Jack Toft
Years ago

Illawarra v Sydney, Nov 16

Well, just when you though the 2018 NBL season was as exciting as helping grandma go shopping for haemorrhoid cream, along pops the Ant Man.

A week ago I would have said put a fork in Sydney, and give the Hawks one final turn on the barbie. A stoic win against the Sixers last round has elevated my opinion of the Hawks and while Sydney were double dacked against Melbourne, the addition of Randle to the side offers hope to Sydney fans.

This game will provide a litmus test to how the rest of the season will go for these teams. A win tonight will secure the bragging rights in the cockroach state.

I would tip a winner, but it seems whoever I tip seems to fade away in the fourth.

Topic #42195 | Report this topic

Anon1980  
Years ago

Does anyone know 100% if Ant Man is playing?

Reply #657557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle has been cleared. He's playing.

Reply #657561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Randle's first two games:

@ ILL
@ ADL

Awesome scheduling ;)

Nice welcome back.

Reply #657564 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Never mind Randle.

This is a minority contest here. Both teams represent the same time zone. There are only 4 possible intra- time zone tussles in the NBL currently.

Other NBL time zone fun facts:
If the Sydney Kings took a home game to Broken Hill (still in NSW) they could potentially play on their visitor's time zone (vs Adelaide, the most logical opponent). They would thus have home court advantage, with the 36ers having home time zone advantage;
If the NBL prioritised time zone expansion over market expansion when introducing new teams they could add another unique time zone by adding a team from Norfolk Island (an Australian territory so still "National"). Maybe the Tall Pines or similar. Not sure of Norfolk’s venue capacity (or existence even). Population of Norfolk Island is under 2000, so crowds may be a bit on the small side.

Another crucial question is:
how many oktaves of cloud cover are we expecting for this game?

Reply #657575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This stopped being funny after your first post.

Reply #657576 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

No, it's serious.

You’d be surprised how much impact time zone changes have on business, services such as hospitals, transport and trade. Experts calculate the cost of time zone differences in multi-millions of dollars. China uses a single time zone to exert central control over a diverse population and large geographical area.

Try telling DFAT that time zones aren’t important.

Reply #657578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that the NBL occurs in summer, Darwin would be another possible location with a different time zone. Christmas Island would be another, but with similar population issues to Norfolk, not to mention the scarce flights.

Reply #657587 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Think we might have started a movement here.

No word yet on oktaves of cloud cover for game day though.

Reply #657588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks by 2 and only 6 hawks fans covered with sauce,

Reply #657594 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Kings will win this... my Ladbrokes account balance depends on it

Reply #657599 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I'll have to disagree with my William Hill bankroll, Manu! I'm going to have to take the Hawks by -4.5 or something to make it worthwhile, but with no mention of even needing to actually play some defence from any of the Kings this past week, Hawks will romp this in at home and no doubt see some more disorganised mess from the Kings...

Reply #657607 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Umm excuse me but Handle Randle will dismantle. Hell, he'll do it in jandals. They can't hold a candle

Reply #657609 | Report this post

Red 73  
Years ago

Wow, that was so cringeworthy. Stop trying so hard.

Reply #657611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope the KIngs lose and Gaze and JVG are gone. Long time Kings supporter here too.

Reply #657615 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Gimme more, Red. What else you got?

Reply #657618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More talent doesn't automatically result in wins and doesn't hide team culture issues!

Reply #657619 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow I enjoyed Jack and Manu's posts but usedahoop gave me more laughs, great post guys and Illawarra by 15 with Kay being somewhat troublesome and Tyler fouling out as he struggles with refereeing

Reply #657633 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

But how many oktaves of cloud cover are expected?
Cloud cover is measured in oktaves. An octave is 1/8 of the sky (you can just look up and judge). So, full cloud cover is 8 oktaves. Nil cloud cover is zero, half is 4 oktaves etc. I think the term oktave derives from "Oct" Latin prefix meaning 8. Think “octagon” 8 sides, “octopus” 8 tentacles. In the Roman calendar (before 700 BC) there were 10 months but only 304 days. This would work about as well as a modern calendar for lunar months, but was way off fir seasons as they rely on the earth's 365.25 odd day orbit cycle. Even 365.25 days isn’t totally accurate, and every so often some big brains get together to add a bit of time to the atomic clock. Hence the saying, “where did all that time go.”

We need a full weather report from someone local.

Also cloud variety. We all know ants become more active when rain is imminent.

These things are important.

Reply #657634 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

The things my mind turn to when there's no longitudinal travel involved.

Perhaps FIBA should distinguish between longitudinal travels (illegal foot movement across the floor with the ball) and latitudinal travel (vertical jump and land still with ball in hand). Obviously latitudinal travel would be much more rare, because longitudinal travel is more important.

Reply #657635 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Get back here, Red.
Where are you?

Reply #657636 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So are you saying that more octaves will favour Sydney as Illawarra live closer to the ocean and used to clearer skies or the other way around?

Will more octaves reading be as important in this game as an open air game?

Reply #657638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Octaves won't be important unless Mariah Carey or Axl Rose are competing against each other. Actually oktas (not oktaves) is what UTH should be speaking of in this context.

Reply #657644 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Tyler's conditioning & fouling will probably limit him to 15 productive minutes in this game. The way I see it, Gaze has to figure out how to have a good defensive presence in the middle for another 25 minutes.

Garlepp has to be used for at least 10 to 15 minutes & not during garbage time to help plug the middle. He's best paired with Singh, particularly when Delvon hit the floor. Singh just have to be reminded not to follow the ball, just stick to Johnson and jam the lane.

Humphries is a massive defensive work in progress but can be treated as 5 fouls vs Ogilvy. Get this right & its a contest.

Reply #657648 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

More than a contest. Sydney are going to win this one. They have beaten Illawarra in both games already haven't they?

Reply #657653 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Forget octaves. At best, these teams will only be competing for 2nd place as long as Trevor Gleeson is coaching in this league.

Reply #657655 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Manu, Kings-Hawks is 2-1 this season.

Kings 103, Hawks 87
Kings 99, Hawks 94
Hawks 93, Kings 83

Illawarra wouldn't be unhappy catching Kings sans-Lisch and with imports so fresh to the team. Though they'd be shitty at dropping any of these games so far.

NBL and Hawks are playing up the White-Randle thing from last year. Hope that doesn't backfire on them!

Reply #657657 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah righto.

This year's NBL will be even better for Randle with the 'no touching at all costs' type of refereeing.

Gaze would be smart to run sets with Randle working off the ball to get to his spot/a matchup he likes.

Reply #657661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually oktas (not oktaves) is what UTH should be speaking of in this context.

How embarrassing!

In regards to betting - time to load up on the Hawks! Even with Randle the Kings won't fire immediately, it takes time to gel with new players.

Reply #657672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks should clinch it

Reply #657673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey 'UseTaHoop', kindly piss off

Reply #657675 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

ok, I haven't been around much, but WTF is this octaves bullshit and why are we humouring it? jeez, and people say I go on with shit...

Expectations should be managed with regards to Randle and Taylor... Taylor will improve on his first game for sure, but he seems like an emotional player, which is good, but no doubt that will have an impact on how long he can stay out there...

Randle hasn't played a game in a month, so he will be rusty, and no-one can play defence other than maybe Taylor in the middle but how effective he will be is an known...

Agree with Steve for sure, Gaze needs to bite the bullet and pull his finger out at the same time, otherwise he would have maybe anoher round and if nothing changes, he needs to be gone...

Hawks by close to double figures...

Reply #657677 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's Tyler not Taylor.

Reply #657682 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hawks by 6.
Sydney will need time to gel together

Reply #657689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok, I haven't been around much, but WTF is this octaves bullshit and why are we humouring it? jeez, and people say I go on with shit...

Agreed. It needs to banned. Talking about weather for an indoor sport is so lame.

Reply #657699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This year's NBL will be even better for Randle with the 'no touching at all costs' type of refereeing.

This is so inconsistently officiated though. Can't count on anything. Some players are regularly allowed to bump or hand check the ball carrier, while others are penalized. Illegal screens are called at random, even within the one play. Hard to determine how the officiating will play out moving forward.

There seems to be less concern about travelling violations though, so that might help.

Reply #657702 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

One player doesn't change a game unless they score 30-40 points.

Good luck to him. But while they might move up the ladder, those expecting minor miracles are in for a rude shock

Reply #657706 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh they'll change the game, beleedat

Reply #657713 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

OK. I am putting my hand up. While it has never worked out well for me before I have backed Sydney. A few dollars at $2.30 and a few at $2.50.

I have said it before but unless they win this is the last time I put money on them.

Why do I do it???

Reply #657725 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Looks like rain in the 'Gong tonight.

Ants get more active in anticipation of precipitation.

Maybe someone will be active enough to change the game.

Reply #657745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the bet Ogilvy stinks tonight after a couple hard defensive plays from Tyler?

Reply #657750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That bet would be $1.01!

Reply #657751 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Illawarra price keeps coming in, started $1.70 now $1.40, lots of money in the last 30mins, is someone out for Sydney???

Reply #657753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis not suited up tonight

Reply #657754 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

How sure is that info?

Reply #657755 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Back to $1.53

Reply #657756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

20min ago Sydney's twitter said:

"Sydney Kings vs Illawarra Hawks will tip off at 7:30pm!

Our starting 5 will be: Jerome Randle, Brad Newley, Todd Blanchfield, Perry Ellis, Jeremy Tyler!"

Reply #657757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On paper that looks like a sick lineup. On paper...

Reply #657759 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

This Syd team is going to be real good when they get some time together.

Reply #657761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were they waiting for Randle since the beginning of the season? Weren't there talks with Sydney during the off season Randle's agent claimed? If so have to retract a little bit of the JvG criticism. Gaze as coach though will impede them.

Reply #657762 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Garlepp in with Singh. Someone listened at last :).

Reply #657764 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

not just randle.

Tyler is a huge upgrade on Humphries

Reply #657765 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

So far so good - well, outside of 4 fouls for Tyler/Humphries.

Reply #657766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler is another interesting one since he was available, hadn't played since last season. Waited as long as possible to save on two-three months worth of wage (including pre-season)?

Reply #657767 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Refs hating on the new guy yet again. Tyler, that is

Reply #657768 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

According to NBL app box scores, Sydney have played more bench players and Garlepp's hit the floor in first quarter?

Can’t be right can it?

Reply #657769 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That pass by Singh was quietly spectacular.

Reply #657771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

QT ILL 14-25 SYD

Reply #657772 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh god. I have this on timeshift and Tyler just got his second. Insipid

Reply #657773 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Tyler is quality

Reply #657774 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I feel like he is the strongest player in the league, bar Jawai.

That, and the fact that he's new, probably means that the refs will try to dispose of the problem (call fouls on him) rather than learn how to officiate him

Reply #657775 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At least Tyler seems to have the common sense to avoid fouls on the other end if he has to - doing a good job defending screens and drives keeping his arms up and not giving the refs a chance to blow the whistle.

Reply #657776 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

im still not used to NBL officiating. its very very soft. its not good for the game.

Reply #657777 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...and AJ shows all you need to do is put up your hands and let him miss on his own.

Reply #657778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu WTF? Learn how to officiate him? The rules are the same for everyone.

Reply #657779 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think that's the first time the Kings have forced an 8 second violation since... ever?

Reply #657780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That basket interference rule is so ambiguous. It needs to be simplified

Reply #657781 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

You can tell Lisch is dying to play right now, he kept standing up.

Reply #657783 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ the Hawks fan behind Randle in the interview. Keep it classy Illawarra!

Reply #657784 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Randle
Lisch
Newley
Ellis
Tyler

Cadee, Blanchfield, Humphries coming off the bench

looking good moving forward

Reply #657785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That basket interference rule is so ambiguous. It needs to be simplified
What's wrong with it, other than refs being utterly incompetent?

Reply #657786 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

That roster certainly looks good on paper it will be interesting to see how they work Lisch into the new set up.

Reply #657787 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ellis 9 rebounds for the half, feels like that's about as many as he's had all season long combined.

Reply #657788 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Not this anon again. Man, you need to wise up. Tyler's moves, strength and speed is something that NBL refs won't encounter this season, and haven't seen for a long time.

So Tyler will boss people and do things that referees aren't used to. So the refs will not understand what they're seeing and just take the easy route and call a foul because anything else is too hard.

Just like Isaac said in the other thread, are you new to sport? You don't know about a guy named Shaquille O'Neal and his impact on officiating. Same principle.

Reply #657789 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd work Lisch back in by parking Blanchfield back on the bench...

Reply #657790 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Who's ready to lock in Sydney for a playoff berth?

Reply #657791 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Singh > Humphries

Or to say it better

Humphries < Singh

Reply #657792 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not ready to lock anything in yet. Good first half, but I'd like to see them string 4 quarters together for the first time this season.

Reply #657793 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What is happening with goaltending in this league? That particular interpretation of the call hasn't been a problem for as long as I've watched NBL

Reply #657794 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

... fair enough on the rule explanation. But Ogilvy hit the rim after the ball has cleared the area

Reply #657795 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Perfect example of the problem with Singh City right there - ball watching on D.

Reply #657797 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

great to have Randle back in the league.

wish he was a 36er still though

Reply #657798 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Somehow I forgot how ridiculous Randle can be at times. I reckon he could've shot on that drive just then, but to hit an open Cadee in the corner was a bit of magic.

Reply #657800 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Seriously, where is the foul Singh on Martin? Martin creates contact and gets a rubbish call. This is what irritates me about NBL reffing

Reply #657801 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

i have only just joined this forum.

why is there so much hate towards Gaze around here?

Reply #657802 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

Tyler could be a beast in this league, but he needs to keep his shit together.

Reply #657803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze can't coach.

Lachie Reid in a non-Perth game? WTF?

Reply #657805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu ever heard of Jawai? Size doesnt change contact principles

Reply #657806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a fourth quarter!

Reply #657807 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

this is great

Reply #657808 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Randle looks pooped, which isn't good.

Reply #657809 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

wow

Clarke really really reminds me of early/mid 90s Shane Heal

Reply #657810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely a foul by Cadee.

Reply #657811 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

A foul, but not an unsportsmanlike.

Cadee passing up that open look led to that Humphries turnover... Kings playing scared at the moment.

Reply #657813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle shooting the Kings out of it. Nothing has changed in the Gong.

Reply #657815 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

haha

Reply #657816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was the most SYD were up by? 77-77 now.

Reply #657817 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

this is the Randle i remember

Reply #657818 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Gaze rode Randle too much tonight. First game, and he lost his legs at half time.

Reply #657819 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hey let's give referees credit where due.

That was a fantastic call with the blocking foul on Cadee! Well done referees.

I hate seeing players slide under other players like that and not give the player a chance to even land/move.

Frankly; don't know what Cadee was complaining about.

Great call!

Reply #657820 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

agree

Reply #657821 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Again anon, you're small-minded.

Get out of the box kid!

Reply #657822 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

agree with the randle call.

easy to just keep him in there but he's lost his legs.

Reply #657823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings were up by 16 at one stage. lol wow

Reply #657824 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

20 points on 23 attempts lol

Reply #657825 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Man oh man oh man oh man.

I just can't believe the lack of balls in this Kings team. They were killing the zone earlier this game. Just shoot the ball pls. Shoot your shot

Reply #657826 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah both Kings imports need a bit more conditioning but Randle will probably hit full speed in a few games.

Reply #657828 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

wow

Reply #657829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is sp bad that it's good.

Reply #657830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so

OT looks like it, Kings looked cooked though

Reply #657831 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

OT please

Reply #657832 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Odds of a Kings foul here?

Reply #657833 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

unusual play call there

Reply #657834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OT 80-80

Haha Angus, you never know with this team.

Reply #657835 | Report this post

Sensational stuff!!!

Reply #657836 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Need to sit Randle for 2 mins here, and Blanchfield doesn't need to be anywhere near the court.

Reply #657837 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

You'd back Bevo to outcoach Gaze in OT.

Reply #657838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you would back Bevo to out coach Gaze but Bevo seems to fall asleep when he comes up against the Gaze coached kings.

Reply #657839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, like he did in the fourth quarter vs Sixers. He outdid Joey now Gaze.

Reply #657840 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

does Lenard Copeland do anything?

Reply #657841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He goes to the club afterwards with the boys.

Reply #657842 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

lol why would u do that

Reply #657843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free burgers, lucky Illawarrans.

Reply #657844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahahan Kings get a tech on their own free throw hananana

Reply #657845 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Man, dumb.

Reply #657846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this real life?

Reply #657847 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

crazy game

Reply #657848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four Kings free throws in a row missed!

Reply #657849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yesssssss Hawks! up six due to Kings being -1pts fro, four free throw attempts hahahahaha crazy

Reply #657850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ is awful despite Hawks leading.

Reply #657851 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

i like this zone Illawarra run

Reply #657852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AJ suits the Kings with his boneheadedness.

Kings were up by 19 a one point? lol

Reply #657853 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

far out. these hawks fans are feral

Reply #657854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Manu get a clue

Reply #657855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings will win this... my Ladbrokes account balance depends on it

and this is why bookmakers exist.

Reply #657856 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

If this was game 1 of the season, you'd be thinking oh well, tough loss for the Kings, but hey, working in a few new imports, plenty of time, etc...

Instead, this leaves them with 6 losses remaining all season to make the playoffs.

Reply #657857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how from their four free throw attempts Kings scored 0pts and Hawks scored 1pt. Classic!

Reply #657858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley airballs a free. rofl

Reply #657859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

95-93 despite all of that now with an Ellis three. Crazy bad game

Reply #657860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks freethrows 25/32
Kings freethrows 8/17

jesus...

Reply #657861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow less than 50% free throws wow

Reply #657862 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't even want to look at the box score, but I'm guessing Blanchfield must be around 1/10 from the floor.

Reply #657863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1/11 @AngusH lol

Reply #657864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Kings are shattering worse than the 90s team.

Violet Crumbles were up by 19 but can't win.

Remember - it's the way it shatters that matters!

Reply #657865 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Vintage Violet Crumbles. Feels like the 90s again.

Reply #657866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ILL record now: 5-5 W-L and 909:909 points. An exact 50% season so far.

Reply #657867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SYD 2-8. You got your stud imports in too late, JvG!

Reply #657868 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tyler's no stud.

Reply #657869 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good thing for JvG is he can now sack Gaze if we don't make the semis and say "well, I got you the talent, you couldn't get the wins" despite waiting about 7 rounds too long to make moves.

Reply #657870 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well you'd expect teething problems, I reckoned the Kings did real well to make it a contest. The way the Hawks were going prior to this game pointed to a likely comfortable win.

Reply #657871 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

Hot Tip for Sydney - hire imports who can shoot foul shots.

Reply #657872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings then daylight!
Watching on time delay .... need to blow this margin out in the 4th and give the points percentage a boost

Reply #657873 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Tyler is a stud, but the refs hit their target tonight. Absolutely shut him down. He needs to be mentally stronger though

Reply #657874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get out of this league you useless sacks of shit! Jeremy Tyler is worse than Powell and he was a disgrace.

Reply #657875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks should be 7-3 and aiming for top 2 with 12 home games still to come but like making things harder for themselves by losing to the kings more often than every other side.

Reply #657876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a nutural, but Kings done hard by refs, exciting game though. Jvg got lot to answer to Kings supporters re original team make up. Thought Newley looking old and Blanchfield, lol.

Reply #657877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I don't get Hawks dropping two to Kings, I put it down to a slow start to the season. Kings really should be 0-10.

And yes Tyler isn't a stud but JvG thought he was.

Reply #657878 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll give Tyler a few more games before I judge him - first "proper" game in the league in round 7. Disappointing stretch for him in the 1st half when he whinged about a non-call and didn't get back on D, but we'll see. FTs... well... he wasn't alone there.

Reply #657879 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Who needs the comedy channel when you have these JESTERS bringing their hilarious bumbling poopball to our screens on the reg? They have NO idea what winning basketball culture looks like. As a wildcats fan, I find them funny but if I was a Kings fan I would be kicking out Gaze, Blanchfield and Newley. Delay of game violation? You MORON NEWLEY!

They can all go play social basketball with Jeff Van Wrongagain washing their uniforms and cheering them on from the sidelines.

Reply #657881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First it was the 30 yr old 1st/3rds offense
gaze ran when he and copeland was at the Tigers.

Second it was rebounding(brings in Bradtke)

Third it was import pt guard and big man. (recruited randle & tyler)

Now it free throws.(players choke)

And the Defence has always been horrendous because gaze has NO clue about showing players how to play D!

GAZE HAS RAN OUT OF EXCUSES!!

Reply #657882 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah I'm chalking that one up to Gaze's inability to get his team to exploit the Hawks zone. Like, they had no answers for the entire fourth quarter. He did say 'attack the rim', but draw up something to help make that happen

Reply #657883 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blanchfield now the all-time leader in 3pt attempts with no makes in the 40 minute era. What a time to be alive.

Reply #657884 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Tyler will definitely polarise fans and refs alike. Even on this thread after one game we've got calls of bust and a tenuous reference to Shaq. He'll have some big games for sure, but from this small sample size, he's no leader and definitely not a "winner" in the championship sense of the word.

Reply #657887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

blanchfield was horrible. He score 2 of his many misses they would have won.

Reply #657889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They also win if Newley makes that free throw instead of airballing it.

Reply #657890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gaze's body language is somehow getting worse. I've never seen a head coach act like it. At least try not to emit panic from your body language, coaching and leadership 101 right there.

Reply #657891 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Crowd 2396

Reply #657893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not certain anyone's body language would be good when your most highly paid players can't make free throws, or Blanchfield being a brick chucker. Hopefully Gaze pulls through this as he's good for the game and a genuine good person. Jvg is the one that should be in the firing line.

Reply #657894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke threw a free throw behind his head, probably slipped out of his hand but still got an extra free throw, cost Kings the game.

Reply #657895 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Tyler is going to be easy to take out of games. Get in his head and he is useless! The guy is what 26 and acts like a 12 year old kid

Reply #657899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler is a bust. Yet again poor recruiting. With the former Kings coaches there and available in China why didn't JVG pick up the phone and call someone. He's a bust.

Reply #657901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'What's wrong with it, other than refs being utterly incompetent?'

The commentators can't agree either on the rule so how am I supposed to ;)

Reply #657906 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Read the rules. It's really not complicated, and all involved should know better.

Reply #657910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go the Hawks !!!

Reply #657912 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Not certain anyone's body language would be good when your most highly paid players can't make free throws"

Paul Henare seems to be coping with that ok ;-)

Reply #657914 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Read the rules. It's really not complicated."

31.2.4. Interference occurs when:
• After a shot for a field goal or the last or only free throw a player touches the basket or the backboard while the ball is in contact with the ring.

Reply #657916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have the link to go the after game press conference?

Reply #657918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eddie palubinskas to come down to the kings training this week and teach free throws?

Reply #657924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those in China knew Tyler was a bust because of his rep there and called it before he played a game here.. JVG again is the issue.
Unfortunately this was a Violet Crumbles game.
16 point lead turned into a 6 point loss.
Foul shooting is obviously part of that but only part.
JVG will spin his usual "give us time" but another Kings season wasted.

Reply #657926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nah anon - I reckon Ray Gordon will be coming up to give FT & "white line fever" advice to the Kings.

Reply #657927 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, it was really fascinating with all the elements coming together on display.

Does Mick still come into these forums as he was from Townsville, maybe someone can politely ask Mick if he can find Blanchfield's form and match winning ability as we haven't seen it since he played in Townsville.

Hard to understand the goings on, we had commentators talking up AJ and on here people bagging him, I thought he played a great role today and made sure he stayed out of foul trouble whilst still stuffing the stat sheet.

Now Jeremy Tyler, you'll be so much fun to watch this season but which club are you going to completely destroy... I think it may be Adelaide on Saturday... Jeremy in beast mode will be awesome.

Copeland seems to act more like a therapist for Gaze and tells him to not be so emotive with his body language and facial expressions, he does not much else.

As for the Kings, I think they will next bring in Ray Gordon and Warwick Guiddy on how to play with mongrel and get under everyone's skin... heck bring in Tim Morrissey too and he can add to the 'how to be an arsehole and have everyone hate you' class

Reply #657929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jerry Tarkanian to come down to Sydney kings practise to teach Gaze to hide his emotions by biting a towel?

Reply #657933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Gaze is entertaining for non-Kings fans. One pivotal moment was when he had his head in his hands for an extended period and Kendall had to bump him to pay attention and realise there was a coaching decision to be made.

Randle's still a great player. Offered non-flattering thoughts on Tyler in the other thread.

I found that Hawks zone intriguing, especially Conger's role at the top of the arc limiting the Kings switching the play. It was bizarrely effective.

Reply #657941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on their Wi-Fi situation?

Reply #657942 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I found that Hawks zone intriguing, especially Conger's role at the top of the arc limiting the Kings switching the play. It was bizarrely effective.

Its a hybrid 1-3-1 that morphed to 3-2 on Randle & even man to man as shotclock went to single digit. Kings actually countered well by putting Cadee in alongside Randle, if only Blanchfield didn't have a shocker. Even if he made at least 2 totally open 3pt in that 4th, they would've won.

Reply #657951 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cairns run a similar zone, will be interesting to see how much they both pull it out against each other on the weekend.

Reply #657956 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Looks like the old Michigan 131, long athlete at the top who's jos is to stop or slow ball reversal, and the 5 man around the ft line and elbows so the guards force penetration into the wall.

Reply #657966 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

... if only Blanchfield didn't have a shocker. Even if he made at least 2 totally open 3pt in that 4th, they would've won.
Realistically, any shot or even FT in regulation would've decided that game!

Took him a few shots to get it, but I thought Randle was impressive - no settling in, just straight into making big shots and playing hard.

Reply #657969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle was excellent, probably to late save Kings season though. Cadee looking good off the bench, if they can get Lisch back at the two Kings start to look impressive, Newely at three and Blanchfield back up three.
Randle, Cadee
Lisch, Cadee
Newely, Blanchfield
Ellis, Garlepp, Blanchfield
Tyler,Singh, Humphries.

Reply #657973 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Randel's chucking goes in Kings look good. Randles chucking misses Kings shite.

He is a great offensive player but Ellis was killing it in the first half and Randle just continued to chuck in the second with Ellis not receiving enough ball.

Doubt Randle will shoot 50% ish on threes too often and take that away his 2 pt % was ordinary.

Good player for a shit coach to have because he will win you some games on his own.

Reply #657999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:36 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754