Luuuc
Years ago

WNBL Round 8

Cluster Round.
Cool concept IMO, and as a bonus we get 2 televised games.

Thu 7:30pm - Dandenong vs Perth
Thu 7:00pm - Townsville vs Melbourne

Sat 5:30pm - Canberra vs Bendigo (Fox)
Sat 7:30pm - Dandenong vs Adelaide (Fox)

Sun 1:30pm - Perth vs Townsville
Sun 3:30pm - Melbourne vs Sydney

Topic #42243 | Report this topic

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Cluster rounds are the future. They should just make all the teams from Melbourne. The Melbourne Perths, Melbourne Townsvilles etc :D

This round has a lot of hard match ups so should be good. Perth is continuing their travelling after a quick turnaround but should have enough against Rangers but potential upset possible.

Townsville should canter against a Lizless Boomers. Should be the most straightforward.

Any team can win Battle of the Bottom, Canberra probably has the most quality still standing so will go with them.

Dandenong at "home" again versus a fresh but out of form Adelaide? Lean Adelaide but again Rangers could upset.

Townsville should win against Perth in a head to head matchup but will be close. Would be more interesting if it was played in Perth imo.

If Sydney lose then they are really out of form and their spot in the topmost four in trouble. Boomers should be firing with a fresh Cambage. What a finish to the Sunday double-header. Of course none of those games are the ones televised.

Reply #658991 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Struggling with tips for those Saturday & Sunday games.. All four could be very good tight games. Hopefully they'll stream the Sunday games for those who can't make it.

Reply #659010 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

I made all six games next to even money until Liz was ruled out.

Reply #659011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Melbs cluster thing is weird for everyone who isn't from or near enough to Melbourne lol. Anyway, great thing to scout our senior team prospects all in a go so I hope Brondello can make it in to see the girls in person.

Reply #659035 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Rangers v Lynx live stream tonight https://www.foxsports.com.au/live

Reply #659066 | Report this post

Danny Green  
Years ago

Thanks ash

Reply #659123 | Report this post

Danny Green  
Years ago

Courtney Williams is all class.

Alice Kunrk went off injured at the end of Rangers v Lynx. Hopefully just rolled ankle

Reply #659146 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Missed the livestream, damn. :(

Good win Perth. They are on a hot streak of form.

Boomers really taking it to Townsville, still too close to call there.

Reply #659147 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Missed it too. Also damn :(
Wish they left it viewable for a few days.
Stoked to get the away win.
Fingers crossed that Alice's injury is not too serious. She has been a key player this season.

Reply #659164 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Townsville win in the end but really should have been more, Suzy shooting an ugly 4/23 from the field. Free throws bailed her out.

Reply #659171 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/pg/FOXBasketball/posts/

If you scroll down on the ^ fox basketball facebook page you'll find the whole live stream from the Rangers/Lynx game. Hopefully nothing too serious for Kunek, at least she could get the ball up past half court but I feel she probably made it a bit worse when she went to ground.

Reply #659187 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

http://www.perthlynx.com/Media/News/toni-farnworth-ready-to-fire

Great news for the Lynx & Toni Farnworth as she is cleared to play starting tomorrow against the Fire. Fitness probably wouldn't be an issue with her given it was a wrist injury, though touch is a whole other story. Hopefully her coming back will take a bit of load off of Whitcomb, Williams and Kunek and further strengthen their bench.

Reply #659301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lolcaps

Reply #659307 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

My god no wonder Canberra win a thing - could their coach come across any less interested??

Reply #659309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good news about Farnworth, but is Kunek playing tomorrow?

Reply #659310 | Report this post

Pickem  
Years ago

^ can't

Reply #659311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scherf just misses so many tip ins

Reply #659314 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Massive choke there by Canberra, though I was impressed by Magbegor - especially late which was great to see. Well done to Bendigo though, they fought hard for that one.

Reply #659317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scrappy game with a lot of turnovers and clanked shots so far

Reply #659319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These vuvuzelas can F off

Reply #659320 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

What a comeback Spirit! Didn't expect them to be able to do it

Reply #659336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me neither though Wehrung missing for the Caps didn't help their chances. She has been a solid performer.

I expect Perth to get a reality check today but the other game could be a good one if Snell is fit.

Reply #659338 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Yep, looks like Perth got their check.
The 3 main guys got the win.
Its going to be
Perth
Townsville
Sydney
Melbourne
To fight for the big dance

Reply #659342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cambage. Stats leader in technical fouls
Hahaha

Reply #659343 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Lizzy's Tech Foul count equalled her rebound count?

Reply #659347 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Impressive by Perth. Seven straight and now equal top of the table. Well in contention now.

Really opens up the five team race for finals, going to be a lot of fight to not be that team missing out.

Reply #659350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously Liz's behaviour is verging on out of control, she has no 'emotional regulation' when things go against her. Will any coach be able to eliminate these 2 year old tantrums completely out of her game?

Reply #659351 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

What excuse will Guy come up with when he does even get the team to contest the Grand Final series.
They have a great team.
Jenna
Bec
Brittany
Maddie
Louella
and how can I forget Liz.
What is happening now is ALL Guy's fault.
He should have done something with her behavior
in the preseason games.
If you have ANY credibility Guy you would make her miss the next game.
Melbourne members should be calling for Guy head or for him to do something about Liz.!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #659352 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Woo!! Go Lynx!!
The 3 W's getting it done big time

Reply #659354 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, it's not all Guy's fault. There are a couple of other people who have to take responsibility for Cambage even being there.

Reply #659355 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

The Lynx are a group of individuals. Some damned good ones for sure, but that doesn't make a team.

Reply #659356 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

So far Melbourne has one big headed player, the rest are spectators.

Reply #659357 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Lynx are a group of individuals. Some damned good ones for sure, but that doesn't make a team.

^ Someone who doesn't actually watch them play, or someone who doesn't understand basketball?
Working for each other is precisely why they're rolling right now, as opposed to the start of the season when the same collection of players had just been thrown together and were struggling.

Reply #659359 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

"The 3 W's": The three, Luuuc??

Boomers were simply caught a touch off the boil today, after some peak form. Beaten by a switched on and red hot reigning prems. Got a little heated near the end, so not sure if this one spilled over into the car park or anything?

A feature that stood out wathing the Lynx today was how well they teamed as a unit, with each individual playing their role.

Reply #659361 | Report this post

Danny Green  
Years ago

Whitcomb, Williams and Wunek?

Reply #659362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all doom and gloom for Melbourne. Sydney made 17 3s at a really high percentage and Melbourne were still in the game with a few minutes left.

Liz has some issues to address although there is time for her to turn it around. Draymond Green, Boogie Cousins and even Diana Taurasi have had similar issues.

Reply #659363 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

Wunek, OK. Had my head on it's side for 5mins staring at Alice's spelling before deciding to ask.

Reply #659365 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Not Wunek. West. As in Kanye.

Reply #659366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Seriously Liz's behaviour is verging on out of control, she has no 'emotional regulation' when things go against her. Will any coach be able to eliminate these 2 year old tantrums completely out of her game?"

She has been the same since a child, no coach disciplines her because she always been so tall, that's what coaches always want, hence why now it's ingrained in her. She's a loose cannon and is still not controlled, she's no attribute to the sport, she never will be,Boomers wanted the publicity her name would bring, hope they are happy with all the negative press she draws, she basically averages a tech a game if not more, and frankly she's lucky she hasn't had more.

Reply #659368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's worth some attitude for all those rebounds she pulls down

Reply #659371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Liz has some issues to address although there is time for her to turn it around. Draymond Green, Boogie Cousins and even Diana Taurasi have had similar issues.“

A key difference being Taurasi is known to be a great teammate. Liz, not so much.

Reply #659383 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Quoting Anonymous
"It's worth some attitude for all those rebounds she pulls down"
Yep, all those rebounds Liz pulled down. 2 rebounds.
Thats 2 - number 2.
Liz is Diva. A two year old.
My 3 year old niece has a better attitude than Liz.
Can't wait for LJ's excuse on Liz's ejection.
It will be a lot of rubbish.

Reply #659387 | Report this post

Melb Fan  
Years ago

Overall what were everyone's thoughts on the cluster round concept?

I liked being able to see all 8 teams in the one venue over the weekend, however I was underwhelmed by the crowds. Not too sure what I was expecting in that department, given only the die hards and the few travelling fans would've been interested in some of those games. Hopefully they can get another one happening in future seasons.

I think after this weekend the top 4 looks just about set - the only potential mover for mine would be Adelaide scraping in. I'd say I was most impressed by Sydney's shooting and Perth's double win - if their 'big 3' (or 3 W's) keep firing I reckon they'll get into the grand final series, they're definitely a great team to watch.

Reply #659389 | Report this post

AshT  
Years ago

The Saturday crowd in particular looked disapointing, so perhaps being televised effected that (it was why I went Sun & not Sat)? I'm a couple of hours away from SBC, so it made it worthwhile to travel for a DH. Same with the round when Boomers & Rangers played home games on same day I came along.

Reply #659395 | Report this post

Double Dribble  
Years ago

Looks as if Guy has lost the plot.
Here is his quote in the newspaper

"We have just got to get back on track, we had won four games and it's a bit of a curve ball. I thought we were sitting nicely in terms of culture and players' roles, and we must stay positive and there is still have a lot to play for."

"Sitting nicely in terms of culture and players role"
Just put us out of our misery Guy.

LEAVE - QUIT

You are just as bad as Liz for not doing anything to change her attitude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #659411 | Report this post

Pauline Murphy  
Years ago

We were sitting behind the boomers bench yesterday and there was a lot of coddling and calming down of Liz. I'm surprised that she wouldnt be on her best behaviour after her ban. When she got kicked out of the game she was shouting and saying that this league is a joke.

We stayed after the game so my daughter could get her picture with the players but they got pulled off the court by the coach. We stayed for 20 minutes but they didn't come out of the change rooms. I thought they advertise that you are guaranteed to meet the players??

Reply #659424 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

Not that it's the only indication of a team playing well but Perth only had 10 or sure assists in their last game which is quite low. Could be a livestats tracking error though

Reply #659425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scheduling the round when a semi major junior tournament was run down on the peninsula probably wasn't the best weekend to fixture.

Reply #659428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really don't think the WNBL should need to factor in a "semi major" junior tournament lol

Reply #659476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet here we are discussing why there wasn't a good crowd ? A lot of families who would be in demographic for their crowd unavailable. Do you work in marketing for Ba by any chance?

Reply #659477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was an away game for Melbourne Boomers so they were expected to go to the change rooms after the game. But I did see some players signing autographs and having photos with fans after they came out from the change rooms

Reply #659494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yet here we are discussing why there wasn't a good crowd ? A lot of families who would be in demographic for their crowd unavailable. Do you work in marketing for Ba by any chance?"

The reason they would not have had huge crowds is the distance those interstate teams fans would need to travel to support their teams, the fsctvneither BA or WNBL bother to advertise it via main stream media, the fact it was on over three days people have other things to do, yes like attend other sporting commitments , the entire sporting world cannot be put on hold just to run. WNBL game .
Do you seethe major soccer events stop running because a few local teams are playing
Get real you don't have to work in marketing to see a "semi major" junior tournament and hour away from the event is not going to be the cause of smaller than hoped for crowds lol

Reply #659496 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754