham's time is done in the WNBL surely?

Reply #655062 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Taylor is a great player but she needs to shelve the 3 point shot until she can hit more than 20% of them.

Good tough contest today. I'm enjoying this one.

Reply #655063 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

To be fair Ebzery is a more natural SG, but I agree Sydney's offense is extremely frustrating to watch. This is turning out to be a better game than I had anticipated pre-game.

Reply #655064 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ebzery not that out of position, she has played pg in Europe.

Speaking of point guards, how would we rate the 8 starting PG in the WNBL this year?

Reply #655065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia seems to be coping fine with Jarry by the looks of stats

Reply #655066 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She may have played there for a shirt while but it's clearly not her ideal spot IMO

Reply #655068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asia Taylor prob the mvp leader at this point of the season.
Not really a good matchup for her in the wnbl.

Reply #655069 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Only thing that can stop her is dirty play

Reply #655072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry you scumbag, what a dog act foul. Should be ejected from the game!

Reply #655073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah also because the refs don't call Taylor's shoulder drop, same with Batkovic and her elbows. I hate when refs don't call elbows in any league that's how you get concussions.

Reply #655074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it possible for Sydney to bring in another import during this season due to Tahlia Tupaea getting injured while in Opals camp?

Reply #655075 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Taylor owns Capitals in the last half.

Shame it couldn't be closer, as someone said earlier Capitals seem to have decent depth but just not the star quality the Sydney Flames have. They're going to be fighting off with Bendigo to avoid the wooden spoon unfortunately.

Reply #655076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarry looking frustrated and it is dragging down her play

Reply #655077 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Agree, Asia Taylor would have to be MVP frontrunner right now.

Reply #655082 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Let's go $pirit!
Looks like O'Hea is still out so they're a chance.

Reply #655188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spirit leading by 14 at the half

Reply #655199 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cambage on 3 PFs including 1 tech

Reply #655200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage has got a tech in multiple games

Reply #655203 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

She's from the Joey Wright school of inspirational leadership

Reply #655204 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

What the hell, Bendigo? :/
They scored their first basket of the 3rd quarter in the final 10 seconds of it.
14-3 quarter: Ugly.
They still have a 3 point lead though.

Reply #655212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 3 point quarter from Bendigo? Come on!

Reply #655213 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cambage fouls out in the opening minute of the 4th.

Reply #655214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stream available?

Reply #655215 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Still got up in OT after Cambage FO v Perth.

Reply #655216 | Report this post

Doulbe Dribble  
Years ago

She fouled out in the last minute.
Not the first minute.

Reply #655218 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Mid OT, when it even or behind a couple - something like that. But yeah ...

Reply #655219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the Liz leadership school of thought. I'll make sure I'm out of the game to fire up the rest of the team. Its quite inspirational.

Reply #655220 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Yeah, your right

Reply #655221 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

She needs to prepare for DJ at the Melbourne Cup

Reply #655222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone got a score? WNBL site down

Reply #655225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bendigo win by 5

Reply #655227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone on the Melbourne bench got teched up in the last minute - was it the ejected DJ herself?

Reply #655229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy Molloy is a smart man but let his team down appointing such an individual as a leader. If she was 183 cm and not 203 she wouldn't get a game of tiddlywinks

Reply #655230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this Molloys last season?

Reply #655231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liz will be Liz although I think most teams would add her to the roster if they had the chance.

Big turnaround from Geelong a few weeks ago.

Reply #655233 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

The Melbourne board let the fans down by appointing Molley.
Who gives a loosing record coach another 2-3 years?

Reply #655237 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Well done Bendigo it was always going to be their best chance to win and they capitalised.

Boomers indeed look shaky without Ohea.

Reply #655238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Molloy got handed a 3 year deal prior to last season, so it looks like the Boomers have another year of him next year.

Reply #655241 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Not surprised about that one, if the Spirit were ever going to get Melbourne it was in that game tonight. Though I am surprised they did it with Griffin on 13 points and Laney on 9.

I suspect this loss will give them the kick up the bum they needed though - I'm looking forward to Monday night.

Reply #655243 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Melbourne has lost their last 3 games and only beat Perth in overtime by 2 points.
They need a rocket up their ass, not a kick up the bum.

Reply #655268 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Spirit six blocks to one was good, Grffin with five of them.

Reply #655273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 of them on Liz

Reply #655276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers signing Molloy forba further three years at the end of last season was just crazy, and by the looks of it theybwill be regretting that decision.
As for Liz, why they have not pulled her into line by now leaves you wondering just what the Boomers board actually do. And having her as a "leader" reflects very poorly on what they try to portray as an association.
All they seem to want though is the hype, but they can't provide the substance, their last marketing pitch was naming Boomers as Melbournes elite WNBL team, they play out of the state centre in Wantirna, not Melbourne, they seem to have forgotten Rangers are also a "Melbourne " team lol.

Reply #655296 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

LOL @ Double Dribble, true that, true that...

IMO the Boomers are straying from that identity of being a family club that they built through the Bulleen/early Melbourne days.

Reply #655336 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Apparently Kelsey Griffin has a hip injury coming out of last nights game - hopefully it's not too serious as they have a tough double next week of Sydney and a trip to Townsville.

http://www.bendigoweekly.com/news/spirit-withstand-dramatic-finish-for-second-win

"Betnijah Laney made a welcome return from injury for Bendigo, but a hip complaint for Kelsey Griffin is Bendigo's most pressing concern.

"It was fantastic to have Betnijah back, she wasn't at 100 per cent," Pritchard said.

"I think our bigger issue is Kelsey is really labouring with an injury and we'll have that assessed but it doesn't look very good.""

Reply #655338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Katie Ebzery is no Leilani Mitchell that is for sure!

Reply #655362 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Definitely agree, but realistically is there any Aussie that could replace Leilani? Unfortunately for them the timing of Tupaea's injury doesn't help in that Ebzery has to play almost all of her minutes in PG. If I were building their roster though, I'd see the benefits of having both Taylor and Hamson with Ebzery in PG outweighing those of dropping one of their imports to bring in an import PG who would be equivalent or superior to Leilani.

Reply #655370 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lightning, u in trouble girl
:O

40-13 mid way through the 2nd

Reply #655414 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah coach must be tearing his hair out. None of the starters positive efficiency wise so far.

Reply #655420 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Wow, that's just a nasty score line for Adelaide.. The OT & travel must've caught up with them.. You're never going to win a game when shooting at 27%, out-rebounded by 20 and making 21 turnovers. Yikes.

Reply #655432 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Not a good week for Adelaide at all. Back to the pack.

Reply #655438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Fire had to travel further than Adelaide did this week so you can't use that excuse. Adelaide were taken out of everything they were comfortable with. Adelaide seemed unprepared for the Fires game plan.

Reply #655440 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Happy dreams of Titanium Security Arena seem distant.

Reply #655462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still getting my head around that 42 point total. spirit scored 43 in a quarter a few weeks ago!!

Reply #655509 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

@joelbpeterson
Enormous loss for the Spirit. Griffin scheduled for surgery this week. Will miss the remainder of the @WNBL season. #WNBL18

Wow, that is absolutely shattering for Griffin and the Spirit. It really is tough to see Bendigo getting too many more wins this season without Griffin.

Reply #655542 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Also no O'Hea again for the Boomers tonight. I can see them coming out fired up after the Bendigo loss, but I think they'll need really good four quarter games from Garrick, Cole and Smart as well as keeping Cambage out of foul trouble to come away with the win.

Reply #655543 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That's awful news about Griffin :(

Reply #655546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree terrible news for Griffin and Bendigo , she was an important part to their i court success

Tonight should be a ripper , between rangers and Boomers, wonder how long Cambage will last without a tech lol

Reply #655555 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Bendigo probably need to sign another player who could back up the 3/4 spots as realistically if they keep Karatiana in that starting 5 and put Laney in at 4 they've only got Gabe coming off the bench and to a lesser extent Rolph. So realistically they're looking awfully slow or very, very small in those two positions. There aren't too many WNBL proven bigger players out there, really the only name I can think of would be Kelly Bowen but she's probably a bit undersized to be a PF as well.

Reply #655558 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Interesting when it might have happened, because Griffin's obviously dominated the entire last term.

Reply #655561 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

I'm betting that she has one before half time.
How can you take young players to a Melbourne game and then try to explain why Liz is getting so many technical fouls.
Thw WNBL MUST be embarrassed about her poor display because nothing is mentioned about her tech fouls and how it impacts the teams performance.

Reply #655643 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

I keep changing who I think will win this match. If O'hea was back it'd tip the scale to Boomers but gee with Dandes form they could be took good here even though Boomers should have the quality to beat em.

Reply #655656 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Melbourne is going in with a slightly different starting 5 to previous games - Smart being replaced by Tomlinson - interesting move given Smart has been one of the few scoring well for them in the past few weeks..

I agree, without O'Hea the Boomers look a shadow of their early season selves. Should be a cracker of a game nonetheless!

Reply #655702 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Lavey hasn't been that effective this season from what I've seen

Reply #655710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage 3 fouls half way in the second

Reply #655718 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The flakiest team in the WNBL does it again. Rangers snatch defeat from the jaws of victory via a 9-23 4th quarter. Cambage 13 points in the 4th and a blocked shot to kill the game.

Reply #655742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Lavey makes opals... something seriously wrong with BA.

Reply #655745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

point guard depth chart
Mitchell
Mansfield
Hurst
Clydesdale
Lavey

Reply #655746 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Garrick putting up 1/12...single figure quarters from both sides?

Weird game

Reply #655750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell, Mansfield and Wallace will be the 3 opals imo.

Lavey unlikely to ever play for opals again.

Reply #655751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again an embarrassing display of behaviour from Cambage, why is this type of behaviour from her being tolerated by the league, Boomers clearly just sweep it under the rug, instant damage control mode tonight to get the crowd chanting rather than the boos that were being given out when she kicked of yet again over a call, her flagrant throwing of the elbows, and acting in the key...Christ she looks like she going for an Oscar nomination.
How is she a role model for anyone, as a Boomers fan, I'm almost tempted to get rid of my membership, why are they not pulling her into line.so much great work done to rebuild the Boomers, and this brat undoes it all in one foul swoop.

Reply #655761 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Devastating choke, Rangers. That really should have been a win.

Reply #655771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that wasn't a choke that was a combination of fatigued players and ones who just were not having the best night ...Anderson really needs to have some faith in her bench , surely they are capable of playing some minutes, if some are not switched on for that particular game sit them down and give your bench players a chance, how else will they develop and lets face it they couldnt have done any worse than a some of them did last night, or at least use them to enable your main players to not be so darn tired in that 4th 1/4.

Why the heck is Palua not starting, sorry but Lavey looks so out of her depth most of the time in every game, with the exception of the odd 3 she hits Rangers really , agree with others shes not Opals material at all.

Reply #655779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick gets 37 min on 2 points and not much else. She has been blessed to play for boomers because she wouldn't get that luxury anywhere else. No depth at Melbourne means no chance to win championship

Reply #655780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Garrick had a job to do Last night and that was to shut down the Blicavs girls... she was always on one of them, think she's more value fior money than Cole.

Reply #655781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is this person who keeps going on and on about Cambage not being a role model for the kids? If you're relying on a professional athlete to be a role model for kids just because they happen to be good at sport maybe rethink a few things.

Reply #655782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Role model expectations stem from how that club tries to portrait itself and it goes for all players not only for Cambage. People bought it, club is exposed, people questioning it.

Reply #655785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#785....

exactly right, when anyone is pushed into the public gaze and portrayed as something young ones should/could aspire to be like, thats giving them up as a 'role model'....this is what Boomers (& the league frankly as they have pushed Cambage into the spotlight to entice more interest into the sport) are doing.

Do we really need more disrespectful kids out there on the courts wanting to be like Cambage?, not only being abussive towards to refs , which all players can and do sometimes do when they complain about a call, they are human and its not unthinkable, but she heckles the crowds...you never ever saw the likes of Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor, Kristy Harrower , in fact I dont recall any other basketball player, not even in the men I dont think behaving like this.
Kids like to emulate those they look at as 'sports icons', Boomers want to be a 'family'club, they get hundreds of kids to their games, so I agree shes not a great ambassador for anything other than a 'spoilt brat'impersonator. Time they did something about it.

Reply #655793 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Boomers derby comeback was obviously impressive, but the best thing was this:

in front of a club record crowd of 3157

That is fantastic.

Source

Reply #655794 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LJ used to drop F-bombs everywhere and rack up techs. Ultimately she was a fierce competitor and that's what she was remembered for. Liz would obviously benefit from being mentally tougher, but this role model posturing here is over the top. It's pretty clear that it's personal for this poster.

Reply #655796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it was a sellout?

Reply #655816 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm guessing not, since that would have been mentioned somewhere.
Must have been close though. Stadium capacity appears to be 3200?

Reply #655818 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Not a sell out, but very close to - I'd say the only seats with visible emptiness were about two thirds of the back half dozen or so rows of seating. Great for women's basketball! Now the real test is to see how many of those 3157 sign up for memberships and/or return in the future.

I also wonder how much longer the league will be able to play out venues like SBC/Dandenong etc - I hope for the sake of the league it isn't long before either more seating is required or they can play out of Hisense etc.

Reply #655855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luuuc... I've posted a comment further up re Cambage and her attitude and it's not personal at all, wouldn't care who it was , the behaviour towards to crowd and the refs last night was appalling

And it was very obvious the crowd were not impressed either with the booing that went on

Why is it if anyone points something out about her it Has to be personal , can it not be a general observation?

Reply #655877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diana Taurasi leads the wnba in techs every year.

Complains to refs constantly.

Doesn't take constant heat for being a poor role model.

Reply #655883 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Why is it if anyone points something out about her it Has to be personal , can it not be a general observation?

It's a perfectly valid observation. I agree with it. She'd do better if she was mentally stronger. She'd do better with the refs, and she'd also not let opponents know that they're getting to her - which only further encourages them.
I'm just not sure I buy the role model stuff. She's there to play basketball, not to be everyone's favourite.

Diana Taurasi leads the wnba in techs every year.
Complains to refs constantly.
Doesn't take constant heat for being a poor role model.

She does from me to be honest. Not so much for the techs, but when she spits the dummy and stands around arguing over a non-call instead of getting back and playing defence then that's a real on-court problem. That must piss off her teammates as well as the coach/fans/refs.

I get that Liz is polarising. She is for me too. I just thought the harping on about being a role model for the kids was getting a bit too precious.
Anyway, it's good for the league to have some villains ;)

Reply #655894 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

All players involved in professional sport are there to be role models to some degree or another. How much they choose to do so and whether they take a more active approach is entirely up to them

However any point goes from "general observation" to "personal vendetta" when the same person/anon is repeating the same thing week in week out. You've made your point, we get it.

If the issue really is as big as the person that's beating on about it thinks, then it wont be long until the media picks up on it.

Aus sports bubble may not care about women's sport, but it does care insanely about any sort of controversy and she fulfils the Olympics/national squad profile too.

Reply #655903 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

I agree, her behaviour doesn't really coincide with what the Boomers are trying to market themselves as - but it is clear now that nothing is going to be done with it. To be honest, if I were a club I'd probably try and sweep it under a rug too, to have a player who can basically single-handedly games, as shown last night, is very, very hard to find (particularly in Aus). If she could keep her head together I have no doubt she'd be up there in the conversation of the greatest players of all time.

That's probably partly the reason she does it - she can get away with it. If the kid at the end of the bench getting junk time minutes acts up like that they'll get their marching orders pretty damn quickly.

The league clearly approved of her efforts giving her this week's POTW (though to be honest I'd have chosen Asia Taylor, Cambage definitely deserved to be at least in the TOTW for her game last night)

Reply #655908 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I would have given it to Taylor as well. More points, more rebounds, and more wins.
Interesting decision.

Reply #655923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we all think the same about her. If she actually applied herself she would be unstoppable but like everyone she has a weakness. Hers is her head and the subsequent attitude that flows from it. Shame though, as what she is capable of is frightening but she is running out of time. Last quarter was a glimpse but her head stops her from delivering this more often.

Reply #655932 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Definitely, that and I felt that the Boomers would've won against Bendigo had she been on court for the whole game instead of fouling out in the first minute of the fourth. Whereas Taylor heavily contributed to Sydney getting those two wins on the weekend.. Very weird indeed.

TOTW for mine would be Taylor, Cambage, Kunek, Batkovic & Sara Blicavs for her game vs Adelaide. Snell, Hamson and Williams probably up there in contention for that final spot as well.

Reply #655935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All players involved in professional sport are there to be role models to some degree or another. "

All professional athletes are there to be fucking professional athletes.

Reply #655963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All players involved in professional sport are there to be role models to some degree or another. "

Yes they do, and they need to conduct themselves as professional, not spoilt kids chucking a tanty.

Reply #655973 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Angry Anon,

Anyone in the public sphere be it sports, media, politics can be a role model it's not something with a box to tick to opt out of. How far they take it or what they wish to do, is entirely up to the person but they're still role models if they're doing something children can watch and look up to.

Unrelated note, aren't the Boomers making a signing today or did I read that wrong?

Reply #655974 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Yeah the Boomers are making an announcement at 12.30 today - though listening to Guy Molloy's press conference I'm sort of thinking the player may not really be what everyone is expecting.. He talks about how the Boomers are partnering with Maddie Riewoldt's Vision (I believe the game the player is meant to be first suiting up in is the MRV game) and how the signing is 'different' and in conjunction with that.

Sort of makes me think it'll be one of those two day contract type signings given to sick kids - like the one the Perth Wildcats did last week.

Reply #655976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin Phillips on a short contract?

Reply #655978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This. Children's role models should be their parents not pro atheletes most who aren't even mature as people yet.

Reply #655998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

melb fan seems you were correct, a 2 day signing for a child it is

Reply #656026 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Oops, I guess someone lost their cool on role models here.
To say that being a major draw card to a club should have some attachments, eg, speaking at special events, going club meetings and how you display yourself on court would and should be a KPI.

Liz's last game she did not foul out and they won the game. That's what should happen. No point getting her then she fouls out.
She is the pillar of the team, without her the team doesn't score enough points.

Reply #656028 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/MichelleCoulingPhotography/photos/a.1491351810953574.1073742010.315457861876314/1491368827618539/?type=3&theater

Reply #656033 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Some great shots from Spirit - Boomers here:

https://www.facebook.com/MichelleCoulingPhotography/photos/ms.c.eJxFUtltQDEI26jCXIb9F6ugj~;TX8oUTeHUoKO7ZjfrBAuoLlH8AkgEYpeQDpDhA5scQhrHEH4BeSfJfkjUMC~;sk7eFOwO1iRTe28pNEbiz685AsjMSFL3Y9zD4PUGqb~_jG614N5PcCRSONJOKZiOElJjqS9T1JbXS9FSjdW095AHA8HPkCxA4W9CbHFYC~;F9xa9ptDW8WDnq95bPfKdr4CV8GIhuZsijsH8Y1x1sx6GlB4Q25R2TacajGonoW0Pu1hYL8Oir5hgTEO~;TVVqTUXO1CEbi3~_AC4g~;D10PXKxzfpD1fbpZcACNe7nOnhScRCh7HKHvlhpG8CQR~_7Zh~;AUmOpfZ.bps.a.1489505604471528.1073742009.315457861876314/1489521704469918/?type=3

Reply #656034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boomers are the lowest scoring team in the league
scary to think what they would do without liz

Reply #656036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scary to think what they would do if she got the ball in the low block rather than above the foul line more often than not. Last quarter saw her get the ball where she was most effective.

Reply #656040 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Ah, cool story for the child and Boomer, but do think perhaps should qualify their announcements when it is know they're looking for an import.

Reply #656050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its all for publicity, its like their preseason 3600mc crap, typical Boomers lol, but credit to giving this kid a great adventure thats for sure

Reply #656056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope you're are going off on Bogut and a good deal many of the boys for not being role models for the kids. But I'll wait, I know you aren't.

Reply #656150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anyone in the public sphere be it sports, media, politics can be a role model it's not something with a box to tick to opt out of. How far they take it or what they wish to do, is entirely up to the person but they're still role models if they're doing something children can watch and look up to."

LJ cursed more than any player I've ever heard. Got a lot of Tech Fouls. Is she not a role model? Or does she get a pass because you like her personality better?

Reply #656151 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Did I stutter? Anyone means anyone.

The anons on here...

Reply #656186 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754