Isaac
Years ago

Hodgson: I've struggled with growing expectations

ADELAIDE big man Matthew Hodgson admits he let his Boomers call up get into his head and he has struggled with growing expectations this season.

In a revealing interview with The Advertiser's Sixers Report Podcast, Hodgson says he hasn’t been mentally strong enough to turn his international call up into quality basketball for the 36ers.

Hodgson played just 11 minutes of Saturday night’s loss to Illawarra and has averaged 14 per game for the season so far.
Full story

Topic #42198 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Hodgson, Sobey, Creek struggling because they think of themselves as Champions now even though in reality they were playing against midget Asian teams who weren't even at full strength? A mental issue.

Reply #657583 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Since when is Creek struggling?

Reply #657584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remove Creek then from the discussion. Typo. Let's focus on the point now.

Reply #657586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey didnt play in the asia cup so thats 2 strikes

Reply #657590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crazy to think he could possibly get ahead of himself. Playing for the Boomers in a non Olympic year means squat. Has been some pretty mediocre types that have put the jersey on. I'm sure Joey was so impressed with his own selection of Hodgson that he forgot to keep this 'could be’ player in line.

Reply #657591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, you have proven to be an idiot. Stupid points.

Reply #657592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hodgson says he hasn't been mentally strong enough to turn his international call up into quality basketball for the 36ers."

He even says it himself!

Reply #657596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey probably lost confidence by not being selected :P

Reply #657598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was injured clown

Reply #657600 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

I thought Sobey was injured when the Asia Cup was on or at least in the lead-up. Happy to be corrected if I've remembered that wrongly.

With respect to being crazy to get ahead of himself by making Boomers in a mediocre comp, it's hard to know what was put in his head by friends, coaches, other players, support staff etc. Also, he was starting centre, ahead of Andersen and Brandt, which may have given him ideas above his real standing.

That said, he's 26 years old and I'd have expected a more mature, realistic world view from someone of that age.

Sobey I don't know about. His performance last year was astonishing and few, if any, people predicted such a breakout year. I sure as hell didn't see it coming. It makes me wonder if this year is a regression to the mean.

Wright's comments suggest Sobey's gotten too focused on thinking he has to get a lot of points to help the team. He may need to work out how to feel like he's contributing without racking up 20 points a night. Perhaps Sam MacKinnon or Brett Maher could give him some good advice on that.

Reply #657603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Please stop posting trash like this.)

Reply #657604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hodgson has had the potential tag for a long time now. Two d1 schools. How many years in the NBL? Has had some injury issues along the way. But maybe just one of those cases where he physically looks like he should dominate but just doesn't have a natural feel for the game iq etc

Reply #657606 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes Hodgson is 26 but people need to remember just three seasons ago he couldn't even get a gig in the NBL. He was training with Melb Utd and they went with Chris Patton instead. So Joey took a punt on him much like Sobey.

In the space of two years he went from being unable to get a spot on an NBL roster to trying out for NBA teams and playing on a gold medal winning Boomers team.

It's obviously been a pretty wild ride for him and now for the first time in his career he's playing with expectations on him.

It's not a physical thing it's clearly mental you can see that with the silly cheap fouls he's always picking up early in games and if he misses his first shot or two becomes too hesitant to look to try and score again.

Reply #657608 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That said, he's 26 years old and I'd have expected a more mature, realistic world view from someone of that age.
Might be 26, but as Zodiac said, this would be the first time he's been put in that Boomers camp basket.

Reply #657613 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

I don't think Hodgson has gotten ahead of himself. I think it's more that now he has been put in that next bracket of players, everyone expects more of him and he is struggling to deal with that. Until the boomers call up he was never in the spotlight.

Similar thing with Sobey. Last year when he had his break out year there were no expectations on him, he went from rotation player to star. Now everyone expects him to do that night in night out and he is one of the faces of the NBL featured on every fox sports ad involving the Sixers etc. I think he is struggling with that too.

Reply #657645 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Its great people get opportunities.
Its great that players play overseas in summer leagues
But
Lets be real. All 3 aren't NBA material especially Hodgson.
He is tall, and plays his part. That is it.
Live in the moment by all means but remember, you are playing NBL, Boomers but not close to NBA standard and never will be

Reply #657705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754