Zodiac
Years ago

Breakers vs Sixers, Thu 2nd Nov

2.5 hours away until game time.

The Breakers have really surprised me how well they're playing without Penney and think that will need to be something for them to think about moving forward. However, the Sixers now with Childress who has hopefully gotten the cobwebs out of his system should be too strong.

Topic #42090 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Sixers should be too strong, but the Breakers have surprised me too. Looking forward to the Sosa/Shorter matchup.

Reply #654604 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Breakers have really surprised me how well they're playing without Penney
Hasn't he only missed the one game? I'd assume he's back for tonight as well.

Reply #654607 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Penney's missed a few and played little minutes in another I think.

Reply #654631 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I can remember that game the commentators just talked about the Breakers first NBL game against the 36ers and they blew us out of the water in the first quarter. It was a disgrace really and around the time the club should've pulled the trigger on Smyth.

Reply #654632 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers are looking good. Cut turnovers down. Shooting well. Sosa starting to perform. Newbill looks the goods. Adelaide have got some firepower but they can be erratic.
I like our chances at home.

Reply #654633 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

This is ugly.

Reply #654635 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So is the stream always a pointless endeavour for me trying to watch NZ home games. I've barely seen five minutes of this game.

Reply #654638 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mitch looks like he's dropped a bit of explosiveness this year. Don't know if he's intentionally conserving his energy or something, but doesn't attack the basket like he used to.

Reply #654641 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Breakers court surface slippery like they had indoor soccer on before the game.

Reply #654642 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Sobey and Shorter seem hell bent on stuffing up my Game Day dreamteam aspirations this week.

Reply #654644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey found out this season i feel. Teams have done their homework and he is struggling to adapt.

Reply #654645 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Mitch Creek on fire.
NZ matching us tho and killing us from range!
6ers 2 frm 6

Reply #654646 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Could Sobey have benefited from oppositions focus on Randle last year?

Reply #654647 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Although he was knocking them down last year, too many pull up mid-range Js for Sobey I think. Needs to attack the hoop more (as he hits a 3).

Reply #654649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika did nothing wrong what is shorty shorter crying on about?

Reply #654650 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mika pushed him off when Shorter landed on him.

Reply #654651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No did'nt. Shorter fell all over mika

Reply #654652 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mike fended him off with both arms. I would do the same thing if someone landed on me too, but that's what Shorter was upset about.

Reply #654653 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Mika*

Reply #654654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nz celebrating like they won the title. lol

Reply #654663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newbill you need to calm downbro

Reply #654665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go eat ur fesh and cheps sheep molesters

Reply #654666 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No need to be so salty chief. Adelaide had plenty of opportunities to win that game. NZ the better team tonight.

Reply #654668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vikona put his knee up and pushed shorter off in the back, that's the issue and not necessary. And yes Sixers has some short comings and NZ shot well and had some great sets but to have 3 refs not call a clearly double hit on the top of the board and a 24 shot clock violation in critical time meant the Sixers were never going to win this game. And nothing will be done, Joey will complain and cop a fine for speaking up.

Reply #654670 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Great game Mitch Creek!

NZ exposed sixers main weakness. Sixers need to be better from three point range having shot only 5/12 for the match. NZ 11/30. Many great inside plays but too often blocked or ball thrown away. NZ pretty much matched our inside game and won from range. Sobey hit a late one to make us look slightly better stat wise but too little too late.

Sixers must shoot and hit more shots from the three.

We also gave them extra chances as they won the rebound count in the second half.

Sixers need to close these holes in our game if we are going to bring home the elusive prize!!!

Well done NZ.

Reply #654674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see it top of board is legal just can't touch supports

Reply #654677 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Top of board not the top of the support along the top. Pretty sure there were some horrible calls both ways at the end.

Reply #654687 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

It was an interesting arm wrestle by what I consider two of the top three teams in the comp in these early rounds. The veteran play of NZ leading to solid execution offensively and defensively was good to watch and they really tidied up their defensive transition which forced Sixers into some unsightly half court sets at times.

I think the reffing has been pretty ordinary again (both ways) for each NBL game I've seen this season, 36ers or not. I really hope the league can keep investing in referee development, it's really needed to improve the quality and consistency of umpiring. I don't think the missed/ordinary calls both ways had any great impact on the outcome on the game.

Mitch Creek - love his continued development of getting to the rack with ease. Sobey struggling hurt us and can someone teach Hodgson to catch the ball under the hoop!?! :(

Finally, offensive rebounds will be the downfall of the Sixers this season if they don't clean that up. Currently giving up an average of 16.5 O boards per game. Too many second chances leading to buckets, less opportunities for them and more effort going out on D.

Reply #654691 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Childress with some nice drives to the hoop in this game. He's gonna be a tough matchup for Andersen or Wesley coming off United's bench

Reply #654704 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What stood out in the last quarter was NZ offensive rebounding

Too many 2nd chances.

Reply #654705 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Disgraceful display from the referees, missed shot clock violations, missed travels, missed out of bounds, not good enough for NBL level.

Reply #654710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 of the top 3 teams. Seriously?

Reply #654718 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Anon 654718, who do you "seriously" consider the two or three top teams might be at the moment after 6-8 rounds? Not sure if you've seen many games yet, or the ladder, but here is the 4 on the ladder after tonight's games for you:

NZ 5-1
Perth 4-1
Adelaide 4-3
Melb 3-3

NB: two of Adelaide's 3 losses have been by 2 and 4pts...

Reply #654722 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

* edit, 6-8 games, not rounds...

Reply #654724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the refs did a pretty good job myself. Shea I'll got hammered on last play. Foul count in third quarter massively in favour of 36ers. Mika never gets a 50/ 50 call. Mika never gets a call regardless

Wright far less animated and annoying than usual.

But they didn't dominate the game. Much better than normal.

Abercrombie did dominate. Breakers looked like his team tonite.

Henare annoyed me. Whistling and yelling coded messages at them when they are running back in tran defence. Half the time the players are looking at henare and not focusing on the game. Let them play Paul.

Subbing pledger in last few minutes a big mistake. Sosa, newbill, ill. Abercrombie running around and only vukkona to set screens and rebound. Really struggled to score after that. Ruined balance of team.

Strange seeing penny sit. The great man. Henare never gets mad at Kirk. Fair enough. He respects him no doubt.

Reply #654726 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sixers need to be better from three point range having shot only 5/12 for the match. NZ 11/30. NZ pretty much matched our inside game and won from range.
No. No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

No.

That's not how percentages work.

Reply #654729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cannot believe how badly we played last 2 games as I believe this is one of strongest teams player wise we have had for loooong time.
Our defensive work was awful with players blowing part us with ease and how bad was our work ethic letting them get easy offensive rebounds and loose balls.
Our system all over the place and rarely working like we started trying to feed into Hodgson DJ that wasn't working so after that it was run and gun or nothing until too late when sober decided if they can get open threes so can we.
Keep thinking as much as a coup to get Childress another big that can provide rebounds and D might have suited better.

Reply #654765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops I hope they were all sober especially Sobey

Reply #654766 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kobe, I don't think even you believe that 12 3pt attempts is enough in an entire game

Reply #654767 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You've got to take what the defence gives you.

For mine, Adelaide's issue was defensive rebounding and not being able to disrupt NZ's ball-screen for most of the game, not how many triples they took.

Reply #654785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are they so afraid of the threeball? odd.

Reply #654824 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Afraid or defended tightly on the arc?

Reply #654829 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Of course, not to say it's the only cause. But the three-pointer opens the floor, which is imperative for a team like Adelaide. They were making the ones they took, so keep going. If anything, to keep the Breakers honest

Reply #654832 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kobe, I don't think even you believe that 12 3pt attempts is enough in an entire game
I certainly don't think 5/12 is a bad percentage, or that it's better than 11/30.

Reply #654844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not really the point. Its a low number of attempts.

Reply #654849 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

For a bloke who spends his time here correcting people, I would've thought you'd have enough nouse to understand what I'm saying

Reply #654851 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Two game round so would be happy with a 1W1L, but you would think this was the game we would get the W.

From our timeouts, this was not the game we have been training for this week.

Reply #654862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"They were making the ones they took, so keep going. If anything, to keep the Breakers honest."

I haven't rewatched the game but maybe they were making shots because the were taking open ones? They shot 55% on twos, so I don't think shot selection was the issue.

NZ controlled the tempo most of the game due to Adelaide's struggles with defence and particularly rebounding. How many triples they attempted is a side issue.

Reply #654897 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I agree it's a side issue. But they should have shot more.

That's my point. Was never a big, sweeping claim

Reply #654898 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Would hardly day the NZ controlled the tempo. The 36ers played their normal fast paced style, what NZ did had no bearing on that.

NZ won the game on the O glass creating multiple chances for themselves. NZ got 21 rebounds from it starting bigs compared to 36ers 10. Breakers bigs had as many O boards as the 36ers total rebounds.

36ers starting PG had 9 rebounds , next best was 4!

Reply #654899 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Should also point out the glaring anomaly that the 36ers shot 58 2's for 12 FT attempts while NZ got 22 FT's out of a game where they shot 46 2's.

36ers attack the rim as noted above and got very very few calls while NZ jacked up 30 3's and got lots more FT's without an inside centric game

Reply #654901 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Would hardly day the NZ controlled the tempo. The 36ers played their normal fast paced style, what NZ did had no bearing on that."

Adelaide tried to play fast themselves, but they couldn't speed up NZ for large parts of the game, which is a key part of the 36ers' plan.

The Breakers made them defend for long stretches in the half-court and they struggled with that.

Reply #654932 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Paul - seriously? Lordy

Couldn't speed up NZ? Sounds like you didn’t watch the game and only looked at the stats

Reply #654937 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's what I was thinking about you. Have you watched NZ at all this season?

They walked it up regularly, a couple of slow passes with subtle cutting action, then picked their moment to use the high ball-screen and pick Adelaide apart.

Had they converted a bit better that was a comfortable win. Except for a few patches, that game was played on NZ's terms for the most part.

We'll have to agree to disagree!

Reply #654969 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Should also point out the glaring anomaly that the 36ers shot 58 2's for 12 FT attempts while NZ got 22 FT's out of a game where they shot 46 2's
If the shot misses it doesn't go down as a FGA, so that's not an unexpected result.

Reply #655014 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Mr I have to correct everyone , it's an indication of game style. 36ers attack the rim while NZ are happy jacking threes

Reply #655019 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But if NZ are getting fouled and going to the line, that naturally decreases their number of 2PAs.

Reply #655052 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

So, do the maths

Reply #655067 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754