Peter
Years ago

AFL clubs to buy NBL teams

Apparently Collingwood are looking to enter a team in the NBL.

This may increase the exposure of the league but is it a good thing?

Will they attempt to attract players to their to convert them to footy?

At the very least it suggests the AFL are now noticing basketball as a viable sport / league.

Topic #42188 | Report this topic

Peter  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/nbl-confirms-afl-clubs-are-keen-to-create-basketball-teams-to-be-part-of-leagues-expansion/news-story/a9b56301d8d6334b41866797a9be017a

Reply #657375 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thats great and all, and the upside is potentially huge. However I dont really want to see too much of an AFL influence in the NBL. The branding alone and constant reference to the AFL during the season would probably put me off a little (in the same way as the netball league does, which I follow closely)

Just dont want to see an 'invasion' of sorts from the AFL and NRL where the AFL brand is being pushed into the NBL.

Plus, whos to say Collingwood (for example) decide to withdraw the team after only a few years? Will there be stability?

Reply #657378 | Report this post

Eddie  
Years ago

If we have a basketball team, can I join this forum??

Reply #657394 | Report this post

TokotoRulz  
Years ago

As long as there's no shorts shorts and spamming of AFL stuff then I'm all for this.

Reply #657406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hell no.

Collingwood had an NSL team for one season.

Then they got bored with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingwood_Warriors_S.C.

Reply #657410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dean-brogan-warns-nbl-to-prevent-players-from-being-poached-by-afl-clubs-amid-expansion-talks/news-story/77434de53910f976f01b87701aa29be6

Reply #657432 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think it COULD work outside of Melbourne, but as I said in the last thread, the splintering of fans between 9 teams in Melbourne means its not viable. Supposedly, the United rebrand was to combat this very issue. To bring in a club like Collingwood would mean, while they have a huge supporter base, you are instantly putting off 80%+ of the city.

Geelong may well be ok. Freo was another one mentioned in the article but I dont know enough about Perth sport. Seems risky. I imagine most wildcats fans are split fairly evenly between the Dockers and Eagles

Reply #657438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cram you are correct.

LK creates a united NBL Melbourne team yet now is going to complete opposite direction. Why you ask? Because his China ideas fell through and now he is desperate for a new avenue.

Reply #657439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I tend to think Cram is right about Melbourne too. As soon as you align a team with an AFL club you will pretty much put off 90% of AFL fans from supporting it, and Melbourne has a lot of AFL fans!

Reply #657440 | Report this post

Greybuoy  
Years ago

Any NBL team current or future that puts its faith and financial security in the hands of a competitor code/club is ignorant of history and ignorant of 'due diligence'.
Ask a one-season NBL coach of close acquaintance; ask Denis Donaghy, prime driver of Taipans 101; ask individual members of the present Taipans Board.
They will all recall with varying degrees of distaste the screwing-over they were forced to put behind them.
[Phrasing intentional.]
And this happened in a small close-knit community. No one said "it's just business".
Simply, people were forced to adopt the far-away stare and pretend life was going on as normal.
When it really is "just business", as inevitably it must, the League can expect further reversals. If too many organisations follow the model the consequences for the code become more acute.
'Organic growth', fertilised by the likes of Anthony Stewart or whoever, attracting genuine community relevance or unambivalent philanthropy, is the only way forward IMHO.

Reply #657522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone that puts their faith in the NBL long term is deluded.

Reply #657523 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I like the comment about barcelona. That model is such a good one to follow for the club itself and its supporter base.

Reply #657625 | Report this post

SportShmort  
Years ago

NBL expansion? AFL footy clubs with NBL basketball teams?
This looks like a job for a bunch of hastily made, shoddily constructed logo mashups.
https://twitter.com/SportShmort/status/931307002193678337

Reply #657985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got the teams and their respective cities wrong.

Reply #657987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the suns one actually looks kinda cool lol

Reply #657988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This reminds me of how awful AFL team names and logos are. Vomit.

Reply #657989 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754