Splinky
Years ago

Perth need more scoring power

Watching the Perth v NZ game tonight, and looking at the box scores, it is apparent that Perth need more scoring punch if they are to challenge for the three-peat.

This needs to be a no expense spared exercise. Sydney saved some cash, lost games on the road, and have now brought in guns to help sell tickets at home and build a playoff run.

Now the Cats need to find another scoring option. As has been mentioned in the game thread, Steindl is the best Aussie option out there at the moment, and he makes sense so let's get him in.

Cooke Jr also has to go. Seems a nice guy, and tries hard, but he's too raw. I don't feel confidant with him on the floor. I like his size but I don't think he's our best option. As others have said, where is DUNIGAN?!

Topic #42151 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

This is what I've said in the past but have been proven wrong.

They're only an average offensive team but its their D that makes them great.

Knowing Perth, they will sign someone who helps them from here. Steindl obviously gives good scoring help. Brandt and Cooke the only real options at 5 but if those 2 are healthy depth won't be an issue.

Reply #656502 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Or they might go like for like. If Khazzouh is healthy he ticks the "extra big" box and the scoring box at the same time

Reply #656503 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Perth lost by 4 points to the in form team on their home deck...I don't think they need additional scoring power - they are fine as they are.

Reply #656505 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perth lost! The sky is falling!

Reply #656506 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Agree with Tornado, This is a RELAX moment. We have never played well in NZ and to only go down by 4 is a good effort.
Perth has always been built around defence and once Tokoto finds his feet, He, Cotton, and Brandt with Wagstaff off the bench will carry the scoring load.

Reply #656512 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

Other fans accept their team losing an away game to the most in form team in the league by 4 points.

Wildcats fans demand better.

It's a standard thing most fans of other NBL teams wouldn’t understand.

The wildcats and fans are held to a different standard.

It’s why we are generally better than your favourite team.

Reply #656513 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

^ Haha so that means making knee jerk reactions to one loss?? Ok

Reply #656514 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Perth have always lacked scoring power particularly from the perimeter but have still managed to play the game to their strengths. However this year they lack a little more scoring as prather was more of an accumulator than tokoto.
I do agree with the general view that if Steindl is available he would be a handy pick up and provide some extra scoring. Cooke is more of a project and not what they need right now. Im certain they will be replacing him mid season with the right type of player.
Would be very nice if it was the return of the Dunigan. As i recall he was replacing Knight last time he was here

Reply #656515 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Wildcats lost by 4 but the margin wasn't a total reflection of the game. The last quarter and a half saw NZ is total control and they virtually cruised to the line, they were up by 10 with a few minutes left but NZ took the pedal off and cruised to a victory. It was never in doubt.

Perth has what it needs to win, the team is good enough, but it's all mental, they need to mentally adjust to games played away from home. They are a totally different team in Perth than the one playing away. Too many passengers, or perhaps they mentally rely on the crowd (Red Army). Why the Red Army helps the team it should not ever come to that when playing basketball.

An away victory is counted as a win and a half. Get the job done in NZ against NZ is massive, it closes the gap between the teams and makes the march towards finals so much easier.

Now the Wildcats face a must win game on Sunday because if they lose that then NZ creates a mini-break from them and the rest of the competition and Perth loses at home.

Massive, must win game on Sunday in Perth.

I don't think those guys mention would do much for Perth. They just need someone with the balls to stand up away from home, someone with the passion, the heart, and the will to perform at their best possession after possession in away games.

Reply #656516 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I think calling it a four point loss is flattering for them. It was a double digit lead until the last minute. Yes NZ are the form team and on their own deck but there's no point in not looking for ways to improve. Sometimes that means replacing players

Reply #656517 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong - by all means I hope Perth start the import merry-go-round again this year, especially if it's off the back off a not-so-terrible loss on the road. What's Jaron Johnson up to, he could boost that bench.

Reply #656521 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction to one loss. The bench looks that much weaker with Knight gone from it. He's a guy you could rely on at both ends, and offensively he was not the liability that Cooke Jr is so far.
I don't think the sky is falling, but I'm sure the Cats will be monitoring the bench production pretty closely over the next few games.
Our starters work well together but we're swimming against the tide whenever a couple of them have to sit.

Reply #656523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They lost by 4 on the road to the form team of the league - take a chill pill. But Cairns is is 1-1 +8 over NZ nnonly lost on the buzzer to NZ - quick we need Dunnigan rofl

Reply #656534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire has no business still being in this league

Reply #656538 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

+1 on Greg Hire

Reply #656539 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The bench unit needs time to adjust there systems without knight before anything drastic happens. We missed knights board work and pick and roll defence more than anything, wow the p and r d was bad. Had we hot a few calls in the last we probably deserved, that big lead likely doesn't eventuate, 4pts is about right for the margin. Cooke, I would like to see steindl take hires mins, hire looks to have lost a step, he struggled to stay in front of Penney!

Reply #656540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you see Garlep and Ellis not getting minutes (and both being better contributors) , Hire is kind of privileged to still be playing at NBL level. Time to go.

Reply #656541 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Gotta be honest, whilst a win is always better than a loss,
to go down fighting, by 4 points, to a flying NZ in Auckland, is a pretty fair effort.

Similarly, scoring 29 points, in a 10-minute 4th quarter, in Auckland against the Breakers, does not speak to a lack of firepower.

With Waxy in such good form, I'd say they are better offensively than they have been for a while.

Now having said all that, obviously they need to find another player, plus need to resolve the DC question.

Whether it is Cooke getting his game on, or a replacement, I would prefer they target rim-protection and rebounding.

But for the replacement player, yes, I think a scorer like Steindl would be ideal.

Reply #656546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke providers rim protection and rebound.

His ground defense and off-ball defense is his weakness.

Reply #656551 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Steindl put up some good numbers in Townsville, which was a pretty bad team, with few decent contributors. He put up some decent numbers in the NBL pre-season in a Wildcats jersey. They had as much opportunity to sign him as anyone else. They didn't.

He went to Europe, and played three games, producing 4.67 points (0/6 2p, 3/11 3p) and 1.33 rebounds in 23 minutes per game. That's 0% from inside the arc. 27% from outside. 14 points in 69 minutes of basketball. He doesn't rebound, and we all know he's an open gate on defence.

Perth should definitely sign him. LMFAO.

Reply #656561 | Report this post

Splinky  
Years ago

Luuuc summed up my views nicely. The bench production is off. When the starters take a break, there's nobody really with a scorer's mentality (or at least a scorer's capability!).

The bench needs a gunner - an irrational confidence guy. At the moment the bench is full of meat and potatoes dudes, all working hard to make cuts, set screens, etc. but nobody is there to take the game by the scruff of the neck.

Reply #656565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^

Wagstaff is that guy

Reply #656566 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Wagstaff's ego writes checks that his body can't cash.

Reply #656570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That makes no sense

Reply #656573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's true.

Reply #656574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something that makes no sense is true? Ok.

Reply #656576 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We're blessed to have Wagstaff coming off the bench, but he's not really an aggressive scorer. (Which isn't to say that he doesn't get points, but it's usually at the end of good work by others)
Would be nice to have someone playing the 2010 Cattalini role, or the 2017 Penney role.
Steindl has the potential to be that guy.

Reply #656579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How salty are Taipans fans.

Reply #656580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replace 'ego' with 'ability' is how I read it. Yes, it doesn't make sense actually.

Reply #656581 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Short term we need Steindl to join Wagstaff in giving us scoring punch from the bench.
Hire and Kenny won't keep the scoreboard ticking over.
DKD has potential but isn't getting opportunity and it won't surprise me to see him go after the season.

Reply #656582 | Report this post

NBL Lover  
Years ago

Two players the Wildcats should target is Jervis and Johnson, both from WA, Kalgoorlie and Bunbury.

Reply #656588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ isn't from Bunbury.

Reply #656590 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

So now we have mid season trading in the NBL?

Reply #656591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DKD is very good scorer, but for some reason doesn't get much time, was excellent in preseason.

Reply #656592 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see who is available at seasons end.
Could Hire and Kenny be replaced by Bragg and Vague?
Resigning Brandt should be a priority.

Reply #656595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandt is signed until 2020

Reply #656599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just signed Steindl so there you go!

Reply #656611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Source?

Reply #656616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lachlan Reid Esquire III

Reply #656617 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Any real source?

Reply #656619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would that not be a reliable source? He's on the money 99% of the time.

Reply #656620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooke's definitely on the chopping block now.

DKD and Hire court time going to be downgraded.

Reply #656621 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hire's playing time should be downgraded

Reply #656624 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

"DJ isn't from Bunbury."

I wish he was.

Would have saved me growing up getting flogged by Willetton whenever we matched up with them in districts and high school league. No other team had anyone that big.

Reply #656627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the Breaker's interior offense and ball movement was much better than the Wildcats. Also, their defense of Brandt was excellent. Perth have been playing off the threat of Brandt overpowering opposition centers, which didn't seem to happen against NZ (didn't get to see the whole game though). Brandt has been great, but doesn't seem to have a lot of scoring options.

I think Perth's scorers are a little too opportunistic in general, rather than having go to moves that offer credible threats on a reliable basis. I've always liked having a couple of post players around with a variety of moves, to create opportunities for themselves or others.

I think Tokoto has a reasonable turn around shot, but isn't going to move any bodies, and doesn't seem to have reliable interior penetration. Doesn't seem to love physicality.

Cooke may be able to get past some defenders on a drop step, but maybe lacks a little on fundamental foot work and ball handling. Some of his finishes seem a bit soft too, though he has showed nice touch on some lay ups.

At his best, Knight was a nice option for paint scoring, mid range catch and shoot that demanded respect, solid interior defense and boards, and good at switching/rotating on defense. He hasn't been as much of a post scorer recently, though it is still a lot to replace from a line up.

I thought there were some issues with the reffing in NZ, but mostly in terms of consistency. There were some obvious bad calls, but things like bumping or hand checking the ball handler were just unpredictable. Illegal screen calls were all over the place. So many travels just ignored. I thought maybe Cotton ended up a bit too focused on the calls rather than finishing strong.

Reply #656640 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

Nice. Channel 10 news with the $100,000 exclusive. All the best Clint.

Reply #656641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yay Steindl

Reply #656646 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Should've signed him when Townsville folded also Norton could've taken over d Martin.

Reply #656650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Norton could've taken over d Martin.'

wat

Reply #656665 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Totally agree with Kenny, he was in really good form in pre season but already I've completely forgotten that and wondering when he gets injured so we can see more Mason Bragg as he actually attacks the rim.

Watching Perth @ NZ it was obvious just how much better Ili is today than Kenny and I think it's almost time we send him out to pasture along with Hire of whom used to be an exceptional offensive rebounder but you just don't see that as part of his game anymore (I mean when he was playing for a contract and court time he used to hustle everything down but now that isn't there.

DKD feels like a lost cause, I can see so much talent in him but he lacks confidence and a killer instinct and he won't reach any great heights in the NBL unless that changes.

I think the Wildcats will be fine but walker and Brandt didn't give us much and Cotton seemed more interested in drawing contact and getting the foul than putting the ball in the bucket.

Steindl will be an interesting addition.

I like the analysis on Tokoto and reminds me of AJ Ogilvy in terms of not liking that physicality but there is a reason he isn't in the NBA and that's to work on his flaws and hopefully that is something that can be worked on

Reply #656679 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Kenny frustrates me at times. He needs to be aggressive, when he does he is quite a good finisher and has a decent jump shot.

Reply #656681 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Cooke providers rim protection and rebound.

His ground defense and off-ball defense is his weakness.

Yes which is why I said him "getting his game on" is a good solution.
ie: I wouldn't want them to drop him simply to chase more points, as I don't think that is necessary.

Reply #656719 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754