MELHOOPS
Years ago

Norwood Classic 2018

Hi All,

Interested in learning whether on not SA teams are likely to support the Norwood Classic in 2018 or not. Our club is again looking to send teams in several age groups and want to understand the likelihood of seeing the best SA teams. We will travel regardless as it's a great opportunity to share some quality time as a team but would definitely be great to know.

Amy insight would be appreciated.

MELHOOPS

Topic #42144 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say no...

Reply #656300 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

No.......

Reply #656318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been taking teams from my club in Melbourne to this tournament for decades, however we aren't coming any more, as you only play other Melbourne teams.

What's the point in going all the way to Adelaide to play 4 out of your 5 games against Melbourne teams?

Maybe the SA clubs could support each other?

Reply #656325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA is pathetic.

Reply #656328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed Diamond Valley have announced an invitational tournament over the Easter Weekend for next year. Who gets invited and will it have an effect on the numbers going to SA?

Reply #656331 | Report this post

Years ago

we are going in it - IMO it's a bit early to know what teams will be in

Reply #656336 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's a funny thing with these tournaments.

When we (ie SA) used to go to the Melbourne tourneys we had the same problems. Travel all that way to get your passport stamped to say you've been to Mexico and then end up playing South Adelaide, West Adelaide and North Adelaide.

The organisers really need to mix it all up.

Reply #656343 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It is badly run now unfortunately. Also, there is junior state champs about 6 weeks later here in SA, then good teams look to classics in Melbourne a month after that.

All the tourneys start to wear out families.

It is a shame, but it is what it is.. not very good.

Reply #656507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just to let the Melbournites know that other clubs run carnivals in SA plus the Christmas BSA carnival run out of Woodville. Beatcats Mid Year. Jan Carnival at Centrals, Mildura and many others in outer country and Mildura our border cousins. All are well attended by all clubs in SA but they do clash with Vic tournaments who SA supports every year making the trek to Vic, and many teams go to Jan and June so expensive but they do it. The Norwood tournament is not well supported being Easter firstly, the only time many families and friends are guaranteed to have time together for extended time leading in to our school holidays which are a week apart from Vic's, secondly there is politics that Norwood has created themselves with other clubs. Do not judge SA by 1 club. Others would love to hold tournaments but stadium availability and clashes with existing tournamanents and pacific school games, masters etc mean with limited stadiums here in SA the opportunity to run them is limited. Our state champs are May and ECC, SCC and Eltham are January. Families also need a break as well and we are not a wealthy state so for many families funds are limited. So that’s the bigger pictures. See you in January though for Eltham Dandenong. Already booked in with many many SA teams from most clubs, probably not Norwood though as they are one that does not usually support your tournaments ironically!

Reply #656509 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^^ don't know about above, Norwood supports Eltham really well i think. Don't get me wrong, i am no fan of the politics displayed of late by the club but they definitely support Eltham pretty well.

I wish the Easter Classic was building, but it is dying.

Shame the most well known tourny in SA is that one.

Bearcats midyear is a good one, doesn't clash and when St Clair, port adelaide and Rockets stadiums are re done.. it will be a very good one IMO

Reply #656526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bearcats Carnival ( Div 2) $250
Eltham Carnival $90team cost, $35 per player ( 8 players total cost $370)
Nunawading June Carnival $400
Norwood Easter Carnival $440

there's your answer

Reply #656556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country has their U18 State Champs the same time as Eltham now. Going to be interesting to see if these kids go with their club teams or play country champs?

Reply #656577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cost is a major factor in entering my team, as well as supporting Norwood's major fundraiser. But as raised, most clubs are Victorian, and rest of tournaments here are low grade. If sturt/forestville got their act together and combined forces and north teamed up with centrals with Australia day, then they could become attractive. But politics as usual get in way.
And stadiums are an embarrassment, thank god the new ones are on way. But imagine Victorian teams playing at arc on undersized courts with all the money they're paying. But it's become more of tradition to head over for team building than anything else imo

Reply #656670 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Over priced over rated and under subscribed by local clubs. Norwood expects everyone to support but give nil back. The arc is not the golden goose and not really disappointing as be was predicted to be new basketball hub but little more serviceable than mars really.

Reply #657073 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Melbourne clubs have the luxury of a very consistent calendar and Norwood Classic presents a perfect opportunity to get away with the team and family over an extended weekend, I personally wouldn't make the effort for a 3 day weekend as we drive for Easter and that is actually part of the fun and enjoyment of the weekend.

As for the Adelaide teams not supporting the tournament because it’s run by Norwood, I think the other clubs need to get over themselves and take the opportunity to play against the Melbourne teams on your own turf. Furthermore playing quality opponents 6 weeks before State Champs would be a huge positive in my opinion and a great opportunity to get better.

A question for the SA crowd....of the teams not playing at Norwood who makes the decision to avoid this tournament, clubs or individual teams

Reply #657120 | Report this post

BobnCat  
Years ago

Generally the individual teams, MELHOOPS. However I know at times it has been a directive by club directors.
This is a problem that will never end within the current climate. Too many differences by club execs that in the end, answer to its members.
If Basketball Adelaide gets its act together and the word is, it is, then maybe a compromise of sorts could be tabled at some future meeting.
For basketball to continue to improve in this state, it really does need a successful tournament where interstate clubs want to come and participate, for a multitude of reasons.
Just my thoughts and I am not a Norwood supporter!

Reply #657263 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

MELHOOPS - Adelaide clubs do play against Melbourne clubs, just in Melbourne (which OUR kids prefer) as they too, like the trip and experience.

see the issue? somethings gotta give and at easter, playing a badly run tournament in the same stadiums the kids always play in isn't really very enticing.

Reply #657381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA participation in Vic tournaments is actually very encouraging. Kudos there for sure. Even when they are outmanned they still show up with parents and support their players.

Reply #672743 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

My first time to this tournament from Melbourne and I've got to say the quality of stadiums and refereeing was terrible. The semi final last night was played on a parquetry floor on concrete at a high school. Two players who hit the floor were taken off, one to hospital. Refs had no control and appeared to be smiling when one of the players went down. They were also conferring with another guy off court which looked a bit strange.
All the boys put in all tournament but not sure about its running.

Just my thoughts...perhaps others went to better stadiums with proper refs.

Reply #681922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:06 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754