Jack Toft
Years ago

New Zealand v Perth Nov 9

1 vs 2. GOTR

Well, we had one very big question answered this week with Matty Knight, but the next big question will be "Can the Perth Pussycats win in Auckland?"

Perth have a very good track record at home, but can struggle on the road on occasions. New Zealand have a very good track record at home and with the refs letting the game flow like a game of Union, Auckland games are always a hard fought affair with plenty of knocks and bumps.

If bumps aren't for you, play handball.

The Breakers have not smashed teams this season. 4 of their wins have been 5 points or less. Perth know how to bury teams.

In this game, I think the Breakers will make this a tight affair and squeeze past Perth in a tight one. Mika Vukona to dine out on rebounds and I'll tip Abba to have not one, but two sneaky little jams on the Cats

Topic #42126 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup we've always struggled over there and with only one game sample size against Cairns so far this yr to use, I think breakers win. The NZ/Perth distance travel is wayyyyy too much. For any side to win away is a massive effort.

Reply #655824 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Jack good write ups as always.
Think NZ at home might scrape by in a close low scoring affair.
Hope I am wrong.

Reply #655842 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Sosa Vs Cotton.

Or more like Sosa Vs Martin.

Reply #655843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home teams will get one each on eachother

Reply #655862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If this was a finals game Perth would win because this Cats team raise there game in the finals like no other teams in the leagues history. Be it on the road or at home. This is the best dynasty currently the league has ever seen 6 GF appreances in 7 years. 4 titles and probaly could have had 6 if Martin not got injured in 2012 and Redhage in 2011.

Reply #655866 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

injuries are sport Anon.
Nz have beaten Perth with both players healthy and have 3 peated in that same timeframe which your so called best dynasty has yet to do

Reply #655876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate how Cats fans keep bringing it up as if with no injury Cats win more.

That Breakers threepeat team I rate higher than the Cats of that time period anyway. Stop discrediting one of the best dynasties of all time, it's arrogant.

Reply #655880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"That Breakers threepeat team I rate higher than the Cats of that time period anyway"

Because they won, right?

Reply #655884 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The Wildcats were clearly the better team in 2013. 2012 could've gone either way.

2011 the Wildcats came within a ridiculous Kirk Penney performance and Braswell fluking a couple of terrible threes of sweeping the Breakers even without Redhage.

Mystro, the Breakers have never won a playoff series against a healthy Wildcats roster. Redhage was out in 2011, Martin played through a serious injury in 2012, Martin was out with the achilles tear in 2013. Perth won in 2016.

Abercrombie was also hobbled in 2012, though, so that probably evens out.

Reply #655885 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Can't count tall black team with a couple imports as beating Perth. Still think Perth would've got one. Done now, considering how close the competition is now compared back then and haven't missed the play offs where nz has.

Reply #655887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they won, right?

No.

But to reverse it for you - Wildcats fans think their team was better because they lost. How ridiculous is that?

Reply #655888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't count tall black team with a couple imports as beating Perth.

Wildcats fans' logic 101.

Reply #655889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure the Breakers are a valid NBL team despite what you think Cats4life.

Reply #655890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats fan are saying that they were missing key players when they lost, and when they were healthy they won. You're saying NZ were better anyway for no real reason other than they won. See point one.

Reply #655892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers had injuries too.

Every team does.

Reply #655893 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The results are in the books.

Looking forward to this game though. Two in-form teams going at it, with the #1 spot up for grabs.

Reply #655897 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. The results are in the books.
I'm bothered just by the fact that we never got to see those two teams at full strength in a playoff series, never mind the results.

Reply #655898 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Exactly, we can't change what happened, we all know that part. When we lost Martin in the semi-finals and we got robbo, you knew we had no hope.

Reply #655899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers have a three-peat. Cats don't. They may after this season though. Facts.

Reply #655901 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

If they rock up with the mind set against cairns, then no chance. We are due for a win in New Zealand. Looking forward to it.

Reply #655902 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"I'm bothered just by the fact that we never got to see those two teams at full strength in a playoff series, never mind the results."

Wasn't their last GF with a full squad both ways?

Other than the Breakers unhappy that someone did someone that wasn't his own wife, I don't recall any injuries.

Reply #655906 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Oops sorry KR...I think Nate was injured with a bad back.

Reply #655907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nate had a bad back and was overweight but still played his 18-22 minutes a night. From memory he dominated Wesley and Charles Jackson

Reply #655910 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They were very different teams by 2016 though. Wilkinson, Boucher and Bruton all gone from NZ, Perth running with a full import quota and a Shawn Redhage well past his prime, different coaches...

Reply #655911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than the Breakers unhappy that someone did someone that wasn't his own wife

I remember that happening but now who the player's where and who's partner did what. Care to remind us?

Reply #655912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but not*

Reply #655913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The Wildcats were clearly the better team in 2013."

NZ went 28-4 that season, and one of those losses was a dead rubber in the last game of the regular season in Perth. Their meeting before that the Breakers won by 17 in Auckland.

So while the Wildcats' two big early-season wins showed it would have been another very even GF if Martin had played, to suggest the Wildcats were clearly the better team is some very selective memory!

Reply #655914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those Breakers teams were amazing, especially on the road they were so clutch winning so many games by a bucket or two. So solid.

Reply #655917 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NZ went 28-4 that season, and one of those losses was a dead rubber in the last game of the regular season in Perth. Their meeting before that the Breakers won by 17 in Auckland.

So while the Wildcats' two big early-season wins showed it would have been another very even GF if Martin had played, to suggest the Wildcats were clearly the better team is some very selective memory!
I don't remember the numbers, but I tracked average margin of victory over the season and the Wildcats had a clear enough edge there to cancel out their inferior win-loss record.

The fact that game two went down to the wire even in Martin's absence is further evidence to that end.

Reply #655920 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

NZ won 21 of their last 22 games that season, Perth won 11 of their last 15. In this instance, your memory has failed you Kobz.

Perth weren't far behind NZ that season, and might have beaten them full strength in the GF, but they weren't clearly better.

The reality is NZ own a 3-1 lead in playoff series over the Wildcats and a 7-4 lead in playoff games.

Reply #655922 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NZ won 21 of their last 22 games that season, Perth won 11 of their last 15. In this instance, your memory has failed you Kobz.
Citing win-loss records does nothing to refute the argument that Perth had the better MOV. I've never claimed Perth had a better win-loss record.

Reply #655925 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

MOV doesn't win you titles, wins do.

Perth lost to more than half their opponents that season (NZ, Cairns, Adelaide & Illawarra), three of them twice. NZ lost to just two teams.

Your claim that Perth was "clearly better" is off the mark, but a quite reasonable position is that although NZ won more games than Perth, they were very evenly matched.

Reply #655928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ were just a special team that season and during the threepeat, can't believe (oh wait I can) Cats fans are trying to sway it in their favour. My god!

Reply #655931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2016 and even last seasons Perth team would beat any of the Breakers TITLE teams AND NO I'M A Taipans fans. Defence the Cats showed in those playoff runs were extraordinary.

Reply #655943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but their offence was sometimes downright ugly whereas the Breakers' flowed.

Reply #655944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We were trash v Cairns away, NZ should be warm favourites

Reply #655945 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Have to tip Auckland at home.

Reply #655951 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

MOV doesn't win you titles, wins do.
Both are measures of being able to outscore your opponents. Using the two in combination makes for better projections than using either on its own, and the Wildcats had the better of that metric in 2013.

If you win one game by 30 and lose one game by a point, you're probably better than the team that wins two games by a point each.

Reply #655956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's face it, Perth are and forever will be a better team and franchise

Reply #655958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you win 2 games by a point and lose 1 by 30 you'll happy concede that you might not be the better team as you walk up to the dais to collect your championship medal

Reply #655959 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And if you were to play that series over again several times the result would swing the other way more often than not.

Statistically speaking, Perth were strong favourites going into that series.

Reply #655960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically speaking NZ had Perth's number for a few years regardless of what any stats said or what players were in or out

Reply #655961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. The End.

Reply #655962 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

In 2012-13 regular season, Perth's high average margin of victory was fueled by their performances at home. In turn that was fueled by favourable foul calling at home games.

Perth were 13-1 at home, with a +16.6 PPG average margin over their opponents. They were 9-5 playing away, with a +5.5 PPG average margin. Perth scored 4.4 fewer points per game at home than away and had 5.1 fewer fouls per game called on them at home than away (16.5FPG at home and 21.6 FPG away.

That season was the peak of the Perth home advantage in terms of fouls called at home vs away. No-one else had a foul disparity even close to Perth's (the rest of the league averaged only 1.0 fewer fouls per game at home than away). In fact, only Wollongong were called for fewer fouls at home than Perth and yet Perth was called for more fouls in away games than every other team.

Based on the posts in this thread, some people will see that as saying the refs screwed Perth away from home and so clearly should have won the title. Others will say Perth looked better than they were because the refs screwed other teams in Perth home games. I lean towards the latter view. Perth were very good that season but the margin of victory stat flatters them because of favourable reffing in home games.

Reply #655964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers had a huge talent pool to pick from . they were pretty much the NZ national team and a couple of imports

Reply #655966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers had a huge talent pool to pick from . they were pretty much the NZ national team and a couple of imports

Reply #655967 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

currently the only kiwi on the team that wasnt developed by the Breakers academy is Kirk Penney.

Reply #655969 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Melbourne & Sydney's populations exceed the population of NZ yet how many locals play for them and how many titles have they won in the last 10 years?

Give credit where credit is due, NZ is a great organization just like Perth and those 3peat teams deserve to be mentioned up there with the best teams in NBL history.

Vukona played that first title year from memory on one leg and yes Abercrombie dealt with that horrible ankle injury through that 3peat period as well so Perth weren't the only team to deal with injuries.

Reply #655971 | Report this post

X ball  
Years ago

The Cat's defence will stifle any team. I think this is an away game that the wildcats have planned to win.... To show they can win away.

Beware or be square as the saying goes.

Reply #655972 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting that we talk about this historic rivalry, when the regular season records throughout that 3 year period were:

NZ 67-17.
Perth 57-27.

And NZ won 3 titles, Perth 0 from 2 grand finals.

Yes Perth had injuries, and it's a shame we didn't see as many full strength battles as we would've liked. But the reality is we didn't.

Another reality is that this was a weak era in NBL history. That's the whole reason we remember this rivalry- because the rest of the league was so poor, they didn't have much competition.

Reply #655975 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

When have Perth flown across for this game, does anyone know?

Reply #655986 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Leaving 9.20am via Sydney then get to Auckland just before midnight New Zealand time.

Reply #655988 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Thank you, I'm guessing that's today and not yesterday?

Reply #655989 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-take-smash-and-grab-approach-to-new-zealand-trip-ng-b88652728z

Perth trying to beat the time differential by spending as little as time as possible in NZ. They will land 20 hours before tip off.

Reply #655991 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-take-smash-and-grab-approach-to-new-zealand-trip-ng-b88652728z

Perth trying to beat the time differential by spending as little as time as possible in NZ. They will land 20 hours before tip off.

Reply #655992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Wildcats have lost their past seven games in New Zealand and won just once from eight attempts at Spark Arena."

(but have always been the better team of course. the article forgot to include that part)

Reply #655994 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

If staying keyed up and on Perth time sucessfully circumvents travel fatigue I wonder if fatigue will catch up and hit them more come Sunday. It will be interesting how it all pans out.

Reply #655996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth sound desperate. Father time will get you on Sunday, then.

Reply #655999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice stats from PeterJohn & LV. Mythbusted!

Reply #656000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game 1 of the Timezone Tussle!

Reply #656039 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"Timezone Tussle."

I like it. But really, I reckon there are only 4 potential matchups without Timezone differentials:
Cairns vs Brisbane
Kings vs Hawks
United vs Hawks
United vs Kings

If we wanted a league without games across time zones, we could support the CBA or other league in China.

China's communist govt declared a single time zone following wwII and the Chinese civil war. (Much the same as the addition of the USA’s Alaskan time zone occurred with the demise of Russia and its decision to sell Alaska for revenue.) It’s based on Beijing time. Geographically, China “should” be divided into 5 time zones. It is likely about state centralised control and the capacity to communicate with all citizens more easily and therefore exert centralised control. This results in sun rises as late as 10 am and sun setting as late as 10 pm (approximately). There are, however, some regions with 2 time zones operating in tandem. China refers to its time zone as Beijing Standard time, but it is internationally known as China Standard Time (CST). China does not have Dylight Saving Time.

Anyone else have any fun facts about Chinese time zone/s?

Reply #656049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unusual that they would fly over day before normally it's 2 days before

Reply #656052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you read the article, it explains why.

Reply #656054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have no facts but thank you for yours.
I need to move to Xinjiang so I can get up at 10am and not be called a slacker because the sun is just rising.

Reply #656055 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

For a domestic competition you have to fly international airport is a bit different, not fair on both teams. Breakers play 11.30pm say a Friday night tip off, no disrespect to New Zealand, they have a national competition.

Reply #656057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timezone Tussle as it's a five hour difference which is very signficant.

Reply #656064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

China's time zones are nothing compared to Russia's.

Reply #656066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For any aussies here wondering what these people are on about, it is the Timezone Tissle

Reply #656067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ had Cedric Jackson, Mika, Abercombie and Pledger and the 2016 wildcats demolished them by 30 in game 3 of the GF.Infact the Cats led by as much as 38 in that game. That Cats team might go down as the best defensive team of all time or on par with some Goorjian Magic teams. Hence i said the 2016 Cats team would beat any of those Breakers Title teams.

Reply #656068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ had Cedric Jackson, Mika, Abercombie and Pledger and the 2016 wildcats demolished them by 30 in game 3 of the GF.Infact the Cats led by as much as 38 in that game. That Cats team might go down as the best defensive team of all time or on par with some Goorjian Magic teams. Hence i said the 2016 Cats team would beat any of those Breakers Title teams.

Reply #656069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about back in the USSR:

"Nevertheless, it seems that the all-time record goes to SKA Khabarovsk (in the Sea of Japan) and Nistru Kishinev (now Zimbru Chisinau, in Moldova), who faced each other several times at the Second Level of the USSR Championship during the 80s (last time in 1985), travelling 7,213km and 12 time zones."

:o

Reply #656070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For any aussies here wondering what these people are on about, it is the Timezone Tissle"

That's for Kiwis.

For Aussies it's Timezone Tussle.

Reply #656071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russian Timezones just got Street Fighter II

Reply #656072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Batlika Kaliningrad (Russian territory next to Poland) faced SKA Energiya Khabarovsk (in the Sea of Japan) in the Football Championship of the National League (Russian second division). The distance between the teams was 9,500km and 11 time zones"

:o

Reply #656073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys I'm on the phone now to Timezone trying to get them to sponsor this week's series. Although there are no timezones in NZ so may be commercially sensible for them to do so!

Reply #656074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

may not be commercially

Reply #656075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ has one time zone and no Timezones. What a backwater!

Reply #656076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I stand corrected:

https://www.timezonegames.co.nz/

Sponsorship plan back on!

Reply #656077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ Timezones just got Street Fighter II hahaha I just made a funny.

Reply #656078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #656079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZ doesn't have a single Timezone within multiple timezones however.

Reply #656083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodgy Russian planes can't even fly in a straight line

Reply #656084 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I used to like the "Sunshine Swing" as well when the NBL had teams in Cairns and Townsville.

Possible NBL and cartographic fun fact:

Is the NBL the only national basketball comp that's only ever represented cities/ territories/ counties with a seaside?

I base this conjecture/ question on all the old school suburban clubs (St Kilda, Coburg, Glenelg etc being in cities on the coast.

Before you yell “Canberra”, if we accept that Canberra represented the ACT, then the Cannons had a seaside/coastline rep role. Under the articles or agreements of Federation, the nation’s capital had to have “access to the sea”. Consequently, when the ACT was established, NSW donated the ACT land around the city of Canberra and... Jarvis Bay on the south coast (near Nowra).

It used to be possible to run from NSW into the ACT at HMAS Creswell on the beaches. You just had to wave at the guard tower as you ran bac out. Or maybe you didn’t have to wave, but they always waved back to me. I doubt you could do that now. Jarvis Bay is prob also the coolest posting for a Fed police officer or ACT teacher.

The navy used to park the HMAS Melbourne off Jervis Bay. Pilots would train take off and landing between the carrier and HMAS Albatross. There is also a NZ connection for our Kiwi friends. When the Australian defence force acquired their FA18 Hornets, there were a few jobs they couldn’t do. They had sold the Skyhawks to the Royal NZ Air Force. They then had to pay the Kiwis to operate the old birds from Albatross. The Kiwi ground crews were pretty cool though.

Jervis Bay is also the only location in Australia seriously considered as a site for a nuclear power station. Only because it’s on commonwealth land I think.

So... any other National league with only coastal teams???

Reply #656091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy your Canberra loophole at all. If they were called the ACT Cannons then fair enough, but they weren't.

Reply #656092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha, owned. Canberra does note equal ACT. Weird rant.

Reply #656093 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Wow, game hasn't even started and 83 comments already..

Reply #656094 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon "weird rant"

“Possible NBL and cartographic fun fact:

Is the NBL the only national basketball comp that's only ever represented cities/ territories/ counties with a seaside?

I base this conjecture/ question on all the old school suburban clubs (St Kilda, Coburg, Glenelg etc being in cities on the coast.”

Not sure where “possible”, “conjecture/question” and “if we accept” became a “rant”, weird or otherwise. It was speculation and food for thought. You obviously think differently. This just demonstrates the wide variety of human experience represented by the forum.

Reply #656096 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Ricky

Timezones and related geographical banter obviously adds interest to basketball.

I wanna see a giant globe spinning and orbiting through the crowd for half time entertainment.

Reply #656098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We won three titles despite having Andre lemanis as our head coach. Amazing

Reply #656115 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Interesting how Tokoto play's on the road? It's time I think to put Cooke in the five, at least we got Angus as back up.

You pay imports for a reason, if they don't perform they go home.

Reply #656116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke hasn't earnt a starting spot yet.
He will get his chance with Knight gone, the rest is up to him

Reply #656118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We won three titles despite having Andre lemanis as our head coach. Amazing

It was quite the handicap. Everyone seems to forget how awful he was with NZ until the ownership changed/started putting spending more money.

Reply #656119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statistically speaking our MOV would have improved substantially without Andre. Not sure if kober has considered this in his analysis

Reply #656120 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cooke hasn't earnt a starting spot yet.
He will get his chance with Knight gone, the rest is up to him
Knight wasn't starting either.

Reply #656128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did anyone say he was? DCJ will get more opportunities now do you disagree?

Reply #656130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct #120 too much credit is given to the coach. Everyone ignores what happened behind the scenes with the work the Blackwells did with club setup in the form of the academy, training facility, scouting system, etc.

Reply #656133 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Lemanis is easily the least-talented coach to win an NBL three-peat and finish in the top four at the Olympics.

Reply #656153 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Lemanis is also easily the most-talented coach to win an NBL three-peat and finish in the top four at the Olympics.

Personally I think he's the coach who has won a 3peat in the NBL NBL and coached the Boomers to top 4 in the Olympics because he adjusts so well to different time zones.

I think the Boomers need a specialist time zone coach for 2020.

Reply #656156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already hit the tonne and the game hasn't started yet!

Reply #656202 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Another reality is that this was a weak era in NBL history. That's the whole reason we remember this rivalry- because the rest of the league was so poor, they didn't have much competition."

They had to beat a loaded Gold Coast team that would be one of the best teams in the NBL in any year. The Townsville team in 2012 was also very strong.

The reality is these two teams were at the top when the league was low and rebuilding and they're at the top now it's as strong as it's ever been.

Reply #656207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis has a golden horse shoe - gets Breakers and Boomers jobs just before they both load up. What timing.

Reply #656227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's not forget how he couldn't even tank a game properly with the Boomers. So embarrassing.

Reply #656228 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"The reality is these two teams were at the top when the league was low and rebuilding and they're at the top now it's as strong as it's ever been."

NZ won't be at the top for very long. They've won a bunch of games in the dying seconds. Let's see if they're still on top by Christmas.

Secondly, the team Perth has now is stronger than their team from back then.

Yes- those two teams were strong then. I'm not saying *they* were weak. I'm saying, back then we all waited all year for the inevitable Perth vs NZ GF. There were only two good teams. There was one good rivalry in the competition because there were 2 good teams. Now there are 4 or 5.

Bottom line- Whoeever wins it this year will have to beat 3 or 4 other strong teams, not ONE other strong team. To me, that makes it a more valuable title.

Reply #656239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ LOL, LV setting it up so if Melb Utd do pull off a championship this season it can be seen as greater than any of the ones Perth or NZ won in recent history.

Reply #656244 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I just checked the stats to confirm if my memory was correct

In 2011-12- Perth and NZ were the top 2 on the ladder for the entire season. Every single round. Perth ended up 2 games clear of 3rd ranked team. (19-9 to 17-11).

They both won their semi final series 2-1 but smashed the third game by 20 points. NZ lost game 1 in NZ but then proceeded to win games 2 and 3 by double digits. Perth won game 1 by 15, then lost by 2, then won by 20 or so.

In 2012-13 They finished first and second, Perth in second was NINE games clear of third position (22-6 to 13-15). Perth and NZ dominated their semi series, both winning 2-0 with big victories.

So that confirms my memory- it was a boring competition back then. We all knew who would be meeting in the GF.

You can't say the same now though. United is currently $3.10 favourites with the bookies but I can’t even understand why, when Perth has won 3 of the last 4 and retains the same system, coach and most of last year’s team. Sydney and Adelaide, meanwhile, have two of the most talented rosters ever seen in the NBL. NZ has most of the Tall Blacks plus a stud import in Sosa...…

Reply #656252 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I'm saying, back then we all waited all year for the inevitable Perth vs NZ GF. There were only two good teams."

And I'm saying Gold Coast was a very strong team - Petrie, Worthington, Hudson, Hoare, Harvey, Goulding, Deleon, Cadee, Gibson and coached by Wright - they had good veterans and good youngsters off the bench, they just weren't quite as good as NZ and Perth.

In their final year they were 4-6 against those two teams but couldn't get over the Wildcats in G3 of the SFs in Perth.

Reply #656256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to @NBL, these two teams have won 8 out of the past ten titles!

Reply #656257 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Better than that these two teams have won 8 of the last 8 titles!

2010 - Perth
2011 - NZ
2012 - NZ
2013 - NZ
2014 - Perth
2015 - NZ
2016 - Perth
2017 - Perth

Reply #656259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GC Blaze were stacked but from memory mentally weak.

Reply #656263 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Paul, I don't buy that.

Some good names, yes, but Goulding and Cadee were very young then. Nowhere near the level they are today. Hoare was about 37 and on his last legs.

And they got beaten 85-70 and 88-67 in 2 of the 3 semi finals games. Winning game 2 72-70.

My recollection is Perth and NZ were head and shoulders 1 and 2 for 2 seasons. Certainly stats support my memory here.

Reply #656264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(and if memory serves me correctly, Perth would've been a clear top 2 team in 2011 as well, but injuries got the better of them). The NBL just wasn't anywhere near as deep and talented then. Nowhere near it.

Reply #656265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Petrie is the first player you list to show how stacked a team is, you probably haven't made a great point!

Reply #656266 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"My recollection is Perth and NZ were head and shoulders 1 and 2 for 2 seasons. Certainly stats support my memory here."

Perth was only 3-3 against Gold Coast that season and only won two more games than them in the regular season. They were two evenly matched teams, with Perth a little better when it counted.

Two years earlier, when the Wildcats won the title, GC beat them 3-1 in the regular season but got swept by them in the playoffs.

Gold Coast's issue wasn't so much talent, it was more the same issue Joey Wright's teams often encounter in the playoffs as opposed to H&A.

Reply #656271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gold Coast's issue wasn't so much talent, it was more the same issue Joey Wright's teams often encounter in the playoffs as opposed to H&A.

GC Blaze were stacked but from memory mentally weak.

Yep.

Reply #656272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 2009-10 season where Perth played Wollongong in the GF was a low point for the league. Wollongong 09-10 were one of the weakest teams ever to make a GF in my opinion.

But once NZB stepped up the season after then the epic battles between them and PER. NZ actually started firing in the second half of 09-10 after a slow first half they wiped the floor in the second half but missed out on the playoffs by either percentage or one win. Going off memory here.

Yes the other teams were not up to their level but so what LV? NZB-PER was legit quality, and this season has barely begun... how do you know one of MEL/PER/NZB/whoever go top of the ladder as a clear #1 & #2 and demolish everyone during the playoffs? LV stop trying to set it up that previous seasons were weaker!

Reply #656273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apart from last season in most years there is a clear top two, it may even be the case this season. I love how LV assumes it will be tight at the end of the season - no one knows yet, yet this assumption of his is the crux of his argument. Not buying it.

Reply #656274 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Fair enough, sounds like you got me there Paul. Perhaps GC were right in the mix and it was unfair or incorrect to say Perth and NZ were head and shoulders 1 and 2.

Still- it's only one team. My broader point was that the NBL was quite weak, so Perth and NZ rivalry was a little overblown in our memories as a result of them being two big fishes in a relatively small pond compared to the great ocean of talent we now enjoy.

Reply #656275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, LV.

The weak point of the NBL was 09-10 where WOL faced PER.

Once 10-11 rolled around and NZB stepped up the quality of both them and PER was amazing.

Stop trying to rewrite history.

After SYD/MEL/BNE spending from Groves McPeake et al. died down and BA took over the league 2009-10 was the low point. After that it stepped up impressively.

Laughable that you are trying to discredit eight years of two amazing teams - PER & NZB. The first title in 09/10 I will admit was a weak competition but after that it was superb.

Reply #656277 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"I love how LV assumes it will be tight at the end of the season - no one knows yet, yet this assumption of his is the crux of his argument. Not buying it."

It's not so much "tight" or now. it's about depth of talent.

It wasn't tight at the end of last season. Perth won easily in the end. But you had Adelaide capitulating, Melbourne just missing the finals after adding Casper late and then losing 4 games against Perth by 2 or 3 points. It was a topsy turvy season where talented teams were everywhere and it was a ride and a half.

As I said, in 2012 NZ and Perth were 1 and 2 EVERY SINGLE WEEK of the season. And in 2013 they finished 24-4 and 22-6, compared to the third ranked team having a losing record of 13-15. The competition is more hard fought and much stronger as a result of marquee player changes, soft salary cap, etc.

Reply #656279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and as paul there were other good teams like GCB but PER & NZB were just too good.

If MEL go on a tear this season and finish a clear #1 or #2 along with one other side and the rest of the league end up as fodder we won't see you saying the MEL win was against a weak league will we now? Thought so.

Reply #656280 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I'm not trying to discredit Perth and NZ- I'm discrediting the rivalry. If we had another strong team or two, there's every chance they wouldn't have fought in 2 straight GF's.

Whereas if, say, Perth meet Illawarra again this year, that will be a much more impressive rivalry in my mind, not because of he bevo connection but because both teams will have had to face more adversity in the form of stronger opponents, to get to a second straight GF matchup.

Reply #656281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, LV. AGAIN.

The reason why PER & NZB had those regular season and playoff records was because they WERE THAT GOOD. Not because every other team was pathetic. Your argument is flawed.

And we know why you are using this angle - so that if MEL win the title this year you will fall back on this argument and say that after just this one season MEL's title was more valuable than any of the eight previous ones won by NZB & PER.

You are so transparent.

Reply #656282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ PER-ILL being a potentially better rivalry than those PER-NZB battles if they face each other in the GF again this season... no way. That wasn't a rivalry more like a blowout last GF.

Reply #656283 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Melbourne isn't even my title tip. Perth is. I've made that very clear by saying many times that Perth deserves favouritism.

Whoever wins this year- and United and Perth both stand a strong chance, as does Adelaide, with Sydney, NZ and Illawarra my smokies- it will be a more impressive title in my mind than any of the titles from 2010 to 2014. Possibly the most impressive ever, since we have the strongest league I can remember right now.

Reply #656284 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Perth and NZ rivalry was a little overblown in our memories as a result of them being two big fishes in a relatively small pond compared to the great ocean of talent we now enjoy."

In this great ocean you speak of, 3 of the last 4 grand finalists have been NZ and Perth! They will likely both be in the top 4 again this year.

Time to give some credit where credit is due. While the league has improved from good to great by NBL standards, these two clubs have continued with two of the best dynasties the league has seen.

Reply #656285 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

We'll see, Paul.

It's early days, but if NZ's roster remains as it is, I can't see them beating Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne come crunch time.

Reply #656286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne will dominate this season just like LV said they would last season and the season before.

Reply #656287 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"It's early days, but if NZ's roster remains as it is, I can't see them beating Perth, Adelaide or Melbourne come crunch time."

It's no surprise to see a Melbourne fan think your success is determined by your roster, and not how it functions together. JVG comes from the same school.

That thinking led LV to say Illawarra were clearly the worst team in the league last year and Sydney were the best then daylight.

Reply #656288 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hmmm...I'm pretty sure you're making things up there Paul! Don't think I ever said that about Illawarra.

I certainly respect teams over individuals- that's why I was riding Cairns all the way last year. Right from the beginning when the bookies had them winning 8 games for the season.

I never said United would dominate this season. Let me say this again: Perth is my title tip and I cannot, for the life of me, work out why United are favourites ahead of them. Maybe it's because everybody else is thinking how you claim I think, Paul ;-)

Reply #656290 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

(Well, actually, I did say it would be a catastrophe if United missed the GF, but I no longer think that, since Adelaide have upgraded from a 33 year old journeyman Wiggins to Josh Childress).

United is still my tip for runner up though. But they've actually played like it so far (except the NZ game and parts of the Brisbane game).

Reply #656291 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Hmmm...I'm pretty sure you're making things up there Paul! Don't think I ever said that about Illawarra."

I guarantee that you did! It was in November when they were 2-5 or around that mark.

I go back to what I said at the same time, no one can be championship favourites until they beat Perth or NZ in the playoffs.

Only Cairns in 2015 have achieved that feat in the past eight years! Even then, after beating Perth, they still had NZ standing in front of them the poor buggers!

Reply #656296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV your predictions are always wrong, as paul just mentioned. Yet in the face of it you deny that you were wrong... you are so deluded.

Reply #656298 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I may have said that out of frustration cos, along with Cairns I also loaded up on Illawarra pre season and then was frustrated when they were struggling (after a delightful early win against Adelaide).

But Illawarra came good in the end.

If I remember correctly the Illawarra bets were the only ones I actually cashed out at a loss. Even Sydney I cashed out for a win cos I made the "daylight" comment when they were about $4 and then cashed them out when they got to about $2.70.

Not betting this season tho. Too time consuming!

Reply #656301 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Next season I reckon we go for a hoops.com.au tipping comp. Anonymous blowhards can pick a username and then take egg on their face when I defeat them in tipping!

Reply #656303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With your track record you'd be at the bottom.

and if you were making money you wouldn't be using "time consuming" excuses.

Reply #656307 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"I go back to what I said at the same time, no one can be championship favourites until they beat Perth or NZ in the playoffs."

I predict that this record remains intact this year.

Perth will win the title. NZ will finish 5th.

I'm never shy of making a bold prediction. So there you go. Hopefully not my next "daylight" moment :-)

Reply #656308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... while secretly hoping Melb Utd win it, so then you can woof about it and how good the league is this season so their title trumps anything the PER or NZB dynasties have done. Yeah, we get you.

Reply #656309 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"With your track record you'd be at the bottom.

and if you were making money you wouldn't be using "time consuming" excuses."

From memory I made somewhere between $50 and $100 last season- after spending hours and hours reviewing odds and updating my betting spreadsheet- not worth it when you have a good job and a great family to spend time on.

Happy to do tipping if someone sets it up tho

Reply #656310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that's on you - wasting hours for a few dollars? Bet some real coin then if you think you're that good at it.

Reply #656311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not worth it when you have a good job and a great family to spend time on.

WOOF WOOF WOOF

Reply #656312 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

".. while secretly hoping Melb Utd win it, so then you can woof about it and how good the league is this season so their title trumps anything the PER or NZB dynasties have done. Yeah, we get you."

Of course I hope UTD wins it, but whoever wins it, I'll give credit where it's due

The NBL is more talented than ever, so whoever wins it will have the most impressive title ever

Reply #656313 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Well that's on you - wasting hours for a few dollars? Bet some real coin then if you think you're that good at it."

I did bet real coin- but in percentage terms, even if you bet $10,000, if you make 5% it's only $500.

Not worth it.

But if that's your thing- go for it.

Reply #656314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said, increase unit amounts then.

Of course I hope UTD wins it, but whoever wins it, I'll give credit where it's due

The NBL is more talented than ever, so whoever wins it will have the most impressive title ever

Again you're declaring the future winner of this season's title as best ever. Hold your horses.

Reply #656315 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It's early days, but based on what we've seen so far:

- Perth looks just as good as last year. Haven't skipped a beat and Tokoto is a stud.

- Melbourne has a stacked roster and in 5 out of 7 games so far, they've looked every bit as good as many people have declared them already

- Adelaide has Wright at the helm and the most talented team he's had at his disposal since the 2007 Bullets. Yet to perform consistently but history suggests they'll get it together.

- NZ is playing great basketball, no reason to think they won't continue to do so.

You would have to suggest there's a fairly strong probability that we'll continue to see some great basketball this year.

Reply #656316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In previous seasons:

- The championship side from the previous season look just as good. Plus they tend to add yet another stud import.

- There is a team with a stacked roster and their play looks good

- A team has had Wright at the helm in the NBL now for the past 15 of 16 seasons

- Another team, not mentioned above, is paying great basketball

In previous seaons there has been some great basketball.

Reply #656317 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Should have your own thread lv

Reply #656319 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

$3.67 for Perth and Melbourne to get up today.

Reply #656321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two away teams? Good luck with that...

Reply #656322 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"
- The championship side from the previous season look just as good. Plus they tend to add yet another stud import."

How many teams have swept a championship 3-0 and then kept pretty much their entire roster?

(Knight now gone but will no doubt be replaced eventually by someone good like Steindl)

"There is a team with a stacked roster and their play looks good"

How many teams in NBL history have been as stacked as United this year?

"A team has had Wright at the helm in the NBL now for the past 15 of 16 seasons"

In how many of those seasons did he have a team as talented as this one?

Reply #656323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.) NZ (2-0 sweep as only best out of three before)
2.) Tigers/Kings/Bullet$ of the good old "salary cap" days
3.) Bri$bane - many seasons during the Grove$ era

Reply #656326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV move along to the Cairns v Melbourne Nov 9 thread please. Thank you.

Reply #656329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

151 comments and the game hasn't started.

Reply #656334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #656335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

153... wait 154

Reply #656337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth can collapse away

Will this happen tonight?

Reply #656341 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Anyone having issues with nbl.com.au?

Reply #656344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't see the link for live stream on nbl.tv. I could only see next week's games listed. Anyone else?

Reply #656345 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Working fine on the app

Reply #656346 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Cotton missed and-1, breakers go on 9-0 run

Reply #656347 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Stop shooting threes!!!!

Reply #656350 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Who'd want to be a rebounder at Spark Arena. These rings are rock hard!

Reply #656351 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Getting tired of Cotton throwing the legs out and getting the calls.

NBL referees clearly have their faults, but are usually better than to fall for those cheap tricks that imports come up with. Quite disappointing

Reply #656352 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Awesome block by Cooke

Reply #656353 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great game so far

Reply #656355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont think gleeson anticipated a zone for that inbound play with 3 seconds left. all those screens on no one

Reply #656356 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

10 min quarters are too quick..

Reply #656357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12 min quarters much better

Reply #656359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

40mins are a joke and ruined all previous NBL records.

Reply #656361 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kudos to the refs for not calling anything in that Cotton one-on-five action late in the quarter. I was almost certain they'd call something when he flopped to the ground once he knew he'd lost control of possession

Reply #656363 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That unsportsmanlike on Vukona was a disgraceful call.

Reply #656364 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

All the no calls when cotton was getting checked is a joke. Clearly fouled multiple times. Refs starting to become a factor, nz actually playing the game bettwr for how they are calling it though

Reply #656365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

quality of reffing went down hill a bit in that quarter imo, hopefully the 4th is better

Reply #656366 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The USF was a shocker but overall I reckon they've done ok at "letting them play"

Reply #656367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is killing the cats.Coocke needs to be replaced ASAP her cant hold onto any rebounds

Reply #656368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth likely to lose here... thats always a great way to start a round!

Reply #656369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Brandt maybe not always shoot that half-arsed skyhook MY GOD

Reply #656370 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

I hope manu thinks that was an offensive foul on Penney, or is it only cotton feet?

Reply #656371 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

No call on cotton layup a disgrace, airborne contact from behind and nothing

Reply #656372 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah I ain't one-eyed. I hate Perth with both eyes

Reply #656373 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

But seriously, yeah Penney kicks out too. Not a fan

Reply #656374 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Would need to see the replay, but Cotton didn't even attempted to shoot it while milking for the foul, so I'm glad it wasn't called.

Reply #656375 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Looks to me like a lot of great D being played on Cotton.

Reply #656376 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Angush is was a foul. You can not contact a player from that angle.

Reply #656377 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Silly 4th, Damo

Reply #656378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats are pathetic on the road. Actually, most NBL teams are. Ohhh noes people are booing us we can't cope with it!!!1

Reply #656379 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

For those idiots that complain about the "Perth home cooking " at Perth arena, I hope you're watching this game

Reply #656380 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

NZ too good today. Didn't let us get loose. Very disciplined performance.

Reply #656381 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

@ Red74, we are - good to see how Perth look without that advantage!

Reply #656382 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Nz have won it on the boards, but cats definitely deserved a few more trips to the free throw line in the last quarter. It's amazing that the refs are so quick to call a hands foul on a double team but happy to let contact go when the cats attacked the basket hard in the final quarter, you can see the frustration in the cats players.

Reply #656383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same applies to the refs in the NBL - "oh noes people are booing us better call more for the home team!"

Reply #656386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hilarious that the Breakers commentators are pre-whingeing about the refs in Perth...

Reply #656387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a bad loss by the Wildcats.

Had their opportunities to win it, take control.

Brandt has regressed. Maybe it's his knee which he injured early on.

Why no on balls for Cotton?

Reply #656388 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Angush - and we will see how the sheep shaggers go without theirs.

But credit to nz, they played much better, tokoto started hot then disappeared for two quarters and cotton seems afraid of contact!

Reply #656389 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Angush the implication was that nz is getting an advantage so in fact you are seeing the cats at a disadvantage rather than an advantage, preferable to many on this forum I am sure, but not what fans of the sport want to see. Should have been a closer game, cats deserved as free more trips to the line when it was a 6pt game.

Reply #656391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

86-82 wtf all of a sudden!

Reply #656392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No shame in losing a close game in NZ.

Reply #656393 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Cats were far from bad. Just didn't cash in on the opportunities we created as efficiently as we usually do.

Reply #656394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WTF, what was the point of getting the clock down further. Weird time management there.

Reply #656397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wildcats are pathetic on the road"

embarrasingly clueless comment

Reply #656399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats stop offensive rebounds, clog the lane and get to the free throw line they win.

Expect a blow out in PA by the Wildcats.

Reply #656400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were down by double digits dude, this lower margin now just peppers over the cracks.

Reply #656402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing was average at times in the 2nd half, but I thought NZ did play very well. The stat that killed the Wildcats though was losing the 2nd chance points 24 to 12.

Reply #656403 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Perth need another big. Cooke doesn't cover the offensive input of Matty knight.

Reply #656405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is so passive, unless when doing those kick-outs for fouls. FFS be more assertive!

Reply #656406 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Couple trips to the line. 2 posession game... credit Nz, cats shouldn't have gotten themselves in such a hole. Even if it appeared they drew a few short straws trying to get out of it. If i am cotton I am seeking a few explanations, guy is a star, officiated like he is a scrub

Reply #656407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh Cooke is ordinary hey

Reply #656408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great game .

Reply #656409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tough to lose a close one but a much better performance than they put up in Cairns.
Penney and Ili the best reserve backcourt in the NBL.
Hoping Steindl gets signed

Reply #656410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call by the tv team about the benches. NZ is dangerous. Perth is rubbish.

Reply #656411 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Agree Perth bench unit looses a lot without knight

Reply #656413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will sign Stiendl or someone.

Upgrade Cooke too.

Reply #656414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats would have won if they actually used Brandt in the first 3 quarters. He got 2 early ones and looked the goods but they never went back to him even though the defense didnt adjust.

Credit to NZ, must have been about 5 three balls drilled with a hand right in the face.

Reply #656415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not having a great interior reboundder/defender shone through tonight. They are going to need Knight with another great reboundedr(defensive end) because without him the Breakers were featsing on the boards. Coocke is not going to cut it.

Reply #656416 | Report this post

Rockets fan  
Years ago

^^^ Yeah Coocke jr is really average

Reply #656419 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

NBL Website has the scores 92-84, Wildcats Twitter saying 88-84. Which ones right?

Reply #656420 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Not good signs seeing Cooke Jr only playing 11:59. I was expecting him to play at least 20 now that Knight has gone. Didn't think he played bad but you want your import playing a lot more minutes and having an impact on games.

Reply #656422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

88-84

Reply #656423 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

88-84 was the final score.
40 points from the bench is huge for the Breakers. Kudos to Ili, Penney, Lowe and Delaney for keeping the scoreboard ticking over.
Sunday is going to be an uphill battle, the bench depth will help the fatigue but the Cats will have their claws out for revenge.

Reply #656424 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Some nice comments from Henare and Penney in the post game interview about Matty Knight and his character and career.

Reply #656426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other than wagstaff really poor bench effort accross all stats. Kenny, KDK, Cooke , Hire not justifying their spots on the roster.

Starting 5 could of done better (Walker and Brandt) but very little help from the bench. The cats should of seen last year that the bench was poor for scoring and did more to mix up the guys they had there. (Hire should be gone, Kenny past it etc..)

Maybe cats need a legit Centre like Boone and send Brandt back to the bench if he cant dominate there consistently enough.

Reply #656427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd?

Reply #656439 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The next Timezone Tussle should be taken to a country centre, Eucla:
Eucla

Despite daft time zone switches taking place all over the world, Australia arguably hosts the titan of the genre. Eucla is the first town you hit on the Nullarbor after crossing the border from South Australia. Logic would dictate it follows the same times as the rest of Western Australia, but no - it has its own absurd 45 minute offset. So while the vast bulk of WA is at UTC+8, Eucla is at UTC+45. This makes the time difference between Eucla and South Australia either 45 minutes or one hour and 45 minutes, depending on whether South Australia is observing daylight savings. Drivers are forgiven for getting screamingly confused.

Read more: http://www.traveller.com.au/time-zones-around-the-world-the-weirdest-time-zones-gr4euy#ixzz4xvTdCZbP
Follow us: @TravellerAU on Twitter | TravellerAU on Facebook

That'd really confuse those single zone cross-Tasman cousins

Reply #656449 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Above was cut n paste from the website listed:

"UTC +45"

Can't be right, that’d be 37 hrs behind the rest of West Oz.

They must mean UTC +7:15, ie 45 min earlier than WA time.

See how much better hoops is than a travel website. Very edumacational.

Reply #656454 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cooke failed IMO.
Had a chance to step up and didn't.
Get Dunigan or someone similar oh and sign Steindl.
Hire 1 rebound in 10 mins why bother he should retire too.

Reply #656464 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Cooke isn't the reason the cats lost.

But with Knight gone... I don’t think he’s going to cut it

Reply #656465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought Cooke did quite well, if coach don't play you enough player can't do much, he deserved more time. Abercrombie was to good for Tokoto after first 1/4 and Ili fantastic off the bench. Henare got his subs spot on.

Reply #656476 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Sorry UseTaHoop, 1981 champions were Launceston. That's on a river but too far from Bass Strait to be called coastal. Maybe they're the exception that proves the rule!

Reply #656487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Cooke is under rated. Barely used but he has a terrfic 1st step to get ahead of other big men, surprisingly quick. I'd be interested in seeing him take a Knight like mid range shot, from about the elbow because he's not a bad free throw shooter.

I can only assume he came from a league where no one boxed out though because he just launches at the ball over anyone without any idea of positioning.

Reply #656496 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PeterJohn

Damn.

Speculation was futile.

Forgot about them. The NBL really has had a lot of teams though.

Makes sense that Tasmania would have 2 Historical teams to go with the dual crania (is that the right plural???? Like stadia/ stadium).

Reply #656498 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

PeterJohn

I salute your dedication to NBL history, geography and cartography.

Reply #656499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of TAS shout out to the coastal Devonport Warriors.

Reply #656529 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Cooke just needs to hold on to his rebounds a bit better instead of fumbling or trying to pass straight away when coming down.. a couple of silly turnovers from that.

Just settle it down.

Reply #656544 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Needs minutes!

Reply #656555 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754