Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Illawarra, Nov 11

Adelaide v Illawarra, Nov 11

November 11 is a big day in Australia. Remembrance Day, the day Gough was sacked and the day they hung Ned Kelly. It's also the day the Sixers Import Josh Childress makes him debut on home court.

Tonight, we get to see if the Sixers are Roosters or feather dusters, and if Illawarra have the steely resolve to make the 4.

Rocket Rotnei is leading the way in the scoring, as you would expect. At 46% outside the arc, Sixers guards would be well advised not give him the room he wants. AJ is leading in the rebounds and while DJ and AJ have shared many a moment as juniors, I'm thinking Matty Hodgson will have his hands full, leaving DJ to challenge the Rocket in who can get the most outside the arc.

Now I don't want to speak Ill of Warra, but you would think these are the away games they need to win to play finals. If Sobes is sitting on the bench for most of the game, Joey might be helping them get there. If Joey needs someone to warm a bench, there's plenty of takers out there. For a slab of Crownies I would even don a singlet and swing a towel occasionally.

Sixers need to regroup after their road trip and slot a win. Tonight I think they will.

Sixers by 5

Topic #42158 | Report this topic

Big Ads  
Years ago

A slab of crownies! You turkey, you have priced yourself out of the towel waving market. Perhaps a six pack of Hahn super dry.

Besides, the Sixers need a towel waver who will put the needs of the team before his own, and not just wave a towel when you feel like it.

I suppose you'll tell us next that the Sixers offended you by never putting an offer to you!

Try Melbourne or Sydney pal.

Reply #656673 | Report this post

Anon1980  
Years ago

Really look forward to this one. Are the hawks playing worse than last year (with upgrades) has the league gotten better ? Will be interesting to watch

Reply #656684 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Big Ads, ha. It's a hard life waving towels.
You're right, most offended, only offered a half drunk, warm echo of Southwark Bitter. Maybe I'll try the Turkish league.

Reply #656685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitting on the bench waving the towel. Wasn't that darren ngs old job?

Reply #656695 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Jack

You've gone from a drinkable drop in Crown to the dreaded green death, Southwark Bitter.

Would you wave a towel for an unopened 70s era green death? Don’t even ask me how I sourced 1 on AEST time zone.

Reply #656718 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

I would wave the towel for some "green death", Jonnie Walker that is!

Nice to see your back Jack. Sense of humor intact. lol

Hope we don't have to start up a Sobey chant tonight!

Reply #656748 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Congers defence is shit house

Reply #656820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks are no better then the Kings.

Reply #656822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis not used again for an entire half Bevo is nothing but an arrogant wanker.

Reply #656823 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #656825 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Combinations are up the Joey the last 3 games .
Teys should not hit the court .
Too many like for like players and there is a silent D in DJ . This team is going nowhere and it will only make for unhappy players at the end of the season .

Reply #656832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice of the incompetent refs to totally ignore Conger elbowing Teys and giving him free throws. Pathetic.

Reply #656833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Adelaide lose this, surely Joey is inline for a further 3 years added on that large contract! That's what they do right? Reward mediocrity?

Reply #656835 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

We need a physical rebounding and rim protecting presence . Hodgson has turned into a Biatch . DJ is one , why play them together ??
Childress is a very good player but a terrible fit .
More Moore and More Drmic . Less rotations .
NO TEYS !

Reply #656836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capitulation from Sixers. Pathetic.

Reply #656837 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

We have 7 wing players in our rotation .

Reply #656838 | Report this post

dougys  
Years ago

Joey has destroyed the team mojo and confidence

Reply #656839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Washed up childress

Reply #656840 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Who ever put this team together needs to be fired

Reply #656841 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Dougys , spot on ... it is just an ill fitting team .
It simply will not work . Too much of the same .
Too many players expecting to get theirs .
ZERO team defense and ZERO physical presence .
In a word SULKY .

Reply #656842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth and NZ will demolish this team

Reply #656843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Bevo's call to play a player lol he is the coach thats his job.

Reply #656846 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Did you bother to read the article?

Reply #656847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey has lost his team. DJ never backchata and today he did. Sobey bullied and given no opportunities and Creek lazy D. Time for the new head Bean counter in charge to send him on a forced holiday and reset, forget Brooks too, he couldn't get a Premier League team the wins at two clubs. Let York’s take the reins and see what she can do. Couldn’t be any worse... something is really wrong at the Arena, could it be the new corporate structure ? Anyone have any inside info. I feel for the players, we’ll be losing some for sure and none of us want that to happen

Reply #656848 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

That article was unsubstantiated tosh

Reply #656850 | Report this post

GrannyPanties  
Years ago

Drmic and Sobey will leave . Deng likely also .
Teys is toast . Childress done . DJ soft as butter .
Hodgson a quick fouling sook.
It is a mess !!!!!!

THE PLAYERS EGOS HAVE EXCEEDED THE EXPECTATIONS OF THEMSELVES THEREFORE DO NOT WANT TO DO THE HARD WORK FOR EACH OTHER .

Reply #656851 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That article was unsubstantiated tosh
The Garlepp situation is widely known, and the Ellis situation was reported here as well.

Reply #656852 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Two or three things that worry me right now

Teys is there for what? What does he bring as a leader?
They signed Wright for how many years to bring what?

Right now, Scott Ninnis could coach a lowly team over 36ers.
Where's Marty Clarke? Whats he doing? *shudders*

Adelaide 36ers; This is your life

Reply #656856 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

DJ really had no right backchatting anyone - he was absolute trash tonight. He deserved to get ripped by the coach.

That said, Joey coached really poorly in that last qtr. He had no answers when the momentum swung.

Reply #656859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Feel Creek Hodgson and Sobey are different players since their stint with Lemanis. Yes they won with the Boomers but back here in NBL land where the game is vastly different especially the opposition Lemanis ball doesn't cut it. Just look at the Bullets. Sad days, this appears to be a coaching issue and corporate problem. Which instigated the problems who knows but bean counters are now in charge and leadership from OS. What is wrong ?

Reply #656860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey gonna get a large payout. He has lost this team, they aren't responding.

Reply #656861 | Report this post

Doug  
Years ago

The 4th quarter was bad to watch. Run a pick and roll, do something. AJ can't defend a pick and roll or pop at all. Instead they pass it around at the 3 point line for 20 seconds and let Ramone conjure something up.

Reply #656867 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"If Adelaide lose this, surely Joey is inline for a further 3 years added on that large contract! That's what they do right? Reward mediocrity?"

Thanks for that stud boy. Lets look at your predictions from last year.

You mentioned teams would work Randle out. He ended up being MVP

You predicted us to finish last and that we needed 3 studs to even be competitive. We finished first

You constantly mentioned your hate for Wright. He ended up being coach of the year.

You said you didn't rate our Australian contingent. Only team to have an Australian in the first team as well as an Australian in the second team. Drmic was also rookie of the year.

Massive egg on your face with your predictions last season but keep talking like you know what you are talking about... We know you will come out of the woods whenever they have a bad game with your fantastic opinion. Keep acting like you're a supporter of the team also...

whoever the following clown is

"DJ never backchata and today he did."

Was this your first game? How cute. DJ has constantly back chatted through the years.

"Sobey bullied and given no opportunities"

He has been given plenty of opportunities.

"Creek lazy D"

One of the best defenders in the league. Nice of you to bag him when he has an off game.

Reply #656868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan Teys wouldn't make my social starting lineup

Reply #656869 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"The 4th quarter was bad to watch. Run a pick and roll, do something."

Thanks for that Doug but Hawks are playing a zone. Pick and rolls don't work like that in zones....

We weren't effective against the zone but it was the poor defense that was the issue.

Reply #656871 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Defence is the issue and that is a i want to do thing. Clearly not too many want to do the hard work.lot of pretty boy give me the ball. But when shotsnot dropping got to find another way to contribute. I do think teys ar least brings that energy maybe he needs to have lock down role and turn defense into offense through pressure. Not sure who else is prepared to work arse off to turn this around. But again is probably first bad game or quarter for season so still plenty upside.

Reply #656875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers comfortably winning = barely any posts
Sixers stutter = wave of entries

Hey, at least it gives this site content.

Reply #656883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll retract the above - didn't realise it was a home game.

Reply #656884 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

First quarter Sixers run and gun for 30 pts.

Second quarter Hawks increased their defensive intensity as they needed to. Sixers quit the run and gun game became slow to inbound and content to pass around looking for the outside shots. It appeared as if Joey had said we are winning this so easily lets do some work on our outside game and tune up some outside shooting. Probably definitely not the case but that's how it looked! A complete change in offensive strategy, not caused by the Hawks defense as the Sixer's stopped the fast inbound, the running game and dawdled the play down the court.

Third quarter " " "

Fourth quarter " " "

Probably not the case but that's how it looked. As if Joey said we will play the game from outside from the second quarter and continue for the rest of the game and guys, make it work. Move the ball around and tune up our outside shooting.

Well from 3 point range for the game Sixers were 6/24 @ 25% and don't know stats from mid range but I think pretty poor overall. Game just became scrappy.

Sixers have to have both a hard running inside and outside game and they need to be competitive with the better teams from range. They need to use the bench better to sustain intensity from start to finish.

Joey needs to finesse his on court combinations with balance to sustain that intensity.

How many members tonight were asking the question,. Why are are we cruising with only a ten point buffer when Clark might hit a couple of back to back threes and we'll be in trouble.

Ok that's how I thought it looked. That's my disappointment rant!

So tell me what really happened. What do we need to do about it? Who and what is and isn't working together well?

???

Reply #656889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get rid of white shirts!

Reply #656893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks then daylight

Reply #656900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't think Joey not wrecking this team then you don't sit near their bench
He is at them all the time and not letting them play a natural game .
He has destroyed Sobeys confidence and after giving huge bakes to Shannon , DJ and Creek they were hopeless.
Childress was showing massive frustration hopefully at himself.
Can we put money in a fund to pay this guy out ASAP.
Having Teys as our captain is just hilarious if it wasn't our team.

Reply #656905 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Not looking at the schedule but I know the 36ers have to play Hawks 3 times, Bullets 4 times and Wildcats 4 times... gotta imagine that those teams will want to be facing a shellshocked 36ers team sooner rather than later.

You can dissect this game a number of ways but to me the telling stat was that Illawarra got to the foul line and regardless how awful they looked, it kept them well and truly in the game.

Joey seems like an unconventional coach to me but could he start his bench vs Kings

Moore, Teys, Drmic, Childress and Deng, not a terrible starting line up and you prevent Hodgson from getting those early fouls that seem to be throwing his whole game off this season.

Well done the Conger and Illawarra, was a fun last quarter to watch for sure

Reply #656909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely would look to start Childress instead of Hodgson.

Reply #656916 | Report this post

Tickle me Cosby  
Years ago

Something is not right with this team. Joey said post game 3-4 players are not buying in and it's not hard to figure out who he's talking about. Sobey has been benched and lost confidence, Hodgson and DJ both yelled at and both had words back at Joey abd Shorter was also benched and given a war full.

This needs to be solved quick or this year will be over very soon, we have the talent but it looks as if everyone is walking on egg shells afraid to play the carefree game that worked so well last year.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, if anyone can shed some light I'd love to know what's going on.

Reply #656921 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Sobey was locked in mentally tonight. Was giving it his all on D. he tried to force things a bit offensively though, but i dont blame him for that. Clearly wanted to have a statement game but things werent falling for him.

What can be done with the current roster to improve the D and in particular interior D?

Would a starting lineup work with:

Shorter
Drmic
Creek
DJ
Childress

Could have Moore, Sobey, Hodgson with the 2nd unit

Reply #656926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out coached yet again. Joey needs talent and can't get it done against a better coach.

Reply #656927 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Starting unit second unit. Its about intensity. Reinstate creek as captain he leads. Teys great bloke good foot soldier not a leader. Need on court leader general. Someone who says follow me and shows the way. Sadly teys is at the rear. He cant be vocal he cant show the way. Dj shouts at coach. Well dj show same aggro at oposition. Joey is on your side.

Reply #656928 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

I agree that Creek should be made Captain. But from a practical point of view, im not sure that's going to make a difference. The Captain turns up for photo shoots. You dont need to have the formal label of Captain to be a leader on the court.

Reply #656929 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Yeah but if you are the captain you should be leading on the court. Teys cant do that. Not the problem but is a part of it.

Reply #656931 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If not with the Randle meltdown at the end of last season I suspected there were problems in the group when Creek was sacked as captain of the team and it was given to Joey's boy Teys who to be fair is fortunate to still even be in the league.

Then the Sobey thing and now numerous players giving it back to Joey on the sidelines I can see a bit of an exodus after the season if things don't get sorted quickly.

Reply #656932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So nothing has changed since Semi Final Game 3. Bevo loving it!

Reply #656934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ will be a Wildcat next season book it. Gleeson almost got him before a late hour change of mind and hence staying in Adelaide. W

Reply #656943 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If DJ is a Wildcat next year, then the rebounding skills of both teams will improve

Reply #656948 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why would the Wildcats want a soft centre? Plenty of others keen to come to Perth who will play with more commitment than DJ.

Reply #656952 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'll be brutally honest I wouldn't mind DJ moving on next season at all. I've thought that the last 1-2 seasons.

When he has a poor shooting night which is happening more often now he's a complete liability to have on the court, his rebounding drops away and he's always been poor defensively anyway.

He served his purpose in the Marty Clarke years but you're never going to win anything with him and we were fortunate to even make a GF with him in 2014. He hamstrings the team too much so that if a Hodgson/Schenscher type isn't adequately doing the stuff DJ isn't interested in it throws everything out.

I know it's not his game to go down low and he's too old to change now but it kills me seeing a 7'0" guy having 0-10 or 1-7 shooting nights. It's just unforgivable.

No matter what happens this season I'd like to see the club make a clean break from him this time.

Reply #656954 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So DJ leaves at end of season, what sort of reception would he receive upon returning to Adelaide?

Would it depend completely on the team or is his legacy with 36ers already sealed for good or bad?

Reply #657114 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

God, I can just imagine how happy Perth fans would be if he jumps ship to the Wildcats and has one of his patent 1-9 shooting games with 4 rebounds and 8 defensive errors.

DJ has his moments, but he's a bit like Ogilvy where he is too easily taken out of games mentally and then becomes a complete liability, especially when going up against more physical opponents.

Reply #657129 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've seen people suggest moving on Johnson and Hodgson. Then what? Not a great number of better, local bigs around, so you're relying on imports. And I don't know if Adelaide is a drawcard location that will easily attract recruits.

Reply #657140 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be moving on from Hodgson just yet. Yes, he's had a bad start to the season but he was good in his role last season so no reason to think he can't get back to that level.

Reply #657148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd?

Reply #657185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754