Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide vs Sydney, Nov 18

This is an early time slot game, but one that all Sixers fans should say YES to.
This would be one of those games Joey would have pencilled in for a win at the start of the season.

Sydney are playing some ugly basketball at the moment. They should be top of the table, but are lurching from one fade out to another. Up by 18 at one stage against the Hawks, they ended up getting out played.

BTW, I hear Sydney have a new import? This will be the firs time we get to see the Ant Man back on Brett Maher Court (albeit in the wrong colours) 28 in his first game back is impressive, and while I would like him to have a great game, let's hop he has used up his quota of points this round.

Both teams need this win, so that is why this will be a great game.

Topic #42210 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Years ago

Well, should be an entertaining one regardless of result.

Reply #657948 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Would be great if the Sixers can get a record number of rejects on Randle maybe making him shoot over Creek on the outside and everyone in the paint. Sobey to fly! Crowd and I would love it!

Hopefully Sixers can get the run and gun transition game happening again but also shoot well from range. Love to see Drmic hit a good shooting spell and Creeky to launch a few without hesitating.

Teys and Doyle hopefully to contribute from a seated position.

On free to air at Viceland at 5pm. Will record it to watch again after the game.

Sixers by a small margin!

Reply #657970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a Kings fan and I hate my life right now this team is garbage and Gaze is absolute trash, it's better luck next year at this point

Reply #657974 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I sense an upset and will go with Sydney in this one

Reply #657976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney will win this game. Adelaide are all out of sorts and I sense some real internal issues with egoes etc Kings will regroup after that Hawks debacle.

Reply #657977 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Kings by 8.

All will be right with the world again.

Reply #657979 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I predict Randle will either drop 50, or shoot 7/40. Maybe both.

Reply #657980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the way he tried to prove a point in Wollongong against the Hawks last season in Semi Final Game 2 he will lose it for his team.

Reply #657981 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I hope the Kings lose every game for the rest of the season and I've been a Kings fan since inception. Maybe then someone will see sense and replace the coach and hopefully the General barely Manager

Reply #657983 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

36ers easily

Reply #657984 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I just feel like Sydney will get a good start and with their superior body language (c'mon you can't argue there, 36ers have been terrible in November) they will run away with this game on the back of Brad Newley having his best game on the season.

Kings by 15+ and Tyler to prove some doubters wrong and be an absolute beast.

36ers to argue with each other again... surely there is a market going on that

Reply #658104 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Both teams have to deny opposing's transition offence. In the half-court, Sixers have to shut down Sydney's perimeter game while the Kings have to pack the paint.

Garlepp has to be utilised more in this game as Singh won't be able to cope with the pace. Tyler is an interesting watch, will he lose it or will he shuts up & adjust?

Reply #658119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strangely enough the pressure is on Joey IMO. With the way he's treated his players over the last couple weeks it can be expected that the team internally isn't a happy group which, leaves them vulnerable and potentially losing to the Kings who themselves are on the brinks of collapsing.

Reply #658121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Randle is back being the hog that he is by shooting TWENTY FIVE shot v Hawks.I'm predicting he pass that mark tonight

Reply #658123 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Randle did have a good game in his debut 28p, 9r, 5a on 11-25 shooting inc 5-10 3pt.

However he was at one point 8-23 from the field, he made his last two shots which improved his overall percentage to something respectable.

Reply #658129 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Wow Blanchfield made a shot

Reply #658157 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

2 BS calls on Tyler already.

Reply #658158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why keep Tyler in when he's gotten 2 early fouls?

Reply #658160 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

They're ganging up on Tyler again, the refs

Reply #658161 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Not sure how Tyler can avoid fouls short of keeping his arms by his side and walking away from his opposite number.

Reply #658163 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blanchfield has his 1 3pt shot of the game, sit him on the bench before he misses his next 10.

Reply #658164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

these soft bs fouls are starting to ruin the game watching as a neutral

Reply #658165 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Homicide...

Reply #658167 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Would love to know why that's not a foul on Humphries re: the Drmic drive versus the other crap they've called tonight.

Reply #658169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has no rhythm

Reply #658170 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Would love to know what Blanchfield's pep talk was to Pinea right there... "Good minutes Dane, but you really need more turnovers in the backcourt and some bricked 3s if you want to make it in this league".

Reply #658171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol Heal vicious on Homocide

Reply #658173 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ahh, the classic BS charging call when a big dude hits a littler dude.

Reply #658174 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Oh man, I'll say it yet again. The way they're treating Tyler is ridiculous

Reply #658175 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hating watching the refs target Tyler. The guys one of the bigger name imports and a draw cards for the league. We want to see him out there making dunks, getting blocks, doing some good moves, not sitting on the bench because of soft fouls.

Reply #658176 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The charge by Tyler, he literally did the same thing that Creek did down the other end with the hop step into contact, but because Deng weighs 40kgs and is bowled over, instant charge call.

Reply #658178 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I was being naive when I said Tyler would be the most dominant bigman the league has seen in a long time. Should be known better

Reply #658179 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Should've

Reply #658180 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting bored this season by all the ridiculously soft fouls.

Reply #658181 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ellis should've walked the opposite direction there, or hit the ground and played dead.

Reply #658182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my god these soft calls are so annoying. Tune in as a neutral wanting to watch some good basketball, not the whistle blown every 30sec and a freethrow shootout

Reply #658183 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

60 points on the board all ready and only half time.

Reply #658184 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

29 fouls in 20 minutes.

I'm all for officiating in such a way that breaks trends/sets positive new trends, but I just don't know what to think

Reply #658185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like last night...

I dont think there has been enough foul calls.

Argh....got to love the NBL destroying there own product.

And they wonder why the TV ratings are abysmal

Reply #658188 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Can't believe I'm saying this but I'll be watching the rugby league second half over this crap

Reply #658189 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Getting bored this season by all the ridiculously soft fouls.

Getting bored this weekend with this one person going on and on and on ....

Reply #658190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Blanchfield's shooting

Reply #658191 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Authorities need to look into Blanchfield's betting habits the way he's played this year.

Reply #658193 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Let's see if Tyler can get one more highlight before fouling out on a shot contest.

Reply #658195 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Might wanna look into Gaze's as well AngusH, surely you can't be that bad? Hang on...

I got back late and just started watching start of 4th qtr looks bad huh?

Reply #658196 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Ah well, didn't get the highlight. Maybe next week.

Reply #658197 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tyler's a spud not a stud.

Reply #658198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder how much longer Gaze will have a job for after these 2 games

Reply #658199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weak ass fouls

Reply #658200 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Randle is still our best player.

Reply #658202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 Adl players with double digit points

Reply #658204 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good call on Perry there against Creek, Perry was definitely within 3 meters.

Reply #658205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IT'S TIME FOR GAZE, COPELAND AND JVG TO GO BACK TO MELBOURNE!!

Reply #658206 | Report this post

Snooch  
Years ago

Homicide was an absolute embarrassment for that entire call. Asking Wright if he'll sack Shorter pregame, swearing, the whole call was absolutely cringeworthy

Reply #658208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a shame that the biggest city in Australia has the worst team in the league.

Not good for the NBL

Reply #658209 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Amazing to see how bad the defensive set is for the Kings. Humphries on Shorter at perimeter, Newley on DJ in the paint and neither is calling the other to switch? I'll watch the replay later if only to dissect the coaching ineptness.

Something is seriously wrong. Hard to believe that someone who's played 600+ NBL games can't reinforce basic concepts and help his players focus. He certainly knows more than enough X & Os but strategically? Seriously has a lot to answer for if you ask the right questions...

Reply #658211 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

The standard of refereeing is more of a problem than having a shit team in Sydney. Big change in the way the game was called between the 1st half and the 3rd Q, and then in the 4th it swings back again.

Reply #658212 | Report this post

john  
Years ago

agree regarding the refereeing.

Reply #658216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea JVG. Lets hire MVP Randle and some loser from China. Spend another $500k or so and lose our next 2 games.

Reply #658220 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

It actually was a great idea, it was just 3 months too late.

Reply #658221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? Tyler is a chump. 6 points 5 fouls. 2 rbs FFS!
Randle -eff. In fact on the Kings roster there was NO ONE with a positive eff rating.
Seriously a basketcase and something needs to happen.

Reply #658227 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

And if it's game 2 of the season, who cares. Plenty of time to gel, turn it around, etc.

The NBL refereeing sucks in general, but most of all for import bigs who aren't used to every contested shot inside the paint being whistled a foul. Tyler made 2 dumb fouls that game, the other 3 I'll be generous and call 30/70 calls. If he had a preseason of NBL refereeing, he probably isn't fouling out in 11 minutes in round 7.

Randle is Randle. He had a bad game. He looks out of shape, and has started both games well in the 1st Q and quickly run out of gas. He'll turn it around, but it will be too little too late.

Gaze would still be our coach so I'm not saying we'd be leading the table or anything like that, but we'd be .500 at worst.

Reply #658228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tyler is a bust. The Aussie coaches in China afaik were never consulted. They would have told JVG "he isn't NBL material".

Reply #658229 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

Todd Blanchfield is a bust. Tyler, I've been harsh on but at least he pulled his head in and didn't sook - which he actually had reason to with at least 2 of his calls.
Blanchfield should never see another minute of an NBL game. Absolutely useless. And that Thoseby guy, what's his story?
If the Kings were looking for a guy with a shit beard and no skills they could have called me...

Reply #658235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

H.V

100% right, two of Tyler's fouls were rubbish, Blanchfield must have a good agent, his last two contracts on good coin for no return.Kings only got two guys that play defence, Newely and Lisch and when Lisch not there they're gone. Newely looking older as well or maybe dissapointed he's not the top earner any more. Cadee playing better off the bench and Humphries showing improvement but the way Heal goes on about them you would think that there just about to get call ups to the NBA.

Reply #658240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the kings had this team at the start with Lisch fit then maybe not so bad but def not 0.500 !!!

Randle is very under done and scouted well. Tyler suffers from China skill shrink - got the athleticism but used to no calls or weaker calls. Nbl refs r worse this year for weak shit calls or blatant no calls - that aside, Newley should just leave, Blanchfield is full of himself if the thinks he is a starter - average bench player at best this year.

Kings will win a few more but won't rattle any higher then 7th

Reply #658247 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Adelaide defended Randle well

Tyler was hard done by with the refs.

Humphries impressive.

Third quarter broke the Kings but I'm still not writing them off. Lisch will improve their D.

Reply #658253 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting times in the NBl. Calling so many fouls, it does reduce some of the traditional advantages associated with size and penalises slow players.

I watched in amazement many of the fouls called on the Kings today. Then check box scores tonight and see Hawks called for 8 fouls for the entire game. What's going on

Reply #658254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I watched in amazement many of the fouls called on the Kings today. Then check box scores tonight and see Hawks called for 8 fouls for the entire game. What's going on"

I didn't watch the hawks/taipans game after getting too annoyed with the reffing of the kings/36ers game lol, but gees 8 fouls for the game?!? NBL reffing consistency at its finest

Reply #658256 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Crowd tonight was 6093.

Gaze said Randle and Tyler still were fitting in and only had two practices, limiting the Kings' offensive options.

"The glaring elephant in the room in our team ... we won’t make progress if we have to score over 110 points to win a game of basketball," Gaze said.

“Until such a time as we can defend, and be confident about our defence, it’s going to put enormous pressure on your offence.”

Gaze said trying zone hadn’t been much more effective.

“Towards the end there in the fourth quarter, I thought we did a few things, tried to switch a few times, we got burnt a couple of times.”

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/sixers-find-their-way-back/

Reply #658257 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Also Sydney may be 2-9 but 11 of remaining 17 games are at home.

Their schedule is incredibly clustered. So far Adelaide and Illawarra 7 of 11 games

Between Nov 30 and Dec 31, 8 games. 5 at home. 7 of 8 are against Cairns (3) Bris and Mel (2 each).

Then in January they play Perth 3 times in 15 days.

The schedule is truly bizarre but I think Sydney could conceivably win 5 or 6 from 8, getting them to 7-12 or 8-11 before that make or break January stretch against the Cats

Reply #658258 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/other-sports/basketball/press-conferences/kings-press-conference!652917

The full post game interview with Gaze. Journos were very careful of the questions they asked, understandably soft to preserve good will and access, but there's enough there to induce pity and extended duration headshaking.

7 minutes in, he revealed that he doesn't know what to tell/teach Tyler about how to play defense in the NBL or deal with the refs. Well... you're a head coach aren't ya? What hope has Tyler got in trying to adjust if you haven't got a clue? For starters, how about you pick up the phone and ring up Scott Butler to arrange a meeting to discuss the issue? Bring all video footage and if you ask nicely, Butler will probably look at you weird and explain the rules. If Tyler's not willing or unable to adjust then NBL is not for him unfortunately.

The part comparing real world crisis such as Yemen and their 2-9 record is a slap to the face to almost every disappointed Kings fans. Yeah Yemen is a real tragedy but trivialising your team's current plight is not a good idea, particularly when you are one of the major reasons for the rot. It reveals the mindset behind the ineptitude and likely the poor culture behind the team's poor performance.

I'd love for the journos to have had the courage to ask him what's the go with Thoseby and Pineau in the 3rd qtr ahead of Garlepp with the game slowly slipping away? Both rookies made glaring defensive mistakes that Garlepp might have avoided with his extensive experience?

There were a few instances as well where both Newley and Ellis were starting to get exhausted where Garlepp would've been the most logical substitution to give them valuable rest. Why not? Blanchfield was struggling as well on both ends of the floor, why not utilise Garlepp to explore a different option? SMH

Reply #658260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't shoot bambi!

I can't see Lisch changing their fortunes hell of a lot. Not because he's not a great player, but because of the coaching staff. Can you really imagine defence during the week would be coached on the level of life long coaches who have worked their way up under other great coaches and programs, when tigers nbl back in the day was famous for their lack of defence?

Reply #658279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I've heard Copeland has done Jack Sh%t as a assistant coach from day one!Not even a Alley Oop play.

Can someone please tell me what the hell is his contribution to the coaching staff?

Reply #658284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is sad to see Gaze looking down and out as he is such a nice guy. Players can take advantage of coaches that are too nice!

Reply #658285 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

In response to the Anon above and Gazey being a 'nice guy'... does anybody in here think that Gaze has it in him to get called for a tech?

We all know that other coaches will cop a tech to prove to the players that he has their back and that isn't the message I feel from watching Kings games.

And will someone keep feeding Ellis, that man is hungry and he is delivering.

Serious question, if Ellis picked up on his rebounding, could he be league MVP as he he played as many good games as anyone else in the league

Reply #658291 | Report this post

Anonymous04  
Years ago

Couldn't help but look around at the crowd last night, and notice a players girlfriend sitting in a corporate box - drinking, laughing and screaming.
Funny how sitting in the crowd was good enough for you last season but this year you are more important and had to sit in a box
Adelaide Fans should be grateful no food or drinks were thrown at them by her.

Reply #658327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd?

Reply #658342 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Sick of hearing what a nice guy Gaze is. If he was a nice guy he'd quit and stop impersonating a coach

Reply #658350 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely the best 36ers defence for a few years , although , unlikely Randle was fit .
..blanchfield in sixers best players . . we caint help it if we're lucky... although doyle makes me nervous about winning a game when he's on ...
.. perhaps sydney couldaa pressed up a bit with three minutes to go...

Reply #658466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching the press conference and reading between the lines, I got the since that Gaze has all but conceded he isn't up to coaching the Kings and expect not to see the season out.

He looked like a coach that doesn't know where to turn for answers except from his dad and that would be for moral support and philosophy discussions from the 90's!

Fortunately for gaze his mate JVG will make sure to pay out his $400K per year contract as agreed when gaze took the job.

Reply #658473 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If they get a decent coach right now, Sydney has a chance to make playoffs

Reply #658474 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

*points at Gordie McLeod*

Pity Shawn Dennis is too busy enjoying sushi and sake...

Reply #658521 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The realisation is Gaze and Copeland are terrible coaches!!! They were okay last year because Vickerman was there...

Reply #658570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst Gaze is not a quitter; if the players are not responding to him, he should do the right thing and step away.

Reply #658572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754