Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Melbourne Nov 9

A very interesting game coming up and one to watch for Sixers fan.

In what looks like another extremely tight season, splits will be all too critical in what will be a fight for a Top 4 spot. The Sixers have already lost the split with United but are well on their way to gain advantage over our orange friends from the land of the great Bob Katter.

Let's face it, Sydney are done and Brisbane are inventing ways to disappoint. There are six teams fighting for four spots.

Cairns have a bogey team in Adelaide and Adelaide's bogey team is Melbourne. Irony says that Cairns should be Melbourne's bogey team. Melbourne has a very good roster and have already won in Cairns 65:87 so this game looks like it could be another shellacking.

A Melbourne win could see them exert the pressure on the other teams vying for a top 2 spot and place pressure on Cairns to lay out a swag next to Brisbane and listen to Pauline Hansen tell them how good Queenslanders are and how bad the "Mexicans" (ie those south of the border (ie Victorians)) are.

A Cairns win on the other hand would give the Melbourne boys something to think about and place a bit of pressure on the Sixers to get that split.

I think Melbourne have a bit too much fire power for the Snakes and will have plenty of time for a spot of cane toad golf after the game.

Topic #42125 | Report this topic

KingPodge  
Years ago

I'd rather listen to Melb's court announcer on loop for a month than listen to anything Pauline has to say ;)

Reply #655828 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

No head to head splits this season, comes down to percentage. No need to worry if you lose all four times to one team.

Reply #655829 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks for the update Cats 4 Life, I must get out more. It's hard living in a cave in Afghanistan

Reply #655854 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

All good dude.

Reply #655858 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #656320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping for a good game, and to see the Cairns fans lose in another heart-wrenching manner.

Reply #656324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fire up!

Reply #656327 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Crap. That looked really bad for Carrera.
:(

Reply #656425 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jawai cam

Reply #656431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the camera man doing

Reply #656432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The F**K is with these camera angles?! I'm getting sea sick

Reply #656433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cuts to Jawai on the bench eating lol

Reply #656436 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The only thing I can remember Patton ever doing for either Cairns or Melbourne are fouls and turnovers.

Reply #656437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even Prather can save Melbourne

They are woeful

Reply #656440 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

And a dunk?

Reply #656441 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll add the dunk to my mental Patton highlight package.

Reply #656442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not even Prather can save Melbourne

They are woeful

Cairns may save them, though.

Reply #656451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope

Reply #656453 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I'm only watching the scores via box score but can those that are watching comment on Goulding’s game? Is he hurt or is it the typical Goulding effect of one good game then missing for 4-5 weeks?

Reply #656455 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Goulding has been pretty invisible. He got into the key on penetration earlier with a pretty easy shot around the hoop and instead hit Boone for a midrange J (that surprisingly dropped).

Reply #656456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup

Reply #656457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV will go missing again

Reply #656458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just like United

Reply #656460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth,NZ and maybe Sydney if they get it together

Reply #656461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor effort melb. Casper is not interested. Bring back DD

Reply #656462 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Watched the game until halftime, pretty even. Have just seen the final score, WOW.

Hats off to the Taipans for such a resounding victory. Bubbles only 3 shots for the match and played 30+ mins, what's going on there?

Reply #656463 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I stopped watching at quarter time. What the hell happened?

Based on box scores Casper and CG are struggling with this new offense. Both must be averaging 6 or 8 ppg less than last year, without that freedom to let it fly whenever they want.

Reply #656466 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lol at anonymous trolls

Reply #656468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne don't look interested. Maybe to much structure for this team, Goulding playing a lot more team same as Casper. Adnam burst of form is finished. Vickerman playing Wesley to much and not allowing bench players enough time even when starters playing shit.

Reply #656471 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Boone and Prather have been most consistent but they have the most adaptable, universal skill sets.

CG and Casper, CG in particular, are working out how to get their shots in this group with this coach.

It doesn't matter as much if the D is as good as it was for 7/8ths of last week's games. But even based on Q1 (only part I saw) the D and the energy wasn't there tonight. Cairns missed some open ones early and it looked like a matter of time before they started hitting them

Reply #656474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather isn't the shadow of the player he was at with Perth which speaks volumes

Reply #656478 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

laughable, anonymous. he's been a stud this season.

if I was united i'd be ropable. insipid, frankly.

gliddon really really shits me. he is so up and down, not captain material. i've said that all along. i actually get annoyed when he has a good game

Reply #656481 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How long is Goulding going to last getting 3 FGA? Can't be a volume chucker without the volume!

Was he well held by particular Taipans?

Reply #656485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding didn't want to shoot all night - Cairns D had his number n the crowd made sure his convidence was dialled down quickly and held there.

Casper tried to ramp it up but United looked disjointed with key fouls.

Reply #656489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding didn't want to shoot all night - Cairns D had his number n the crowd made sure his convidence was dialled down quickly and held there.

Casper tried to ramp it up but United looked disjointed with key fouls.

Reply #656490 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I accept full responsibility for gouldings poor play, I replace Leslie who I only had for one round with him for this week in fantasy....

Reply #656491 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

"sydney are done" LOL

Reply #656492 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Cairns played out of their skins on D, and (jinx) actually seemed a lot better when Carrera went out. Four or five players stepped up a gear and the whole unit came across as very well drilled and hit good shots late in the shot clock; boone, prather and especially CG were visibly rattled fairly early on in the game, and once the United starters drew some fouls it seemed like United went into panic mode.

Reply #656493 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

To add to CT's above post, I thought Patton made a solid contribution. Despite incurring 4 fouls in his 8 minutes on court he did some good things.

Reply #656510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if they played better due to not having to deal with the 'distraction' of Carrera and his emotional antics, remonstrations etc.

Reply #656511 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Haven't watch too many MU games this year; can someone (maybe Paul), explain what offences they are running.

Is Vickerman running part of the traditional/old "Breakers" offense - which Cairns actually run to death too - and the 2-series etc.

Seems weird that CG etc. would struggle with Vickerman's offence, he has always struck me as a guy who likes an up-tempo style and a relatively loose offence.

Reply #656558 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"I wonder if they played better due to not having to deal with the 'distraction' of Carrera and his emotional antics, remonstrations etc."

Chris Goulding was there and in fine form, he was providing plenty of distraction all by himself.

Reply #656571 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

@Twinkletoes: yes, Patton seems to have started to settle in. Not worried about his scoring, I don't think we even need him to score. I'd be happy if he went in for 10 mins a game, gets in the paint and gives us 5 good, hard fouls.

Although having said all that he also seems to be tailor made for that play Fearney used to run for Matt Burston where he'd continually grab the first two points of the game, every game :-)

Reply #656578 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Who knew? Apparently you need an appendix to shoot?

Reply #656601 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Wonder if they found his spine while they were digging around in there? It's been Mia for most of his career

Reply #656609 | Report this post

KingPodge  
Years ago

CT- 9 times out of 10 a reverse layup as well! Loved that sneaky MB offensive game.

Patton played his role well last night, junked up the key, fouled hard when he needed to, scraped for rebounds. Really great junkyard dog minutes.

Reply #656614 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Maybe Melbourne had one eye on the Sydney game.

Is Randle due to play??

Reply #656618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754